• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
If the men are perfect logicians, then one who doesn't have a cheating wife or have no wife at all will know of 40 other wives that cheat. Men who have cheating wives will know of 39 women that cheat. A husband cannot be told about his own wife, but he can ask a man without a wife the general question of, "how many women in town are cheating?" (the mayor was allowed to say 1 wife cheats, so I assume this is ok) The answer would be 40. Therefore a man who has 40 by his count as well knows his wife is clear. Any man whose count was 39 shoots his wife in the square at midnight.
QFT - kinda. I still think the mayor was only allowed to talk about his own wife though, and then there would be the men whose wives cheat on them who would respond 38, but that is correct, a person who can't find someone who will say there are forty cheating wives shoots his wife at midnight.

EDIT: Hylian's explanation is actually much stronger, better, and requires less communication.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
In case anyone was curious, I noticed that all the hint lines had ellipses. I took the lyrics from Bigfoot before and after and compiled them. Dunno what #1 is.

"(unknown?)

I was fighting but I just feel too tired to be fighting

Will we make a mark this time?

I can't stop itching at the thoughts of tarnished hope

We never talk of our lack in relationships And how we're guilt stricken sobbin' with our heads on the floor

Every drop of flame Lights a candle in Memory of the one Who lived inside my skin "

So, um, I guess, Pokemon Trainer, because I don't know and it's more fun to wait. All those who care about the song lyrics and stuff, here you go.

Bah posting in this forum hurts my head. >.<

infomon

Smash Scientist
sasuke: You're right about the summer thing, I think it was just a mistake on Hylian's part.

itsthebigfoot: The song details/information/lyrics/etc. stuff has already been figured out, look earlier in this thread. Yeah, it's been moving fast :o

Halloween: You entirely missed Hylian's point by trying to answer the riddles. Which is exactly what the riddles were suppoed to tell you, that you shouldn't be focussing on the details of the riddles. Lol.

Let me be more clear..... Why is Hylian giving a logic puzzle? He's doing it because he wants to tell us something about the hint this week. Rather than right-out saying it, he's showing us something analogous. A logic puzzle is analogous to the hint-of-the-week, because it is a hint where the details don't matter (like "omg June 1st" or "why do they shoot the wives instead of poisoning them"), but just the logic of the problem that matters. You don't solve a logic puzzle by taking anagrams of the words used. Similarly, you solve SamulaiPrada's hint by thinking about the meaning of what he has given us.

This week, Samulai gave us a small emo poem he put together by taking one-liner snippets from popular emo songs. Sort of like how Wario's games are put together by taking 5-second minigames and slamming them all together.

Alternatively, it's like how all the new Sonic games are criticized for being shoddy haphazard rehashes of ideas that were good in their original popular games. err, not quite....

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
sasuke: You're right about the summer thing, I think it was just a mistake on Hylian's part.

itsthebigfoot: The song details/information/lyrics/etc. stuff has already been figured out, look earlier in this thread. Yeah, it's been moving fast :o

Halloween: You entirely missed Hylian's point by trying to answer the riddles. Which is exactly what the riddles were suppoed to tell you, that you shouldn't be focussing on the details of the riddles. Lol.

Let me be more clear..... Why is Hylian giving a logic puzzle? He's doing it because he wants to tell us something about the hint this week. Rather than right-out saying it, he's showing us something analogous. A logic puzzle is analogous to the hint-of-the-week, because it is a hint where the details don't matter (like "omg June 1st" or "why do they shoot the wives instead of poisoning them"), but just the logic of the problem that matters. You don't solve a logic puzzle by taking anagrams of the words used. Similarly, you solve SamulaiPrada's hint by thinking about the meaning of what he has given us.

This week, Samulai gave us a small emo poem he put together by taking one-liner snippets from popular emo songs. Sort of like how Wario's games are put together by taking 5-second minigames and slamming them all together.

Alternatively, it's like how all the new Sonic games are criticized for being shoddy haphazard rehashes of ideas that were good in their original popular games. err, not quite....

Actually I'm just ****ing with you guys lol.

And I like giving logic puzzles :).

Seriously though here is an actual hint:

The next step lies inside the word.

I'm out.

FBM

Smash Apprentice
Again, this line of reasoning grows to fit the total number of unfaithful wives. The 40 men whose wives were unfaithful would have known about the other 39 and expected them to be shot on the 39th night. When they woke up on the morning after the 39th night only to find them going about their business in town, they would have realized that there must have been 40 unfaithful wives and knowing only of 39 would have concluded that theirs was also unfaithful and on the 40th night, taken her out to the town square and shot her along side the other 39 unfaithful wives.
Did you get this from somewhere? I might be missing something here, so I'll ask this:

The 40 men with a unfaithful wife will know of 39 unfaithful women. If they each see 39 unfaithful women the next morning, they will know that no one was killed the night before. Wouldn't this case perpetuate daily, with the 40 men continuing to see 39 unfaithful women around town? I don't see how the men expect there to be no women left on the 39th morning if they know no one has been killed each day (and they should... it's a small town!).

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
:D
Told ya its Peach.

OMG!!! GUYS!!!

"The next step lies inside the word."
Step??
Shoes??
Peach has shoes!!!
=)

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
lol i thought that too, but for yoshi.

naaaaaaaaaaa

infomon

Smash Scientist
Errrrgh.... mindgames.... >.< you know it's past 4am and I can't sleep cuz of this stupid hint? Yeah :(

Not only that, but the first half of the hint could easily come from a different narrator than the second, if you double check how its worded.
Yes, I mentioned this when I pointed out that the last three lines are all metaphors, like the metaphors that OS and Hylian were telling us. I figure this is a puzzle with multiple stages, and well, Hylian's new green hint (OMG GUYS IT'S GREEN) suggests this as well. I'm not sure how to take it.

"The next step lies inside the word."
Step??
Shoes??
Peach has shoes!!!
=)
Sonic sez: Come on, step it up!

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
the color is "lime"
the letters can be re-arranged to "mile", hence, in the word.
mile?distance?Sonic.
Also, sonics partner Tails "Miles"power.
its sonic. =)

jk its peach =P

EDIT:
WAIT!!!!
Sonic has shoes too!!! omg!!!
XD

no but seriously its peach

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Did you get this from somewhere? I might be missing something here, so I'll ask this:

The 40 men with a unfaithful wife will know of 39 unfaithful women. If they each see 39 unfaithful women the next morning, they will know that no one was killed the night before. Wouldn't this case perpetuate daily, with the 40 men continuing to see 39 unfaithful women around town? I don't see how the men expect there to be no women left on the 39th morning if they know no one has been killed each day (and they should... it's a small town!).
Come on man, this is easy :).

The first night no one gets killed because they only take their own wifes out and shoot them. They know there are 39 other unfaithful wifes, but when they see them all alive it can only mean that there are in fact 40. Which would mean that their own wife was unfaithful. The night everyone realizes this is the night they all take their wifes out and shoot them. So the situation where everyone sees 39 women not dead only happens once.

FBM

Smash Apprentice
I believe that even if this was multiple stages, you might need to start at Super Mario Sunshine to get anywhere.
I feel like your Sunshine and my Ness arguments are both flawed in the same way: we look at each line and relate it to a different aspect of our subject. OS's microscope/moon analogy makes me think that reading the thing as a whole should make it obvious, not dissecting each line.

FBM

Smash Apprentice
Come on man, this is easy :).

The first night no one gets killed because they only take their own wifes out and shoot them. They know there are 39 other unfaithful wifes, but when they see them all alive it can only mean that there are in fact 40. Which would mean that their own wife was unfaithful. The night everyone realizes this is the night they all take their wifes out and shoot them. So the situation where everyone sees 39 women not dead only happens once.
So there are only 40 married women in town, total?

Because if there are more, one husband would see 39 unfaithful women and another would see 40 and after no one dies on the first night everyone would shoot their wife the second night because they have no idea how many unfaithful women there are total.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I believe that even if this was multiple stages, you might need to start at Super Mario Sunshine to get anywhere.
Quite possibly. I'm not convinced by your FLUDD arguments though, I mean I had already stated before that the "wash our hands of all this" and the song "shadow of the sun" could refer to sunshine. I think "bolted" = the FLUDD bolts is pushing it too far. Sunshine only fits as well as the other mario game references, like the song title "A Bad Dream" being a reference to Mario 2. I was convinced it all pointed to Mario for a while, but I think this was analyzing the hint incorrectly; as the new OS+Hylian hints seem to indicate a more compelling direction.

The hint is an emo poem built of quotes from emo song lyrics. Should we build an emo one-liner out of quotes from the emo poem hint?? Alternatively, the hint uses metaphors and figures of speech to convey its meaning; is the hint itself a metaphor for the character? Hrrrrrrrmmm.....

The next step lies inside the word. I wonder........

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
So there are only 40 married women in town, total?

Because if there are more, one husband would see 39 unfaithful women and another would see 40 and after no one dies on the first night everyone would shoot their wife the second night because they have no idea how many unfaithful women there are total.
Did you not read the part where I said every man knows of the activities of all the other woman?

FBM

Smash Apprentice
Did you not read the part where I said every man knows of the activities of all the other woman?
Sorry, I'm probably missing something; I'll try and break it down one last time:

Let's say:

100 wives/husbands
40 unfaithful wives
40 men know of 39 unfaithful wives
60 men know of 40 unfaithful wives

Night 1: nothing happens

Night 2:

> the 40 men who know of 39 unfaithful wives realize they must have an unfaithful wife if no one was killed

> what do the 60 men who know of 40 unfaithful wives think? Why is their own wife not a suspect after the first night?

[the 60 men could just wait until the next day to see all the unfaithful wives dead, but then why didn't the 40 men wait the extra day just in case too?]

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Sorry, I'm probably missing something; I'll try and break it down one last time:

Let's say:

100 wives/husbands
40 unfaithful wives
40 men know of 39 unfaithful wives
60 men know of 40 unfaithful wives

Night 1: nothing happens

Night 2:

> the 40 men who know of 39 unfaithful wives realize they must have an unfaithful wife if no one was killed

> what do the 60 men who know of 40 unfaithful wives think? Why is their own wife not a suspect after the first night?

[the 60 men could just wait until the next day to see all the unfaithful wives dead, but then why didn't the 40 men wait the extra day just in case too?]
I feel dumb.

Gahhhh.

Gah.

You win lol.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
This was a therapeutic chain of events...
Guess I’m not the fighting kind...
...Will we always say we tried?
And I’ve lost all doubt in a chemical romance...
We tried to wash our hands of all of this...
Doors inside my head, bolted from within...
It is undoubtedly Olimar.

"This was a therapeutic chain of events..."
Pikmin Chain

"Guess I’m not the fighting kind..."
Most of Olimar's moves revolve the use of his pikmin.

"...Will we always say we tried?"
Pikmin chain upbs and misses edge because of edgeguard?
Pikmin when thrown may latch but do no damage, then killed?

"And I’ve lost all doubt in a chemical romance..."
Erm, the band My Chemical Romance has 5 members, 5 pikmin types? lol

"We tried to wash our hands of all of this..."
No clue

"Doors inside my head, bolted from within..."
His helmet is the door.

There are 6 lines. Olimar can have 6 pikmin in a LINE.

The first two along with there being 6 lines has me convinced enough. I would be incredibly shocked if it wasn't him. Theres no one else who fits more perfectly. I'm sure every line has a meaning, I just can't think of the reasonings behind them.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
I get that feeling as well, but the method used to reach that conclusion also lead me to believe that it's Ness:

(check a few posts down here)

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162420&page=588

Overswarm hinted that our method is too specific; we need to treat the piece as one whole clue, not 6 little clues.
Perhaps, that seems pretty logical as well. It's most likely one of the two then (Ness or Olimar) just depends on how were supposed to look at the clue. But from what Overswarm said, I might be waaaay off about Olimar.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The next step lies inside the word.
None of you are finished yet.

FBM

Smash Apprentice
This was a therapeutic chain of events...
Guess I’m not the fighting kind...
...Will we always say we tried?
And I’ve lost all doubt in a chemical romance...
We tried to wash our hands of all of this...
Doors inside my head, bolted from within...

I'm gonna do a quick pronoun replacement on this:

Something was a therapeutic chain of events...
Guess the speaker was not the fighting kind...
...Will he and his group always say they tried?
And the speaker has lost all doubt in a chemical romance...
He and his group tried to wash their hands of all of the chain of events
Doors inside his head, bolted from within...

So what needs to be identified:

> the speaker
> the thing that was a chain of events
> the speaker's group

Right now my guess is Panda is the speaker, the chain of events is this thread (and the hints) and the speaker's group is the BRoom, but then what does that mean???!??!?!?!?!

EDIT - I'm off for the night - nice bouncing ideas around with you guys.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord

And I like giving logic puzzles :)
told you it had nothing to do with the hint

EDIT: The word is going to be something dumb like
"the word"
lime
song
logic
puzzle
step

too tired for it, but here's a logic problem for all you

You're driving a bus, after about 20 minutes you stop and pick up 13 people, after another 20 minutes you stop and pick up another 35 people, after another 20 minutes, the bus turns into a submarine, flies into the sky, and explodes

what color was the bus driver's shirt?

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
told you it had nothing to do with the hint

EDIT: The word is going to be something dumb like
"the word"
lime
song
logic
puzzle
step

too tired for it, but here's a logic problem for all you

You're driving a bus, after about 20 minutes you stop and pick up 13 people, after another 20 minutes you stop and pick up another 35 people, after another 20 minutes, the bus turns into a submarine, flies into the sky, and explodes

red?

idk about the hint,inside the word.....hmm what word?or words?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
step in the word? idk...cryptic stuff. You should make a Esoteric Back Room for SP, OS and Hylian....

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Wait, no. What happens is on night one, every man who knows of 39 unfaithful women shoots their wives.

There would be no waiting around to see who did what. If there are 40 unfaithful, and you know of 39, automatically your wife is cheating, and you shoot her. End of story.

Also, the word "inside" is in this clue guys. Whats inside the word? What part of that line has a word that's ambiguous.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
*sighs*

watch the clue be, like, for Wario or something.

I'm still not at all impressed with what happened last week, and I'm still trying to figure out what 2:44 of that rollin vid has to do with DK.... oh well.

BTW, I still think it's Peach, but it's probably Zero Suit Samus. This "poem" sounds like something dealing with Zamus and Snake... and it sounds like it has to do with Metroid.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace

Dont remember what shirt i was wearing that day.

;)

Sorry, i had to answer this, i love em.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Guys guys GUYS.

What's 1 + 1?

Do you just throw out random numbers to find the answer? -_^

Follow the bread crumbs.
Wait...

Follow the bread crumbs...

...I think there may be a meaning to that.

Oh hey what are these little dots I'm leaving behind...

...Wait, what did I just say. : O
I guess its about time I explain my theory for the people who didn't catch my sarcasm. *cough*everyone*cough*

OS is hinting that we need to follow a trail in order to lead us to figuring out who the character is. In other words, there are actually hints that will lead us to the real hint. In other other words, the 6 lines Panda posted are not the actual hint. And basing your answer off of those lines would be incorrect.

What you need to do is use the "current" hint as a hint to find the real hint...

...But how do you do that, you ask?

...Well, I'm showing you right now.

Breadcrumbs.
Little pieces, little dots, one could say, that are left in a trail to lead us somewhere...Look at the hint. This has been said countless times before, but look at the dots trailing behind and in front of the hint. Dots? Breadcrumbs? What we need to do is follow those lyrics to the real hint. And I feel a little redundant repeating myself (and the words of others) like this, but its only because people have been throwing this answer off as just another theory.

However, it is the only theory that makes logical sense. Riddle me this: why would Panda put ellipsis at the end of each line? Why would he put those ellipsis before one of the lines, but after for all the rest? It makes little sense, unless it was placed purposefully to lead us to the real hint. (Or its just a mindgame) Comments from the SBR prove this.

Follow the breadcrumbs.

None of you are finished yet.

All point to the fact that we still have somewhere to go before we can actually start solving the hint.

So get to following them breadcrumbs, people.

------

Btw, is everyone sure that those lyrics could not possibly come from another song? That those are the only songs that have those lyrics?

Top Bottom