• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Youtube seems to be running extremely slow right now, so I'll critique later.

EDIT:
Generally, your movement is very staggered and uneven, making me think you're not familiar with Sheik's mobility. This is supported by your heavy use of spotdodges and rolls. You also have an over-reliance on gimmicks (boost usmash, grab release) and when you go out of your way to abuse them you start to get punished for it. Pick one of your four vids and I'll do an in-depth critique, if you want.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Goodness Rathy, you've gotta find a better mode of transportation than rolling. You're also spot dodging way too much. If you weren't rolling you were running. Walk don't run unless you need to. 2nd Steel wrote up a guide detailing what I'm saying in the Tactical Section. When you run you shut out many many options you have, but by walking you have a lot of things you can do.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but you should have no need to approach Wario. Needle camp the hell out of him. I'm pretty sure you can just shield the bike and then pivot grab him. Speaking of grabs, nice grab release to Up smash death. Use Directional Influence. You lost your first life at 92%. I'm pretty sure that you could have lived longer if you DI'ed the hit.

P.S. I've got some videos coming of a very very very small [8 people] tournament from yesterday
Yeah when I pick up brawl I always tend to rely on rolling and spot dodging a lot. Guess it comes from maining lucario and DDD >.< I never though of pivot grabbing him off the bike. Thanks for the advice.

I can have more vids up pretty much when ever, but I'll wait until friday so I have more time to improve.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Generally, your movement is very staggered and uneven, making me think you're not familiar with Sheik's mobility. This is supported by your heavy use of spotdodges and rolls. You also have an over-reliance on gimmicks (boost usmash, grab release) and when you go out of your way to abuse them you start to get punished for it. Pick one of your four vids and I'll do an in-depth critique, if you want.
Hmmmm.... Could you critique the fourth vid?

Thanks

Why didn't you upload the one where this Ryoko person won? I'm quite sure Ryoko person in question won a certain match despite not knowing how to play his main correctly.
lol. Well, either I didn't record the match, or you're talking about was when I was playing as Pikachu because I don't have it. If you are looking for the Pikachu matches, it's on the Pikachu boards.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Code:
0:11	I... I don't know what to say. Opening Transform..?

0:15	Looks like the guy's nice enough to let you Transform back.

0:18	You have this really bad habit of attempting to shield-grab
	even when you're clearly not in range. Stop it.

0:24	Again!

0:37	Are you trying to ftilt or something? This is the second
	fsmash you've done at a % where it isn't worth it.

0:44	Are you seeing this? STOP SHIELDGRABBING AT AIR!!!

0:46	You do the same thing three times. Namely, you roll backward,
	dash attack, get punished, roll backward, dash attack, get
	punished, and then do all that one more time. It didn't
	work the first time, and it didn't work the next two
	either.

1:04	This Marth didn't punish you for it, but generally rolling
	toward someone is a bad plan and a bad habit. Try to
	avoid it.

1:13	I don't know what is up with your opponents and their
	tendency to eat random tipper usmashes, but don't get used
	to it at higher levels of play.

1:28	You spotdodged, got punished. Generally spotdodging too much
	makes you predictable, try to keep yourself in situations
	where dodging isn't required.

1:38	Useless shieldgrab again.

1:42	Empty boost usmash, no hit and no punishment.

2:21	Is this guy awake? Nevertheless, wasting a boost usmash for
	damage at such a low % is generally not a good idea.

2:26	Your fsmash should've been punished, but the Marth decided
	to try to jump out between the first and second hits.

2:35	Grab meets air.

2:54	Try not to save your opponent in the process of edgeguarding.

3:00	Bad shieldgrab again, but that's okay, because the Marth did
	something stupid.
Basically, I think you didn't play very smoothly, but the Marth seemed to play even worse, whether it's due to not knowing the Sheik matchup or just being unsafe as all hell against SHEIK and not bothering to punish any of your dodge/shieldgrab habits I don't know. I saw one or two points where you air-dodged right at him but he screwed up his timing on punishing with usmash... don't rely on that, as I remember it got you killed against the G&W. You played pretty solidly from 1:45 to 2:20, though.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
0:11 I... I don't know what to say. Opening Transform..?
I think this is because he tried to drop and charge needles and just fudged the timing on the pressing of the buttons.

The matches I recorded of the small roundrobin tourney I went to Saturday are up.

Every video is chock full of me getting ***** more than ever before.

Sheik [East] vs. Marth [Burly] 1
Sheik [East] vs. Marth [Burly] 2
Sheik [East] vs. Marth [Burly] 3

Sheik [East] vs. Ice Climbers [Town] F*** blind picks...

Sheik [East] vs. Bowser [BlakA]

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Okay, just to make sure I got everything I need to work on.

• I need to shield grab when it will definitely grab
  • Not spot dodge so much
  • Stop rolling towards the opponent
  • Shield grab smarter
  • Find a safer way to land
  • Stop trying to DACUS so much
  • Work on shield grabbing

Is there anything else?

clowsui

Smash Legend
Code:
0:11	I... I don't know what to say. Opening Transform..?

0:15	Looks like the guy's nice enough to let you Transform back.

0:18	You have this really bad habit of attempting to shield-grab
	even when you're clearly not in range. Stop it.

0:24	Again!

0:37	Are you trying to ftilt or something? This is the second
	fsmash you've done at a % where it isn't worth it.

0:44	Are you seeing this? STOP SHIELDGRABBING AT AIR!!!

0:46	You do the same thing three times. Namely, you roll backward,
	dash attack, get punished, roll backward, dash attack, get
	punished, and then do all that one more time. It didn't
	work the first time, and it didn't work the next two
	either.

1:04	This Marth didn't punish you for it, but generally rolling
	toward someone is a bad plan and a bad habit. Try to
	avoid it.

1:13	I don't know what is up with your opponents and their
	tendency to eat random tipper usmashes, but don't get used
	to it at higher levels of play.

1:28	You spotdodged, got punished. Generally spotdodging too much
	makes you predictable, try to keep yourself in situations
	where dodging isn't required.

1:38	Useless shieldgrab again.

1:42	Empty boost usmash, no hit and no punishment.

2:21	Is this guy awake? Nevertheless, wasting a boost usmash for
	damage at such a low % is generally not a good idea.

2:26	Your fsmash should've been punished, but the Marth decided
	to try to jump out between the first and second hits.

2:35	Grab meets air.

2:54	Try not to save your opponent in the process of edgeguarding.

3:00	Bad shieldgrab again, but that's okay, because the Marth did
	something stupid.
Basically, I think you didn't play very smoothly, but the Marth seemed to play even worse, whether it's due to not knowing the Sheik matchup or just being unsafe as all hell against SHEIK and not bothering to punish any of your dodge/shieldgrab habits I don't know. I saw one or two points where you air-dodged right at him but he screwed up his timing on punishing with usmash... don't rely on that, as I remember it got you killed against the G&W. You played pretty solidly from 1:45 to 2:20, though.
I think Viet might cry XD

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
East, I won't critique that Bowser match considering the Bowser was so horrible (seriously, F Smash spam?).

For the Marth 1 Match:

+ You were right to not use the chain, Marth can counter against it and also DS out unless you're using it perfectly.
+ You did a good job baiting the DS out of F Tilt lock, try simply shielding as well after two F Tilts and punishing from there. I'd also recommend that you try more out of F Tilt then simply U Smash, you want that fresh for KO percentages and it's not that reliable compared to a simple U Tilt/ N Air (unless F Tilt's decayed enough).
- I don't need to tell you how stupid the SD was. A death at 50% from SD in any high level match is often the difference be winning and losing.
- Try mixing up your ground game. Whilst F Tilt is god, don't be afraid to throw a few jabs in, if only to mix things up.
- Where's my spaced B Airs? These are very important in this matchup, both in general and especially in edgeguard. When hanging on the ledge when Marth is offstage, use the chain to renew invincility too. Just a lot of your edgeguards were fruitless and unnecessary (more strange Vanish's).
- I saw you approaching. Stop that.
- Running shield more. It's really good against Marth.
- I realise it's difficult to pull needles when he's keeping the pressure well but you still need to make more of an effort to, it will **** with his spacing, not to mention needles are one of the few projectiles that give Marth trouble.
- Vanishing after an F Throw is risky enough without doing it straight upwards.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I think Viet might cry XD
Viet only cries on lonely rainy nights. /truestory

He has learned to cope with his shortcomings. =P

TL 4 lyfe

Also I'm pretty sure you required them Billy. I saw you press your weird contraption repeatedly on and off between matches. Don't lie. You just...don't want to bother uploading them. ;P

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
By the way, from now on I'm only going to critique matches that are close or involve you losing, because it's not amusing critiquing you destroying someone.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Ankoku is this your monthly contribution to the forums? If so you should stay a little longer, I will DEFINITELY have vids this time, next Monday >___>

Tristan_win

Not dead.
:3 Ankoku requirements for him to poke at people flaws is entertaining.

...Although I can't blame him for them since I rarely review people as it is.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
Well it would make sense to have your Sheik critiqued when you need help in an area of advancement to be better, instead of some one giving you a pat on the back for doing good.
And WiFi is highly irregular and teaches so many bad habits, I can't see myself playing Wifi any more because it makes me to predictable and very campy, and that moves over to my offline game which is bad.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Not enough ftilt in a matchup that demands it.

Other than that, critiquing Sheik dittos is silly. lol

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Why does everyone post vids against CF, dittos, GAY CRAP, etc. to be critiqued? I don't understand. Seriously, half these vids are so one-sided because people want others to think their Sheik is ****, that we can't actually gauge how good you are, but rather how bad your opponent, or the matchup in general is.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Use needles way~ more. You shield dash a lot which gains you no ground and a lot of the time leaves you in a worse position that you what you started with. Use back air a lot more to pressure when your opponent is near you but don't feel like you are the one that needs to approach, thats what makes needles such a powerful projectile.

East

Crappy Imitation
Phew, had to do a TON of catching up. 1st post is updated with all videos posted through March 13. I urge you guys to start thinking of videos where you think the sheik player did very well. We're going to start deciding on a few reputable player videos soon!

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I only watched the first match of the first video and this is what I got from it. btw my sheik sucks so take all of my advice with a grain of salt seeing as I could be flat out wrong. I just felt someone had to continue critiquing. =/

Try not too dsmash at percents where it can't kill, since f-tilt is a much better option at those percents and you need dsmash to kill.

I don't find too much wrong with rolling, but don't roll into your opponent, its like asking to be punished. You can jump OOS and do whatever instead, or just shield drop to ftilt (ftilt just to have some hit boxes out so you don't get grabbed or w/e)

If you want to follow up f-tilt at low percents, I suggest grab or dash grab over dsmash.

I find it better to charge needles when they're away, rather than just shooting a single one, then wait till they land or and other oppurtunity to release them.

Try to mix up your throws and follow up depending on how they DI your previous throws. Or wait for the airdodge and punish. Or you could always just throw and charge needles (I do this when I need to be REALLY campy). You can switch between following up immediately, waiting, and charging needles, to keep them guessing.

Try nair (or utilt, especially if you're saving nair for some reason) out of f-tilt as percents where they won't get hit by upsmash anymore.

And random upsmashes or running upsmashes almost never hit.

Probably some other things I should have mentioned like how you neglect a lot of sheik's moveset, but I gave the advice I was fairly sure of. And you did stuff well too, but I don't care to mention any of it. =P

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=202033

can you critique this for me please =] - Light
You're sheik looks interesting so I feel motivated to try another critique.
edit: You're sheik is too good! I love the style you play with and being able to keep up and even beat santi is ****ing beast. I can't really comment on your sheik, because its so much better than mine, but I can say light's vids should be considered for the reputable player vids that East was just talking about.

Ok, one comment. Don't rapid jab on stage. jab,jab, (crouch?) grab won't get you punished as bad.

stealth3654

Smash Lord

iLight

Smash Lord
I have another video I would like critiqued in addition to these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhR-_UAD3XE

Thanks

Your giving the luigi too much time to set up. when you were moving around you were doing well. If you watch, when the luigi is playing he's kind of jumping and moving in circles and your just standing there. Thus he can confuse you because luigi floats in strange ways. But you have the greater speed in this situation and it pains me to see you give up that advantage by sitting there. Play more aggressively and force him to sit around confused. You can put him into a situation that he won't understand what to do. Also nice use of needles to dacus, i love doing that. props on that. Also if you go for more grabs it can assist you in controlling the way that he moves around the stage, because whenever you throw him its almost like you get to ledge guard him on stage because luigi can't keep up with sheik speed wise. The only thing you would have to watch out for if your spacing him is if he goes for his luigi tornado and if your prepared you can win that fight. And then after you have him set up in this kind of situation, the only things that luigi has that can really out prioritize shiek are his forward smash and down air, so if you watch out for those you win =]

enjoy, and nice sheik i like the way you move, when you decide to =p

East

Crappy Imitation
It's hard to comment on a lot of things, because I have to take timing out of the picture [thank you wifi...]

1st Video:

Flashy Kill. d^_^

2nd Video:

You tried to punish him when he was at 38% with an upsmash!? >.< [Wags finger]

I'm not to sure how effective this would have been on Mario [because of his Up B] but you should try dangling the chain from the ledge sometimes.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
It's hard to comment on a lot of things, because I have to take timing out of the picture [thank you wifi...]

1st Video:

Flashy Kill. d^_^

2nd Video:

You tried to punish him when he was at 38% with an upsmash!? >.< [Wags finger]

I'm not to sure how effective this would have been on Mario [because of his Up B] but you should try dangling the chain from the ledge sometimes.
In the second video I manage to get a mario helpless fall toward but he wasn't really in tilt lock % so I did the most damaging attack I could possibly use which was the usmash. Since I promptly killed him soon after at around 100% on that stock it means I didn't decay it to a point that using it that early meant anything.

I think it was a good decision and would do it again today.

other then that watching those videos again made me smile because I kept nic picking what I would of done now especially in the first video.

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZk2eKi86wg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAYaXCtHCc4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_ylxUX93i4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlgz4F5x8yA&feature=channel_page

Anybody willing to just comment if not critique? Character specific or just in general would be appreciated. These are my only video's, and I'm not too proud of them, lol, but any help would be....well, helpful ^_^d

EDIT: I have already acknowledged the fact that I need more grab. Some dash attacks were meant to be DACUS, but I'm claiming cold basement and nerves johns, lol.

clowsui

Smash Legend
stop rolling so much, take advantage of sheik's mobility
why do you always charge needles at a start of a stock? furthermore charging after invincibility + rolling around = ???
chain jacket nice LOL
peach a b-sticker? i saw a free pull off the edge there...
hmm not abusing ftilt enough, nor are you using quite enough nair. camp the platform more! peach has to approach you on there unless it rolls by her...in which you will prolly have needles =)

this is just what i saw in first vid

Top Bottom