• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash to the Future on hiatus for the summer!

ORLY

Smash Master
i don't see why the money is such a driving factor for you or your aforementioned "best players". i mean, i come out to hang out and play smash. the competition is really what you make of it. $5 or $10 won't matter if you care about playing your best and going for that dubya.

it saddens me that you won't be coming out anymore to my tournaments because of a halved entry fee, but i guess them's the breaks. this weekend, especially, will have a notably low turnout due to ACEN and people being otherwise engaged with work or school, but it should still be a fun day with Project M and maybe even pancake singles!

EDIT: in summation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilyQ1FxGcxA&feature=player_detailpage#t=6s

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I'm with tink on this, kinda. I'm all for interesting the new players, I think your idea to half entry fee for the first couple times is great! If you reduce entry fee to $5 for everyone, it just becomes the side tournament of a smashfest, like we used to do at the vro zones. And since its just a smashfest, I have a lot less motivation to do stuff like clear out a time slot in my hw to show up. I'm sure a lot of people bump it down on their priority list when the money is low. Definitely not attracting purdue, WI or MI to make the trip. Its a simple limit problem: is saving $5 a bigger deal when you're spending $50 to travel or when you are spending $5 to travel? Either way, its just $5 and if you can afford to travel, $5 isn't breaking the bank.

I just don't see the loss in competition comparable to the gain in savings. Its $5. You can't even get a meal at mcdonalds with that.

:phone:

ORLY

Smash Master
in my ideal tournament, entry would be free. it's not about the money for me and, i imagine, a lot of others.

i thought you'd be all about this, joe. the idea of more frequent, less expensive tournaments equates to more practice, more competition, and (i'd hoped) a better learning environment for everyone involved.

i mainly had the new people in mind and the people that travel from OoS to come to these (WI, IN especially) since they already spend a lot to travel and this is a nice way for their car to save $40 (teams + singles) and play with us and have a good time.

if the consensus is that people want to return to the old fee for playing, i won't hesitate to put it back but this is only the second tournament i've had it and the last one had 22 entrants for singles including the R bros, purdue, wisconsin, and viperboy. so i don't think the reduced entry is really as detrimental as it's being made out to be.

lemme know what you guys think; even if it's already been said. i'm trying to do what's best for the community.

Tink

Smash Hero
hey, im glad that for YOU, money doesnt make you play different in any way....but i think for alot of ppl, it does....whether it be you being more nervous during your matches, because there is indeed more on the line....or there not being anything involved if you win, and its just friendlies and ppl dont try as hard in friendlies....most ppl never have....other then u and a select few i guess?(im not saying thats good, but thats general thought in any game).

also

the second tournament i've had it and the last one had 22 entrants for singles including the R bros, purdue, wisconsin, and viperboy. so i don't think the reduced entry is really as detrimental as it's being made out to be.
i would think this would hurt your arguement 0_o....u had all those OoS ppl and still only 22 entrants(not saying its cause of the 5, but thats not a really good example)

LoOshKiN

Smash Journeyman
I'm with chris on this one. The competition is what you make of it. The real earnings and rewards should be the improvements and practice opportunities that are had, not the green crap in your wallet.

ORLY

Smash Master
my point is that people don't play different because of the money; they step it up because they want to win. i've seen everyone go hard in friendlies.

i do agree that people will be more nervous in matches when there's more on the line, but that isn't really what i want to encourage here. i want people to approach tournament matches with an aplomb that can be tempered for the high level / high stakes matches. no need for me to put the pressure on when it's, as you guys called it, a glorified smash fest.

EDIT: you need to be calm and collected when you play or else you'll make mistakes. if people can overcome this mental obstacle of being nervous and get it out of their games when there's less on the line, they can only go up from there.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
It should be said that Viperboy was against it being $5. I'm not sure how Purdue felt, but I'm pretty sure WI didn't like it either. I can't remember an exact quote from WI though.

ORLY

Smash Master
yeah i remember viperboy saying he wanted it back up to $10, but fact is that he came out anyway.

afaik neither WI or purdue had a problem with the reduced cost.

Tink

Smash Hero
lolll...vipers did notttt know it was gonna be 5 before he cam out 0_0....he got this thread mixed with the other one and i showed him when we were drinking, and even he was thinking of not coming...but that woudlve been a totaly waste for his trip.

edit: i mean, these are chicagos "bi-weeklys"(monthlies)....i dont see a reason why we would be training to beat the other regions in friendlies....we need the serious situations to happen again and again untill ppl get used to their nerves for the same situations at bigger tournaments.....thats what we should be practicing for, and what i thought the goal of any region was 0_o....not to just train so we can beat each other.....we need to think bigger picture....at least with fc on the horizon.

also, i dont know where all the MMs went....back in the day, kelly would be like a kid and a candy store with all the ppl willing to throw 5 bux at him to play.....ken at one point wouldnt play and friendlies with ppl unless u played him in a mm 0_0...ppl were serious(and ****s) back in the day

ORLY

Smash Master
you do know that $5 singles is very common on the coasts aside from their regionals, right? this is not a new thing i'm trying to start here; it's already well established.

i need a better reason from you than "i want more money for it to be worth my precious time"

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
$10 singles and $5 teams ($10 per team) is the way to go IMO. A lot of EC/WC tourneys are doing this and we are in MI as well.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
when WI came down chris ran $5 singles and got 24 entrants for singles. It wasn't a high turnout but it wasn't low either. The only good person I remember not being there was tink.
Games don't die because people run cheap locals, they die because nobody wants to play the game anymore. Higher entrance fee it to get good players to travel, but these are locals.
no teams is a way bigger reason to ditch than $5 singles.

ike is redic tho

ORLY

Smash Master
$10 singles and $5 teams ($10 per team) is the way to go IMO. A lot of EC/WC tourneys are doing this and we are in MI as well.
that's a good compromise. i'll probably do that when we have more than 30 people, as well as a modified payout.

lol this is a lot of discussion about my last tournament of the summer. sveet is taking over in like a month

EDIT: ike may be okay but bowser is the king, baby

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
nobody gets hype over a $5 tournament. This is my scale of tournament fees:

Free - lol don't try, don't care
$1 - smashfest items on tournament
$5 - smashfest seriously tournament
$10- local tournament
$15- midsized regional
$20- large regional/small national
$30- large national/international

Its cool you want to have underground smashfest style tournaments, but that's not what the chicago scene needs. We need local/regional tournaments with serious cutthroat competition. Whether you like it or not, the entry fee determines this.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
nobody gets hype over a $5 tournament. This is my scale of tournament fees:

Free - lol don't try, don't care
$1 - smashfest items on tournament
$5 - smashfest seriously tournament
$10- local tournament
$15- midsized regional
$20- large regional/small national
$30- large national/international

Its cool you want to have underground smashfest style tournaments, but that's not what the chicago scene needs. We need local/regional tournaments with serious cutthroat competition. Whether you like it or not, the entry fee determines this.

Either way I'm winning so I don't care.

Kels88

Smash Lord
So wait... this one is $5 singles as well?

Edit:
the biggest problem with $5 singles is that the players that constantly place high lose incentive to go. Chris while i kinda agree with what you're saying, you aren't trying to look at it from the top players perspective

Orly's view: Lower the cost and attract more new players that probably would have never come if it were a $10 entry fee. Also it lets players come together and get more practice without spending the extra $5 dollars.

The only problem with this is that for the most part the top players don't really need to come to these to get good practice. Tink is 20 mins from me and the brothers live with each other. Sure it'll be fun. But as you said, gas is high. Where's our motivation to come? To play friendlies and possibly win back what we spent in gas?

i didn't really mind the doubles dropping to $5 but singles too? I doubt i'll make it.

LE I think the best way to learn is simply from experience. As much as i've been told about this game nothing was better for me than having it happen to me first hand. And i also think the amount of focus you put into each match matter greatly. I played one match before where i was tech chasing fox and it honestly looked like he was moving in slow motion. I can't always achieve that level of focus but if you can it def helps. It's as if the game is actually slowing down. knowing what to do in a certain situation or knowing how to get of a difficult one usually just boils down to experience. It took me a while to understand that. i once asked m2k what am i doing wrong and his response was "Play smarter". lol i was so pissed because that was an obvious way to get better but i didn't have a clue at what i was doing wrong. But it's honestly the best advice i've been given. Playing more matches helped me to understand what i was doing wrong and i improved from there.

1. Focus on your opponent.
2. Get his movements down and predict what you think he might do and be ready to counter it
3. If he does what you think and you successfully counter it make him pay with his life.

This is honestly how i look at smash now.

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
At home it was mostly $5 for singles and teams (per person). I don't know if times have changed or not, but ya. lol

We need local/regional tournaments with serious cutthroat competition. Whether you like it or not, the entry fee determines this.
Ok when you say "we need...cutthroat competition", I'm assuming you mean for the betterment of the local community. In my opinion, this has nothing to do with entry fee at all. The ways to become a greater competitive community are:

1. Stop johning: about players, your character/your matchups. (the biggest one)

2. Weed out/call out the johns: don't let nubs spread their nubness with their johns. Call them out when they say "omg Fox is busted, nair has so much priority" cause they have no idea what they're talking about and it's just going to confuse beginners.

3. Help me help you: Sorry if I sound like a "coastie" or whatever lol, but at home the atmosphere of a smashfest is like training camp. Everyone shares everything they know about every matchup. Every single trick or "gimmick". Every way to play a MU more effectively is shared. We are not our own competition.

#my 2 cents

Kels88

Smash Lord
So Kels said on FB that he isn't going because it's going to be $5....
=/
lmao i said it in my post too. not trying to hide it. It takes up my entire day. I just have other things that i'd rather do today than play friendlies all day. Because that's what this is pretty much going to amount to. I don't have a problem going to $5 tournaments when i feel it's reasonable. I had no trouble going to the don't blink tournaments when melee was $5 entry fee. I went to a purdue tourney where it was $5 entry. Hell i even went to a Mi tourney where it was $5 entry fee. But I don't see the reasoning behind keeping it at $5. So you guys have fun. At least it'll be interesting to see who'll win.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
LE I agree with those points, and it would be great if we could have smashfests like that again (vro zone), but I'm simply talking about our local tournaments. These are our proving grounds. I believe in training hard and fighting hard. I don't hide information in training, but I don't want tournament matches where my friends (we are pretty much all friends at these locals) are just smiling and joking with each other during the games. The thing is that smashing grounds is THE spot for competition in the chicagoland area, literally half of the tournaments in the PR are smashing grounds. Without smashing grounds, where is the chicago scene?

ORLY

Smash Master
after reading sveet's post, i've come to the conclusion that we need more smashfests like we had at vro's or sveet's. i always learned the most talkin' smash theory with rat and sveet outside vro's place, smokin' (last member of the trinity to quit [which is coming soon]).

****, dudes. where's the love gone?

Blank0ut

Smash Rookie
Just a heads up, I can only bring 1 of the 2 Wii/P:M setups I promised; Due to my friend bailing on me last second. I can't pick up his since I'm going to this from ACEN.

See you guys at the P:M event!

LoOshKiN

Smash Journeyman
after reading sveet's post, i've come to the conclusion that we need more smashfests like we had at vro's or sveet's. i always learned the most talkin' smash theory with rat and sveet outside vro's place, smokin' (last member of the trinity to quit [which is coming soon]).

****, dudes. where's the love gone?
Whoa whoa, I still need to quit too...

Tink

Smash Hero
lolll....jeff better win this! i feel like...even if chris didnt want this outcome to happen, to be less top pros, i feel like 10% of him is like...yessss....i get moneys lolllllllllllllllllllllll.

10lames x 2

Tink

Smash Hero
lollll....

well, to those who like it half entry: good luck getting better at the game, playing noone better then you 0_0. i know thats how all the big pros get better of course.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Its okay Tink, I think everyone has gotten the point. I'm not sure if chris is having another of these in 2 weeks, but in any case my tournies start in less than a month and things will be back to normal. I even plan on stepping up my TOing.

On the topic of smashfests, Kels, Tink, Rat, Trail, etc... you chicago folk, would you be interested in a smashfest series like the vro zone? I will be living at my parent's house again and I think I can convince them to give up the basement a couple times a week. I'm a little farther than Cary's parents', but I am right off of 88 (about 1 mile from the exit). The Vro Zones were the best thing to happen to the chicago melee scene, and if there was a time we needed them most, it would be now. My basement can hold around 20 smashers between the two rooms with seating for everyone. Would you guys be willing to come to that? If so, what days are best? My schedule is still really flexable, but I'm going to be ironing out details soon so I need to know ASAP

Quaz

Smash Master
I wouldn't mind showing up once in a while Sveet. I just can't really go to tourneys because work is kinda blah. Smashfests are good enough for practice though!

Top Bottom