• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shuffle IV - November 9th, 2013 - Columbus, OH

sparkaura

Smash Apprentice
ok my last comment seemed kinda harsh, to be fair it was like 3 in the morning and I just drove all the way home from columbus lol.

so I'm just gonna say, the tournament was a lot of fun (which is the important part)
I thought it was well thought out for what it was, I just don't think you all were ready for a tournament of this size.

And that's not a bad thing, It was still fun as ****, I just thought I'd give some advice to help with the next event, which I will still gladly attend :)

We weren't expecting thing s to blow up the way they did. So, when more than 2x the number showed up, we were surprised. It was awesome that so many did show up though and it was a blast. We're discussing what to do better next time so suggestions are welcome. Also, the results thread is in progress as far as I know it'll be posted soon.

tm

Smash Ace
It's unfortunate that there wasn't very much space/ many setups considering there were many open tables in the nearby parts of the room, but if the turnout wasn't expected there's not much that could have been done. A few things I think could have helped:

1) SOMEBODY at the entrance directing people what to do with their setups, letting people know when/where registration would be, etc. When we got there there was nobody taking charge or communicating to us at all and it was very confusing.

2) When bracket starts, make everyone stop all friendlies. There were not more setups than bracket matches! When everyone continues to play, more people aren't paying attention, and then it is harder to tell which setups are open. On top of that, many people won't kick off people who are playing friendlies, and sometimes people playing the friendlies wouldn't get off until their game was over, even though the tournament was hours behind. This is RIDICULOUS in my opinion, and certainly contributed to the event not finishing. When drephen stepped up for singles he helped get **** done, but this was still an issue in general. Anyway good **** drephen

3) If possible, have a microphone set up so that the TOs can be clearly audible in that portion of the room, but if that's not possible, make sure everyone stops playing and talking when matches are first announced because people were clearly not paying attention when their matches were called. In many cases it was too loud to hear the TOs shouting from the very back corner. At one point in doubles I had to wait about 45 minutes for my opponent to play a match after being called before they were finally DQ'd. Again in singles I had to wait over 20 minutes for my opponent to show up after he was called for several times. Eventually one of the TOs found him and we played our match. This is absurd and is primarily an issue of communication between the TOs getting their messages across, and the players being attentive to these messages. However it is up to the TOs to create a situation in which the players can easily receive their messages. It is difficult to be done in such a large room with many events going on, but critical to the smoothness of the tournament. P.S. If someone gets a bye, it is unnecessary to announce it lol

4) Teams should not have team names (in my opinion). This is more controversial, but in this particular situation, it just makes people even harder to find in order to get them to play their matches since very few teams are known by their name as opposed to their individual tags. Just another thing that could have helped save time. EDIT: this is also bad regarding youtube videos and the stream. How are people supposed to know which videos they want to watch if the players are shown by their team name? You could title the matches by team name AND player names, but then it gets really bloated. Also people watching stream also won't know who they are watching save for irritating the chat.

5) When you register someone for doubles, record who their doubles partner is! This seems like a no-brainer, but it didn't happen for whatever reason. The arrangement of each doubles team wasn't even known until after doubles had been scheduled to start.

6) Make the bracket image easily accessible by everyone. This can mean having a projector show the image, or by putting the computer in a more accessible place. Bracket advancement was VERY tedious because people all clustered into the corner waiting to talk to the TOs. Just tell people to double click their name if they win the match, it's not that hard. Leave one person by the computer to watch and confirm / show people how to switch bracket images between games if they don't know.

I think that about covers it. Good luck to you guys next time. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time, but some of these things really upset me, and could have easily been done better.

Agent:Guilt~

Smash Cadet
NNID
ImAgentGuilt
This was probably my favorite tourney I've been to yet out of around 30 tournies. Everything was great and worked out for me personally except one thing..

If possible, give people name tags next time. It'll be easier for everyone when you say something like, "your opponent is x, go find them," which I did hear multiple times, and was said to me and I was left to find "Win" who I'm pretty sure didn't exist.. ;_;

Ballistaboy

Smash Journeyman
It's unfortunate that there wasn't very much space/ many setups considering there were many open tables in the nearby parts of the room, but if the turnout wasn't expected there's not much that could have been done. A few things I think could have helped:

1) SOMEBODY at the entrance directing people what to do with their setups, letting people know when/where registration would be, etc. When we got there there was nobody taking charge or communicating to us at all and it was very confusing.

2) When bracket starts, make everyone stop all friendlies. There were not more setups than bracket matches! When everyone continues to play, more people aren't paying attention, and then it is harder to tell which setups are open. On top of that, many people won't kick off people who are playing friendlies, and sometimes people playing the friendlies wouldn't get off until their game was over, even though the tournament was hours behind. This is RIDICULOUS in my opinion, and certainly contributed to the event not finishing. When drephen stepped up for singles he helped get **** done, but this was still an issue in general. Anyway good **** drephen

3) If possible, have a microphone set up so that the TOs can be clearly audible in that portion of the room, but if that's not possible, make sure everyone stops playing and talking when matches are first announced because people were clearly not paying attention when their matches were called. In many cases it was too loud to hear the TOs shouting from the very back corner. At one point in doubles I had to wait about 45 minutes for my opponent to play a match after being called before they were finally DQ'd. Again in singles I had to wait over 20 minutes for my opponent to show up after he was called for several times. Eventually one of the TOs found him and we played our match. This is absurd and is primarily an issue of communication between the TOs getting their messages across, and the players being attentive to these messages. However it is up to the TOs to create a situation in which the players can easily receive their messages. It is difficult to be done in such a large room with many events going on, but critical to the smoothness of the tournament. P.S. If someone gets a bye, it is unnecessary to announce it lol

4) Teams should not have team names (in my opinion). This is more controversial, but in this particular situation, it just makes people even harder to find in order to get them to play their matches since very few teams are known by their name as opposed to their individual tags. Just another thing that could have helped save time. EDIT: this is also bad regarding youtube videos and the stream. How are people supposed to know which videos they want to watch if the players are shown by their team name? You could title the matches by team name AND player names, but then it gets really bloated. Also people watching stream also won't know who they are watching save for irritating the chat.

5) When you register someone for doubles, record who their doubles partner is! This seems like a no-brainer, but it didn't happen for whatever reason. The arrangement of each doubles team wasn't even known until after doubles had been scheduled to start.

6) Make the bracket image easily accessible by everyone. This can mean having a projector show the image, or by putting the computer in a more accessible place. Bracket advancement was VERY tedious because people all clustered into the corner waiting to talk to the TOs. Just tell people to double click their name if they win the match, it's not that hard. Leave one person by the computer to watch and confirm / show people how to switch bracket images between games if they don't know.

I think that about covers it. Good luck to you guys next time. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time, but some of these things really upset me, and could have easily been done better.

Thank you for this list! We are definitely going to do whatever it takes to make sure none of these easy issues get worked out. For our future events we will definitely have a microphone (and make people stop friendlies), better registration - several computers with a knowledgeable person at each for different events, and bracket visibility to name a few things. I forgot to thank Drephen in my earlier post which I'm going to do now. Near the end of the tournament he went into action mode and made sure every match was getting played and people knew who they were playing next. We will institute all of these and other people's criticisms, as well as our own improvements to make sure our next event runs more smoothly!

mathos

Smash Champion

All of these things are good.
For #2, if I were running it I would walk around to each of the setups and unplug everyone. It may sound harsh but it gives you everyone's attention (which helps the issues with #3) and allows you to seamlessly start tourney matches.
For #6, given your predicament it looks like multiple computers and projectors were readily available. But for future events it would make things run so much smoother if you constantly know who needs to play who.

And separately I'd give out nametags so people can easily recognize people.

Hey guys,
I want to have a couple special shoutouts to a few people. Chauncey (sp?) for helping with seeding, and running project M solely. Those who helped seed Singles (Hael Phael, Mathos, and Zinoto), this tournament was so much easier with your guys' help! Finally to our casters Kiest and Jiffy, and everyone who came out and showed up to buff the Midwest/Cbus scene. We can't wait to hold next other tournament!
No problem. I didn't really do a whole bunch, BigR and someone else (sorry I forgot your name) helped me with all the newer guys. But in the end it didn't really matter because HankyPanky moved people around after the bracket was made.

Overall I think it was a good learning experience for TO's. Looking forward to another one. If you need help in the future and I'm still playing I'd be willing to help out.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
One thing I highly suggest is really organizing the space of the room better.
the way it was set up, It felt very crammed and was very hard to move around.

I'm a fan of organizing the tables into big square setups at my tournaments, with any friendly setups off the the side (this was also done at OSI 1, iirc). That way, you don't have 8 people trying to cram into one side of a table.

Also, the LoL stuff took up a lot of space. There were a lot of players, which is awesome, but if you consider the size of their setups, in comparison to smash setups, they really shouldn't have had over half the room.

Melee and Brawl also needed more space between them, it was very difficult to have two different tournaments running simultaneously almost trampling each other. People like to watch big matches. There wasn't crowd space for both games when they were pushed into each other like that.

overall, it was well done. It just needed a little more coordination :)
And if you'd like any other help or suggestions for the next one, just let me or any of the other experienced hosts know ^^

Suyon

Smash Lord
One thing I highly suggest is really organizing the space of the room better.
the way it was set up, It felt very crammed and was very hard to move around.

I'm a fan of organizing the tables into big square setups at my tournaments, with any friendly setups off the the side (this was also done at OSI 1, iirc). That way, you don't have 8 people trying to cram into one side of a table.

Also, the LoL stuff took up a lot of space. There were a lot of players, which is awesome, but if you consider the size of their setups, in comparison to smash setups, they really shouldn't have had over half the room.

Melee and Brawl also needed more space between them, it was very difficult to have two different tournaments running simultaneously almost trampling each other. People like to watch big matches. There wasn't crowd space for both games when they were pushed into each other like that.

overall, it was well done. It just needed a little more coordination :)
And if you'd like any other help or suggestions for the next one, just let me or any of the other experienced hosts know ^^
From my understanding, ESI and BuckeyeLAN were collaborating with each other. Most of the room was in use for BuckeyeLAN. While ESI had only that much space provided from the beginning. Later Project M had its own area and a few more brawl set ups were put in the opposite side of the room.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
yes I saw, to be fair, I don't think the space should have really been shared like that, space is a very hard thing to find, and it's always better to have more of it.

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
Here's a new update on my job status.

I had to summon my job developer and job coach to see how I could take Saturdays off. I found out from my manager that I can do this on a couple conditions:

1) I can only request a day off everyone once in a while. It can't be every week or every other week.

2) I must request a day off at least 2 weeks in advance. The longer the distance between when I request a day off to when I reach that specific day, the more likely I will in fact get that day off.

I will use this to go to Phoenix Saga 6 on December 7th. I might even be able to go to Apex.

Alex Bauer

Smash Rookie
Whats up everyone. Im not sure if this is the right place to post this but I am a second year at OSU and I have been looking for some competitive brawl players around. I'd like to get together with some people and play. I know the e sports initiative at OSU holds events every Thursday, but i cannot make these events. Hit me up if anyone wants to get their butt kicked in brawl. My names alex and you can email me alexshernandez308@gmail.com

Suyon

Smash Lord
Whats up everyone. Im not sure if this is the right place to post this but I am a second year at OSU and I have been looking for some competitive brawl players around. I'd like to get together with some people and play. I know the e sports initiative at OSU holds events every Thursday, but i cannot make these events. Hit me up if anyone wants to get their butt kicked in brawl. My names alex and you can email me alexshernandez308@gmail.com
Go here http://smashboards.com/threads/columbus-oh-social-and-smashfest-thread.325591/ or here https://www.facebook.com/groups/302630169803625/

Poppo

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, so I signed up for the two day venue fee a couple of weeks ago, but now I want to sign up for Sm4sh and the registration isn't giving me the option to uncheck the venue fee that I already paid for. How do I go about this? Thanks!!

Top Bottom