• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I still can't get over how Greninja has Substitution Jutsu I mean Substitute.
They used the little doll and everything! And look at the detail!

Edit: Also, I know a lot of people were rooting for Nook, but at least he's participating in the game and not just in the background.

Last edited:

MrBond

Smash Cadet
Look at it this way, if both games were going to release at the same time in let's say...fall or winter, we'd have to wait until then for more/the rest of the character reveals.

When we get our mitts on the 3DS version, we'll see what the full roster is after playing around with it (since both versions have the same roster) as opposed to waiting longer for a dual version release.

SeatreasureReturned

Smash Apprentice
There was a lot of great information in there that I am really grateful for.
But I am kind of perturbed by the lack of Mother anything in the whole entire direct. It is looking less and less like Lucas will be in the game, because I don't see having two Mother boys be unlockable. (I will be devastated if that is the case!) I think every other franchise from previous installments have at least something now. I hope the Mother series doesn't get shortchanged too much. Even if the representation was exactly what it had in Brawl I would be happy.

Please don't cut Lucas!

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Jigglypuff and Mewtwo? Curious how you draw that.
Both characters remain some of the series' staple mascots. With Pokémon Trainer disbanded, that leaves their spots 'open' should Sakurai wish to retain the same amount of Pokémon as in Brawl. Remember, Sakurai counted each Pokémon as its own character, which gave us six Pokémon for Brawl. Bringing back both Jigglypuff and Mewtwo would leave us with the six Pokémon for Smash 4: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Charizard, Lucario and Greninja. That's not even to say there couldn't be another Pokémon in addition to all of them, we really have no idea considering how much Sakurai is changing the mold with these games. What I do know is its premature to start labeling Jigglypuff and Mewtwo anywhere close to being disconfirmed. We're not talking about Ridley here.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Poor Olimar. One of my faves was really (apparently at least) nerfed. His up B is so cool though!

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
So, I haven't been a Ridley supporter (and I don't think he should be playable)

... But I don't think he's deconfirmed... The shadow reveal was really sketchy, and it didn't move like a boss/stage hazard.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Positives for me about the Direct:

- Every single thing about the new online play.
- The customization, like with the specials.
- Final Destination Stage and other returning stages that look awesome, along with the ability to have other stages like FD.
- No more character transformations. I wanted this and have been saying this since the beginning, how awesome it would be for Zelda to be her own character, with the Phantom being her down special, and it's true. :D So happy about that. This does deconfirm Pokemon Trainer, and I am sorry to the fans, but this I was hoping for.
- Veteran Reveals: Happy (yet not surprised) about Yoshi, and thrilled about Zero Suit Samus. She looks amazing in HD and looks so buffed. She is gonna be high on the tier list I think. When he said "just kidding" about her not being included, I was so relieved. Sheik I did not really want in the game mainly because I didn't want people to keep saying she is the better half of Zelda, but now that she is in her own character slot, I am completely fine with her inclusion, and it makes me happy for the Sheik fans. Charizard was probably my least favorite of the 3 Pokemon from Pokemon Trainer, I would have preferred Ivysaur or Squirtle, but I am still happy about his inclusion and his trailer was really cool too.
- Newcomer Reveal: Greninja. I never heard of him/her at all, but excited none the less. 4 Pokemon slots already though, wondering what is to become of Jigglypuff and Mewtwo. Hoping for both, but we may only get one.

Negatives for me about the Direct:

- The Wii U release. The Wii U version is the one I am getting, so disappointed it is coming out in Winter, due to my impatience. :( The 3DS coming in Summer though I did not expect, and I am going to end up spoiling everything for myself and getting majorly hyped about the roster.
- Deconfirmations. A lot of Assist Trophies and Pokeballs and such revealed. Eevee I would have liked to see playable, honestly, as well as Lyn, and maybe Midna. However, I didn't see them happening anyway, so I can't be too disappointed. I am happy that Mewtwo wasn't shown as a Pokeball. Also, Pit's final smash changed, we have a Palutena stage, and the trophy was a Pseudo Palutena trophy. I am betting on Palutena still, and for her reveal to be at E3. I am not even gonna comment on the Ridley thing, I just, I don't even know.....
- Pit's glide being removed. I used that a lot for attacks and recovery, although it looks like his new up special has much improved.

Overall, amazing direct, and can't wait to watch it again. I am still so hyped.

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Jigglypuff and Mewtwo? Curious how you draw that.
Jigglypuff's status is still fairly strong because of her veteran card, but it also shows the Sakurai really has no problem with bringin New Pokemon playable characters in.

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Likely Mewtwo
Lucario
Charizard
Possibly Squirtle
Possibly Ivysaur (the two can get a Sheik/Zamus treatment like Char is getting for all we know)
and Now Greninja

8 in total and so far we already have 4 Pokemon characters.

Zorfendor

Smash Cadet
Hey guys. Note the fine print from the description of this photo from the official Smash Facebook page.

Attachments

D

Deleted member

Here's the most you can see of 'Ridley' in the direct. I have faith after the Palutena troll.
I have faith after the Zamus troll.
Let's look the facts, shall we:
-D.Samus deconfirmed
-A lot of Pyrosphere footage
-Trolling
-Only his shadow appears
-He didn't specified how the "boss characters" would appear
There's still hope(also, Isaac wasn't shown as AT, YES!)

juddy96

Smash Lord
This is the right move releasing the 3DS first. They know that the 3DS version wouldn't have gotten as many buys if it came out at same time or later than Wii U. People will still buy the Wii U and the game as Christmas presents.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I for one welcome our new Greninja overlords.

You know what I'm really happy about?

No issac assist trophy was shown.

There is hope.
Exactly, I was freaking OUT when they showed off assist trophies. Methinks Isaac is a secret character... I would assume they'd shown him off as an assist. But then again, he was an unlockable assist trophy. So I don't know what to think.

I'm just livid about the whole no Sheik into Zelda thing.

I am PRAYING that with the "custom movesets" you have the option. I mean, I get he wants to make the fighters stand out on their own... but that's how Zelda was introduced to me and I loved her because of it. Or it'll be a taunt. Or DLC. Something. ANYTHING.

andimidna

Smash Master
This game could be something so, so, so much more with workshop. This is just lame compared to hacked brawl. Something that is new and amazing is HD/3D and that's it. Midna deconfirmed and I've already been playing with a perfectly hacked Midna for months and I will keep doing that, have fun with your wii fir trainers, animal crossings and superboxers.
At least Sakurai made Kid Icarus... it does make up for the waste of potential in Smash Bros.
Midna hack?
Please...
Please... Gimme...

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
Don´t be dramatic....Smash Wii U gonna be the final version, who gonna play a serious fighting game on 3DS!! Let´s play melee and relax!
Half the kids whose parents can't afford to buy them both versions. Having a version available beforehand on portable sure as hell isn't going to encourage anybody to invest in a Wii U and the SSB - god only knows what Nintendo are thinking. Extremely disappointing news, and very sad to see that Nintendo are neglecting the home console once again. If they knew the Wii U release was going to take longer, why would they not just delay both until that date as not to detriment the game as a Wii U system seller? Senseless.

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
Warning Received
Are you kidding me? The disconfirmation of Ridley outweighs every possible pro, the game could ship with 100+ characters and no Ridley would still make it suck, Smash 4 will indeed be the worst Smash by far, even how awesome Greninja is...
This is the stupidest post I've ever seen posted on the internet probably ever.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Ridley was only second in importance to Megaman for Smash4, so yes, the game's ruined.

The Wii U version won't sell, Sakurai took out THE MAIN CHARACTER OF POKEMON, we got a disconfirmation of the most important remaining Nintendo All-Star but got an unimportant character as a newcomer, the soundtrack sounds like it sucks, Palutena's Temple sucks, PYROSPHERE sucks hard, the new items suck horribly, Rosalina's FS isn't the black hole, Pit's FS isn't the Great Sacred Treasure.

The amazing FSes of Kirby and Megaman are not enough to make up for the load of **** that this Direct was, Smash 4 is going to be one of the worst games of videogame history because Sakurai refused to listen to reason, EVEN IF RIDLEY was really playable after all, that wouldn't make up for him playing a twisted game with the fans' expectations, no game modes, no Final Smash, no music, no awesome fanservice, NOTHING, EVER, EVER, NOTHING WILL MAKE UP FOR THIS, NOTHING! SMASH4 SUCKS AND SAKURAI SUCKS! I just hope that tendinitis hurries up so he can't touch another game ever.
Dude, you seriously need to take a chill pill. I understand you're disappointed, but right now you're just acting ridiculous.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
LMAO

D-idara = owned
Diddy kong = owned
Anti competitives = owned
Taunt partiers = owned
TRANSFORMATIONS are no more
RIDLEY IS OUTTTTTT
IMPA IS OUT
SHEIK IS BACK
RIP in peace pokemon trainer
FINAL DESTINATION, NO ITEMS, 20XX MODE! FOR GLORY!
AWFUL CHARACTER CHOICES ALL AROUND! YESSSS

Want Ridley and Mewtwo? Support Project M LOL!

I wasn't planning on getting this game, but I just might now!

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
My heart was pounding during the AT segment "please no Isaac. Please no Isaac"

... Now I'm just hoping he's not completely out of the game, but Lyn was in there so idk...

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Wow... The cons: Ridley 99% deconfirmed, a sucky newcomer (HONESTLY...GRENINJA?!), and the fact that K. ROOL AND ANYTHING TO DO WITH MOTHER IS COMPLETELY ABSENT!!!!

Pros: Everything else! XD

LightningVance

Smash Apprentice
I was stoked the entire direct, and I kept waiting for my main to shop up in HD, then the Pokemon section at the end came on and I was thinking ooh man Pokemon newcomer... then I saw Charizard on its own and my heart dropped. Out of all the Trainer's Pokemon, I used it the least and reeeally wanted Squirtle back.

Greninja... I don't hate it... but... it just seems like the flavour of the month character... guess we'll see in time.

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
FOR GLORY
Ridley was only second in importance to Megaman for Smash4, so yes, the game's ruined.

The Wii U version won't sell, Sakurai took out THE MAIN CHARACTER OF POKEMON, we got a disconfirmation of the most important remaining Nintendo All-Star but got an unimportant character as a newcomer, the soundtrack sounds like it sucks, Palutena's Temple sucks, PYROSPHERE sucks hard, the new items suck horribly, Rosalina's FS isn't the black hole, Pit's FS isn't the Great Sacred Treasure.

The amazing FSes of Kirby and Megaman are not enough to make up for the load of **** that this Direct was, Smash 4 is going to be one of the worst games of videogame history because Sakurai refused to listen to reason, EVEN IF RIDLEY was really playable after all, that wouldn't make up for him playing a twisted game with the fans' expectations, no game modes, no Final Smash, no music, no awesome fanservice, NOTHING, EVER, EVER, NOTHING WILL MAKE UP FOR THIS, NOTHING! SMASH4 SUCKS AND SAKURAI SUCKS! I just hope that tendinitis hurries up so he can't touch another game ever.
lol this guy..

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice

Pokemon Trainer is just a player avatar, and only for 5 games, including two remakes. Pikachu is much more the main character than the Trainer. I'll miss Squirtle, but he wasn't even close to my main.

Stop with your *****ing and moaning. It's annoying.
Also:
I just hope that tendinitis hurries up so he can't touch another game ever.
I just want you to know that you disgust me. You were annoying before, but now it's too much.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Okay I changed my mind I am gonna say something about Ridley thing. That was really trollish (that's now a word) for Sakurai to do, but only his shadow was shown, which still makes me a bit skeptical. He could be just tricking us, and just isn't ready to show Ridley yet, saving him for E3 or him being a secret unlockable. I don't know, but I don't find him 100% deconfirmed.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Half the kids whose parents can't afford to buy them both versions. Having a version available beforehand on portable sure as hell isn't going to encourage anybody to invest in a Wii U and the SSB - god only knows what Nintendo are thinking. Extremely disappointing news, and very sad to see that Nintendo are neglecting the home console once again. If they knew the Wii U release was going to take longer, why would they not just delay both until that date as not to detriment the game as a Wii U system seller? Senseless.
Yeah, thanks god you know more about marketing that people that studied this stuff working there, and more about the difference on the two games. YOU KNOW WHAT? Wii U so dead that Miyamoto himself gonna come to your house and put a knife on your Wii U.

And I'll be playing while the haters gonna be hating!

OHHHH YEAH!

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Damn. Not only are you overreacting, you're being straight cruel. "I just hope that tendinitis hurries up so he can't touch another game ever"? What the **** is wrong with you, dude?

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
Warning Received

Nevermind, this is the stupidest post.

SSBIx3M

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah! That Megaman Final Smash!
Battle Network Version of him is in. It is my favourite Version of all. :)

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
If they couldn't afford to buy both versions they probably don't have a Wii U anyway.

I'm just waiting for the 3ds version to have brawl style air dodge and the Wii U version to have Melee style air dodge.

CASUAL FOR 3DS
COMPETITIVE/CASUAL FOR WII U

LES GOOOOOOOO

Top Bottom