• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

-dMT-

Smash Lord

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Reserved for my on-going critique of dMT's vids.

1st vid: Pathetic... All you guys did was make mistakes and grab one another's ledge when the mistake was made. The fox looked good though, besides killing himself 2x.. I really don't have anything to say to that video... Oh, don't drop your tilt locks on spacies.

2nd Vid: WTF AT 1:20?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Pros: -OK now that that's said... Brilliant use of 1 ftilt -> Dsmash... If you have read the threads, I am an avid supporter of that combo vs Marth, Zelda, and Luigi.
Cons: -4 simultaneous spotdodges will do nothing. :( Don't do that.

3rd Vid: -A Con Ask Villi and Marsulas... This is not the place for Zelda vids though :(

4th Vid:
-Pros: Good Fair DI with Sheik the first time, but you failed to do it the second time you almost died...
-Cons: Don't roll dodge around so much. Nasty habit. Did you use to play Lucario or Pit? That could explain it. That was my problem back when I started on the Sheik boards, thankfully someone pointed this out, and now my Sheik is progressing very nicely.
PS- good use of platform vanish glides, I use vanish quite a bit. I likes it.
PSS- That Pit is a sniper with those arrows haha

The 2nd Vs. Fox one:
-Pros: 1st life- good improvement on your ftilt lock, solid finish with it.
-Cons: Um chain recovery more... I was just so shocked by your improvement that game, I forgot to look for cons :)

---2nd match of that set (Vs Link)
-Pros: Good Fair gimp on Link. Way to get those needles charged :) Good Bair gimp. (I know it's not hard to gimp Link, but good job exploiting his horrible recovery.) Good vanish out of nowhere, however you used it too much and got way predictable with it (That's a con too).
-Cons: Don't start with needle throw, unless you are against an opponent who likes to charge things, ie. Donkey Punch, or Lucario/Samus's energy ball. Shame shame, don't get stage spiked when your enemy is already gimped... Still roll dodging too much. Use Fair DI.

Vs Captain Falcon 1
-Pros:
-Cons:
Vs Captain Falcon 2
-Pros:
-Cons:
Vs Olimar
Pros: The Olimar was freakin' horrible, good for you. Nice vanish glide edgehog, worked, but is hilariously unsafe... Could have easily got you killed. (Pro and Con.) Nice Ledge drops->Fair.
Cons: Don't use a dash attack vs an Olimar, he will sheild grab the crap outta you. You have no idea, my roommate is probably the best Oli in NC. STILL Less roll dodging, less spot dodging in this matchup, considering Olimar's grab punishes spot dodges.
PS I LOLED at the SA'ed Vanish. XD LOLOLOL.

Vs ICs
Vs Pikachu

General tips overall that might help your game: Try SHed bair spacing. I love it. More sheild cancelled dash grabs. Mindgame a little bit more too, but not too much if ya know what I mean. Learn DACUS, it helps, but is not essential to your arsenal... well it kinda is, but not in the beginning, you need to work on the not roll dodging and limiting your excessive spot dodging first.

Looking back, I don't know why I did pros and cons, seeing as in a lot of the positive things you did, there was something negative.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
wow amazing critique. Thanks for all the time put into it. Also sorry about the Zelda vid, with all the videos I uploaded it kinda slipped into this bunch. Yea my first fight vs LucarioOwl, when he used Fox and Marth I lost that set horribly. No Johns, but overall I was having an off-day, **** was going wrong outside of the smash world and my ehad was busy.

I definitely see what you mean about th dodge rolling too i noticed it myself (used to main Pit).
Yes, Xeno is new at Olimar, and not good, which explains my over-aggressive approach.
Second fight versus Fox was more like how I play...I cringed at the first match, but had to upload it to get more critiques.

Thanks for all the input again man. Will come back with even better vids keeping those in mind.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Woah dmtmanga... what is with all the sheild dashing? (what ever it's called) just walking would be better in half those situations. Infinitely less chance to trip better spacing and sheiks walk isn't slow either.

Don't shield dash and then needle charge just cancel the dash animation with needles, skip the middle ground.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Hypocricy much?
yeah after east responded to me with his intent i had the sound idea to, you know, wait for some vids that actually NEED critiques

i was also preventing this topic from turning into a "i suck" contest of doom, which OBVIOUSLY worked =D

by the way viet i don't hate you i just think you should stop cutting yourself at night and crying because steel doesn't love you

edit: i have a story to write for english so i will do a formal critique of dmt later but for now a few words:

more fthrow and bthrow, you weren't reading the DI off the dthrow so just mix it up instead
why are you making so much unnecessary movement? you're like ZOMG I WANT TO DASH ALL THE TIME AND I LOVE TO SHIELD CANCEL and then finding out that it doesn't quite work that way when you get hit a few times. you're also finding out that the whole unnecessary movement thing gets you usmashed when you do some weird **** offstage and you decide to recover.
everytime you spotdodged you dsmashed or rolled back, trufax. if you're going to spot dodge, don't make what you do afterwards predictable
random vanishes. stop those.
why are you doing anything BUT a usmash to lucario owl after ftilt locks? efficiency is the key.
i would've liked to see a little more chain usage even though it sucks if badly spaced against fast fallers (all of them have fsmashes that reach farther than the chain lol)

Flamingo

Smash Lord
I agree with what Clowsui said about the grabs, read and predict the DI, and then follow up with a safe aerial.
Woah dmtmanga... what is with all the sheild dashing? (what ever it's called) just walking would be better in half those situations. Infinitely less chance to trip better spacing and sheiks walk isn't slow either.

Don't shield dash and then needle charge just cancel the dash animation with needles, skip the middle ground.
<3, let's not call these Shield dashing when he is indeed roll dodging, it might confuse some people with sheild cancelled dashes, which is actually a pretty useful technique.

PS I tried needle cancelling dashes, and it's pretty awesome for retreating for a needle charge, although I wouldn't recommend approaching with it, unless you want to mindgame dangerously haha.

Villi

Smash Lord
<3, let's not call these Shield dashing when he is indeed roll dodging, it might confuse some people with sheild cancelled dashes, which is actually a pretty useful technique.
T_T b reverse needle charges are so difficult out of a run.

demodemo

Smash Ace
??? you need to jump for the b reverse, you can't do it out of a run

dmt i watched the two matches with snake because i was bored

i don't feel like writing a huge critique so i'll just point out the things that made me cringe

aerial vanishes lol, what are you doing, maybe once every couple of games but seriously that is really easy to avoid.

ftilt to usmash even when not killing. come on, save the usmash, you should use utilt, its safer and keeps snake in pressure zone. if you want to get him off you, nair would suffice, it hits pretty far

not enough aerial pressure. notably you are not using bair enough.

that is a really jab happy snake, he kept doing it Oos and stuff. you can SDI out of the jabs, and you should also dtilt since jab cant hit you then. this forces him to use ftilt.

not enough grabs??? i don't know, it seemed every time you were close to him you would just forwardtilt, no matter what percentage. at really low percentages you are probably better off grabbing and following up from there.

while camping, pick up the grenades and throw them back. this will slow down his camping since he's forced to cook them. get used to throwing items with c stick and jumping with the index finger. sheik has a lot of aerial mobility with items if you know how to use her.

apart from that, you were making mistakes. not gonna point out specific ones because i'm lazy, but yeah.

anyway, if you ever intend on playing in a tournament, you should probably know that grenades will break out of the tilt lock, and you will rarely get more than 3 ftilts before he blows you both up. damage on snake is worth much less than damage on nimble sheik, so watch out for it.

Villi

Smash Lord
Grab is a safe option if Snake grenade drops and vanishes are occasionally worthwhile. I bet walking away and throwing a needle could work. Anyone know if any of Sheik's throws won't blow up a grenade still in Snake's hand?

PS, you can b reverse needle charge on the ground. Two technical errors I make sometimes are accidentally b reversing a chain and rolling backwards. So... Iunno. I've definitely done it before, but messing up puts you in a pretty bad position for a little trick lol B reversing needle storm is super easy, tho.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Great stuff guys thanks once again. Another thing, which direction do you guys SDI for Snake's jabs? Just away or at an angle like up and away, down and away?

I also know that Snake can get out of the tilt lock with greandes, but seeing as he wasn't doing this, I continued to ftilt him. I was aware of the fac that I decayed usmash too much while I could've sh naired or utilted a lot more, but in a way I guess I was trying to get it in my memory that at later percents ftilt lock to usmash will kill.

I feel like I had a better Sheik when I first picked her up, since I've built up many nasty habits in the process of continuously using her, many times against not the most challenging opponents. Any constructive things to do, or methods of removing said habits and reviving an intelligent Sheik? I feel like my muscle memory is working against me...

Thanks again guys

Flamingo

Smash Lord
What did that have to do with my post? lol

demodemo said:
aerial vanishes lol, what are you doing, maybe once every couple of games but seriously that is really easy to avoid.
Agreed with should only be used once per every couple games vs the same opponent because they might expect it, but if someone hasn't seen my "combo" I usually get a few aerial vanish kills per day while playing.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
I like the vanish catch comboes I tend to get every once in a while. Definitely not something to shoot for, but on a very rare occasion I vanish counter on the ground, catch the opponent by appearing in their trajectory, which then leads to a 'lagless' landing to dsmash or fsmash. Definitely escapable, but if done like once on an unsuspecting opponent, it just works and looks awesome.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
lol Ankoku gets so much attention...

Wait is that like your first avatar without a loli in it?

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Always wondered something. What do the different colored names signify? OR is there a way to change the color of your name in the settings and I just haven't found it?

Flamingo

Smash Lord

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Yea I know about the whole post count thing, and I knew red was mod and such. Other colors threw me off. Thanks for the link.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
I'm siggin this strictly because Blistering is one of my all time faves.
<3333

dMT, all my judgements are from this one set, so if you changed your playstyle or just played bad this set, I don't know.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iZJ5qf9Ejew&feature=channel

- Stop rolling into people/past people. At all. Rolling away can sort of be acceptable, but even that should be sparing. As soon as you start that roll, you are moving to a fixed place which a good opponent will instantly pick up on and punish. It's invincibility frames suck too:
INVULNERABLE: 5-19
END: 31
-Why the **** could your opponent not recover and just randomly SD'd? Brawl matches should never last 2 minutes. The few times where he did recover, your edgeguards were pretty futile. Learn to predict his trajectory path and intercept it, it looked like you were guessing a lot of the time.
- Use needles A LOT MORE. You can never needle camp in excess here, you never have to approach, in fact you shouldn't. Captain Falcon doesn't have a projectile, you have a good one, put the two together.
-Why the **** did your opponent pretend he was Fox and couldn't SDI out of F Tilt?
- I'm not going to go all Overswarm and say D Tilt through CF's suckish priority, but try to bear in mind that most of Sheik's attacks will beat his. Captain Falcon doesn't have much of answer to things like walking F Tilt. U Tilt is also **** in this matchup, use it more, platform pressure, ending F Tilts etc.
- Learn to get good with the chain. Even if you're not perfect enough that he will eventually get through, CF will still take a big chunk of damage trying. He literally has no answer to it.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Nice stuff. Thanks Blistering Speed. Yea overall that matchup was not the best one to critique on as I was messin aorund the entire time. We took the friendly thing too far in that as I was screamin mad random ninja ****, and my friend was playin Ninja Rap from his laptop, which added to the hilarity. It also explains his Raze's SDs.

On the other hand though, you do get to see a lot of my bad habits come into play here as I was basically not thinking. So in hat sense, by exaggerating the bad, I guess it becomes easier to see what I do wrong.

I'll keep the chain in mind, as well as the needles.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
I've got an idea of a new tech for Sheik... Kinda a lure, and/or situational. Might capture some vid tomorrow if it works. If it really works, I'll make a new thread. If it semi-works, I'll post it here.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I agree with what Clowsui said about the grabs, read and predict the DI, and then follow up with a safe aerial.

PS I tried needle cancelling dashes, and it's pretty awesome for retreating for a needle charge, although I wouldn't recommend approaching with it, unless you want to mindgame dangerously haha.
Shield dashing is when you cancel your dash with a shield, correct? Brawl has such silly names for techniques sometimes I get them confused.

dmt would dash/run whatever, cancel his dash with a sheild and then change and shoot needles.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Shield dashing is when you cancel your dash with a shield, correct? Brawl has such silly names for techniques sometimes I get them confused.

dmt would dash/run whatever, cancel his dash with a sheild and then change and shoot needles.
Right, an unneccesary shield when charging needles cancells running anyway. The shield-cancelled dash is more appropriate when approaching because it can powershield if the enemy uses a low-frame attack, and you can do a lower-lag grab, or even ftilt or dsmash out of it.

The major error here is the wasting time using shield when he could be charging needles, and if he was indeed approaching with the shield-cancelled dash, needles (throwing nor charging them) would not be a correct move due to the amount of punishment your opponent should give you.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Right, an unneccesary shield when charging needles cancells running anyway. The shield-cancelled dash is more appropriate when approaching because it can powershield if the enemy uses a low-frame attack, and you can do a lower-lag grab, or even ftilt or dsmash out of it.

The major error here is the wasting time using shield when he could be charging needles, and if he was indeed approaching with the shield-cancelled dash, needles (throwing nor charging them) would not be a correct move due to the amount of punishment your opponent should give you.
I understand the pros of a shield canceled dash, that was far from my point in the original sentence you quoted.

F00LY

Smash Apprentice
My mistake. Ignore this. So sorry.

Edit 2: Wow I feel lame. Hopefully no one saw that haha. That's what you get for multitabbing youtube videos + the forums and trying to make a logical post.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
I understand the pros of a shield canceled dash, that was far from my point in the original sentence you quoted.
I know, I was only trying to eliminate confusion by suggesting the right terms.

Anyone want to critique my vids?? :confused:
I'm on it. I'm going to double post to reserve your critique if anyone doesn't post soon

THE SHEIK THREADS ARE SO FREAKIN DEAD!

jc_off_the_heezay

Smash Apprentice
I'm just trying to get better with my Sheik as much as possible so I'll be putting up matches here instead of making new useless threads every time. I'll update almost every other day or so. Oh By the way Jc_Off_The_Heezay = JOTH

Vids can be watched in High quality

Newest Matches

Sheik vs. C.Falcon 2/4/09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Du-IEsTmY&feature=channel_page

Sheik vs. Snake 2/4/09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPZXeiMpOxg&feature=channel

Other matches

Sheik vs C.Falcon 2/3/09 (A must watch, especially ending XD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZSrUw0bcnI&feature=channel_page

Sheik vs R.O.B. 2/3/09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkKUmoEVmrA&feature=channel

Thee Incubus

Smash Journeyman
Here is a vid of my Sheik. Critique!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmxERbDlhxk

I'm just trying to get better with my Sheik as much as possible so I'll be putting up matches here instead of making new useless threads every time. I'll update almost every other day or so. Oh By the way Jc_Off_The_Heezay = JOTH

Vids can be watched in High quality

Newest Matches

Sheik vs C.Falcon 2/3/09 (A must watch, especially ending XD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZSrUw0bcnI&feature=channel_page

Sheik vs R.O.B. 2/3/09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkKUmoEVmrA&feature=channel
The guys you are playing in those vids don't seem that good :/
Good matches though aside from your SD on second vid. Spacing is something I'd keep working at.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Stealth's Critique:

I was actually surprised... you have a pretty good Sheik.

This is for the 1st video, if I think you have the same playstyle throughout, I will do just one critique, instead one for each vid.

What I liked...
Nice ftilt combos and nair.
Way to always have needles, good job.
Good grab game. GREAT GRAB GAME! Although I suggest using Shield-cancelled dash grabs more often though.

Fthrow->Grab is sexxxy. I'll have to try that one out.

Things to work on...
- Less roll dodging, although it looked like it worked most of the time somehow. (Retreating with the back roll is not that bad though.)
Something you can do instead of rolling is running... Sheik has the 3rd fastest run speed in the game I think, so utilize it. Run away, charge needles, mix him up, etc.
- Try using Fair against Marth over the ledge, if he doesn't react appropriately, he will die
- Also try 1ftilt->Dsmash, unless you like keeping dsmash to kill with. It's almost a true combo (yes, I said it.) at low %s.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Thanks Flamingo for the complements!

The Fthrow->Grab can also be done with Dthrow->Grab, and you have more options (IMO) to combo out of the Dthrow.
I'm trying not to roll so much now, but I'm so use to rolling that it's pretty hard not to. If you want to see my replay against a pro Falco, look at Kismet2. I'm pretty even against his Falco (his main), but I got lucky on the recorded match :chuckle:.

Thanks for the critique :)

Top Bottom