• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I wasn't referring to you
Well then...you shouldn’t have put that “boomers” part in if you was gonna quote me (or at the least put in a /s)
But villains!
Eggman, Medusa, Ash, Black Knight, Robin (when possessed by Grima), Dr.Mario, Jigglypuff, Villager (Killager), Sylux, Evil Octolings, DJ Octavio, Yoshi, Evil Ryu, Violent Ken, Metal Sonic, Mephiles, Hades, Pandora, Goomba and Koopa, Kamek...the list goes on

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Man, September can't end fast enough
Preach to the choir. At this point I'd rather not spend much of my time on here until then.

I would say it is not insane to suggest possibilities like Steve and Master Chief, IDK about the other two since their franchises are a small fly compared to the big boys Halo and Minecraft. :p
Yeah, but Battletoads is one of the most notoriously hard retro series ever. The first game is iconic for how Nintendo-hard it is. Plus it'd be perfect to capitalise on the upcoming revival.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Good arguments against Steve:
- "Bomberman and Rathalos proved that a 3rd party franchise can be represented without a playable character."
- "Banjo-Kazooie might have scored higher on the ballot (although we can't know for certain)."
- "I don't care about or don't like Steve, but because I'm aware of my bias, I'm not going to rule out the possibility of him being playable."

Bad arguments against Steve (or anyone really):
- "He wouldn't work because of x/y/z reasons."

We've seen this happen with Isabelle being "too pacifistic", we've seen this with Ridley being "too big", and we've seen this with Dark Samus being "too unique to be an echo". C'mon people.

And no matter what side you pick in this debate there are no certainties until he's either confirmed or deconfirmed by Nintendo, so don't get cocky.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Preach to the choir. At this point I'd rather not spend much of my time on here until then.

Yeah, but Battletoads is one of the most notoriously hard retro series ever. The first game is iconic for how Nintendo-hard it is. Plus it'd be perfect to capitalise on the upcoming revival.
And Rash got into Killer Instinct.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
He’s been secretly poisoning and attempting to kill many character who have tried to get into/return to Smash after Brawl, with Waluigi and Yoshi being exceptions

Last edited:

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion, Minecraft absolutely deserves playable representation, given how much it has achieved in the past decade. I doubt he would get this much hate if he and Banjo were from separate corporations. To be honest, I see waaaaaaay more moveset potential for Steve than I do Banjo.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Ironic how Ryu was leaked and now Ken has been leaked lol

Street Fighter cant catch a break
It was pretty obvious he would be in anyway. He's the original echo fighter, was the only other SF character to have a trophy and their theme in Smash 4 and Ryu's redish alt has been replaced with a purple one.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
If we have to have Minecraft in Smash it shoukd be a stage at best. A creeper AT maybe.

Not every 3rd party series needs or deserves playable representation.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
For one thing, Sakurai might consider adding Banjo to be a less interesting opportunity, when he could be adding the biggest mascots from Microsoft like Chief and Steve. He might have viewed Banjo as a big opportunity back in Smash 64/Melee, but with the current situation, he might choose to pick Steve/Chief over Banjo (characters that would better represent Microsoft as a whole), in sort of the same way that Simon was chosen over Bomberman (Whose IP was also acquired by a big company Konami, whose franchise is also minuscule compared to the big franchises like Frogger, Castlevania, and hell even the Yu-Gi-Oh videogames). We gotta look at all of the possibilities that could have gone through with Microsoft instead of just narrowly seeing one path of Sakurai only approaching Microsoft for Banjo with no roadblocks at all. Thinking only one-way and believing that to be the only possibility could lead you to a path of disappointment.

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
*deep breathe*

HYRULE WARRIORS LINK IS CUTEST LINK

Good arguments against Steve:
- "Bomberman and Rathalos proved that a 3rd party franchise can be represented without a playable character."
- "Banjo-Kazooie might have scored higher on the ballot (although we can't know for certain)."
- "I don't care about or don't like Steve, but because I'm aware of my bias, I'm not going to rule out the possibility of him being playable."

Bad arguments against Steve (or anyone really):
- "He wouldn't work because of x/y/z reasons."

We've seen this happen with Isabelle being "too pacifistic", we've seen this with Ridley being "too big", and we've seen this with Dark Samus being "too unique to be an echo". C'mon people.

And no matter what side you pick in this debate there are no certainties until he's either confirmed or deconfirmed by Nintendo, so don't get cocky.
I would also add that his animation is very passive. I know there are several characters that don't fight in their series, but because of that, their fighting moves are a blank template.

Of course my argument kind of sounds like "if Ridley is playable he's not Ridley" admittedly. But Ridley's movements are still just as dynamic. I guess for Steve, they could make his attacks slow but with long reach, like the Belmonts.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Honestly one of the biggest things I’m looking forward to in the next potential smash direct is another Assist Trophy showcase. With 40 already confirmed right now, and “more than 50” total, we have at least 11 assists unaccounted for.

What Assists are y'all hoping for or predicting? I really hope Poochy
gets to be an assist.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
For one thing, Sakurai might consider adding Banjo to be a less interesting opportunity, when he could be adding the biggest mascots from Microsoft like Chief and Steve. He might have viewed Banjo as a big opportunity back in Smash 64/Melee, but with the current situation, he might choose to pick Steve/Chief over Banjo (characters that would better represent Microsoft as a whole), in sort of the same way that Simon was chosen over Bomberman (Whose IP was also acquired by a big company Konami, whose franchise is also minuscule compared to the big franchises like Frogger, Castlevania, and hell even the Yu-Gi-Oh videogames). We gotta look at all of the possibilities that could have gone through with Microsoft instead of just narrowly seeing one path of Sakurai only approaching Microsoft for Banjo with no roadblocks at all. Thinking only one-way and believing that to be the only possibility could lead you to a path of disappointment.
Master Chief would actually be kinda cool not gonna lie

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Honestly one of the biggest things I’m looking forward to in the next potential smash direct is another Assist Trophy showcase. With 40 already confirmed right now, and “more than 50” total, we have at least 11 assists unaccounted for.

gets to be an assist.
My boi is the only one of the original 10 franchises that has no items and/or Assist Trophies. It's time :yoshi:

Noipoi

Howdy!

gets to be an assist.
Dimentio would be pretty cool.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Even though Kamek is just as much a Mario character as he is a Yoshi character, you could slap the Yoshi stamp on a Kamek assist trophy I wouldn't mind.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You have no proof
Well all the items he’s beaten the **** out of people in Smash as well as him never getting a license are proof enough (also Odyssey when you go Doctor Mode)...so I suppose it’s just Mario overall

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990

gets to be an assist.
Isaac (R.I.P)
Ray MK III
Bandanna Dee (R.I.P)
Prince Froggy
Chun-Li
Shantae (R.I.P)
Chocobo
Creeper
Mallow
Mumbo

Last edited:

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
Well all the items he’s beaten the **** out of people in Smash as well as him never getting a license are proof enough (also Odyssey when you go Doctor Mode)...so I suppose it’s just Mario overall
"Sometimes, the only way to save a life is to take one"

KMDP

Smash Legend
I was fine with a Minecraft stage, I even kinda liked the idea. But Steve as a playable character?
No. Please just no.

And what's with some people getting on their high horse over this?
Acting "enlightened" and demeaning the people who would rather not have Steve in this game makes you look way more petty than the people that are overreacting.
If we have to have Minecraft in Smash it shoukd be a stage at best. A creeper AT maybe.

Not every 3rd party series needs or deserves playable representation.
Agreed on all points.
---
To be honest, I see waaaaaaay more moveset potential for Steve than I do Banjo.
You uh... sure about that?

Have you ever actually played a Banjo-Kazooie game? Honest question.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I would also add that his animation is very passive. I know there are several characters that don't fight in their series, but because of that, their fighting moves are a blank template.

Of course my argument kind of sounds like "if Ridley is playable he's not Ridley" admittedly. But Ridley's movements are still just as dynamic. I guess for Steve, they could make his attacks slow but with long reach, like the Belmonts.
In the past, I would have said there was some weight to the argument of Ridley being too big, if it weren't for the fact that Smash upscales and downscales characters all the time. I need evidence within the series itself to know if it's possible or impossible.

Even then, it took Ridley until now to be playable in Smash because of the difficulties with the character. So yes. Steve can be a fighter, litterally anyone can be a fighter. But if Sakurai thinks he would be too difficult or is not suited to be a fighter this time around, he will skip out on him, just like he did with Ridley and Villager in the past.

Just because someone can be a fighter doesn't mean that they can be made one easily. Some characters are more easily realizable as fighters than others.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
"Sometimes, the only way to save a life is to take one"
Or you know...trillion of lives just to save one woman...and not even the right woman

His friends and Luigi would disapprove of such a method if it weren’t for them doing the exact same thing

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
My boi is the only one of the original 10 franchises that has no items and/or Assist Trophies. It's time :yoshi:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Yoshi is the most deserving franchise for a unique playable character. Kamek anyone?

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
If Sakurai ignores Banjo for Steve, I'm pretty sure he'll ignore Geno for a DQ rep as well.

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
Or you know...trillion of lives just to save one woman...and not even the right woman

His friends and Luigi would disapprove of such a method if it weren’t for them doing the exact same thing
C'mon, man. Bowser and his goons are objectively evil. Why else would they build their castle close to lava?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom