• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shoot First, Ask Questions Later: The Samus Tactical Discussion & Q&A Thread

Hive

Smash Lord
17th of 49 cgcviii yesterday.
but dang, i think i could have done a bit better, next time definitely then. ;)

@canthandlethespeculosity- Samus is too fun! I think we have a guide that Dryn made about learning her, but I feel like the best instrument learning is to pick up vids and combo vids and learning techs from those, and experience of course! :) Oh, and you need a nickname <.< way too long to type!

powell651234

Smash Apprentice
why don't we have a matchup thread for Samus?

I want to read about Samus v. Lucario and Samus v. Toon Link etc.

I could give insight into some matchups too, that others may not be familiar with.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
why don't we have a matchup thread for Samus?

I want to read about Samus v. Lucario and Samus v.s Toon Link etc.

I could give insight into some matchups too, that others may not be familiar with.
As far as I know the match-up for toon link is 65-35 for him. he's got more effective spam, his zair combo's into EVERYTHING. His air game is faster than ours thus if our timing isn
t perfect we're screwed. we got range on him in I'd say every aspect but he's tiny and fast and can ge3t into our faces and that always hurts, plus he can Bair us till like at least 3 hits.

EDIT: Hive your in uni right?

pAce

Smash Cadet
Probably obvious, but what's the best way to punish Sonic's spin dash specials?

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Probably obvious, but what's the best way to punish Sonic's spin dash specials?
I Like down dodging and then going for a sweet spotted Bair to a spike for early lead, but in reality the BEST way to do it would probably be to Fair because of the multiple hit box's and combo abilities from that move

pAce

Smash Cadet
I Like down dodging and then going for a sweet spotted Bair to a spike for early lead, but in reality the BEST way to do it would probably be to Fair because of the multiple hit box's and combo abilities from that move
The person I play against mains Sonic and does this spin dash cancel move as well. The spin dash itself instinctively makes me want to shield - then he ends up right in front of me with his shield up ready to shield grab me. I'll try as you suggested and use more f-air. Maybe I'll be able to beat him before he has a chance to do finish his move.

Also, I have trouble punishing dodge rolls. I kind of feel like I should know how to deal with and it frustrates me when I get beaten by it. If I know someone is going to roll behind me - for example - what would be the best thing to do?

Hive

Smash Lord
charge shot i'm pretty sure will punish sonic if you have the time to pull it off. Many times the sonic player will jump out of his dash attack and up a you for two hits. When this happens shield through the attack and then screwattack him. If you see him stop to grab you dtilt, shield grab or if you don't have time try to spot dodge. IDK, sonic is actually a hard matchup for samus. :p much underrated i think. ^^

jc_off_the_heezay

Smash Apprentice
Hey.
I'm thinking of main Samus.
I usually like characters that combo.
But I decided to not pick up weegee.
And Samus is not used at all....at least around here.
So she'll be fun to main.
Why should I main her?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Hey.
Why should I main her?
We're not the kind of people who really encourage you to choose Samus. We rather encourage you to choose your character for your own reasons, rather than our reasons. So, Why should you main her? You should be asking yourself why you want to main her in the first place. If you're all about winning, Samus is not for you.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Hey.
Why should I main her?
You should main her because of her radical move set, and her ability to be played MANY different ways. although I'd honestly say if you do decide to pick her up learn how to successfully spam.

jc_off_the_heezay

Smash Apprentice
We're not the kind of people who really encourage you to choose Samus. We rather encourage you to choose your character for your own reasons, rather than our reasons. So, Why should you main her? You should be asking yourself why you want to main her in the first place. If you're all about winning, Samus is not for you.
You should main her because of her radical move set, and her ability to be played MANY different ways. although I'd honestly say if you do decide to pick her up learn how to successfully spam.
I like the way she plays.
She's floaty and spamable.

Was going to pick up weegee but a lot are picking him up.
Samus on the other hand is a match up MANY don't know.
So she'll be fun.
And I'm having fun playing with her.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Do you guys have a character guide? Just to the basic move set? You don't seem to have any data on her throws.

You have data on her pivot grab, her glide toss, but not her throws.

Also, how does this board have only one page of threads? I see some signs that you got some sort of super merge... or super purge of old janky stuff... but, wow.

EDIT: Entirely separate question:

Check out Tudor laying a bomb at 0:35 of this vd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gWYkCTG4xk&feature=related

... is that faster than if he hadn't jumped? Can this be used? In particular, how it worked with his dtilt on his opponent's block... can that be something consistent?
The confound is that the Pit perfect shielded. What if he hadn't?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Or Dryn Cleaned it all out?
I don't clean anything out.

PK-ow!, I got information on Samus' moveset. It just covers the button input and damage percent.

PK-ow! said:
The confound is that the Pit perfect shielded. What if he hadn't?
Who knows? The Bomb has two hits to it, believe it or not. I've seen my Bombs get perfect shielded. It would make a clanking noise, but the Bomb was still there before it blew up.

Kief

Smash Ace
I have a question (yes, i actually play samus =P).

I'm used to arrow cancelling with link/TL, and i'm having some troubles missle cancelling. Is the timing for it different as compared to link/TL? I just hit B right when i land, and it shows the animation but doesn't fire a missle :ohwell:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I have a question (yes, i actually play samus =P).

I'm used to arrow cancelling with link/TL, and i'm having some troubles missle cancelling. Is the timing for it different as compared to link/TL? I just hit B right when i land, and it shows the animation but doesn't fire a missle :ohwell:
do it a tad bit earlier.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
I'd say I'm up and coming :) or like the prequel to up and coming lol.

And Kief if you want to I can show you how to do it all over again lol. Basically start the missile animation at the top of your short hop and you should fire 1 off or for a homing missile fire 1 right before you land

jc_off_the_heezay

Smash Apprentice
I may pick her up since no one really knows how to fight her.

I was going to pick up weegee but a lot already are. "/

Kief

Smash Ace
do it a tad bit earlier.
alright thanks i'll try that some more i guess.

And Kief if you want to I can show you how to do it all over again lol. Basically start the missile animation at the top of your short hop and you should fire 1 off or for a homing missile fire 1 right before you land
lol you just told me what a missle cancel was. i remember you tried to teach me how earlier and it didn't really work out >_>

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
alright thanks i'll try that some more i guess.

lol you just told me what a missle cancel was. i remember you tried to teach me how earlier and it didn't really work out >_>

That's because you didn't do it like I did lol If we try again then I'll show you the timing of when the animation starts, then you can go and try to get it picture perfect.

Lotopius

Smash Cadet
Does a properly spaced SHzair on a grounded opponent guarantee a grab? And if not what can the opponent do?

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Does a properly spaced SHzair on a grounded opponent guarantee a grab? And if not what can the opponent do?
If it hits it does not guarantee a grab but your have a 90% chance of getting a grab.

The key it to hit them with zair UP CLOSE so the grab can actually grab them as SOON as it comes out.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Heres a good question...

If a move misses does it stll Decay?
You'll get more than an answer you're looking for. In the past, I went ahead and observed staling and what caused staling. So, here you go.

• Any attack that clanks with another attack does not stale.
  • Any projectile that clanks with another projectile does not stale.
  • Any attack that hits Balloons, walls, breakable surfaces, stale, though refresh other attacks.
  • Z-air does not stale, nor does it refresh other attacks.
  • If an attack misses, it does not stale.
  • If an attack is shielded, it does not stale.
  • If an attack is absorbed or reflected, it does not stale.
  • If an attack hits a character while he or she still has invincible frames after respawning, that attack does not stale.

Anymore questions?

Ravin

Smash Lord
No. And I am going to add that to the front. That should also go into the database or somewhere where people can easily find it.

Ravin

Smash Lord
Fine Dryn.

Does Angling your shield up eat more of your shield? Ive noticed when standing still the shield goes down, but when i move it up it seems to go away faster.

Is it better to play with Top Jump on or Off? I ask this because if i want to do util or uair, it wont force me to jump or waste my second jump. Also, I lose my OOS B option. But i dont shield that much.

I use the Cstick for my aerials, as in SmashDI up on the Cstick while using the control stick is down to recover faster, is this better to use then without the Cstick? I also use it in terms up SH Fair with Cstick into retreating controller stick to control the motions of my aerials for better control.

Personal preferences on Bsticking?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Fine Dryn.

Does Angling your shield up eat more of your shield? Ive noticed when standing still the shield goes down, but when i move it up it seems to go away faster.

Is it better to play with Top Jump on or Off? I ask this because if i want to do util or uair, it wont force me to jump or waste my second jump. Also, I lose my OOS B option. But i dont shield that much.

I use the Cstick for my aerials, as in SmashDI up on the Cstick while using the control stick is down to recover faster, is this better to use then without the Cstick? I also use it in terms up SH Fair with Cstick into retreating controller stick to control the motions of my aerials for better control.

Personal preferences on Bsticking?
I don't know about the shielding. I don't move my shield. Never have.

That depends. Do you like the invincible frames that come with Up+B OoS, or do you like to use your u-air and still have an extra jump?

Refer to the DI thread in the Brawl Tactical Discussion.

B-Sticking is garbage. You either accidentally fire your Charge Shot instead of your Super Missile, or you jump, even though you weren't intending to.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
You guys are almost as crazy as the Peach boards....

......Almost.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I know this isn't my board, but in defense of Dryn.

Chill Xyro. It's over and done now, whether you want it to be or not.

This doesn't need to continue on.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I have a question. Why is DRYN being a ************************************?
Wow. That's one long curse word.

Really though, Xyro, if you have a problem with Dryn, I suggest you take it to PMs or the Forum Disputes section. I really don't think this should get any bigger than it already is.

Top Bottom