• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shoot First, Ask Questions Later: The Samus Tactical Discussion & Q&A Thread

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
There is no control stick on the wii-mote, Xyro. lol

Buffer an up AFTER you input the f-tilt immediately. It's the same with using the c-stick on the GC controller. You press right/left on the c-stick, then press up/down on the control stick afterwards to tilt your f-smash.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member

Buffer an up AFTER you input the f-tilt immediately. It's the same with using the c-stick on the GC controller. You press right/left on the c-stick, then press up/down on the control stick afterwards to tilt your f-smash.
wait, he ONLY uses the remote? Dude, for the love of god please at least use the attachment to the wiimote.

quirkynature

Smash Ace

I can angle the f-smash all right, but it's the f-tilt that's the problem. Even on 1/4 speed on training, it comes out too fast to buffer in.

wait, he ONLY uses the remote? Dude, for the love of god please at least use the attachment to the wiimote.
I, uh, I can't. I'm two years into the Wiimote now. I bought me a Classic controller three months ago but I have barely used it because it's a completely different, well, controller.

I even tried using the Nunchuk attachment, but that, too, requires thinking before attacking, as opposed to just playing. I can easily beat two Lv 9 CPUs with the Wiimote with Link, but I can't win against a Lv. 6 Ganondorf (and he's SLOW) with the Classic controller or the Nunchuk/Wiimote combo.

I guess I'm going to have to relearn everything, then.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
I can angle the f-smash all right, but it's the f-tilt that's the problem. Even on 1/4 speed on training, it comes out too fast to buffer in.

I, uh, I can't. I'm two years into the Wiimote now. I bought me a Classic controller three months ago but I have barely used it because it's a completely different, well, controller.

I even tried using the Nunchuk attachment, but that, too, requires thinking before attacking, as opposed to just playing. I can easily beat two Lv 9 CPUs with the Wiimote with Link, but I can't win against a Lv. 6 Ganondorf (and he's SLOW) with the Classic controller or the Nunchuk/Wiimote combo.

I guess I'm going to have to relearn everything, then.
I would advise that yes. You are at a disadvantage due to where the buttons are located on the wiimote, in comparison you can actually hit the buttons on a controller faster :p plus the control stick makes for easier manoeuvring. Props though on being able to use it, I use it during friendlies and such haha

Just pick up a Gamecube controller or a Classic controller pro. Both of them have similar structures and are VERY easy to get used to.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
I borrowed my friend's GC controller and it's actually not that bad. Sure, the game's faster now, and much easier to combo Samus' f-air to f-smash/d-tilt, but sometimes instead of f-special, i use the d-special.

All in all, a noticeable improvement in my gameplay. Thanks!!

aroperdope

Smash Cadet
Since Samus isn't as fast as some characters, is it safe to assume that you as sumus can't afford to make as many mistakes as a fast character would? And taking speed into account, what may work on some foes may be of little use against others, right?

The fact that your playing as Samus, ANY mistake will cost you. She is actually quite speedy, she just sucks to no end. Her aerial game is generally quick on startup aswell.

Characters who can't afford to make mistakes: Anybody below Metaknight.

aroperdope

Smash Cadet
Ah! yes! the metallic lady's aerial game. I remember playing against cherry; he was having a ball with her air drill kick

aroperdope

Smash Cadet
Yeah her up air; whenever that move is successfully linked up with another attack, my brothers get ticked at me and themselves. Right now my mind is on one thing... combo starters. I'll figure this out...

quirkynature

Smash Ace
It's funny: Samus' u-air has massive priority while her d-air has barely any.

And even the CPU manages to DI out of her u-smash. Love the missiles and charge shot, though. Samus has great potential as an annoyer if nothing else.

Throwback

Smash Lord
the one mistake you really don't want to make is failing to SH before you hit z. Guaranteed punish in 99% of cases & has cost me far too many stocks. Other than that she's on par with most other characters.

Other than that she's on par with most other characters.
I am going to pretend you didn't say that. Samus is absolutly diabolical beyond words of comprehension, I am very surprised she can even move in this game, attacking for her is a blessing. It's like the development team did everything to make her bad :/

Throwback

Smash Lord
not what I meant KJ, I meant in terms of lag (ie punishability). I'm not arguing she's a good character ffs.

edit: actually she is kinda laggy on all ground moves :(

aroperdope

Smash Cadet
the one mistake you really don't want to make is failing to SH before you hit z. Guaranteed punish in 99% of cases & has cost me far too many stocks. Other than that she's on par with most other characters.
in this person's post, what does the abbreviation SH stand for?

Throwback

Smash Lord
Short-Hop. You probably know this already, but if not:

It's what happens when you issue the jump command for less frames than a character's jump animation.

For example, samus' jump animation lasts 4 frames. If you tap the stick upwards and back to neutral (or press and release the jump button) in less than 4 frames, samus will jump to half her usual jump height.

aroperdope

Smash Cadet
Short-Hop. You probably know this already, but if not:

It's what happens when you issue the jump command for less frames than a character's jump animation.

For example, samus' jump animation lasts 4 frames. If you tap the stick upwards and back to neutral (or press and release the jump button) in less than 4 frames, samus will jump to half her usual jump height.
okay, but why press z

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Correct :) If samus wasn't as floaty she'd be a higher tier. Like we RELY on the air, but because she is so floaty, People can approach through our missile barrage and then smack the S*** out of us. We Don't have range or priority in the air (not sure about the priority but I almost always get Smacked around by good players that know how to power shield dash, and No aerial ever beats their Usmash) so yeah, she kind of fails. but knowing her weaknesses actually make you a far stronger samus player, because you know what to expect when facing people. you know what they are going to target and what they are going to do. So her Meta-game for me, revolves around mind-games. How sad.

Samus's airgame is no laughing matter. Uair and Zair are filled with buckets of priority, and her whole airgame is generally speedy with the exception of Dair, but tbh, Dair is just not very good :/,

Throwback

Smash Lord
SH-Dair is good for punishing horizontal ground moves & full-hop Dair is great to counter SH aerial approaches that she otherwise struggles with. Dair also has very good horizontal reach and great cancel frames. Its priority is balls though :(

SH-Dair is good for punishing horizontal ground moves & full-hop Dair is great to counter SH aerial approaches that she otherwise struggles with. Dair also has very good horizontal reach and great cancel frames. Its priority is balls though :(
It comes out so slowly that it's ridiculous. To get rid of SH aerial approaches, we zair or uair. To punish horizontal ground moves, we fast fall uair. Don't use dair.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
you have to be able to predict the opponent pretty well to do this. it is RISKY. and you have no follow up. I Looove tech chasing with D air. d00d hit them with it at low percents and they hit the floor right away, they roll one way you Dair again, and just keep it up, also you shouldn't be hit by any getting up attacks if you SH in time

Throwback

Smash Lord
SH uair won't beat most spaced bairs, and zair is far more punishable than FHDair at close range. I don't over-use it (zair is too good) but it does work because of it's great reach below samus, combined with her less than stellar full-jump height. It's simply another option to defeat SHs, which samus struggles against (due to her height) and often doesn't have time/space to SHZair.

In terms of punishing horizontal attacks (e.g. fsmash, grab) it's a complete gamble but it has good payoff & puts the opponent above you. falling uair is nice but it won't hit as quickly as dair (due to range of dair), often giving time for the opponent to shield. Dair also has better horizontal range & great shield-push, making it pretty safe if the opponent chooses to shield rather than attack.

SH uair won't beat most spaced bairs
Yes it will.

and zair is far more punishable than FHDair at close range.
No it isn't.

I don't over-use it (zair is too good) but it does work because of it's great reach below samus, combined with her less than stellar full-jump height. It's simply another option to defeat SHs, which samus struggles against (due to her height) and often doesn't have time/space to SHZair.
Sorry but where on earth did you get that information? This isn't Brawl+.

In terms of punishing horizontal attacks (e.g. fsmash, grab) it's a complete gamble but it has good payoff & puts the opponent above you. falling uair is nice but it won't hit as quickly as dair, often giving time for the opponent to shield.
Uair hits on frame 5 and is very disjointed, applies more shield pressure and leads to many more combos/frame traps.

Samus is a character in the game Super Smash Bros Brawl for the Nintendo Wii. She's pretty bad.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
There's a simple remedy to this: stop getting caught in the air. You shouldn't be falling onto them unless it's using d-air on a good read.

Throwback

Smash Lord
(uair beats bair) Yes it will.
No, it won't. Have you actually used uair against, say, mario's bair? kirby's? Snake's? You might trade, which is in their favour since uair is multi-hit.

(safety vs zair) No it isn't.
It is compared to say, rising SHZair that gets air-dodged.

(reach below, counters SH approach) Sorry but where on earth did you get that information? This isn't Brawl+.
from personal experience. I have actually used it.

(falling uair) Uair hits on frame 5 and is very disjointed, applies more shield pressure and leads to many more combos/frame traps.
point? dair still has more horizontal range & shield push. You can't always land on top of your opponent, and it's often not a good idea anyway.

Samus is a character in the game Super Smash Bros Brawl for the Nintendo Wii. She's pretty bad.
You seem to think that I'm disputing this in some way.

I don't think dair is brilliant, but I use it regularly with great success. My opinion is different to yours; I can live with it if you can.

No, it won't. Have you actually used uair against, say, mario's bair? kirby's? Snake's? You might trade, which is in their favour since uair is multi-hit.
You know that uair's priority increases as the move goes on, right? After that, it will beat NEARLY any bair.

It is compared to say, rising SHZair that gets air-dodged.
l2space.

from personal experience. I have actually used it.
Doesn't seem like it.

point? dair still has more horizontal range & shield push. You can't always land on top of your opponent, and it's often not a good idea anyway.
It has the shield push yes, but it has no pressure at all. You get a MAJOR frame disadvantage. We are not using dair on a shielding Jiggs, other characters actually have range.

You seem to think that I'm disputing this in some way.

I don't think dair is brilliant, but I use it regularly with great success. My opinion is different to yours; I can live with it if you can.
I can live with that, but I honestly believe dair is a terrible move.

aroperdope

Smash Cadet
But if an oppurtunity presents itself to spike (the dair) against a character trying to return to the stage platform, the temptation to meteor smash them into the depths would be strenuous. Otherwise, i concur on the platform, in aerial combat,.. dair leaves much to be desired. The move quite frankly needs to be toned up a little.

Even when the opponent is off stage, dair is actually not something that will come to mind rapidly tbh. I find gimping with zair/missles is far easier to do then dair, thats just my opinion however :/.

aroperdope

Smash Cadet
Even when the opponent is off stage, dair is actually not something that will come to mind rapidly tbh. I find gimping with zair/missles is far easier to do then dair, thats just my opinion however :/.
The same could be said for many, if not all of her moves.
Yes, your both right. I must remember that unpredictability is the key as well as, an offensive gameplan with a good mixup of her better moves¡!

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Play Serris. You know he's going to try to spike you, and then you die.

I've yet to be spiked that often by a samus player.

Play Serris. You know he's going to try to spike you, and then you die.

I've yet to be spiked that often by a samus player.
You can see a standard Samus' spike coming from a mile away, and Samus has the tools to deal with it.

Top Bottom