• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I don't know why they split it into 2 games. FE isn't Pokemon.
The thing is Fates isn't the Pokemon two game system at all aka the same game with slight variation of Pokemon. Birthright and Conquest plays so dramatically different that it's hard to compare them from a gameplay standpoint. Birthright was so overly simple while Conquest was extremely annoying. Frankly, it seems like they thought they could appeal to both kinds of Fire Emblem fans by creating two games and selling them separately.

I liked the games well enough though I see more issues in hindsight then I did while playing them. Though I think I would of preferred a mixture of the two styles with a more fleshed out game overall. Revelations attempted to do this but it was kind of all over the place as well.

Of course this is Fire Emblem, no matter what Intelligence System does, one side of the fan base or the other is going to hate it.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
What's particularly bland about Kozaki Yusuke's art? He's one of the few manga artists I actually like. Mostly due to his characters' outfits though.
I don't find his art in-game to be particularly appealing. Going back to Awakening, in addition to the revamped designs for each class, I remember a lot of brown, grey, and black among the cast bar Tiki. Additionally it as also the first game in the franchise where character portraits didn't move (even FE1 had moving sprites). Awakening/Fates overall presentation felt lacking, and voice actors repeating the same grunts over and over got old fast.

I do enjoy his black/white art pictures and I do follow him on Twitter, you just won't see me adding his artbooks or posters to my greater FE collection.

Wait, which game with a Zero you are refering?

Let me warn you, if you say anything bad about mah boy Mega Man Zero, I!!!!......respect your opinion, but be a bit sad.
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:

I don't think I would be allowed to mod the Mega Man board if I didn't have a favorable opinion towards the Zero series. lol

Just going to throw this out there because I haven’t seen anyone mention it here or on ResetEra: Saki Amamiya as an echo fighter for Shulk. Only thing that’d probably be unique for Saki is his standard B would have to be changed to gunfire. Chrom showed us anything Echoes can pull from other source material when it makes sense for the character. Perhaps one of Mii Gunner’s old custom special moves?
I'm still crossing my fingers for an appearance from him not unlike Issac fans. I can kind of see him even having a bullet arts type gimmick like Bayonetta.

Last edited:

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
As of now, I would also say Shadows of Valentia is my favorite Fire Emblem. My first was Awakening, and I got the deluxe edition of Fates, and enjoyed both of them very much. I also bought Blazing Blade and Sacred Stones on Virtual Console and loved them too. The two Ike ones I can't afford, and I did get Shadow Dragon. That was terrible. Having to kill off characters all the time to get other ones... bleh. Combined with so little character stuff, definitely my least favorite. Never played the Japanese ones.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I don't find his art in-game to be particularly appealing. Going back to Awakening, in addition to the revamped designs for each class, I remember a lot of brown, grey, and black among the cast bar Tiki. Additionally it as also the first game in the franchise where character portraits didn't move (even FE1 had moving sprites). Awakening/Fates overall presentation felt lacking, and voice actors repeating the same grunts over and over got old fast.

I do enjoy his black/white art pictures and I do follow him on Twitter, you just won't see me adding his artbooks or posters to my greater FE collection.

:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:

I'm still crossing my fingers for an appearance from him not unlike Issac fans. I can kind of see him even having a bullet arts type gimmick like Bayonetta.
....My bad then lol.

Thanks for the answer, I see myself in the corner now haha.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Man, I can't really contribute to this Fire Emblem discussion...even though I played a lot of :4myfriends::4robinm:. I'm just not much into that style RPG...I like the First-person RPGs better.

Still, I understand the Corrin dislike. I actually never bought him or Bayonetta - I was so disillusioned by Sm4sh at that point and there wasn't much in the wy of single-player content, so I'd stopped playing completely soon after the announcement. I think I'd have accepted it better if Azura had been the character they brought in instead of Corrin; at least she has an awesome name would come with a unique weapon...though it is interesting that a half-dragon-transformer kit didn't really jive with me. A lot of frustration just rubbed off on me from the forum. Also all of his colors are terrible, especially for the male version. I'm not a fan of the bizarre alien armor outfit, and add to that that they all have the same outfit and hair color and a blue sash...? Even Sora has better fashion sense than them.

Nah

Clair is a Gym Leader with big blue boots, a bad attitude and bad breath.
YES!
:148:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Eh, they would've to rework much more than Chrom due to the Monado's two hit properties in several moves, and there's several candidates from Xenoblade that can be Shulk's Echo.
Saki is much better as off as an unique, plus he could have Isa as an Echo.
I feel like Dunban would make a interesting twist for a Shulk echo, in a similar essence to Pichu where he takes damage when using attacks. As using the monado puts strain on his body. There are other options, but that goes into spoilers as they aren't obvious if you haven't played through most of the game.

D

Deleted member

The main problem with the two separate games thing is that Fates was initially advertised as a game of branching choices but that was blatantly false advertisement because you only make two total choices across all three routes and one of them isn't a choice when it's locked behind a paywall AND you have to buy the game version before you play it.
The ither choice doesn't even have any impact, it's just whether you want Shura aka second-best character or a pair of Boots.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I just hate Golden Routes as a concept because they invalidate anything else the game has. They're just boring and make it feel like any conflict in the game was easily avoidable.
I don't mind Golden Endings that are explicitely hidden and hard to get, such as by making it only attainable through weirdly specific choices and actions.
My one problem with Undertale's story is that you can get the Golden Ending by simply playing the entire game as it was supposed to be played and not only invalidates the other two playstyles but outright condemns you for even trying to do them.
Golden endings can also make the player feel accomplished, if the player knows that bad endings are a possibility.

For instance, Mass Effect 2's suicide mission is clearly stated to be a suicide mission, in which any member of your party can die, including your player character, depending on your decisions and preparedness before enacting the mission. While getting the golden ending isn't particularly complex (talk to your party members regularly, complete every companion mission, buy any recommended ship upgrade, don't piss off party members in key decisions) it's still fulfilling to get to the end of that mission with every single person alive, including your crew that had been abducted by the Collectors.

It offers a real incentive to playing the game in its entirety. If you let someone die, you know that you screwed up somewhere or forgot something. If nobody dies, you know you accomplished everything you could have. It's a reward.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As of now, I would also say Shadows of Valentia is my favorite Fire Emblem. My first was Awakening, and I got the deluxe edition of Fates, and enjoyed both of them very much. I also bought Blazing Blade and Sacred Stones on Virtual Console and loved them too. The two Ike ones I can't afford, and I did get Shadow Dragon. That was terrible. Having to kill off characters all the time to get other ones... bleh. Combined with so little character stuff, definitely my least favorite. Never played the Japanese ones.
Honestly Shadow Dragon is one of my favorites. The death-gaidens were just supposed to be a compromise for people who found permadeath too daunting (note that after Shadow Dragon, Casual Mode was immediately introduced in New Mystery...this definitely shows this was their intention) but I can see how they'd irk 100%-ers. But still, I firmly believe it was less of a reward and more of a fail safe.

That and the writing and map design is top notch. The story itself is basic (I mean it's a remake of a Famicom game) but the way it's written is wonderful. Plus units like Marth, Caeda, Minerva, Julian, Cain, and Merric got some great character writing, in particular, alongside Nyna and Camus as NPCs, with others like Ogma, Lena, Tiki, Palla, and Hardin laying the groundwork for more development in the sequel. I mean yeah, there are still non-characters like Bord and Cord, Tomas, and Vyland, but I wouldn't write off Archanea's characters completely. The lack of supports was disappointing, but the few map conversations that existed were really well done imo.

Shadow Dragon's just one of those semi-controversial games I have strong opinions about, haha.

Last edited:

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Nintendo of America unpinned their tweet about the direct getting delayed. Not sure if this means anything or not but hopefully it means we'll get a date soon.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Nintendo of America unpinned their tweet about the direct getting delayed. Not sure if this means anything or not but hopefully it means we'll get a date soon.
Fitting that talking about Corrin would lead to something getting unpinned.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Here's hoping… I don't think they can stop famitsu from happening, they probably have already printed and even if not it still would mean a lot of money… so it should be in their best interest to avoid leaks from any type of media by releasing it during the weekend at least. Dunno...

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
So as a villain for :ultlittlemac:

King Hippo or Sandman?

gets my vote but, eh?
King Hippo would be really cool, but at the same time...Ehhh, King Hippo's not really a villain is he? I mean, they have him be a villain in Captain N, but IIRC doesn't he offer to buy Mac lunch after their match?

D

Deleted member

Just going to throw this out there because I haven’t seen anyone mention it here or on ResetEra: Saki Amamiya as an echo fighter for Shulk. Only thing that’d probably be unique for Saki is his standard B would have to be changed to gunfire. Chrom showed us anything Echoes can pull from other source material when it makes sense for the character. Perhaps one of Mii Gunner’s old custom special moves?
Saying Saki Amamiya as an echo fighter of Shulk is like saying Kanye and Lil Pump's newest music drop is amazing.
It just ain't it, chief.

Also GOOD MORNING/EVENING/AFTERNOON, hopefully I haven't missed too much.

Pakky

Smash Hero
It means... the Direct is live now!
Yes!
So how hard are you going to shun non-believers when BWD gets in?

King Hippo would be really cool, but at the same time...Ehhh, King Hippo's not really a villain is he? I mean, they have him be a villain in Captain N, but IIRC doesn't he offer to buy Mac lunch after their match?
Then again maybe the term 'villain' was a bit off base seeing as how :ultkrool::ultridley: are called 'rivals'.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I don't mind Golden Endings that are explicitely hidden and hard to get, such as by making it only attainable through weirdly specific choices and actions.
My one problem with Undertale's story is that you can get the Golden Ending by simply playing the entire game as it was supposed to be played and not only invalidates the other two playstyles but outright condemns you for even trying to do them.
Heh, I say nothing is really against you if you to do a very grey neutral run, no matter what the game say, you are in control and you can always do another pacifist run if you want. (or do a jerk pacifist run if you prefer)

The Genocide run is indeed discouraged by the game....but that's the whole point. Who want to grind forever in the same place until they kill everyone? Just to see what happen next? One of the biggest complain in RPG in general is how alot of them force you to grind in the same place until you are powerful enough to face the boss that you are stuck with for hours. Undertale know that and implent it in the world story to show you how both out and in-universe would be bad for the player and the world those characters live in.

But like I said, you are the one in control, and if you want to do genocide after getting the best ending, who is here to really stop you? That's all in your hand, you just have to assume the consequence of your choices once it's done.

I am going to stop here before I go too off-topic, it's a Smash Ultimate thread after all, just wanted to give my 2 cents on that.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord

King Hippo or Sandman?

gets my vote but, eh?
King Hippo is more iconic, unless you consider Sandman is basically Mike Tyson.

Also, yeah a black character would be cool that doesn’t feel like pandering.

Also Sandman would make for a great echo of Mac. More powerful, but bigger and slower.

So I vote Sandman.

D

Deleted member

Was gonna stay away for fear of leaks, but eh, if things leak, they leak. My curiosity would end up getting the best of me and I'd end up looking anyway, lol.

I saw some Fire Emblem talk goin' on earlier. While I can't comment too much on the older games (I've only played Awakening and Fates so far), my favorite in the series right now from a gameplay standpoint is Conquest. Map design was really on point in that game IMO, and while the story was...not to my taste, some of the support dialogues were surprisingly good. Beruka's especially got really heavy and interesting for me, and I love the way she interacts with Arthur.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Regarding famitsu the best solution would be to have the direct 1 or 2 days prior to Famistu's release (which would put the direct on Monday or Tuesday? I think)

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
King Hippo is more iconic, unless you consider Sandman is basically Mike Tyson.

Also, yeah a black character would be cool that doesn’t feel like pandering.

Also Sandman would make for a great echo of Mac. More powerful, but bigger and slower.

So I vote Sandman.
This.

I am of the men of black.

So black characters should get in for being well 'good characters' as opposed to being a quota filler. That does more harm than good.

Also Sandman punched a building to the ground... Jesus.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Golden endings can also make the player feel accomplished, if the player knows that bad endings are a possibility.

For instance, Mass Effect 2's suicide mission is clearly stated to be a suicide mission, in which any member of your party can die, including your player character, depending on your decisions and preparedness before enacting the mission. While getting the golden ending isn't particularly complex (talk to your party members regularly, complete every companion mission, buy any recommended ship upgrade, don't piss off party members in key decisions) it's still fulfilling to get to the end of that mission with every single person alive, including your crew that had been abducted by the Collectors.

It offers a real incentive to playing the game in its entirety. If you let someone die, you know that you screwed up somewhere or forgot something. If nobody dies, you know you accomplished everything you could have. It's a reward.
There's a difference between a good ending and a Golden Ending.
A Golden Ending is like Revelation in Fates, where no main characters die(except Izana but meh) and everyone gets a happy ending. There's no price to be paid on them despite the other two routes being all about making hard choices. Revelation is a cop out because of that.
Undertale's Pacifist Route has literally everyone live and get their happy ending and the game makes it so that it's the only "right" way to play it by condemning you for playing any other way. Pacifist Route goes against the very concept of a game of choices.

From what you're telling me, it seems like you actually have to play the game properly to get Mass Effect's best ending, and it's mostly about saving your own party than toher characters which would be no different in concept from playing a FE game without letting any of your units die.

D

Deleted member

King Hippo or Sandman?

gets my vote but, eh?
As far as I know, King Hippo is a constant. The final person fought usually varies, doesn't it?

EDIT: Sandman wouldn't be a bad addition, but I don't think he can be an echo. I know what constitutes an echo is still up for debate, but Little Mac is supposed to be really small on purpose. If they make Sandman, he would be huge; both size & muscle wise. It would be no way near the same wire frame or character model. At that point, sicne they have create an entire model and can't simply overlay it with minor aesthetic changes, it wouldn't really be an echo, but its own character (which I'm not against). His hits are meant to be strong and punishing; his style isn't nearly the same as Little mac's quick jabs, so his moves and attack animations would be entirely different. Everything about him would be completely different. Again, not that that's a bad thing, but its another mark against the possibility of being an echo.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Heh, I say nothing is really against you if you to do a very grey neutral run, no matter what the game say, you are in control and you can always do another pacifist run if you want. (or do a jerk pacifist run if you prefer)

The Genocide run is indeed discouraged by the game....but that's the whole point. Who want to grind forever in the same place until they kill everyone? Just to see what happen next? One of the biggest complain in RPG in general is how alot of them force you to grind in the same place until you are powerful enough to face the boss that you are stuck with for hours. Undertale know that and implent it in the world story to show you how both out and in-universe would be bad for the player and the world those characters live in.

But like I said, you are the one in control, and if you want to do genocide after getting the best ending, who is here to really stop you? That's all in your hand, you just have to assume the consequence of your choices once it's done.

I am going to stop here before I go too off-topic, it's a Smash Ultimate thread after all, just wanted to give my 2 cents on that.
The game PERMANENTLY taints your save file locking you away from the true golden ending if you do the Genocide run.
The game punishes you for playing the game. If they didn't want people to play Genocide, it shouldn't even be a thing.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Regarding famitsu the best solution would be to have the direct 1 or 2 days prior to Famistu's release (which would put the direct on Monday or Tuesday? I think)
What scares me about famitsu is that it usually leaks earlier than their intended release, so spoilers are big possibility.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Man, I wish they could release the Direct like this weekend or Monday before potential strong leaks, but I got a feeling is still coming on Thursday..

Pakky

Smash Hero
As far as I know, King Hippo is a constant. The final person fought usually varies, doesn't it?

EDIT: Sandman wouldn't be a bad addition, but I don't think he can be an echo. I know what constitutes an echo is still up for debate, but Little Mac is supposed to be really small on purpose. If they make Sandman, he would be huge; both size & muscle wise. It would be no way near the same wire frame or character model. At that point, sicne they have create an entire model and can't simply overlay it with minor aesthetic changes, it wouldn't really be an echo, but its own character (which I'm not against). His hits are meant to be strong and punishing; his style isn't nearly the same as Little mac's quick jabs, so his moves and attack animations would be entirely different. Everything about him would be completely different. Again, not that that's a bad thing, but its another mark against the possibility of being an echo.
Well skeletons can be sized up to fit a model if one is simply just bigger than the other.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Awakening? Too easy and for the casuals

Want a real fire emblem game? I have to recommend Path Of Radiance. Took the series in strange bold new places

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
What scares me about famitsu is that it usually leaks earlier than their intended release, so spoilers are big possibility.
At least it’s a magazine, though, right, so, we’ll still have to wait to see the trailers so we’ll still have something to be excited about?

Handy Man

Smash Ace

King Hippo or Sandman?

gets my vote but, eh?
King Hippo for sure. He was on Captain N, plus even though Mike Tyson/Mr. Dream may be more iconic, King Hippo is the first boss in Punch-Out NES and Wii that most people face. He would also be another heavyweight character, something that has been lacking throughout the lifespan of the Smash series. King Hippo is that one character that I think will never happen, but I would love to use him if he was added.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
At least it’s a magazine, though, right, so, we’ll still have to wait to see the trailers so we’ll still have something to be excited about?
The reveal is the big aspect though. The trailer is a nice confirmation, but it's the reveal that people really care about.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

King Hippo or Sandman?

gets my vote but, eh?
More interesting question. Is which villains for any Nintendo franchise?

Super Mario Bros.: King Boo
The Legend of Zelda: Skull Kid
Kirby: Dark Meta Knight, Magolor, Marx, Nightmare
EarthBound: Giygas (Physical Form), Porky Minch
F-Zero: Black Shadow, Deathborn
Fire Emblem: Black Knight
Metroid: Kanden, Noxus, Spire, Sylux, Trace, Weavel
Kid Icarus: Hades, Magnus, Medusa, Phosphora, Viridi

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom