• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shoot First, Ask Questions Later: The Samus Tactical Discussion & Q&A Thread

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
k I shot already.
How does Rohins do that instant drop from the ledge after using upB? it's been killing me for some time now :D

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
there's a slight lip on final D that you can cancel up B with...

if youre pro try to do up B cancel to wall jump to up b again mwuhfahfaha (as seen in my lulz vid)

Ravin

Smash Lord
Link me the video, I don't know what your talking about.

Never mind, noob got it.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
yea just try up Bing slightly beyond the ledge, then once you're spinning against the ledge DI out towards the ledge just as your up B runs out.. you will attempt to grab ledge then snap off it, and it will renew your up B. I haven't been able to up b cancel -> walljump -> anything consistently yet

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
yea just try up Bing slightly beyond the ledge, then once you're spinning against the ledge DI out towards the ledge just as your up B runs out.. you will attempt to grab ledge then snap off it, and it will renew your up B. I haven't been able to up b cancel -> walljump -> anything consistently yet
That is pimp. I'm going to try mastering that. It has become apparent that Samus needs everything she can get to be a good samus lol
EDIT:this is so hard. In need of instructional video's lol

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
i learned 95% of the techs in rohins's vid just from watching it (couldn't do the bomb spring).. you'll get the hang of it.

Ravin

Smash Lord
^^^^^WTF is that.

Seriously. Lol.

And why start with Samus? Sounds like a lot of people are QQing.

Vader

Smash Rookie
I think they started with Samus because she is above Sonic in the tier list...

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I like that thread. :p

Anyways, what ARE Samus's kill moves?

And how is each one landed, and how easily?

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
I like that thread. :p

Anyways, what ARE Samus' kill moves?

And how is each one landed, and how easily?

I likey!

Utilt, Dtilt, Charge Shot, Side Smash and Dair (Fairly positive those are all of them)

Utilt generally more effective with platforms. otherwise it's kinda hard to hit with imo.
Dtilt is the easiest kill move, I bomb way too much and people don't know how long the hit box for that actually lasts so I wait till they think it's good to release shield and Dtilt. Basically mindgame the crap out of them.

... you know what? none of these are actually easy to hit with so I'ma say we land KO moves, with mind gamezz and a bit O' luck.

anyone else want to clear "how do we land them" part up?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
You may as well discuss the match-up between Samus and Peach, Cherry64. They are discussing it right now, after all.

Hive

Smash Lord
samuses main kill moves imo are:

dtilt, fsmash, and charge shot (they all pretty much kill characters at around the same percent, give or take, and are her earliest ko moves (not including spikes and gimps) plus they are fairly easy to hit^^)

Bair, dsmash (about 20% after dtilt), and utilt kos a little bit later
(utilt and bair are pretty hard to hit though imo :p, utilt is good for hitting people on the ledge though ^^)

and dair kos a lot later lol

(cherry got it pretty much :))

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Lol thanks you two :) actually I'm helping with that too, cept My peachy skills aren't exactly top notch. Hive should join in, it's great fun

Hive

Smash Lord
i want to join into the peach discussion lol! but i've only played 1 set with Sky, 1 with susannayou and 2/3 of a game with praxis lol, so i don't think i have enough exp ^^

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Even tid bits of info help, we all say it's like 45-55 or 40-60
nothing terribly for samus, hell one of our easier ones IMO

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
That is pimp. I'm going to try mastering that. It has become apparent that Samus needs everything she can get to be a good samus lol
EDIT:this is so hard. In need of instructional video's lol
I did it by accident, but saw how to do it and what you mean by the lip. Time to practice. Just thought I'd let you all know that.

EDIT: Dryn sorry for double post! please don't infract me :(

Ravin

Smash Lord
You can sweetspot her Bair. Ive killed Marths at 100% before with DI on FD. Its like, she gets some unknown random power from her asscheek.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
You can sweetspot her Bair. Ive killed Marths at 100% before with DI on FD. Its like, she gets some unknown random power from her asscheek.
:laugh: I'm going to have to test that out. The way an attack is used, as well as the character it is being used on determines how it can KO. It might seem like common knowledge, but then when you ask yourself why Snake can survive in the center of Battlefield at 146% from a fresh Charge Shot while Bowser gets KO'ed at 140%, both at the center and at the edge, you begin to wonder why Snake is surviving better than Bowser. It's also common knowledge that Bowser is the first heaviest, and Snake is the third heaviest. Think about it.

Hive

Smash Lord
are you sure about that dryn? i always thought that ddd was the first heaviest and then snake....
at least with dtilt he gets ko'd at like 160+% and snake is like 150+% and bowser is somewhere in the 140-150% range.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
are you sure about that dryn? i always thought that ddd was the first heaviest and then snake....
at least with dtilt he gets ko'd at like 160+% and snake is like 150+% and bowser is somewhere in the 140-150% range.
I wasn't using the d-tilt. I was using a Charge Shot. Hitting Snake with a Charge Shot, even if it's fresh, will not KO him instantly. This is, I think, because he DI's up and toward the stage, thus causing him to go vertically. King Dedede is the heaviest in regard to a vertical death, so he won't lose a stock so early if hit vertically.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Q: what is IASA frames?
Interruptible As Soon As. For an example, use Samus u-tilt. Wait for it to finish. Once you do that, try it again, but press Up+A when Samus' heel hits the ground. It speeds up u-tilt slightly. Same with Ganondorf's u-smash.

Insetick

Smash Apprentice
Hi samus boards, I've recently been playing as Samus. After an AiB match a few days ago with another samus player (better than me), I've found that winning with Samus requires that I get an early start and maintain my momentum. So I have a series of general questions:

How would you guys get an early lead and prevent the opponent from catching his breath? For Snake especially, what do you do when he recovers too high for zair/dair?
What do you usually do when you're on the edge? I usually jump and cancel with a mbomb when the opponent walks towards the edge: I then follow up with fair, which I think always shield pokes if the mbomb hits. If my opponent is at the edge, I like to drop and tether the edge to bait- I then drop and jump away when he jumps off the edge. Are there better options?

Hive

Smash Lord
actually I think samus is very good at catching up and doing short burst damage....

I would say the most important things are how to play the ledge and recover, how to space with projectiles and spams and how to create openings with them, and how to use her moves and combos in each situation.

i wrote a miniguide on her ledge game a bit ago, if you look through previous topics i think its still there?

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
actually I think samus is very good at catching up and doing short burst damage....

I would say the most important things are how to play the ledge and recover, how to space with projectiles and spams and how to create openings with them, and how to use her moves and combos in each situation.

i wrote a miniguide on her ledge game a bit ago, if you look through previous topics i think its still there?
it's still there yes. best advice learn how to use Z air before missile cancelling. and how and where to hit. experience is samus' Secret love.
it's better to know when to use which attack than to learn all of her AT's IMO.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
That was 4 Days ago, I'm going to Double post Because I needz a Question answered, Please don't infract me becuz Nobody looks at edits.

My Question is what range does our grab have? and like when does it come out? I am asking this because I can never grab snakes out of their UpB's. It's suuper annoying. Please answer me :) and please don't infract me either :(

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
That was 4 Days ago, I'm going to Double post Because I needz a Question answered, Please don't infract me becuz Nobody looks at edits.

My Question is what range does our grab have? and like when does it come out? I am asking this because I can never grab snakes out of their UpB's. It's suuper annoying. Please answer me :) and please don't infract me either :(

rule of thumb. when you see the cypher come slightly above the ledge, activate dash grab.

CPU?

Smash Apprentice
as a samus player what should i use his down-b for? i use it for shield pressure.
is that how it should be used?

Xyro77

as a samus player what should i use his down-b for? i use it for shield pressure.
is that how it should be used?
I HIGHLY recommedn you do not use bombs. There are so many other things you can do instead of bombs. However, others do not agree.

CPU?

Smash Apprentice
i know it can be used for gimping. but ill trust you on that.
is her jab considered good?
im new to samus and want to main her!:chuckle:

Xyro77

i know it can be used for gimping. but ill trust you on that.
is her jab considered good?
im new to samus and want to main her!:chuckle:
her jab is good for shield pressure but its not too reliable. if you could, go to the "ultimate samus database" and watch some videos there. it will help you alot.

CPU?

Smash Apprentice
as a noob samus player what should be my main ko move or a move that i should keep fresh for a ko?

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Uh watch the videos dude, honestly it's the best way to learn it, and Missile canceling, it'll keep you able to survive as regular samus but actually becoming tourni viable with her takes like forever. a good 6 months at least. so learn the basics and practice and you'll be able to survive. My 2 cents

Edit: And use how to abuse UpB :)

Top Bottom