• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Simna ibn Sind's Guide to PK Thunder (NTSC)

Dark_Ness

Smash Journeyman
I can think of 2 ways, but that's it:

1. It's one of the ways to equip a thunder jacket when you performed a YYG.
2. You can set yourself in the lying down position after KOing your opponent so you can techroll away from them when they get near.

actionlen

Smash Journeyman
when ness fires pk thunder he can give a shock from his body, I don't know if you knew this but ok here's the deal. If only practiced this on falco, at FD training mode. this is how I do it:
-Uthrow "falco"
-just before he lands you jump and cancel it with a pk thunder
-"falco" will be stunned now your pk thunder will go on
- pk thunder2 into falco.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Peachtress said:
Question, How is the floor-blast effective in-game? While watching your vids, I saw that section is It was rather peculiar to me...

(sorreh for resurrection)
because hitting NOTHING with pk thunder is the worst thing you could do

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
im implying that if u dont hit your opponent with pk thunder or hit yourself(floorblast or otherwise) then u have put yourself in a very laggy situation with almost no good effect

actionlen

Smash Journeyman
Uhmmm my tactic

"when ness fires pk thunder he can give a shock from his body, I don't know if you knew this but ok here's the deal. If only practiced this on falco, at FD training mode. this is how I do it:
-Uthrow "falco"
-just before he lands you jump and cancel it with a pk thunder
-"falco" will be stunned now your pk thunder will go on
- pk thunder2 into falco."

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
what percent does that work at? i cant picture it working at 0%...and if you tailwhip falco on his way down from the uthrow then it stops his tumble and he can jump out...can u make a video of this?

actionlen

Smash Journeyman
I will try shooting one, you can also do this on the ledge, if someone roll back on the stage and your standing on the place where he's going to end and his still in his rolling animation you can shock him with your body and still control you pk thunder

actionlen

Smash Journeyman
It's not possible for me making a video sorry. The only way I can explain it is.
Ness does his pk thunder and you oppenent walks against ness and he gets a shock. the pk thunder didn't hit him, but the oppenent hit ness (not attacked just walked into ness).

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
wow...aparently ness has the best edgeguarding...

whats to most times you can hit opponent(s) with pk thunder? i mean, like 3 lvl 1 comps?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Has anyone tried this?

It's kinda a mixture of the yo-yo glitch and PKThunder2. Set up a trap box, and go for a deathline. When the opponent is between the trap box and you, jump off the edge. Try to go far enough away so that they cant hit you, but are edgeguarding you. Then do a Pkthunder two at the same level as the stage. And bam, a PKthunder2 hits your enemy. Just make sure you recover. It's also funny getting them to say "How did that hit me?! :confused: "

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
Glitch, maybe?

So. I was in training mode training my pkt2 aiming (I had Mario on Attack) and when i fired my pkt and was coming back down to floorblast mario, he u-smashed me, at the same moment i hit myself, and I took like 1% damage and i did an aerial swdcc (Sounds stupid i know.) across the stage

ok. tell me what you think? glitch or a very hard trick?
Sadly I couldn't do it again.

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
By aerial swdcc i mean that i slided across the stage like i was doing a swd and i didn't flew off the mario's u-smash (therefore the cc). I'm sorry but my video camera is broken and i dont have capture card/web cam so i cant record it, if it is what you mean. I'll post a video when i fix the cam or something and figure out how i did it.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure what this is. No, Ness does NOT have a super wavedash. If Mario capes PKT2 if he's standing on the ground and you are close enough to the ground, rather than going in the opposite direction like you'd expect, you'd travel the length of the stage. It might have happened fast enough (like the first few frames of the cape) or just surprised you enough that you didn't notice the cape come out. It happens all the time, just a glitch.

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
Does that work for PAL too? Actually in a team match with friendly-fire on that's almost like a swd.

And it maybe was like that b/c I wasn't watching mario after I started sliding so he may have used his cape, idk. That'll explain why I couldn't do it again.

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
If i remember right it was something between 70 and 90

PS. post number 25

LilNess

Smash Rookie
Ahh I have read both the Ness guides, I am gonnna go practice the PK thunder fake outs and the other tricks, I might be going to a tourny in NJ soon so I plan to do half decent.Thanks for the guide.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Oh yeah, and Simna, would the "one last hit" technique be worthy of making it into the guide? When you are off the stage, and know your not gonna make it, you send out a PK Thunder towards your opponent who doesn't expect anything. It may not work on those who are always on their toes, but it does work on some people. It works on those who stall during their "alone" time , pose, or like to laugh at your death (Because they never see you die since you play the best character! :chuckle: ). Even if you don't hit, you will either have messed up charge moves, weakened their shield, or something else to annoy them.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
overall its just an extra 8% for your opponent....its like when fox is out too far so he just fires lasers...but there are actually instances where u can kill an opponent with PK Thunder after they have knocked u out of recovery range

such as when ppl jump off to hit u....after they hit u u can hit them with pk thunder and do things like...pull them underneath Battlefield....or spike them into the side of FD

technomancer

Smash Champion
I have a question about PKTB: When is the most immediate frame you can recover? For instance, if a Marth is doing a tight ledge recovery, can I PKTB and then dtilt him?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I was experimenting with PK Thunder and found some stuff that you might want to add

ThunderScoop: When usnig PK thunder on the ground, you can actually gain some height by hitting yourself at Ness' heels or toes. The maximum height I ever gained was a little more than a Bowsers height. What you do is you send out a PK Thunder, and let it go out straight up a bit. Then, you ring it around and hit the heel of his right foot or the toe of his left. If done correctly he should gain some height. I use it in false dguards sometimes.

FlexWhip: A bit like the Thunder Swell Surprise. You first must target an enemy in mid-air. You send out a PK Thunder to your enemy and tailwhip them as much as possible. When they are about a full jump above you, bring the thunder back and floorblast yourself. By the time they land, they should be next to a grounded Ness. Finish with a flexkick.

False Thunder Aid: Whenan opponent is recovering, hit them with a thunderbolt. This will bring them back to the stage, and then follow up with a good edgeguard attack. People are usually like "Oh thanks!:grin: " and then I bat them and I'm like'You're welcome!:laugh: "

Reverse Recovery: This is probably known, but I know some specifics. This is basically utting the thunder in front of you (Meaning towards the stage) and recovering in that direction. To do this, you don't want to recover like normally. You must first get a feeling of how tight the thunder can turn. When you do, find the area you want the thunder to hit Ness. Now make sure when you make the tightest turn you can with thunder that you hit that point on Ness. You should hit yourself towards the stage. You also want to make an egg shape around Ness befor hitting him.
*Tries to make a diagram as good as Simna's*

Me: I'll never be as good as him!:(
This can be used if you jumped off th stage to edgeguard someone and you don't want them to get in you way upon recovering. Also, for those who like to eat thunder for lunch.

Complete Vertical: Pretty obvious what it is. I feel that this is known too, but again, I have specifics. To do a completevertical PKT2, you must ring the thunder around Ness ina semi-heart shape. Then you hit the heel of the foot in the farthest from the direction you wish to face (Very important!). Any slight misdirection and you will have some angle to your PKT2.
This is good if you are in a place you can't slope at and are too far to airdodge up. Like Battlefeild or the upper part of FD.

Anti-Edgehog: Not sure if this has been mentioned. Basically,there are some areas that you can't get recover without a sweetspot. And sometimes, the enemy will realize this and edgehog. Well instead of going straightfor the edge, try toangle your PKT2 so that you slide up is a bit before you actually grab it. When the opponent rolls off to avoid your PKT2, you will not have grabbed the ledge yet, but will once the game sees your opponent as off the edge. Easy to do in Dreamland 64 and FD.

And Simna, I have a few questions. Can you make a section on thunderslides and the staic glitch? Thunderslides I want to find uses for and exactly how to do them 9I do them about 75% of the time I try) and the static glitch I just findto be a nice little addition in the guide. Also, why was grounded tailwhips and reverse edgeguards removed from volume 2? And sorry if this is old stuff. I just didn't see these in the guide and wanted to help.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
LMAO @ the drawing

Anyway, most of those things you mentioned were either explained in this thread or a different thread. Thank you for reposting them.

I was thinking of some things that could be done in teams. Well, you know how you can tailwhip an opponent to mess with their recovery? And how hitting people with the head makes them fly up? If someone is trying to spike your teammate, anyone ever try tailwhipping your opponent, and then bringing the head over to your teammate to save him? I know it's not practical in all situations, like when your other opponent is on your rear end, but it sounds like something to try in the situations when it might be practical.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
lol is that Fox on the stage?

EDIT: oh yeah and i didnt put in grounded tailwhips because when i started making the second video i didnt plan on just re-doing the 1st one, but a lot of the stuff ended up in their anyway....and Reverse Edgeguard was in there if only briefly^_^. The one i talked about that i didnt include was Pray....and simply because its sooooo difficult

The_CheapNess

Smash Apprentice
LOL funny pic man i like it :)

oh and for 2v2, i want to see someone jump out, tailwhip thier partner and still PKT2 back onto the stage. THAT would be ****ing leet to the max

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
LOL funny pic man i like it :)

oh and for 2v2, i want to see someone jump out, tailwhip thier partner and still PKT2 back onto the stage. THAT would be ****ing leet to the max
I've done that before. Not the jumping out part, but the saving of my partner with the tail after we both got knocked in the same direction off the stage. Jumping out is too risky and not worth the risk. Especially since you're more likely to screw your partner's recovery with the tail than help him (unless he already used his up b or is knocked into the tail), and if you mess up your partner will effectively be edgeguarding you. :p

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Hehe thanks

Yeah that's Fox. I'm just annoying my friend whoplays Fos and hates on Ness just beacause I beat him with him.:laugh:

Edi: Ooo... I meant false edgeguards!

I just noticed that Snaking wasn't in the guide either. I don't know where I heard this, but it was mentioned somewhere before. If you wish to hit your foe with PKT, send it at them while curving it repeatedly. This promotes tailwhips, makes it harder to avoid, makes it last longer in a general area (less airdodging), a bit less predictable, and can make truining a bit quicker since you will already be in the process of a turn. The more you curve it, the more difficult it is to avoid, but will travel a shorter distance.

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
Nice pic lol.

My friend's copy of SSBM won't let me do PKT Barrier. And it's not PAL...
The PKT disappears after I get hit.

But I thought PKTB works on all NTSC versions... can someone please explain?

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
Oh yeah...
Also, Electric Ness does NOT work in his version (just to help with the version pinpoint).

;_; He has the anti-Ness version...

Top Bottom