• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Sometimes when I don't know what to do with a knockdown, I just down smash the opponent and it turns into a big combo.

I saw Jolteon do something kind of cute on the stream yesterday. He jab reset a space animal below 30 and IMMEDIATELY down smashed to get the last two hits only. Because he hit with the last hit, he was able to continue to tech chase (hitting super late with down smash is kind of pro) and it was kind of neat. I might experiment with that because it looked cool and it did 23% total (including the jab), which is more than what I currently do at that percent (jab reset > up smash).

Oh yeah this was vs a Fox. I wouldn't bother trying it vs Falcon. His SDI out of the jab reset is really easy and he's fatter so the down smash hits might not knock over either. I'd probably have to figure out when they knock over Fox too (so I don't do the chunk of damage and then lose my punish - that would suck). I imagine DI away probably ruins this too but idgaf.
Haha, I thought barely anyone was watching that stream. ^^

gm jack

Smash Lord
Sometimes when I don't know what to do with a knockdown, I just down smash the opponent and it turns into a big combo.

I saw Jolteon do something kind of cute on the stream yesterday. He jab reset a space animal below 30 and IMMEDIATELY down smashed to get the last two hits only. Because he hit with the last hit, he was able to continue to tech chase (hitting super late with down smash is kind of pro) and it was kind of neat. I might experiment with that because it looked cool and it did 23% total (including the jab), which is more than what I currently do at that percent (jab reset > up smash).

Oh yeah this was vs a Fox. I wouldn't bother trying it vs Falcon. His SDI out of the jab reset is really easy and he's fatter so the down smash hits might not knock over either. I'd probably have to figure out when they knock over Fox too (so I don't do the chunk of damage and then lose my punish - that would suck). I imagine DI away probably ruins this too but idgaf.
Doesn't jab reset usmash just lead into either a regrab or a tech chase as well?

TvH

Smash Rookie
I was wondering if there are any Sheik techniques that I should practice? Like falco and fox practicing pillaring and short hop lasers, is there anything like that for Sheik that it is important that I get the feel for it.

silentSWAG

Smash Lord
it all depends on which style the falco portraits
but you can abuse gimps on FOD easily
i personaly rather just play on battle field tho
cuz lasers are such a drag and battle field's platforms are easy to get to and avoid sh lasers

soap

Smash Hero
you'll notice it's a little above her foot. easier to space into things above you. You gotta take it real low to sweetspot short grounded characters.

crouching jigglypuff is very hard

The Great Gonzales

Smash Ace
nah M2K is just good, you cant say a macth-up is 50/50 cause X player wins it. That would be like saying Fox vs. Peach is 50-50 cause Armada wins it. Macth-ups are when talking about players on equal skill level.

Meljin

Smash Apprentice
Matchs-up are about players on the top of the metagame, in fact.

I was wondering, about the match-up spacie vs Sheik, how can we edgeguard when the Fox/Falco is Up-B ing like that :

(yeah awesome Paint skills...)

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
Best if you know they are going to do it is run off fair, guaranteed stock.

That requires a lot of commitment though and the other option is to simply throw a needle. They'll drop down and have to up b again. Then run off the stage immediately to fair/nair them out of their up b

And I don't think Fox vs Sheik is even at all. 55-45 probably. Fox's combo's are easier to execute and every hit can lead to one at any percent.

Jolteon

Matchs-up are about players on the top of the metagame, in fact.

I was wondering, about the match-up spacie vs Sheik, how can we edgeguard when the Fox/Falco is Up-B ing like that :

run off fair, or needles.

@Tr3mor: How do you go from not being "even at all" to it being "55-45 probably"? The fact that you would attribute the match-up to being so close to even would also imply that you believe there is enough flexibility in match-up opinion for it to be considered even.

I do agree that Fox's combos are easier to execute, though.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Sheik vs Fox... it's not enough of a loss or win to warrant a character switch. Whatever the ratio is, it can be overcome by being good or whatever. Same thing with Sheik vs Falco.

ICs I'm less convinced but I'm willing to attribute that to my total and complete lack of practice vs a decent ICs. Puff seems manageable with enough practice... in addition to being on point you have to be playing with excruciating care & precision. And even then you might lose. Oh well.

If we wanted easy matches vs Puff & ICs we would have picked Fox.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I was skimming the thread by quickly scrolling through it, and I saw this and thought initially that it was a crude drawing of the outline of America.

Everything makes so much sense now. Falco is stuck in Alaska and wants to come back to the contiguous United States, and "Le Me" is guarding the border between BC and Washington. Which means "Le Me" is probably the ******* that searched our car at the border for an hour and a half on the way back from the last BC tourney.

Meljin

Smash Apprentice
Everything makes so much sense now. Falco is stuck in Alaska and wants to come back to the contiguous United States, and "Le Me" is guarding the border between BC and Washington. Which means "Le Me" is probably the ******* that searched our car at the border for an hour and a half on the way back from the last BC tourney.
Lol, that's an awesome interpretation :D
Abstract Paint art is definitely abstract.

Thanks a lot, I thought for some reasons that an Up-B like this will have the priority over the needles or a dropzone fair.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I was skimming the thread by quickly scrolling through it, and I saw this and thought initially that it was a crude drawing of the outline of America.

LMFAO!!! Toph

Edit: how do you edge gaurd peach when she is floating above you?

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
so i've been teaching my little brother sheik and finally got past the neutral stuff and started trying to teach him edgeguarding vs fox off of a bthrow but i don't really know all the mixups. could some people post how you like to cover phantasm?

I was mainly wondering if it's better to sh back and then bair on reaction to the jump phantasm? can they get by this by instantly phantasm sweetspotting? so then you just hog/needle the ledge to block the sweetspot?

though sometimes i've seen m2k just stand there facing back and then reactively bair high phantasm and just ftilt the phantasm at him..this loses to sweetspot as well though.

and i guess a final option would be run off rising bair/nair. Though I don't know any advantages/disadvantages of the nair/bair. So if anyone could discuss that and the various coverages of the methods i mentioned or others, I would appreciate it. It's hard to teach someone how to edgeguard if you're uncertain what methods are best anyway..

just from looking at it run off rising something seems strictly better. what does it lose to? sometimes you just can't get off in time? is that the problem

Jolteon

run off rising nair loses to instant DJ nair/dair, and air dodge if you do it early.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
implying you shouldnt switch to falco, use phantasm, and pretentd to be his friend and ask him to leave.

Sweet™

Smash Famous @PennStateSweet #SweetNation
Premium
What's the best way to practice tech chase grabs against Fox?
I can't seem to get it right whenever I try. I'll get one or two grabs (JC Grabs), and when I go for another, the Fox sidesteps and punishes me. I guess my speed is too slow, and I'm stuck.

gm jack

Smash Lord
If you are variable in your ability to be fast enough, try using tricks like waiting for the spot dodge and grabbing that in order to discourage automatic buffering the dodge in hope you mess up.

Sweet™

Smash Famous @PennStateSweet #SweetNation
Premium
Stupid question, but would it help if I had someone play as Fox, and let me tech chase grab practice them, while they do different reactions?

Jolteon

Yes, but I think it works best by practicing on multiple people, lots of people have tech habits which will condition you to wait for them, rather than tech chasing on reaction.

:phone:

Top Bottom