• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Grab Tornado

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
Can be done simply by timing grab during a tornado, no power shield needed.

So every character can punish tornado, or at least grounded tornado (although i'm ignorant to grab hitboxes, someone should test)

I think it should work on aerial tornado though, since aerial tornado is more vulnerable than grounded tornado. (for example, if you uptilt aerial tornado as snake, it will beat it, but up tilt will only cancel grounded tornado out, taking no damage.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
It depends on the character's grab range. Grab is disjointed, so if you perfectly space a grab, it may outrange one side of Nado, and armor frames will then kick into play as you snatch MK. It's not reliable enough though.

Pivot grabbing is more viable, since the hitbox duration is impressive and the hitbox doesn't shrink as you slide backwards.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
when we first figured this out and tested it, we did so with marth and snake. tyrant was able to grab consistently.

obviously it won't work with characters that have dumb grab frames - zelda, olimar ect.

i wonder if wario can B bite through it.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
I would think probly not since you'd have to jump then bite or drop the shield first, it'd end up taking just as long to activate as a tether grab. Junk and I were talking about this, it'd obviously be really **** for DDD in particular if you can time it and might make that matchup much closer

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
when we first figured this out and tested it, we did so with marth and snake. tyrant was able to grab consistently.

obviously it won't work with characters that have dumb grab frames - zelda, olimar ect.

Wario...huh?
I feel like his hurt box is a little too exposed for him to do it. But , I'm prolly wrong >.>. Have a "good" wario test it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S7IJJZJq-o

Kinda old, but I uploaded this awhile back after it happened in that replay.
Grabbin "Whorenado". I feel like this could help some characters a lot or maybe even MUs.

Nice little dicover Mike/Espy(somewhat). I mean I knew it was possible, but I thought it was "pure" luck when I do it. :dizzy:

I hope ROB can!

toobusytocare

Smash Lord

Ive had bite go through tornado before

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Wait, you can just...grab while it is hitting your shield?

What's the timing? Right after one of the nicks on your shield out of the shieldstun?

Peach's nair is 3 frames...nair OOS may be faster than her grab. Might that be a better choice?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I haven't messed with it without shielding, but it's not that hard to do with shielding first.

As far as my fiddling around with Sonic in this matter, as long as Meta Knight's actual body was near my grab range, Sonic managed to shield grab through the tornado without any particular timing to it.

I'm sure that just grabbing them could work too, but you'd probably need the nado'ing Meta Knight to creep dangerously close to you for that to work. Too early and you eat the rest of the tornado's hitboxes.

I only say that because I saw a Ness pivot grab a Meta Knight during his tornado once, and it worked just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGp8ckBvWX0

Never mind, it looks like the tornado ended. Still up for discussion, though.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Why wouldn't it you when your shield drops to grab though?

At what point do you want to grab?

Flayl

Smash Hero
Bowser's grab is too slow, but no MK is gonna tornado him that low because of fortress anyway.

I do need to practice pivot-grabbing it though.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Wouldn't this depend on.....how the person using Whorenado uses it's momentum? :confused:
Mizu, yeah, but that's the next step.

Oh, alright.
Okay so, step 1: Find timing.
Step 2: Dependin on how momentum is used....do it with out shield. :)

praxis, i think tornado might eat you once you get in the air.
Wait, you can just...grab while it is hitting your shield?

What's the timing? Right after one of the nicks on your shield out of the shieldstun?

Peach's nair is 3 frames...nair OOS may be faster than her grab. Might that be a better choice?
I think it'd eat you up. :ohwell:

I haven't messed with it without shielding, but it's not that hard to do with shielding first.

As far as my fiddling around with Sonic in this matter, as long as Meta Knight's actual body was near my grab range, Sonic managed to shield grab through the tornado without any particular timing to it.

I'm sure that just grabbing them could work too, but you'd probably need the nado'ing Meta Knight to creep dangerously close to you for that to work. Too early and you eat the rest of the tornado's hitboxes.

I only say that because I saw a Ness pivot grab a Meta Knight during his tornado once, and it worked just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGp8ckBvWX0

Never mind, it looks like the tornado ended. Still up for discussion, though.
Wow, Ness can pivot grab it. :confused:
That's good.

Also, I remember a while back.....that on the Ike boards they were talking about how they can Pivot grab Whorenado.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
grab (and similar moves like bite) has the highest priority. Its no suprise that it beats the tornado, but I would think that if the tornado is right on you, it'd hit you before the hitbox of the grab even appears. I think if MKs tornado correctly you shouldn't be shield grabbing them. =/

I think going for pivot grabs when its coming at you is a smarter idea.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Bowser's grab is too slow, but no MK is gonna tornado him that low because of fortress anyway.

I do need to practice pivot-grabbing it though.
What Frame is his grab. Cause grabbin nado...prolly also depends on how fast the grab is.
Mike said Snake & Marth could do it.
And there grab are:
Snake: Frame 8
Marth: Frame 6
Also Ike and Ness can Pivot grab it:
Ike's pivot grab:Frame 9
Ness' pivot grab:Frame 8
if I'm not mistaken that is when there grabs come out.

So what do guys think?
It prolly depends on how fast your grab is....right?
or maybe
How well you time it?

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
btw its really not that hard to do, you should be able to get it relatively fast, it's similar to the timing of a powershield.

you can also powershield grab the tornado which may be more reliable

So what do guys think?
It prolly depends on how fast your grab is....right?
or maybe
How well you time it?

hm, probably timing then. i had a much harder time grabbing with snake, so the fame difference explains it

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'd guess because of grab armor.
Do you still tack on damage on the grabber if they have the grab armor?

If so, look at my video of Sonic shield grabbing it. He doesn't get damage when it happens.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
btw its really not that hard to do, you should be able to get it relatively fast, it's similar to the timing of a powershield.

you can also powershield grab the tornado which may be more reliable

hm, probably timing then. i had a much harder time grabbing with snake, so the fame difference explains it
Ahh.....I sorta thought so.
BTW Mike, how's your Marth doing? (A lot better I'm hoping)
Also, do you remember when you inspired me to play marth...and I sent you a PM on AiB?
Well, it's over now.....I suck w/ marth. :p

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure every non-tether character can pivotgrab him out of tornado (including some tether characters), and every character can pivotgrab him out of drill rush, dash attack, and dash grab. You can also pivotgrab Pikachu out of short hop f-airs from the ledge as well as pretty much every attack in Fox's arsenal including all of his smashes and aerials... (I've done all of this with the ICs)

But this thread isn't about pivotgrabbing.

If Sonic can do it then I'm sure it's not dependent on grab range... and all of the characters' (except Ganondorf, Bowser, DK, Zelda, Captain Falcon, Snake, Ike, and the tether-grabbers) standing grabs come out frame 6, so I guess this could be a fairly common way to grab it.

This would explain why it was more difficult to grab with Snake, having an 8 frame grab. 8 frames is a ton of time for the tornado to hit you though. I'm surprised you can do it at all. O.o

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=234915

•Col•

Smash Champion
lso, I remember a while back.....that on the Ike boards they were talking about how they can Pivot grab Whorenado.
A very large majority of the cast can pivot grab MK out of his Tornado.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Only n00bish MK's get their tornado punished, I use tornado when my opponent lags from a move, or air dodges, rolls, or as a combo follow up, or tornado them in the air, you can't grab in the air. Shield grabbing tornado looks good on paper, but in practice, its very unreliable.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Only n00bish MK's get their tornado punished, I use tornado when my opponent lags from a move, or air dodges, rolls, or as a combo follow up, or tornado them in the air, you can't grab in the air. Shield grabbing tornado looks good on paper, but in practice, its very unreliable.
Not true, lots of MK have their Nado punished at some point. Even M2K. :)
It may not happen every single match he play, but it happens.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
This is interesting. I'll have to go test it. I'm also getting some video recording equipment up and running, so if that works and I succeed, I'll get some videos up. My friend (who would be the one practicing with me) plays ROB, so we'll see if it works with him. (and if I can get it to work on MK v MK).

-Tuen

6Mizu

Smash Champion
This is interesting. I'll have to go test it. I'm also getting some video recording equipment up and running, so if that works and I succeed, I'll get some videos up. My friend (who would be the one practicing with me) plays ROB, so we'll see if it works with him. (and if I can get it to work on MK v MK).

-Tuen
Goood! Great!
I guess we've got something going here. :)

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Well, this is pretty much useless for Yoshi, I'm certain. I guess we'll still have to resort to spot-dodging the last few hits of it in order to hopefully punish it. =/

EDIT: What the heck? Why is my name pink? I HATE PINK! :mad:

:069:

Top Bottom