• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight be Banned? ***Take 3***

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
The SBR can't ethically ban MetaKnight. They just told me he's not banned, so i picked him up for his super broke powers and beat people better than me at tournaments. You can't just turn around and ban him now.

If you couldn't figure out his qualities were ban worthy six months ago, you just need to give up on banning him. The change in tournament results like whobo isn't a change in his qualities, it's people getting tired of losing. Overswarm told everyone what would happen ahead of time, if you were happy with that to begin with just swallow it and live with our very meta centered metagame.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
My vote will be not sure for now. If after Apex and Genesis, MKs are still TOO dominant, I will prob change my mind to yes. It is sad how MK doesn't take as muchtime to be good than most characters.
You don't think your gonna win at gen?

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Chibo did make distinguished points at large tournaments with national players the top one will most like be m2k than trailing with the top players who use different characters who have natural key instincts as generic metaknight destroyers. Than trailing them you will see a long list of Mks and the next time you will see the characters of the other top players will be must more done the list. I understand that Mk is easy, hes probably more popular than melee fox but the vast number of them give matchup experience.

To be honest I am not sure what should be done, I'm going to go with Not sure

Sky`

Smash Lord
My vote will be not sure for now. If after Apex and Genesis, MKs are still TOO dominant, I will prob change my mind to yes. It is sad how MK doesn't take as muchtime to be good than most characters.
It would make everything easier I suppose.

But it's not about making this game easy. =/

OverLade

Smash Hero
I've swung to pro ban at this point.

The metagame would be so much more interesting without him, and not even Snake really stands up to him.

In theory several characters can beat him....but we dont see this happening.

So regardless of what's ON PAPER MK is still dominating every regional tournament.....

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The SBR can't ethically ban MetaKnight. They just told me he's not banned, so i picked him up for his super broke powers and beat people better than me at tournaments. You can't just turn around and ban him now.

If you couldn't figure out his qualities were ban worthy six months ago, you just need to give up on banning him. The change in tournament results like whobo isn't a change in his qualities, it's people getting tired of losing. Overswarm told everyone what would happen ahead of time, if you were happy with that to begin with just swallow it and live with our very meta centered metagame.
Let it be known I can see into the future.

Really though, MK is everywhere.

Think back to Melee. You had a pretty large number of playable tournament characters, but none of them completely destroyed the rest of the cast. Fox did well, Falco did well, Sheik did well, Marth did well, you even had a few captain Falcons do well.

Unfortunately with Brawl, you don't have the ability to punish mistakes for very much. 10, 20, maybe 40% if you're lucky. Every character in Brawl is Roy. You can't combo into kill moves very often (unless you are MK), so you just have to read your opponent and get 'em... except now you have to do that with all attacks. MK is by far the best at it.

Replace every Ranked MK player with a Ranked Peach player. We would have taken top Five.
Yeah, something tells me this is incorrect. Just a hunch.

Suspect

Smash Hero
New Jersey and TX and Cali, arguably the three most advanced metagames. Go troll somewhere else Suspect.
And you want there metagame to go down? Seeing as you want a mk ban? wtf? why are you arguing for them then that makes no sense. You live in texas. You want the ban...but we have great metagame. So you are not even sure.

and dont talk about trolling when you have a history of it even as a mod

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I am no longer sure. WHOBO scared the **** out of me, and the more I read tournament data, the more I find his name popping up more and more as time goes by.

What should be the situation on which a character is banned?

:054:

Sky`

Smash Lord
Yeah, something tells me this is incorrect. Just a hunch.
Why?

It's to counter the "We should base our opinions off WHOBO" claim. Whobo was a biased tournament. You could have replaced the top five with any character, it would have worked. Not to say that Texas is lacking in any respect, but The top five or so's Skill level was a complete disconnect from the rest of the crowd.

Are you for this ban due to the morality? Or the ease of play after it's all said and done?

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
How about looking at the effing topic with the players who actually placed there who talked about why it wasn't just MK ****, it was just better players, some of which barely even used MK.

If you're going to reference an event know your **** about it first, not just some effing list.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
There are a lot of people who I would hope have more knowledge about this game, and see that MK boils down to a lot of 6:4 matchups and even matchups. Only a small handful of characters get shut out by MK; it's funny because there are other characters that completely shut out more characters than MK does.

Sadly, I think this poll isn't going to change too much. You can still go around the forums and see so many people complaining about MK and how he is broken. At this point, it is becoming pathetic that people can't learn one matchup; a matchup that probably isn't even their main's worst matchup. Every I time I see the word Whorenado I cringe.

But to say it again, most of MK's matchups put him in a small advantage; 6:4 is very winnable for the opposing character and if the player is too lazy to learn how to exploit their own advantages in the match then that is their fault. Even if they play one of those few characters who have a worse matchup, oh well. That is their fault too. They don't have to play that character. Maybe they really want to play that character. Still doesn't stop them from picking up a secondary.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
And you want there metagame to go down? Seeing as you want a mk ban? wtf? why are you arguing for them then that makes no sense. You live in texas. You want the ban...but we have great metagame. So you are not even sure.

and dont talk about trolling when you have a history of it even as a mod
This ban would be universal, not just in three states. I don't even get what you talk/argue about half the time.

Martel Hammer

Smash Apprentice
I'm going with not sure at this moment. Before, I was pro-ban, but at this point I realize that it is quite extreme to ban an entire character from a game. Yes, I do realize that MKs are coming to dominate more and more of the tourney scene, but is it the fault of the player, or the character?

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Xyro mentioned HOBO 11 in this too...

Why don't people discuss HOBO 11 where there were a bunch of high level players of other characters there too, instead of just talking about Whobo, which people are saying isn't a good example? Just wondering...

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Before we continue anymore, on what stipulations should a character be banned?
If you think with a sound mind-if he's too good. (lolololol he isn't)

If you play Brawl it's apparently all about making things more ****ing interesting. It wont change results at all, but oh gee wizz look at all the new Snake players.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I like how people are disregarding that TX has arguably the best Peach, at least two top Wario players, top Toon Links, a top Yoshi, a top Samus, two top Sonics, some top Game and Watches, and a top Snake, among other things, and they didn't even breach top 8.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Why not introduce a new system for "double-blind" picks when one person is choosing MK?

It is, quite simply, "single blind" picking, the player choosing MK openly states they are choosing MK, and the other player decides upon their very best character against MK (as there are NO good match-ups against MK, the most the person could possibly do by counter-picking MK with their best character is make the match-up 50:50, AKA winnable).

There are really 0 negatives to this new approach, and in my eyes this is a half-way decent approach to the MK situation without outright banning him (bannable character, yes, but that's a whole other ballpark, the verdict on banning will be out after the Genesis results come in, where ALL of the best players for each main will be present).

Master Raven

Smash Master
He should be either outright banned or not. I really dislike these arbitrary limitations regarding using him in tourney.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I like how people are disregarding that TX has arguably the best Peach, at least two top Wario players, top Toon Links, a top Yoshi, a top Samus, two top Sonics, some top Game and Watches, and a top Snake, among other things, and they didn't even breach top 8.
Best Wario(s): Fiction, Reflex, teh_spamerer
Best GW(s): LeePuff, OBM
Best Snake(s): Ally, DSF, Candy
The rest isn't really viable

Only DSF was there and he placed top3 (going Snake/D3/Wario most of the time)

Being the best Samus isn't a big accomplishment. It's not like many people have time to waste with such a garbage character.

:059:

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Why not introduce a new system for "double-blind" picks when one person is choosing MK?

It is, quite simply, "single blind" picking, the player choosing MK openly states they are choosing MK, and the other player decides upon their very best character against MK (as there are NO good match-ups against MK, the most the person could possibly do by counter-picking MK with their best character is make the match-up 50:50, AKA winnable).

There are really 0 negatives to this new approach, and in my eyes this is a half-way decent approach to the MK situation without outright banning him (bannable character, yes, but that's a whole other ballpark, the verdict on banning will be out after the Genesis results come in, where ALL of the best players for each main will be present).
Because that would only increase Metaknight use.
Which is not the goal.
Those who want a ban call for a more diverse metagame.
Areas are becoming more and more metaknight heavy, especially Texas And Meta Jersey.

I voted yes in favor of a seasonal ban to see what would happen to the metagame.
:070:

Falconv1.0

Smash Master

Being the best Samus isn't a big accomplishment. It's not like many people have time to waste with such a garbage character.

:059:
I think someone just won the ****ing thread.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero

:069:
Tell that to Gimpyfish.

:072:

using post numbers, i show that I have posion attacks, and kill your pokemon, I mean argument.

Nike.

Smash Hero
This.
10char

Suspect

Smash Hero
Us smash directors and other TO's have the option to ban mk right now at our Tournies if we want, but it seems like we are just waiting for the "sbr" to say it is ok just so we don't feel bad for doing it ourselves..lol

Im not gonna ban mk at any of my tournies, even tho i hate him with a passion. I'm going to wait and see what happens with him and future reults. I suggest others do also.

Sky`

Smash Lord
And I like how you're just completely disregarding other peaches accomplishments.

But like GHEB said, Peach isn't a tourney viable character by herself. Being the best with a bad character makes people pat you on the shoulder, cause you'll never see the finals at a regional going all D tier.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
not sure haha. Going to be hard.
I'm still rooting for you all the way! ( Your the second best player in the world and the best that doesn't use MK. Plus your vids are the best and collest. ):p

And if you can recall it, how did M2K beat you. I've seen vids of his and you seem to **** more. But then he beat you. Weird. I still think your gonna win.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Yes because there are less meta's in those places.
Wrong. Try again. Dont just say things and say they are fact.

Nike please look at the post Gheb made directly in response to that and uh, lurk moar.

I feel like yelling at Phantom for even mentioning characters like Peach, Yoshi, Samus, and Sonic who are bad to begin with.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
why are people *****ing about ONE tourney's results? wait till MORE tourneys are infected with MK's and then call for a poll or something! ONE bad tourney can happen!

ARGH SMASHBOARDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom