• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Grab Tornado

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Only n00bish MK's get their tornado punished, I use tornado when my opponent lags from a move, or air dodges, rolls, or as a combo follow up, or tornado them in the air, you can't grab in the air. Shield grabbing tornado looks good on paper, but in practice, its very unreliable.
Thanks for the lesson man you da man. Nado = broken...rage :mad:........

Luigi player

Smash Master
This would be really good. Someone figure out the timing. I tried it a few times, but always got hit.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
if someone is going to nado u in the air u can just footstool that ish. its ridiculously easy to due to the large hitbox . Theyre isnt any timing as far as i was concerned when it came to powershield grabbing nado. again footstool helps if they attempt to nado ur landing or something. It also aids if they try to up B too hahah footstools ftw. as far as im concerned its a spacing issue if u cant do it. try shield dashing right before u hit nado. U should powershield it then u could grab.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
I just tested it in slow-mo, and it seems like only after MK starts descending (i.e. he stops mashing), the tornado hits become less rapid, to a point where you could shield grab it, but if he hasn't started descending yet, I'm pretty sure it's impossible. I don't know though, shield grabbing it consistently at all seems ridiculous to me.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
MKs won't be getting shieldgrabbed out of their tornados anytime soon. Smart MKs only hit your shields with the bottom parts, with the intention of popping you out the top, where they can then take the fight from below you. Grounded tornado is so bad that almost any reliable disjointed attacks can clank with it and stop it, and some others can beat it, unlike when MK is in the air which means it will never stop unless you break straight through it.

If shieldgrab works, go for it! But I'll keep to my surefire way of breaking through (character's moves), as well as waiting on their nados to end in order to punish.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
Grounded tornado is so bad that almost any reliable disjointed attacks can clank with it and stop it, and some others can beat it, unlike when MK is in the air which means it will never stop unless you break straight through it.
what are you talking about? Grounded tornado isn't too bad. if it gets canceled by an attack, metaknight can buffer forward tilt after the cancel before you're able to shield ;)

Flayl

Smash Hero
snake is the same speed as bowser

if snake can do it bowser can too
Not exactly. Snake's grab is frame 8, Bowser's is frame 9. Someone posted they had a hard time doing it with Snake, so it should be even harder for Bowser. Why risk mistiming the grab anyway when Bowser can fortress (yeah I know chaingrab).

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I think what is happening is the nado hit box hits something and then is gone, it probably has very little hit stun so you get enough time to just buffer grab and poof. All the six frame grabbers rejoice. MK has one less approach/pressure option.

B!squick

Smash Master
Not exactly. Snake's grab is frame 8, Bowser's is frame 9. Someone posted they had a hard time doing it with Snake, so it should be even harder for Bowser. Why risk mistiming the grab anyway when Bowser can fortress (yeah I know chaingrab).
As well, you gotta remember where Snake grabs compared to Bowser. Snake leans forward ever so slightly while Bowser leans forward alot. I think they grab at about the same height, but Bowser would have his big giant head sticking up to get hit.

I just angle my shield up and wait it out to try and punish. Otherwise, as said, I just Fortress that ****. Invincibility frames for the win.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i have a question that i think is relevant here.

im sure everyone has seen the video of mk's hitboxes. looking at the hitbox for tornado, it is made up of 3 hitboxes, one placed on either side and below mk. but this video neglects to show what happens to the hitboxes when mk actually traps a character within the tornado, or when he hits a shield. presumably the hitboxes hit once and then are unable to hit again for a certain amount of frames. this number of frames is extremely relevant here. obviously, if the hitbox does not become active again in the time it takes for shield stun to disappear + 6 frames, most characters in the game could pull this off.

but then after reading prior comments, one must also ask the question of whether or not mashing B speeds up the returning of the hitboxes. if yes, then the frames available to grab become smaller. if not, then it should always be grabbable.

how much do we actually know about the tornado? has this sort of thing been tested for yet? i think it would be rather beneficial to know exact frames for things like this; at least then we could draw up a framework for counters. feasibility or not at this stage should be irrelevant, as we cant know until we try it.

in case you hadnt noticed yet, i really hate this move.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
As well, you gotta remember where Snake grabs compared to Bowser. Snake leans forward ever so slightly while Bowser leans forward alot. I think they grab at about the same height, but Bowser would have his big giant head sticking up to get hit.

I just angle my shield up and wait it out to try and punish. Otherwise, as said, I just Fortress that ****. Invincibility frames for the win.
I think it has nothing to do with size essentially there is no hit box there and thats why you can grab him out, but the hit box reapears after a set number of time so thats why the frame count of your grab hold value.

B!squick

Smash Master
I think it has nothing to do with size essentially there is no hit box there and thats why you can grab him out, but the hit box reapears after a set number of time so thats why the frame count of your grab hold value.
But again, their's this problem: MK is Tornadoing Bowser's head like he should. Bowser tries to grab way out in front of him. Hmm... But yeah, his grab is too slow anyway. Good thing we have Fortress! :D

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I think if MKs tornado correctly you shouldn't be shield grabbing them. =/
With Kirby, I've tried many many times to shieldgrab tornado, and not once has it worked.
However, this is always on wifi so that may be the problem. :urg:

kirbys pivot grab ***** nado, i grab yaz's almost everytime
MKs won't be getting shieldgrabbed out of their tornados anytime soon. Smart MKs only hit your shields with the bottom parts
Kewkky said it before I got to. You see, I know Kirby's Fsmash can beat Tornado, but the problem is that MKs with half a brain use it so that the very bottom of the tornado touches the very top of me, meaning that my Fsmash will just go through the very bottom hitbox of Tornado, showing those little clanking animations but not canceling or beating Tornado, and I usually get punished for it.

What I'm wondering, and this is probably the case, is that MK is ungrabbable if he does it right above you. Even if you pivot grab, I'd imagine you'd only attempt to grab the bottom hitbox of the tornado, and not the hurtbox of MK.

:/

because he's broken

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
It's hip because as sheik I can duck under tornado if the go high or sheild grab if the go low... should be able to do either on reaction since you can sheild instantly while crouching.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I think people are missing the point of this thread. of course you can pivot grab nado, mike haze brought up being able to shield grab nado. if you try to pivot grab out of shield you will just get hit by tornado.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I think people are missing the point of this thread. of course you can pivot grab nado, mike haze brought up being able to shield grab nado. if you try to pivot grab out of shield you will just get hit by tornado.
I think people are just confused about timing or properties of shield grabbing it. (?)

Look at the video I posted on the first page.
After that happened, I ran a few tests that day.
At least for Sonic (who is all I tested with, sorry), there was really no timing to shield grabbing the tornado.

As long as Meta Knight's body was within Sonic's grab range, he got grabbed. Otherwise, tornado hit me. Yeah.

Coffee™

I need it....
As long as Meta Knight's body was within Sonic's grab range, he got grabbed. Otherwise, tornado hit me. Yeah.
^ pretty much this. I tried it with Pit today and once Metaknight is in range of the grab he gets grabbed. Pit and Sonic have some pretty terrible grab ranges so this should work fine for most characters.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i played around with this and got it to work with snake. seems to be affected by height and mashing of the B button.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
It would also depend on where the character grabs btw ('grab hitbox').

Dedede is probably fudged because his shield grab 'sweeps' the ground.
i.e. most likely even a low tornado would still have mk's hurtbox above it.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
the point of this thread is that MetaKnight is overcentralizing the game.

Padô

Smash Lord
I've seen Kovarish pivotgrab with IceClimbers the MKs tornados 3 times in a tourney match and it is very easy if you predict it.

About the shield grab I gotta analyse how many frames does it take to the character to get out of the shield and than add how many frames does the grab takes to grab.

Jupz

Smash Master
I've seen Kovarish pivotgrab with IceClimbers the MKs tornados 3 times in a tourney match and it is very easy if you predict it.

About the shield grab I gotta analyse how many frames does it take to the character to get out of the shield and than add how many frames does the grab takes to grab.

you can grab instantly out of shield lol

for reference, shield drop is 7 frames.

Padô

Smash Lord

you can grab instantly out of shield lol

for reference, shield drop is 7 frames.
So, gotta analyse how many frames does characters grab take to actually "grab"

Said **** btw.

Is Sonic grab that fast to "grab"? If so I shoudl start from him :)

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I don't think you can grab MK while inside the tornado if they're tapping B. Tornado hits like every 5 frames and gives 5 frame shield stun per hit. By the time your shield stun wears off tornado hits again. The only ways you can attack out of it is with Marth or Bowser UpB.

Top Bottom