• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SINGLES Lucario Match-Ups and Directory! Mario will brb saving a princess

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Does anybody really know why they do that sometimes?

When Popo's in a relatively close proximity, the position of him affects her movement. You can manipulate to an extent whether Nana jumps or not.

which is why people like snake are able to get away with silly fsmashes to Nana, since ftilt has a relatively high amount of knockback after getting damage up so quickly.

Oh yeah and at least she's smarter than she was in Melee. Crazy taunting in the middle of something ftl.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
I caught junebug syndrome and need help with the Snake MU.

If I can't read them I do stupid stuff and get FTilted.

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord
Stutterstep FSmash is your best friend in the snake matchup.

If you get caught next to him and you're both in shield, gtfo ASAP, even always rolldodging back(results in a dash attack) is much better than taking a utilt or an ftilt,(grammatically 'an ftilt' is wrong, but 'a utilt' is ALSO wrong, but it's the pronunciation of the word that makes it sound right...always ticks me off but it wont sound right...)
which gives you like 20-30 random damage you could have avoided instead of the like 10 from a dash attack.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
As everyone's noticed, I've been kinda busy lately, and I've been wanting to look at other projects, and since I'm going to be gone for a week or two, I'm going to hand this thread off to someone by the end of the week.

Tony T

Smash Ace
As everyone's noticed, I've been kinda busy lately, and I've been wanting to look at other projects, and since I'm going to be gone for a week or two, I'm going to hand this thread off to someone by the end of the week.
I have a feeling I know who possibly three people I can think of lol. I wont say until you do so Phi1ny3.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
If so many lucarios are having trouble with the snake match-up why is the ratio 55-45?

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
I think its because some days Snakes just get juggled hard.

and then some days Snake just... *****.

due to this the difficulty can fluctuate if you're not terriiiiiiiiibly consistent.

He can be a hot or cold character sometimes.

Nevertheless, Snakes are just going to continue to get harder.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
If so many lucarios are having trouble with the snake match-up why is the ratio 55-45?
Because it's changing.

The MU chart, as you've noticed, is a little dated.

A lot thought it was 45:55 when we rediscussed this the first time. Most of these ratios, you must understand, came from a "mode" tally, merely finding the most common ratio and placing it on. We've changed to an average (something MTI is working on right now). My argument for the longest time was what I saw that went on with TX Lucarios against Razer, I always noticed they did really well first stock, but let momentum get in the way which would enable Razer to win (since snake is very momentum/clutch material) but then we see Trela 2-0 Razer, and I noticed the impliments he used in that match were far different than what he usually does, so I'm hopeful, I've changed to 40:60 awhile ago lol, so I'm hoping that if Trela becomes more consistent in that MU that I'm wrong.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
There are some interesting things that Trela did...I took notes. Granted, I think it's still in Snake's favor and Trela still hates that matchup, lol. I will say this dtilt is very interesting in the matchup...

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I started telling trela to experiment with Dtilt.

Needless to say he and Lee Martin have been using it pretty well.

Including that lol dtilt lock -> fsmash Lee did against Esam in doubles.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Hey guys, since we're all thinking about Snake right now, can we make him like our official discussion?

After deep thought and meditation I think we aren't playing the Snake MU right. When we get the chance we do not always throw him offstage and force him to Cypher. That way we could frame trap him into landing into an AS/FSmash/FTilt/returned nades.

A lot of players are starting to play the "trap" style of Snake more and that's making it difficult to get inside and land some half-decent strings.

Hell, I think we're all in agreement now that MK is easier than Snake. With the exception of them taking us to Brinstar or Rainbow Cruise.

Snakes are likely to B-reverse nades in the air because its 95% of the time a better option than air dodging.

We have a true frame advantage against his UTilt and Ftilt2 (if he decides to use both) if we roll behind him. We can Jab or Grab him most reliably out of his UTilt, but we have a few more options out of his FTilt2.

His moves are a lot faster than ours in CQC.

List of things we should learn:
1. Exact timing when nades blow up. (Go to training mode and practice perfect shielding or Air Walking them.) Also, if you know the exact time they blow up you could throw an AS through an explosion at Snake.
2. Not get grabbed out of his Grenade cancel. (You could roll behind him for shenanigans, but I don't know the frame advantages/disadvantages for that.)
3. "When in doubt aim for the head (or feet)." People are keen on perfect shielding when something is aimed at the body, but chances are they aren't going to perfectly shield something that is aimed at the head or feet.
4. Doesn't hurt to learn glidetossing for more approach/spacing options.
5. Be aware when AS clings (lower than 12%) with Grenades.
6. lulz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7rMy3-c9s Don't get pressured in CQC.

The more pressure he can apply to us with his nades the easier time he has approaching us.

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord
Also always keep an eye on every explosive he has, don't get that "Now!" [HOLY **** AM I STANDING ON A C4!?]

When 2 nades have been thrown, you can go in a little closer, but once nade 1 blows up get out of there, this matchup is VERY campy.

Tony T

Smash Ace
Hey guys, since we're all thinking about Snake right now, can we make him like our official discussion?

After deep thought and meditation I think we aren't playing the Snake MU right. When we get the chance we do not always throw him offstage and force him to Cypher. That way we could frame trap him into landing into an AS/FSmash/FTilt/returned nades.

A lot of players are starting to play the "trap" style of Snake more and that's making it difficult to get inside and land some half-decent strings.

Hell, I think we're all in agreement now that MK is easier than Snake. With the exception of them taking us to Brinstar or Rainbow Cruise.

Snakes are likely to B-reverse nades in the air because its 95% of the time a better option than air dodging.

We have a true frame advantage against his UTilt and Ftilt2 (if he decides to use both) if we roll behind him. We can Jab or Grab him most reliably out of his UTilt, but we have a few more options out of his FTilt2.

His moves are a lot faster than ours in CQC.

List of things we should learn:
1. Exact timing when nades blow up. (Go to training mode and practice perfect shielding or Air Walking them.) Also, if you know the exact time they blow up you could throw an AS through an explosion at Snake.
2. Not get grabbed out of his Grenade cancel. (You could roll behind him for shenanigans, but I don't know the frame advantages/disadvantages for that.)
3. "When in doubt aim for the head (or feet)." People are keen on perfect shielding when something is aimed at the body, but chances are they aren't going to perfectly shield something that is aimed at the head or feet.
4. Doesn't hurt to learn glidetossing for more approach/spacing options.
5. Be aware when AS clings (lower than 12%) with Grenades.
6. lulz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7rMy3-c9s Don't get pressured in CQC.

The more pressure he can apply to us with his nades the easier time he has approaching us.
True on that Infinity. Also I want to add if you're at a high percentage dont Air dodge Snakes nades when he throws them up at you because sometimes you end up catching it when you dodge and blows up in your face before you realize it best option when he does that would be to use the b-reversal to move away from the nades so it can alter your trajectory with little problems. It happened to LucarioOwl in PolyBrawl 4 he airdodged the granade and ended up killing him before he realized he was holding it when it was thrown at him.

Also always keep an eye on every explosive he has, don't get that "Now!" [HOLY **** AM I STANDING ON A C4!?]

When 2 nades have been thrown, you can go in a little closer, but once nade 1 blows up get out of there, this matchup is VERY campy.
True on that Shippo. That happened to me at PolyBrawl 4 against Allied. I was perfectshielding his u-tilts and nades but what killed me was that C4 it can catch you off guard when you get distracted by nades. Possible escape senario is to use DT when he says now just in case or stay in the air when he uses the C4 so if it does blow you wont get hit by it.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
When I play as Snake, the one thing that catches people offguard is "grenade countering". People really need to learn how to pluck snake and space properly to avoid blowing up the grenades (or better yet, just throw them lol).

The other is how quickly "Now!" ends. Lots of people forget how fast snake can throw out a bair/uair while he does it in the air thinking he has to recover from the lag of detonating c4.

So glad we have best rolls and long air time, helps in avoiding some grenade pressure.

You gotta also read FF AD. Probably one of his best options in the air next to b-reversing. The more you practice against snakes, the more you see differences in habitual tendencies. Snake imo is really player-oriented (both ways, actually) since he can be very deadly if he knows how you play, but conversely if you know his patterns with his strong but few tools, it helps you as well.

Steam

Smash Hero
to avoid accidentally catching a grenade thrown up with AD couldn't you just insta throw it down? Insta throwing is a total must in this MU in many situations =/

culexus・wau

stuff I learned today in friendlies/MMs at the end:

Snake is vulnerable during grenade pull, not for long but the window is there if you read it, esp in the air.

if your fsmash is saved, its reallllllly **** for killing snake, easier to hit then AS imo but you don't get predictable.

predict when snakes wants to FF out of cypher onto the ledge, its not hard to get snake into this position.

We need to be punishing UpB lag more wtf.

and

Sometimes when you DI random nairs you'll go at a 80 degree angle behind snake and die hella early.

</3 ****.

also I'm hella ****ing rusty in the pika MU, Air dodging immediately out of upsmash instead of fairing, not DIng dsmash all the time. and getting hit by random QUACK NAIRS.

looool I'll re-learn it though.

and Phil, honestly, I don't think grenade countering is a big deal for us really, No one else in this game gets a benefit from getting damage, I'm not saying ALWAYS blow up the grenade, but maybe if you're like in the right %s and you know you can follow his DI..... its not that bad to blow up the nade snake is holding and continue the string.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Pssst!

Hey Infinity?

Wanna know a secret?

This doesn't ****ing work.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Let's do a little math here. Assuming everything is perfect and we buffer frames perfectly.

Alright, considering it takes 38 frames for Snake to UTilt and subtract from that our 27 frames to roll. Okay 11 frames, and 5 to grab/Jab, that's tight.

But wait! We actually have a couple more frames to Jab or Grab.

Let's just say Snake immediately spotdodges as we roll behind him.

If we attempt a grab... we have an additional frame to grab him, but if we saw him do that we could just Jab him, during his ending lag for his spotdodge, right?

If Snake does not spotdodge we have at least 4 additional frames to grab him because it takes at least 1 frame to turn around and 3 frames to use his Jab. His FTilt takes 4 frames to startup too.

If he does not spotdodge we have 9 frames to grab him assuming he's frame perfect.

If he does spotdodge we have 6 frames to grab him due to his spotdodge having invincibility starting on frame 2. You could just Jab if he does spotdodge though.

So... although small our frame advantage is humanly possible at least.

Snake's UTilt

Base Damage: - 13 for strong hitboxes, 12 for weak hitboxes.
Base Knockback – 37 for strong hitboxes, 2D for soft hitboxes
Knockback gain – All 5F
Weight Knockback – All 0
Hitbox comes out at frame - 6
First IASA Frame – N/A
Direction – 95 for strong hitboxes, 84 for soft hitboxes
Total frames - 38
Miscellaneous – This has a lot of hitboxes.(6) No wonder it has a lot of range.
Hitbox duration – 8 for strong hitboxes, 6 for soft hitboxes
Landing Lag -
Tripping rate(If any) – 0%
Hitlag multiplier – x1
SDI potential – x1

Snake's Spotdodge
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7005/spotdodge.gif
Invincibility Frames begin at frame 2
Duration – 19
Total Frames – 26

Lucario's Roll
Invulnerable on Frame: 4
Vulnerable on Frame: 19
Complete on Frame: 27

culexus・wau

Or you could just you know.

Shield the uptilt.

its much safer and doesn't run the risk if you getting read to utilt. [at least directly]

If you're going to roll behind snake roll just because you want to crossover or something, its kinda risky considering we can eat a hit if we mistime it [it's happened to me before <<]

junebug

Smash Journeyman
solid snake is everything, he's all you ever wanted.
you can win a set now even if you never won it.
clashes he always wins, trades he ain't never gonna.
you want him forever, any counterpick he'll roof you on it.

A! press it tilting side or up.
then tilt down and press R like you don't give a ***.
i know you wait for it. but you're out of luck.
i can do the same thing every single time.

solid snake da bes.
solid snake da bes.
solid snake da bes.

now lucarios be mad.
junebug he be mad.
but trela he ain't mad.
everyone is mad.

i'm bored.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
Let's do a little math here. Assuming everything is perfect and we buffer frames perfectly.

Alright, considering it takes 38 frames for Snake to UTilt and subtract from that our 27 frames to roll. Okay 11 frames, and 5 to grab/Jab, that's tight.

But wait! We actually have a couple more frames to Jab or Grab.

Let's just say Snake immediately spotdodges as we roll behind him.

If we attempt a grab... we have an additional frame to grab him, but if we saw him do that we could just Jab him, during his ending lag for his spotdodge, right?

If Snake does not spotdodge we have at least 4 additional frames to grab him because it takes at least 1 frame to turn around and 3 frames to use his Jab. His FTilt takes 4 frames to startup too.

If he does not spotdodge we have 9 frames to grab him assuming he's frame perfect.

If he does spotdodge we have 6 frames to grab him due to his spotdodge having invincibility starting on frame 2. You could just Jab if he does spotdodge though.

So... although small our frame advantage is humanly possible at least.
Uh, so.... you're talking about a scenario where you do a roll behind Snake on the exact frame Snake throws out an utilt, I guess.
Do you somehow not realize that's purely prediction and the risk/reward on getting predicted instead is ridiculously stacked against you?
Or hell, if you have the magical ability to know when Snake is going to utilt and instantly act, why wouldn't you just powershield instead?

Acton

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys!

I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Acton and I'm a falco main.

Lucario is one of the harder MU's for me personally and I'm trying to step it up. So I'm looking for any Lucario mains that want to play friendlies on wifi on a regular basis. Unfortunately I work full time so I'm usually on from 12am-4am est, plus the weekends.

I'm also looking for general tips on the Lucario Falco mu, like how I should approach this MU, whether or not Lucario uses any gimmicks to beat Falco etc.

My aim is xXAccalonXx, feel free to hit me up between 12am-4am est or leave a message for me on aim. I'm on the whole weekend!

Thanks!

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
First off thanks Phil for handing this over.

Okay guys, here's what we are gonna do.

Second of all, for each match-up we are going to discuss I'd like for people to vote on which character we want to discuss. We will officially discuss one or two of the top voted on. Try to keep your votes to no more than five characters each time.

One of us will poke that character board (if they allow it) to get their input on that MU.

We'll discuss stages, strategies, and all that good stuff that we're used to.

This time though we're going to be a bit more precise and for each discussion we will have Aura Sphere priority data, so you know when you beat a silly move (like G&W's BAir). Keep in mind that we also gain priority based on how much damage we have and our body box will outprioritize that move.

For example do you know when we beat an uncharged fresh Falco USmash with our FSmash?
165% same stock, fresh.
Remember, the 8% rule is your friend.

I also ask to whomever does that particular export to have the AS data in it as well.

Anyways, who should we discuss now?

I vote:
Snake

@Acton:
Camp as hard as you can until Luc gets within range that he can do something, use Jabs as a GTFO move and wisely. Retreating lasers are also ARGH. You can do 3 walking chaingrabs from 0%.

Don't take us to Japes because we live forever there. Ban Brinstar because that stage makes it difficult to pew pew.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
"We will officially discuss one or two of the top voted on. Try to keep your votes to no more than five characters each time."

Otherwise we get too many people to talk about and it gets too tedious >.>

Top Bottom