• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Brawl UK Social Thread

For those of you who have experienced the Battle Tower:

I was messing around with teams, So I decided to take Weavile, Charizard and Blissey in with me. I come across this Relicanth who dodged two FBs from Zard then took him out (Weavile had died to something else at this point) and unfortunatly for me, it was Blissey v Relicanth. I went into a stall war with it for about 20 minutes solid, eventually forcing it to use struggle (It was the yawn/rest/atail/rslide set) then eventually taking it out. His next pokemon...... Hitmonlee with High Jump Kick.

Tears were shed.

I'm sure Rake or Slurpz can sympathise with me here.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
Bahahaha. I can imagine that. After finally taking out that Relicanth you must have had your biggest victory face on. And Hitmonlee must have had his biggest trollface on.

*sigh*, I REALLY miss playing Pokemon... I might start a new game on Emerald or something... Shoddy just doesn't do it for me these days.

The_Rake

Smash Lord
For those of you who have experienced the Battle Tower:

I was messing around with teams, So I decided to take Weavile, Charizard and Blissey in with me. I come across this Relicanth who dodged two FBs from Zard then took him out (Weavile had died to something else at this point) and unfortunatly for me, it was Blissey v Relicanth. I went into a stall war with it for about 20 minutes solid, eventually forcing it to use struggle (It was the yawn/rest/atail/rslide set) then eventually taking it out. His next pokemon...... Hitmonlee with High Jump Kick.

Tears were shed.

I'm sure Rake or Slurpz can sympathise with me here.
was it worse than the moltres/ampharos cp?

also gp ill mm your ike with pt
i use him in low tiers. my squirtles half decent, the burden and zard could be better though :p

K.Mac

Smash Lord
How dare you call MANvysaur a she? Get vine whipped.
Whilst there's no actual discernible proof either way, for some reason (the majority of) the smash community has adopted the belief that Ivysaur is in fact female.

I was also expecting someone to bring this up the instant I hit submit on that other post. I was like "Wait, Ivysaur's a she, isn't it? I'm gonna get responses XD!"

And @ KJ: I think a part of me just died inside. :/

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Bahahaha. I can imagine that. After finally taking out that Relicanth you must have had your biggest victory face on. And Hitmonlee must have had his biggest trollface on.

*sigh*, I REALLY miss playing Pokemon... I might start a new game on Emerald or something... Shoddy just doesn't do it for me these days.
i to ocan sympathise, ive fashioned my ingame team to work well with only 3 of them (lanturn, mangeton, dragonite) only to come across a shedinja in the last game...and i couldnt damage it TT_TT

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.

3rd gen is THE BEST

(not played 5th yet)

He did. I actually said just before the pokemon comes out "He'll have a Hitmontop". When I saw "Hitmon" in it's name, I was like NO WAYYYYYY. Was soo close to having psychic powers D:.

Third gen is just painfully bad. That's one of the reasons it took me until fourth gen to take pokemon seriously. I can't stand having Thunder punch as a special move and Shadow Ball as a physical

was it worse than the moltres/ampharos cp?
Yes. This match was just painful.

Whilst there's no actual discernible proof either way, for some reason (the majority of) the smash community has adopted the belief that Ivysaur is in fact female.
I seriously cannot be asked to say why she's actually female. I think bulbapedia has the answer or something =_=.

damn kj.. just.. damn.. least you havnt been swept by a dunsparce :(
Oh dear... did it have glare or something?

B.Mack

Smash Ace
to be fair KJ has a point about thunderpunch being special and shadow ball being physical... that sucked. Ah well, I 've been able to get into 4th gen and enjoy it.. but now 5th gen came out just as I mastered 4th gen ffs. I need some roms for BnW.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
Alex meant pokemon matches that last 150 rounds long. one round being one attack by each pokemon. presumably due to the prevalence of skarmbliss

Heartstring

Smash Legend
if we're on about gens, i have to say 4th because its the first one in which ive actually bought the damned game, other times ive been massively far behind with my thieved version of the games
also i never complted a gen 3 game, go figure

Jolteon

lol water types, what about dragons and ghosts? 4 of each in generation 2. was like 3 times that abount of dragons in 3rd and at least double ghosts

@alex
what? :S make sense man
I'm saying that 2nd gen mechanics are beyond ********.

Jolteon

haha, too defensive?
to be honest i would prefer that over everything being revenge killed be each other which appears to be the popular ideals behind gen 5
It was literally just a war of attrition, the fact that all the sweepers (even powerhouses like marowak etc) had defensively oriented movesets with the stats to support them shows that.

Sleep talk was really ******** and just allowed rest to work as normal (rather than wasting a turn), add in heal bell bliss in a game where she's even more difficult to kill, and add that onto the fact that everyone has maximised defenses/hp (due to the stat exp system) along with spikes having a maximum of one layer it just made the matches really long. Also, it had less skarmbliss counters, awesome.

Honestly though, saying all that, it's still a really good battle system that takes a lot of skill to play, it's just very tedious and at times, dull... lol.

Gen 1 and gen 3 had a really good defensive/offensive mix imo, but gen 1 is really buggy/luck based and like 3+ pokemon from your team are guaranteed to be paralysed for most of the match. oh, and if chansey was frozen it was an easy sweep.

My experience with gen 4 is very limited. From the tournament I entered at the beginning of gen 4, I was very surprised with the extreme amount of supper-offensive options added to the game, I abused this when I realised that it was very easy to just bide your time and completely turn the match around in your favour in quite literally a single turn. Apart from that though I don't have any experience with it, maybe Plat/HGSS added more defensive stuff to it?

No it's still a primarily offensive game. You can have defensive teams obviously, but in comparison to something from 2nd gen, it's really just not the same.

The_Rake

Smash Lord
Alex meant pokemon matches that last 150 rounds long. one round being one attack by each pokemon. presumably due to the prevalence of skarmbliss
meh, i was basing my opinon on which gen i really loved in my first playthrough and which had my fav pokemon in it.

2nd had ttar, scizor and kingdra =]

Heartstring

Smash Legend
meh, i was basing my opinon on which gen i really loved in my first playthrough and which had my fav pokemon in it.

2nd had ttar, scizor and kingdra =]
ttar was still good, but no abilities in gen 2 meant no technician scizor and no swift swim kingdra

The_Rake

Smash Lord
so what?

when third gen first came out i was so pissed off that i couldnt get any of the beloved pokemon i used in gen 2, hell a lot of my gen 1 favs wern't available either. I had to wait till colosseum to finally get my ttar, which is the ancestor of my current soul silver ttar (i say ancestor because i have bred many, many ttars). Was the same thing with a dnite that my friend hacked for me (gave me lvl2 dratini) and that now is the ancestor to my current dnite.
3rd gen seemed amazing at first until people realised that
1) you couldnt get your older pokemon (ok, they revamped stats/iv and all that but still, people were annoyed)
2) you had to get get other games to get legit versions of your old favourites. (i dont mean like getting silver when you already had gold, thats practically the same game with minor differences, I mean getting a completely different game altogether)

Ok fine, these problems were present in gen 4 but not as bad as the @$$ rapage that gen 3 gave us.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
yeah, i didnt like gen 3 either, however if-like you-were talking the actual pokemon. then its gen 1 hands down for me

The_Rake

Smash Lord
yeah, i didnt like gen 3 either, however if-like you-were talking the actual pokemon. then its gen 1 hands down for me
oh yea nothing beat that first time you turned on red/blue. i remember exactly where i was sitting, what i had out. was looking in the booklet, it had a walkthrough up to pewter city inside it.
was so ****tastic...

Jolteon

I was talking battle system wise x_x

for in-game, 1st gen probably wins it for me.

@KJ: lol, fair enough.

Jolteon

the HGSS remake was really well done, I found the expanded kanto made it a lot more enjoyable. =) definitely one of the better in-game experiences I've had.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
oh yea nothing beat that first time you turned on red/blue. i remember exactly where i was sitting, what i had out. was looking in the booklet, it had a walkthrough up to pewter city inside it.
was so ****tastic...
well i just meant the generation where my favourite pokemon were made. and seeing as my favourites are magneton, dugtrio, haunter and recently taken a liking to tentacruel, the only pokemons outside of gen 1 that i like are lanturn and shuckle. both gen 2 XD
hg was the first one i really got into though

The_Rake

Smash Lord
Meh, 1st had a couple of favs. Charizard, dragonite and electabuzz. Taken a recent liking to zapdos (frank zappa :p). 2nd just stepped it up in my opinion. I liked 3rd for the number of dragons in it. I had a team of dragons when it came out (mence, flygon, altaria, latios) but those dragons seemed to weaken the idea that dragons had overpowered stats (looking at you altaria), flygon being an exception because of its double type resistance.

Also 3rd gen adding double battles was pro but they seriously sucked against A.I. 1 pokemon each....was piss easy. didnt become any good till colosseum came out

Because 2 was my fav gen ss is my fav game. sound confusing? I'll explain. The extra additions from 4th gen added to the amazingness of 2nd gen just complemented each other. because its a remake, a lot of the pokemon you get are the same as the 2nd gen ones, has a lot of the events from 2nd gen still there (kimono girls changed slightly) but you get the double battles, pokeathalon, safari zone (yay, early larvitar) and other added things. also you can get a lvl1 giratina/palkia/dialga =]

Top Bottom