• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple Questions & Answers Thread (READ FAQ in OP)

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Is there any reason to tilt ftilt down? I'm mostly wondering about fighting Marth because I've been fighting more of him lately, but I'm interested against anyone really.

Edit: After reading Rag askin' about turning around to down-b, does it have more range/do more damage infront of him than behind?

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Is there any reason to tilt ftilt down? I'm mostly wondering about fighting Marth because I've been fighting more of him lately, but I'm interested against anyone really.

Edit: After reading Rag askin' about turning around to down-b, does it have more range/do more damage infront of him than behind?
I'm not sure about forwardtilting downwards but his ground pound has the same ground range from both sides of him no matter what.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····

there is a better chance for then to trip if you angle it down but if they're that far away you really can't follow it up with anything.

yes down b does have more range in front then back but same damage

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
^ I think it does have more range from the front than the back. IMO.

ook

Smash Lord
Pretty sure down-b does have more range in front.

and ftilting downwards... there's not really much point. It trips at low percents like dtilt, but you can just use dtilt for that.

edit: WOAH, double ninjapost. DK boards are active....

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
LOL, like i said ill post when i need to.

But yea down tilt is the way to go, the only time you would want to use downward angled forward tilt would be to hit a person off the edge.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
DK isn't as technical as other characters that's why, but he's more epic than other characters too.
Epic? Oh yeah. Not as technical? IDK about that. The up-b techs alone are pretty technical (obviously he has more than that, but they are the most recognizable). As technical as Link and Diddy? Not at all, but at the very least more technical than characters like Luigi, Wario and even Metaknight (unless you count the number of button presses in that last example).

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
DK isn't as technical as other characters that's why, but he's more epic than other characters too.
Okay everyone is using the word "epic" for the wrong reasons, or at least in the wrong context.
The true definition: Noting or pertaining to a long poetic composition, usually centered upon a hero; heroic.

People are using epic in place of a piece of media or animation that was appealing to them, or just replacing it with the word "cool".
Cool and epic are two different words -_-...

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Okay everyone is using the word "epic" for the wrong reasons, or at least in the wrong context.
The true definition: Noting or pertaining to a long poetic composition, usually centered upon a hero; heroic.

People are using epic in place of a piece of media or animation that was appealing to them, or just replacing it with the word "cool".
I'd call playing a character that has his credibility shot by one stupid move (d-throw) pretty heroic. If you want to get technical about the language, please take into consideration that slag DOES exist and is part of the vernacular. Definitions can change. As long as the intent behind the use of a word is still communicated, it doesn't matter anyways.

daisho

Smash Lord

Epic has come to mean more than just its original meaning in online slang. That is not the only meaning anymore.

ook

Smash Lord
ep⋅ic
  /ˈɛpɪk/ [ep-ik]

–adjective Also, ep⋅i⋅cal.
1.noting or pertaining to a long poetic composition, usually centered upon a hero, in which a series of great achievements or events is narrated in elevated style: Homer's Iliad is an epic poem.
2.resembling or suggesting such poetry: an epic novel on the founding of the country.
3.heroic; majestic; impressively great: the epic events of the war.
4.of unusually great size or extent: a crime wave of epic proportions.

–noun
5.an epic poem.
6.epic poetry.
7.any composition resembling an epic.
8.something worthy to form the subject of an epic: The defense of the Alamo is an American epic.
9.(initial capital letter) Also called Old Ionic. the Greek dialect represented in the Iliad and the Odyssey, apparently Aeolic modified by Ionic.

^ I think those can apply to DK

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
How do you perform multiple craq walks or w.e they are called. Do you crouch quickly afterwards, or what. Every time I attempt it, I DD.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
How do you perform multiple craq walks or w.e they are called. Do you crouch quickly afterwards, or what. Every time I attempt it, I DD.
Craq walking, or doop walking? Craq walking refers to the turnaround animation that speeds you up after landing. Doop walking is doing the turn around animation repeatedly while on the ground to move faster than normal walking speed (or in Link's case, running speed).

The thread on doop walking is here.

lucha5

Banned via Warnings
Alright so im thinking of maining Dk, cause since october i been maining diddy and I love he racks dmg But some many times at the Tourney I couldnt get the final blow.
Even tho Dk has bad match-up vs D3 there's always a way to win.
So is there anythingi should start learning
Like could somebody put in order
Of what i should learn first and Last.
Thanks in advance.

crifer

Smash Lord
there´s no real secret to DK.
learn to use his moves at the right time.
learn to DI and momentum cancel.
learn SA frames (punch+upB).
sh double bair. throws+spikes.
watch vids.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Can someone either confirm that this is old/test and confirm this for me? I was playing around with Wario's air release and realized that if you buffer a fully charged punch, Wario lands on the hit-box. My brother couldn't escape it as Wario when I was testing it out at 1/4th through normal speed. A guaranteed 28%/kill move off of a single grab is nothing to sneeze at, especially since we can also boost-smash a u-smash for a guaranteed 18%/kill move also.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Craq walking, or doop walking? Craq walking refers to the turnaround animation that speeds you up after landing. Doop walking is doing the turn around animation repeatedly while on the ground to move faster than normal walking speed (or in Link's case, running speed).

The thread on doop walking is here.
:dizzy: Who made all these terms. I've heard being called wavedashing too.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Thrilla did you go to tourney play? How did you do?

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Thrilla did you go to tourney play? How did you do?

Not too bad in teams, but I didn't get out of pools for singles.

I was with a Wario player, and I went DK and Diddy (mostly DK. From what I can remember I switched to Diddy vs. an Oli player one round and a peach/Zelda team another). First round was M2K and Fiction. XD We shaved off four stocks first round, then they took us seriously and we only got one kill off of each of them. After that, we beat a couple teams in losers, and then lost to a Zelda/Peach team. I got gayed by Frigate twice on their CP. I fell between the moving platform and the solid platform. No idea how. I now hate that stage. :mad:

Anyways, we went Brinstar for our CP, which was a mistake considering that we could have gone Yoshi's Island. Oh well. I figure for not having been in the scene long, 13th out of 32 isn't too bad. I'm still aiming to make it in the Oregon Power Rankings by the end of the year, though. We'll see. :laugh:

BTW, I was playing around more with the Wario grab release and I think I've found everything possible out of it. No idea where to list it other than here. Sorry if its old.

f-tilt
reversed u-tilt
step forward D-smash
hyphen u-smash
f-smash
u-air
bair
nair

daisho

Smash Lord
lol... funny how you tried nair, can't see how that can ever be even close to useful... but nice info.

Also, good job on the tourney!

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
lol... funny how you tried nair, can't see how that can ever be even close to useful... but nice info.

Also, good job on the tourney!

Well, when you want to be thorough... Oh and I think dash attack works too. Its not useful at all when you consider your other options, but hey.

Oh, and thanks!

Edit: And headbutt. Ok, I'm done now, I promise. XD

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Lol you forgot the most epic one (punch). You also forgot Dair. The timing is really hard but it is guaranteed if you do it right.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Lol you forgot the most epic one (punch). You also forgot Dair. The timing is really hard but it is guaranteed if you do it right.
I mentioned Punch a bit earlier, so I forgot to mention it again, lol. As for dair, my bro was able to get out of it every time with an air dodge. I was doing it in practice mode on 1/4th speed and no matter how I buffered, he had enough time to escape (when I did pull it off, he wasn't buffering an air dodge). Were you able to do it with a frame by frame hack? If so, what is the margin of error? I'd do it myself, but I don't have the hack.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
The thing is you have to buffer a dash, jump and the Dair. If they are all not buffered he can airdodge. The main reason it is tricky is that holding forward too long overrides anything you tried to buffer.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
The thing is you have to buffer a dash, jump and the Dair. If they are all not buffered he can airdodge. The main reason it is tricky is that holding forward too long overrides anything you tried to buffer.
He can get away if he buffers an air dodge and DIs away on the release. We just re-tested it and I'm 95% sure that he can. He has to buffer a jump too if he wants to get away while onstage due to how long dair's hit-box lasts, though. Also, with the 10 other things he has to worry about on release, we might be able to get away with it even if it doesn't work perfectly due to the multiple DI requirements for everything else. I'll see if I can find the frame data and run the numbers later to be sure. If it can hit, I'm guessing that it needs to be frame perfect or pretty close to it. I could still be wrong though, and I would much prefer that I was. Grab release to stomp is too good to pass up. :)

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
The fsmash and dair shouldn't be guaranteed on Wario. He should be able to jump away from the fsmash and air dodge the dair. If these were guaranteed, people wouldn't be upsmashing all the time.

daisho

Smash Lord
Well depending on where you are on the stage, U smash might be better. And as Big O said, the timing for D air might be really strict.

I always trust what big o says... hes a smart guy...

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
I generally look at frame data for these things. Based on that, the dair's hitbox should come out on the exact same frame that Wario would get invincibility from an air dodge.

If there's any problem with the frame data (or my interpretation of it), I could be wrong. And either way, it will definitely work if Wario doesn't buffer an air dodge.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Argh. I just re-tested it, and Wario CAN jump away from the f-smash. I don't see it being an issue for the other ones, but I'll re-test today to make sure. As for the dair, I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure that it isn't guaranteed. The problem is that the Wario has to DI, air dodge and jump all at the same time to avoid it unless he is off stage, in which case he just needs to DI and air dodge.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I was more sure about the fsmash than the dair. I remember old threads of people saying that a fsmash or a 9-wind would work, but both are a little too slow.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Yeah, I was more sure about the fsmash than the dair. I remember old threads of people saying that a fsmash or a 9-wind would work, but both are a little too slow.
Yup. All the other ones are still guaranteed, though. Just finished re-testing with the same results minus f-smash.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Well I tested it again lol. Fsmash and Dair are both guaranteed. There is no way Wario can escape the Fsmash. Even though he can jump he will not move out of the way fast enough. I tested DJing backwards, forwards, and without a direction. None of them work. If you look at the frame data you will see that Fsmash hits on frame 22 and a SH Dair hits on frame 24. Air releases give a 21 frame advantage. This means Wario has 1 frame to do something before getting hit for Fsmash and 3 frames before getting hit by a SH Dair. Air dodging is invincible on frame 4 and jumping doesn't go very far in a few frames.

You probably either are not buffering correctly or messed up more often and concluded Wario getting hit as flukes. The buffering for Dair is tricky but it is doable. If you know what you are doing it is very easy to do on 1/4 spd. I don't know how you messed up on buffering Fsmash. The only way I can think of you messing up would be to keep spamming it and by doing so holding a direction which will override anything you tried to buffer. Grab release to Fsmash is very easy. Grab release to SH Dair must be frame perfect but it is still doable.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Well I tested it again lol. Fsmash and Dair are both guaranteed. There is no way Wario can escape the Fsmash. Even though he can jump he will not move out of the way fast enough. I tested DJing backwards, forwards, and without a direction. None of them work. If you look at the frame data you will see that Fsmash hits on frame 22 and a SH Dair hits on frame 24. Air releases give a 21 frame advantage. This means Wario has 1 frame to do something before getting hit for Fsmash and 3 frames before getting hit by a SH Dair. Air dodging is invincible on frame 4 and jumping doesn't go very far in a few frames.

You probably either are not buffering correctly or messed up more often and concluded Wario getting hit as flukes. The buffering for Dair is tricky but it is doable. If you know what you are doing it is very easy to do on 1/4 spd. I don't know how you messed up on buffering Fsmash. The only way I can think of you messing up would be to keep spamming it and by doing so holding a direction which will override anything you tried to buffer. Grab release to Fsmash is very easy. Grab release to SH Dair must be frame perfect but it is still doable.
I'm getting it again now. It probably had something to do with my c-stick, seeing as I stopped using it for buffering the f-smash and it started working again. I should switch up my controllers for future testing. Still not sure about dair though, but IDK at this point seeing that my c-stick isn't working 100%.

Top Bottom