• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 Backroom

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
So recently one of the members of your community approached me about putting together a Smash 64 backroom.

I have no objections on my end, in fact am all for it if it will benefit the 64 community. But I did want to let you guys weigh in first and hear your thoughts.

So questions.

Do you think having a backroom will seclude certain members from having serious and intelligent discussion they can participate in and hurt the overall 64 or provide a place and recognition for certain members to come up with more resources for this room and to aid the scene? IE, in your opinion will it help or hurt the 64 community at large?

Question 2. If you think the backroom is a good idea, please recommend the individual/s that you think would be best suited to run the usergroup and head the project (do not list more than 3 please).

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Yay recognition!

I'm for a backroom, in my opinion it shouldn't split up the community too much unless say like half the people in the community are allowed in and the other half aren't.

EDIT: (misread OP)
I elect to run it:
  • SuperBoom
  • Moogle

Battlecow

Play to Win
I'm for a Backroom as long as I get in. Otherwise, it's a horrible idea that would be the death of our community =p.

A$ for sure, Surri for maybe to head the project, as long as they don't feel that it would put too much on their already-modding plates. I can't think of who else would be a good choice atm.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I think a 64 backroom is a bad idea. It would be pretty unuseful for a game that has (at the moment) a pretty small community, and basically everyone knows each other here... and we are few who actually post. I find disgusting that some want their opinions to be more important than others and basically want to exclude everyone that has different opinions.
Just because you are a better player or something doesnt mean your opinion is more important than others. Every opinion matters as long as people use their brain.

Finally, I think what this SSB64 community needs is having an OWN SECTION at the main page, which (I suppose) is not a hard thing to do.

Oh and of course I would like to be in if its created, the same for everybody probably, as no one likes to feel their opinions less important than others.

MarioReincarnate

Smash Journeyman
I think a backroom is pointless unless a) it follows ssb64 getting a section like melee and brawl (aka not buried in a gaming) or b) it leads to ssb64 getting a section like melee and brawl (aka not buried in a gaming). Basically we are already a backroom, and splitting us up even more would not help the community. Given our own section, more people would notice and maybe then a backroom would make more sense.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I have no idea in what way we could use that backroom.

But if one is ever created I'd like to nominate the europeans Mahie, Dandan and Craiigg. I'd also be very interested to participate in it myself.

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
lol backroom is only a bad idea because people get their feelings hurt if they're not chosen

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I don't like the idea of a backroom in general. The whole point of internet forums imo is that everyone can give their opinion, but the backroom prevents that. Also, at the VERY least the backroom should be viewable by everyone, even if not everyone can post there.

I am 1000% for smash 64 getting its own section, even if the section only has the two forums.

sharksquail

Smash Ace
I am against the forming of a 64 backroom. It would just make some people who contribute to this already small section feel ****y for not being included.

I am 1000% for smash 64 getting its own section, even if the section only has the two forums.
^^^
Truth

mr yo

Smash Cadet
what is the exact purpose of a backroom?...its just diving the community ...a community that it is small enough....

if you do not want noobs, ore jurks to comment....make something similar where everybody can enter and see...but not everybody can write....you have to win the right to respond....just that......

whats the real point of a backroom?....just to say, "hey, we have a backroom know"....i dont think new things are going to happen for having a more "exclusive" place to post

think about it

L1ON

Smash Apprentice
Totally for a backroom. RAWR. But it really only would make us feel good at this point. Getting 64 its own section should be top priority. Then maybe we would have more forum-goers and then have good use for a backroom. I don't want to turn the backroom down though because 64 seems to have little light shed on it from the upper world and if we don't get it while we can we may never get it =/

But if we were to have a backroom, it would be a great benefit to us but only if the one leading it would promote healthy discussion.

I vote superboom just because he opened up talk about hyrule recently and it didn't just turn into a flame war (at least from my point of view) and I believe that was mostly because of the depth his original post contained. And he clearly knows his game.

But really any of the mods or any of the frequent posters who not only know a lot but are great players as well would work well.

RAWR L1ON hopes to see 64 move up in the world. It's sad that this is the largest smash 64 community and on a smash forum its so neglected =/

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I dont think there would be a division of members problem honestly.

If we get our own section and just have it as a group within it, it'll be the same as any other (general discussions, competitive events..etc).

I think it's like Lion said...it'll promote the growth of discussions like SuperBooms Hyrule thread

NixxxoN

Smash Master
If we get our own section and just have it as a group within it, it'll be the same as any other (general discussions, competitive events..etc).
Well, Brawl section has 9 parts or divisions plus the char discussion individual subforums and some more subforums, and Melee has 5 divisions plus the char and video subforums, so I dont get why a SSB64 section couldn't be smaller and just with the necessary ones.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
So recently one of the members of your community approached me about putting together a Smash 64 backroom.

I have no objections on my end, in fact am all for it if it will benefit the 64 community. But I did want to let you guys weigh in first and hear your thoughts.

So questions.

Do you think having a backroom will seclude certain members from having serious and intelligent discussion they can participate in and hurt the overall 64 or provide a place and recognition for certain members to come up with more resources for this room and to aid the scene? IE, in your opinion will it help or hurt the 64 community at large?

Question 2. If you think the backroom is a good idea, please recommend the individual/s that you think would be best suited to run the usergroup and head the project (do not list more than 3 please).
Before I answer the questions, I'd like to mention that before the backroom is put into consideration, I think smash 64 getting its own section is by far the most important thing to do. I like the idea of having a smash 64 backroom, though.

Q1: I think it will seclude certain members but i think it will provide a place and recognition for members to come up with ideas to aid the scene in the long run. I think it will help the 64 community just as long as the BRoom members communicate with the rest of the community what is going on and what's the current topic. Alternately, the BRoom members can have public polls where the rest of the community can discuss their feelings on certain topics. I think it's a good idea just as long the other members don't feel left out, you know? Keep everybody in the loop.

Q2: I honestly think the people who should head the project is Isai (malva00) and Superboomfan. They're both good players and in my opinion, are the most liked in the community.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
I think it is a good idea. Though some may be excluded, the discussions created there could be of some use to bettering the smash community.

I think
Frogles
Boomfan
and Malva should run in.

Hope I am included, I am a pretty active member of the community,

Battlecow

Play to Win
Really? I mean, don't get me wrong, those guys are teh bestest, and it was boom's idea (sorta), but I don't think they're quite "forum-y" enough for the job.

Also, our own section comes first and foremost, naturally; That should be our top priority by far.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Really? I mean, don't get me wrong, those guys are teh bestest, and it was boom's idea (sorta), but I don't think they're quite "forum-y" enough for the job.

Also, our own section comes first and foremost, naturally; That should be our top priority by far.
true. Upon thought i would revise my picks to:

Frog
A$
Boomfan

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I remember malva once saying that he visited the site multiple times a day, and with his vast wealth of knowledge on the game he should probably be allowed in - if there actually is a BRoom at all. Which at the moment looks dubious with all the people against it.

Battlecow

Play to Win
No, of course boom and frogles and Malva should be allowed in. Duh. I thought that was a response to the "who should run the thing" question in the OP.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
A backroom (advertised somehow on the homepage) would really raise the prestige of this section, and i'm 100% for the formation of one as long as the selection criteria are incredibly strict. Given the small community, maybe 4 or 5 members at the most would be a decent size.

What I'm worried about is the redundancy factor. Seeing as the metagame is fairly advanced (nothing new and amazing will come out to influence matchups, etc), I'd like to know what they'd discuss. Perhaps they'll come out with a tier list where Kirby is over Fox, or Link over Luigi, or some trivial inter-tier change like that. Maybe an updated ruleset or something? I just don't see it. It would by and large be an exercise in promotion of Smash 64's competitive validity.

Ignoring the second paragraph of nitpicking and tomfoolery (cuz you know backrooms hold daily groundbreaking conferences on the future of their respective games), a backroom would do what 64 needs most - attract a larger competitive crowd. The only thing that 64 lacks (that melee and brawl have) is a competitive scene, and 64 has arguably the best internet multiplayer to boot.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
If the SSB64 community was larger I would be all for it. The problem is the size of the community. I think it should have its own section, but maybe not a backroom.

Anyway, for backroom (If it is done) I vote for:
Cheeseball341
The Mods

That is all I can think of at the moment, sorry :ohwell:.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Peoples little personal feelings aside, it could both be a good and bad thing. Unless major ideas are brought forth for the community to put a thought in on from the back room for all to see. Until I could see who would be in the room, and would make mature decisions that are unbiased (hard for this specific part of the smash community) I'd have to say I'm undecided on this.

Robsta

Smash Ace
I think we need our own section more than a back room, regardless whether it's small or not.
However if this is the best we can get then I'm voting for:
Cheeseball341
malva00
Boom

DMoogle

A$
I don't think the backroom is a good idea. Our community isn't large enough to justify splitting it up. Sure, we may have a few dumb posters (NO NAMES HERE) that make dumb (strategy-wise, not spam-wise) comments here in there, but I really don't think it's such a problem that threads are getting cluttered, and certainly not such a problem so that we need a backroom to separate our community.

I'm absolutely 999% for Smash 64 getting its own section though.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
I think this is what JV had in mind, but we're currently voting for people who would be the leaders of the backroom who pretty much get the ball rolling on this thing. The normal members come later.

But, I could be wrong lol. =\

Anyways, on my previous post where I voted, I'd like to add cheeseball to the mix =p

EDIT: it's pretty much a given that the smash 64 community wants their own section. It's all in the hands of the MLG staff if they will give it to us.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
why the hell am i being nominated

im not even good at this game lol
You don't necessarily have to be good at the game to be in the backroom. From what I've seen from the other backrooms members, you can be really knowledgeable in the game that is pretty much well liked in the community but not that good at the actual game and can still be in the backroom.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
frog
Malva
Boomfan
A$
Maybe Jaime if he can show up on here (lololol)
Non-trolls.
Me..wut.
All Mods.
The main Euro members of the n64 smash discussion.

In all seriousness, but I am supporting everyone above, the people invited should be:

A. Major posters for the smash 64 forum who are still currently active
B. Non-trolls.
C. People who will actually post for the goodness of this forum.

Top Bottom