• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shoot First, Ask Questions Later: The Samus Tactical Discussion & Q&A Thread

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
You haven't lived until you've been N-air gimped by me. If only I wasn't sick/dying/still played this game. :(

Get out from classes in a week though, and might move over the summer to VA. Might use that time to unrust.

aroperdope

Smash Cadet
I'm confident in my abilty to meteor smash. What may not work for some hunters, works for me

Bah! someone already said this! So I'll let my brawling speak for me.

On another note, i watched a vid of Killer Jaws playing with the aerial grapple beam against a link user. The way it was being deployed was very funny

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
HAhaha Yes you can, point is, when we played a bit loooong ago, he'd just **** with that. There are other things that are VERY situational. a homing missile fired as you are returning to stage (assuming you still have your second jump) can give them enough hit-stun for you to crank them. the bomb drop thing off the ledge ( I did this the other day and almost creamed my pants). That's really all I can think of. Mindgames with Nair then spiking them as they jumpback, but nothings certain there

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
Question: I want to have my Samus be JUST AS GOOD as my main (Ness). I have been playing Ness since the day brawl came out and have not put him down. However from reading a great deal about Samus and being extremely impressed by such samus mains as Genosamus and Xyro, I've become compelled to make my Samus my second main if possible. I have other reasons as well but my main question is where do I start and how long will it take to bring her to a very high level of play if I dedicate myself to it? When I ask where do i start I'm asking what techniques should I get down first and foremost and how should I progress (i.e. what techniques/ strategies are the icing on the cake/ not as crucial but are good mixups etc.). Thanks! If this goes well I'll try and be an active member on the samus boards here...I tend to be at aib a lot of the time fyi.

Throwback

Smash Lord
1. Zair: SHAD-Zair, SHFFZair, etc. You MUST learn to cancel zair at half-length or less if you want be a good samus (as well as sweet-spot etc).
2. Missile cancels. These can lead into great frame traps or can wall effectively.
2 (equal): Ledge-game. It'd be #1 if zair wasn't so awesome. Get in the lead & retreat to ledge. Learn to abuse instant control after zair to ledge. Learn to tether-cancel.
3. Don't worry about bombs, except for recovery. Maybe bombs are amazing, but they are a lot of work for very little reward (or more often, punishment).

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
do not use bombs/nair/usmash............ever!!!!!! UP+B oos is truly a great tool. PM me if u want some one on one help

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
Just saying he's been to at least one irl tourney that I know of so he's not purely wifi. Is there animosity towards lil' Geno that I don't know about or is it just towards people who use wifi in general?

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
Well it shouldn't be taken seriously of course. Anywho, I'll be lookin up vids of all of you guys to get ideas of what to incorporate and how. My goal is to have a tournament ready Samus to use at least by the end of the summer. Another question: I'm not picking up Samus to cover bad matchups but are there any matchups that you guys think Samus fairs better in than Ness? I would guess Marth but I'm not sure, Marth isn't auto lose in singles and in doubles Marth is much easier to space as Ness but I don't know if that is true for Samus.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
^What he said.

Also don't get your inspiration from wifi Samuses (Geno).
what he said. We're all scrubs with a bit o'heart <3

Uhhh, definitely NOT Marth. marth is one of samus' worst MU's. I don't know how badly he ***** ness, but I'm sure samsu has it harder, or at least even.

I'll be moving to Victoria come September, HOPEFULLY GETTING INTO THE SMASH SCENE there if there is one :)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
*Shoots an arrow* Shoot first, then ask question

Sorry bout asking again, but it's about a Samus' point-of-view on the Pit v Samus matchup. I need to get information a bit faster. I'll appreciate the help.

Also, this is kinda new for me to ask. Since I have been working on Pit team partner stuff, I am also kinda asking a bit of help on the Pit + Samus team. It's along story which I can discuss better on AIM.

So again, May I get info on the Pit v Samus matchup from the Samus point of view, AND information on the performance of a Pit + Samus team? I'll appreciate the help for both my requests.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
*Shoots an arrow* Shoot first, then ask question

Sorry bout asking again, but it's about a Samus' point-of-view on the Pit v Samus matchup. I need to get information a bit faster. I'll appreciate the help.

Also, this is kinda new for me to ask. Since I have been working on Pit team partner stuff, I am also kinda asking a bit of help on the Pit + Samus team. It's along story which I can discuss better on AIM.

So again, May I get info on the Pit v Samus matchup from the Samus point of view, AND information on the performance of a Pit + Samus team? I'll appreciate the help for both my requests.
From my exp, pit vs samus is 60-40 in pits favor. As for pit+samus. i do not recommend it at all.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, for the sake of being fair, I have to do every matchup + partner thing. So far I find Pit v Samus to be 50:50 to 55:45 Pit, but I really haven't gotten the Samus' side of the thing, so I tried not to be biased, and put up things the best I could.
Do contact me on AIM if you can help me out. I'll be one character closer to finishing all this stuff.
I already know a Pit + Samus team is campfest, but hey, it coulda been worse.

Throwback

Smash Lord
I don't find marth MU to be particularly hard TBH. Even against an opponent w/ experience vs samus I wouldn't call it worse than 60:40. That may change with experience, of course.

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
You may just be really good at spacing zairs and staying out of pressure. I find that he gets in our face too fast and can keep us there once he has us there. Also, his fair > anything we have. I recall it blocked a full CS once.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
You may just be really good at spacing zairs and staying out of pressure. I find that he gets in our face too fast and can keep us there once he has us there. Also, his fair > anything we have. I recall it blocked a full CS once.
Everything and more dude. Marth has ridicules range to top it all off, he has all the tools to beat us, if we can wall him out though he's got no where to run, ALWAYS punish marth if he jumps, z air him, because his range will beat any of our aerials.

Marth just destroys us beyond comparison. I personally have always referred to this as the death MU where my own personal MU (75-25) is just so far off what others think. I play this MU quite a bit, and I simply just cannot stand it.

I personally believe Pit v Samus is 50-50, but I lack experience in this MU anyway. I know for a fact however, that Pit + Samus is quite possibly the worst team in existance. Homing missles also home in on team partners, so if your recovering and a stray missle heads your way, it'll place unnecessary pressure on you.

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
I feel like the marth match-up isn't that bad 'til Marth gets us offstage.
Then fairing all of our recovery options is kinda super awful.

I also feel like Samus:pit is 50:50 from my experience, maybe 55:45 Pit.
Neither of us have an easy time killing, and Arrows and missiles are both equally annoying projectiles (though homing missiles disrupt gilde).
Pit can Nice Try! zair, which is hilarious looking and if you haven't seen it get a friend and do it.

I would actually pay to see a Pit successfully Nice Try! zair and not get punished, that does sound quite hilarious though.

Also, off topic Comp: Your user title and location amuse me <3

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
I'm similar to KJ on this one. Marth destroys us up and down the road. Reason being, he's fast, and are floaty. If samus landed faster she could just Side tilt Him, but unfortunately he reaches us al,ost ALWAYS before we hit the ground. like he can get at LEAST halfway across Final D before we land and can successfully Side Tilt. that's like the only thing that can out range him, and only if he uses hid crappy dash attack.

70-30 for me. As for the pit MU it is no fun to play against campy pits. literlly the worst. we are floaty, so we can't controll how fast we can fall such as link can. Making us a huge target for offstage Arrow gimps. Rarely works because of how rad our recovery is, but oh BOY this gets annoying. Uhh our Nair will cancel out his arrows if we time it right, not sure about the lingering hitbox also does it. AH so does Fair, this will give you a shield from his arrows while recovering if your having problems with it.

Teams with these two are crap. I play both, know both and at BEST I'll find the teams okay, but that's only with people I naturally play well together with.

ANY AND ALL SAMUS': Don't fire homing Missiles in teams if it's going towards your partner. Hell don't fire any missiles. IF you are a campy Spamus, Charge your lazr. There are better things to do than stun your team mate while the enemy charges up a smash. Get your partner to throw the opponent, all of you should know exactly where your partners Char's backthrow puts the enemy, so just fire at that spot and make a cool looking/good team work kill.

Off topic as well: I heart Chinese food.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
50:50 Pit
60:40 Marth

I don't see how you guys are finding Pit hard. I can understand Marth. All I can say to that is play smarter.

Top Bottom