• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Knuckles the Enchilada
Knickles the Oompa-Loompa. He's red. He's got the Lego shoes. They help him find the Emerdoods.

Wow, Nintendo is hiring out of the US for their next hardware: https://nintendo.taleo.net/careersection/10000/jobdetail.ftl?job=140000005E&src=SNS-10380

A lot of technical jargon there but Nintendo going low-power again concerns me. Nobody cares about that outside Japan. I hope the GPU is up to snuff this time but....damnit Nintendo. At least your systems are always reliable.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=916426
Yeah, that's interesting to say the least. But I wouldn't really expect a new system until 2017 or so.

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Wow, Nintendo is hiring out of the US for their next hardware: https://nintendo.taleo.net/careersection/10000/jobdetail.ftl?job=140000005E&src=SNS-10380

A lot of technical jargon there but Nintendo going low-power again concerns me. Nobody cares about that outside Japan. I hope the GPU is up to snuff this time but....damnit Nintendo. At least your systems are always reliable.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=916426
I'm bad at reading tables like this, but the GameCube has more power than the Wii?

R0Y

Smash Master
I'm bad at reading tables like this, but the GameCube has more power than the Wii?
No, consumed more power though. Wii was pretty much an overclocked GameCube so it's not too surprising. Wii U is much more of a leap over Wii than Wii was over GC.

This just tells you the power consumption of every console. As you can see, the NA/JP launch PS3 was an absolute monster in 2006 with the 2005 launch 360's just behind. Which was more powerful is kind of fuzzy...apparently 360 had the better GPU but the PS3 the better CPU...PS3 was a nightmare to develop for though. Blu-ray when it first came out couldn't have helped the power requirements though.

And launch PS4's use more power than launch Xbox One's, which makes sense because they're very similar but the PS4 is more powerful. Literally almost the same CPU.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Anyone listen to Bulbamike's stuff? It's really good. He did a remix of the Rival theme Pokemon Black 2/White 2 in 8-Bit. It already sounded like a Mega Man theme before, but now it's uncanny.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
So I want to tell you guys a little story about Xenoblade and Shulk.

When I first heard of Xenoblade back in 2011, I just considered it to be some weird, niche JRPG, and I easily forgot about it. Later in 2011, however, Gamespot gave Xenoblade the Wii Game of the Year award, and I couldn't fathom how this random JRPG, that wasn't even released in North America at the time, could have beaten Skyward Sword, the premiere Wii game of 2011. I just dismissed Gamestop as awarding Xenoblade game of the year over Skyward Sword just as a way to NOT give Skyward Sword any recognition, since their review seemed pretty negative of it, compared to other media outlets. Fast forward to Operation Rainfall. I can't believe that so many people want Xenoblade to come over to North America, "why are people so crazed over this niche RPG?" I wondered. I finallly read a Wiki page on it, and b golly was I surprised that this was a first party Nintendo game. Still, I ignored it, until I listened to the Gaur Plains music. It was so good. I listened to the rest of the soundtrack, and knew that I was wrong about this game before, it really was something else. The game I hated for beating Skyward Sword in Gamespot's 2011 GOTY award was interesting me more and more. Finally, the game came to North America, and it recieved good reviews across the board. Then, ChuggaConroy came outta nowhere and told his fanbase of the all the games he's played ever, Xenoblade was his favorite game of all time. Then, I came to SmashBoards, where people were PUSHING ofr the main character, Shulk, to be in Smash Bros 4. I knew I had to get the game, even if it did cost 90$ (screw you gamestop). ANyways, here was the game that I dismissed back in 2011, lying in m y hands, ready to play. From the opening screen, I knew that this game was going to be epic, and I played through the whole game in a matter of days, awed by again its music, its world, and its characters. "Xenoblade is better than Skyward Sword", I chuckled in my head. Infact, it is one of my favoite games of all time too. Finally, in September of this year, Nintendo unveiled that Shulk would be a character in Smash Bros, and I just sat there, thinking how the main character of the game I once thought was some random, obscure, and uninteresting game was now starring as a Nintendo all star. Back in 2011, I WOULD HAVE NEVER imagined that Xenoblade would be in Smash. THe thought would't have even occurred. If someone asked, I would have probably answered "why the hell would such a random freaking JRPG be in Smash, it doesn't make sense!" Yet there Shulk was, standing n all his glory. As Shulk would say, I was "really feeling it", and had a good laugh about how things changed.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
So I want to tell you guys a little story about Xenoblade and Shulk.

When I first heard of Xenoblade back in 2011, I just considered it to be some weird, niche JRPG, and I easily forgot about it. Later in 2011, however, Gamespot gave Xenoblade the Wii Game of the Year award, and I couldn't fathom how this random JRPG, that wasn't even released in North America at the time, could have beaten Skyward Sword, the premiere Wii game of 2011. I just dismissed Gamestop as awarding Xenoblade game of the year over Skyward Sword just as a way to NOT give Skyward Sword any recognition, since their review seemed pretty negative of it, compared to other media outlets. Fast forward to Operation Rainfall. I can't believe that so many people want Xenoblade to come over to North America, "why are people so crazed over this niche RPG?" I wondered. I finallly read a Wiki page on it, and b golly was I surprised that this was a first party Nintendo game. Still, I ignored it, until I listened to the Gaur Plains music. It was so good. I listened to the rest of the soundtrack, and knew that I was wrong about this game before, it really was something else. The game I hated for beating Skyward Sword in Gamespot's 2011 GOTY award was interesting me more and more. Finally, the game came to North America, and it recieved good reviews across the board. Then, ChuggaConroy came outta nowhere and told his fanbase of the all the games he's played ever, Xenoblade was his favorite game of all time. Then, I came to SmashBoards, where people were PUSHING ofr the main character, Shulk, to be in Smash Bros 4. I knew I had to get the game, even if it did cost 90$ (screw you gamestop). ANyways, here was the game that I dismissed back in 2011, lying in m y hands, ready to play. From the opening screen, I knew that this game was going to be epic, and I played through the whole game in a matter of days, awed by again its music, its world, and its characters. "Xenoblade is better than Skyward Sword", I chuckled in my head. Infact, it is one of my favoite games of all time too. Finally, in September of this year, Nintendo unveiled that Shulk would be a character in Smash Bros, and I just sat there, thinking how the main character of the game I once thought was some random, obscure, and uninteresting game was now starring as a Nintendo all star. Back in 2011, I WOULD HAVE NEVER imagined that Xenoblade would be in Smash. THe thought would't have even occurred. If someone asked, I would have probably answered "why the hell would such a random freaking JRPG be in Smash, it doesn't make sense!" Yet there Shulk was, standing n all his glory. As Shulk would say, I was "really feeling it", and had a good laugh about how things changed.
/it's really funny the way things work, yeah. I know of a couple of games I can say that I once thought I hated that I now love.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni is basically cute girls and gruesome murders. The amount of mood whiplash... dear God.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
@ TewnLeenk TewnLeenk is gonna love the first number on that album.
I haven't clicked the link yet, but I see that it's music and Sonic related. So my guess is it's that awful ear pollution "Live and Learn".

EDIT: Nailed it. Also, that song still sucks.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
/it's really funny the way things work, yeah. I know of a couple of games I can say that I once thought I hated that I now love.
Do you want to learn something ironic?

Since I didn't know how RPG worked back then, when I was young, I hated pm64 :)

Today, I love it and I may replay it this weekend (will see but I may stream this).

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The Rival theme from Black 2 / White 2 is one of the best things ever.

Why do rival characters always get the cool stuff?

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Woo!!!!!
888 POSTS!
YEAH!
I made it!
Hooray!!!!!!
*ahem*
Anyway...
Do you want to learn something ironic?

Since I didn't know how RPG worked back then, when I was young, I hated pm64 :)

Today, I love it and I may replay it this weekend (will see but I may stream this).
When I was young (Like 8 or so) I hated both Pokemon and Zelda. They're now 2 of my top 5 favorite Video Game Series. Funny how things work. I started Pokemon with Red Rescue Team. It surprises most people to hear that I started Zelda with Spirit Tracks. Another game I didn't like at first was actually Smash Bros...
Then I played it.
You can imagine how that turned out.

---
Something I just want to mention is that whoever wrote the trophy descriptions in Smash 3ds always goes "... Anyway, "
just like me. COINCIDENCE!?

Yeah. It is.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Holy Crap. It's already 3:30 my time and I have a class soon. Guess this is what I get for sleeping past noon. :facepalm:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I used to hate Zelda as I couldn't understand how to play A Link to the Past. To be expected, as I had mostly only played Mario platformers at that time, and Duck Hunt.

I initially disliked Touhou because how hilariously difficult they are. Look at me now. :laugh:

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
New avatar time! Original character do not steal (I'm dead serious about this since he's my boy). By the way, does the pose look natural and had the right amount of foreshortening for a great action pose?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The Rival theme from Black 2 / White 2 is one of the best things ever.

Why do rival characters always get the cool stuff?
Well, the Rivals in X/Y and Black 1/ White 1 kind of got lame themes. At least compared to the others.

Also, you might like this theme done by the same guy.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I used to hate Zelda as I couldn't understand how to play A Link to the Past. To be expected, as I had mostly only played Mario platformers at that time, and Duck Hunt.

I initially disliked Touhou because how hilariously difficult they are. Look at me now. :laugh:
IT'S THE LORE MAN

THE LORE ALWAYS GETS YOU

Also, since my first experience with Touhou were the fighting games (specifically Immaterial and Missing Power), I just loved how overblown all of the spellcards were. :laugh: IaMP also gave me personalities of the characters, which made Marisa my favorite for a while.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
IT'S THE LORE MAN

THE LORE ALWAYS GETS YOU

Also, since my first experience with Touhou were the fighting games (specifically Immaterial and Missing Power), I just loved how overblown all of the spellcards were. :laugh: IaMP also gave me personalities of the characters, which made Marisa my favorite for a while.
I'm a total stranger to traditional fighters so I still find it near impossible to play IaMP. I just can't pull off those quarter circles and rapid button presses. I found it much easier into Scarlet Weather Rhapsody and Hisoutensoku though. I mostly play Meiling.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Do any of you guys use training mode much? Practise makes perfect.
If I ever feel like training against an opponent that doesn't really try to kill me, I usually just do a regular fight with a level 1 CPU.

Mostly because you can't properly pause in training. Though it doesn't matter much anymore thanks to the void.

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
I use training mode to remember what a final smash is.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well, the Rivals in X/Y and Black 1/ White 1 kind of got lame themes. At least compared to the others.

Also, you might like this theme done by the same guy.

8-bit Dark Pit''s Theme. Good stuff.

By the way, I wasn't referring exclusively to Pokémon rivals.

Guys like Meta Knight and Dark Pit count as they fit the character archetype.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
If I ever feel like training against an opponent that doesn't really try to kill me, I usually just do a regular fight with a level 1 CPU.

Mostly because you can't properly pause in training. Though it doesn't matter much anymore thanks to the void.
If you go into training mode on the Spirit Tracks stage and pause, you can spawn soccer balls on the tracks. Then MURDER.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I'm a total stranger to traditional fighters so I still find it near impossible to play IaMP. I just can't pull off those quarter circles and rapid button presses. I found it much easier into Scarlet Weather Rhapsody and Hisoutensoku though. I mostly play Meiling.
I can't do it, either, I just watched scenario playthroughs randomly in late summer last year. :laugh:

On another note, I just got a new piece of headgear while playing Classic with Doc. Can someone tell me why the Pirate Hat and the FANCY Pirate Hat are separate?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Woo!!!!!
888 POSTS!
YEAH!
I made it!
Hooray!!!!!!
*ahem*
Anyway...

When I was young (Like 8 or so) I hated both Pokemon and Zelda. They're now 2 of my top 5 favorite Video Game Series. Funny how things work. I started Pokemon with Red Rescue Team. It surprises most people to hear that I started Zelda with Spirit Tracks. Another game I didn't like at first was actually Smash Bros...
Then I played it.
You can imagine how that turned out.

---
Something I just want to mention is that whoever wrote the trophy descriptions in Smash 3ds always goes "... Anyway, "
just like me. COINCIDENCE!?

Yeah. It is.
Ok, I said it multiple time, but any Paper Mario fan should found weird how the trophy description seems to match the humour style of the series...

Like, I can talk about it for long walls of text, but the guy who wrote those text is the writer of the Mother series and he did wrote on earthbound. Thing is, from personal experience, TTYD and even pm64 retained a lot from earthbound, but I assume the Mother series too.

Check the spiny trophy description:

Somebody needs to ask Lakitu just where he gets these spiky-shelled little critters... They start off as Spiny Eggs when he hurls them and then turn into Spinies when they land. They'll immediately head for any fighters in the area. Avoid them or take them out—your choice!

Now, here's the tattle of the lakitu in TTYD:

That's a Lakitu.
<wait 250>
It's a member of the Koopa
clan that rides on clouds.
<k>
<p>
Max HP is 5, Attack is 2, and
Defense is 0.<wait 300> It attacks
by throwing Spiny Eggs.
<k>
<p>
If you stomp on it when it's
holding up a Spiny Egg, you'll
take damage, so DON'T do it!
<k>
<p>
Spiny Eggs slowly hatch into
Spinies, so beat the Lakitu
before fighting the Spinies.
<k>
<p>
Aw, this book doesn't answer
my real question:<wait 250> where does
it keep all those Spiny Eggs?

They referenced the same VGL joke and I'm sure it's not the only one in those trophies like this, but TTYD did that some time like hammer bros has a similar tattle joke. Also, Gombella does goes like "Anyway" oftenly mostly after a joke or negative remakrs (once, she even go crazy because of how descriptive an enemy name is :) ).

And of course, destroying 4th wall.

Like, honestly, I wonder why I seem to be the only one who noticed so much similarity between Mother and Paper Mario.

If you need more proof, play the ch 7-2 from spm and fight the underchomp.

Not enough? Ok, pm64 has a similar first turn mechanic except that instead of who touched at what postion between you and the enemy, it's who attack first.

If you're the one rare that is still sceptical at this point, then, this is my best evidence:

listen to this music for a full loop:

Now, please listen to this for a full loop:

Now, if you're even more doubtful, I asked someone and he answered with a more accurate and better explained verdict that basically says that they are indeed sounding similar:

http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-4-social-topic-2-0.347937/page-1961#post-17429338

Thanks to @Cap'nChreest for that post btw

Also with the last two songs. I was lazy so I just played them both at the same time. :awesome:

Same key. Same notes. Idk about tempo because I didn't try too hard hahaha. The main difference is the part that of the songs that seem to drop the melody or whatever. Can't think of a good word for it now but you know what I mean.
Like, as soon as a heard that the writer of Mother was writing the description, I immediately expected to see Paper mario humour similarity and indeed, that's what we got.

So, basically, if you love mother OR/AND Paper Mario text, you probably love ssb4 one and the same if you love ssb4 one, you probably will for Paper Mario and Mother.

Strange isn't it?

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Ok, I said it multiple time, but any Paper Mario fan should found weird how the trophy description seems to match the humour style of the series...

Like, I can talk about it for long walls of text, but the guy who wrote those text is the writer of the Mother series and he did wrote on earthbound. Thing is, from personal experience, TTYD and even pm64 retained a lot from earthbound, but I assume the Mother series too.

Check the spiny trophy description:

Somebody needs to ask Lakitu just where he gets these spiky-shelled little critters... They start off as Spiny Eggs when he hurls them and then turn into Spinies when they land. They'll immediately head for any fighters in the area. Avoid them or take them out—your choice!

Now, here's the tattle of the lakitu in TTYD:

That's a Lakitu.
<wait 250>
It's a member of the Koopa
clan that rides on clouds.
<k>
<p>
Max HP is 5, Attack is 2, and
Defense is 0.<wait 300> It attacks
by throwing Spiny Eggs.
<k>
<p>
If you stomp on it when it's
holding up a Spiny Egg, you'll
take damage, so DON'T do it!
<k>
<p>
Spiny Eggs slowly hatch into
Spinies, so beat the Lakitu
before fighting the Spinies.
<k>
<p>
Aw, this book doesn't answer
my real question:<wait 250> where does
it keep all those Spiny Eggs?

They referenced the same VGL joke and I'm sure it's not the only one in those trophies like this, but TTYD did that some time like hammer bros has a similar tattle joke. Also, Gombella does goes like "Anyway" oftenly mostly after a joke or negative remakrs (once, she even go crazy because of how descriptive an enemy name is :) ).

And of course, destroying 4th wall.

Like, honestly, I wonder why I seem to be the only one who noticed so much similarity between Mother and Paper Mario.

If you need more proof, play the ch 7-2 from spm and fight the underchomp.

Not enough? Ok, pm64 has a similar first turn mechanic except that instead of who touched at what postion between you and the enemy, it's who attack first.

If you're the one rare that is still sceptical at this point, then, this is my best evidence:

listen to this music for a full loop:

Now, please listen to this for a full loop:

Now, if you're even more doubtful, I asked someone and he answered with a more accurate and better explained verdict that basically says that they are indeed sounding similar:

http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-4-social-topic-2-0.347937/page-1961#post-17429338

Thanks to @Cap'nChreest for that post btw

Like, as soon as a heard that the writer of Mother was writing the description, I immediately expected to see Paper mario humour similarity and indeed, that's what we got.

So, basically, if you love mother OR/AND Paper Mario text, you probably love ssb4 one and the same if you love ssb4 one, you probably will for Paper Mario and Mother.

Strange isn't it?
Seriously. EVERYTIME I see, "Strange, isn't it?"
I always imagine the Sonic Movie.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
And then I lost to Master Core and the new headgear is gone.

Of course it is. Can't be that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom