• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
Its not small inconsisties its major. There are so many changes made to the background that you cant even remotely call it the same image. And all the problems consist clearly in parts where the creator had to guess what was behind each character
Are you referring to the blank background? Because if so, I believe that is just for instructions on how to assemble a promotional item. These instructions almost always have photos that are lower quality or not accurate representations and are just meant to help with assembly.

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
LEAK IS REAL: Somebody took a picture of Eric's workplace lmao

LEAK IS FAKE: Alright guys hear me out hear me out. Somebody posted on 4chan in September and he thought his roster was perfect so he started his masterplan. He first started working on a banner by cutting out every character with precision and keeping the assets. He drew the empty spots in the mural. A month before, he had noticed the exact places where the banner cut so that he could place the characters in these cuts. His work done, he proceeded to look at videos on the internet about marketing and how cardboard cutting companies worked. He landed on a french company and called there to speak to one of the lead designers. He then checked his LinkedIn to make sure that guy had also worked at companies that have dealt with Bandai Namco before. He simulated a workplace along with the tools, printed on receipt papers Autocad commands, photoshopped the marketing blueprints and stamped his mural on there. He then bought plastic paper to make bracelets and designed bracelets with his mural on it. He put industrial adhesive plastic on both sides to make it look more believable. He made more than one bracelet and hid two of them next to the central one under paper on the off-chance that we would look there to find it. When that was done, he looked at the project and asked some friends. They said it wasn't believable enough. In shambles, he got an idea. Of course! The Grinch movie! He started designing renders and keychain-like things with the Grinch in a giftbox on it and put them next to the whole project. He then wrote the name of the employee, making sure that he put enough pressure to make an indentation on the paper so that 4chan could find it. He did one sharpie strike on the upper half and then two sharpie strikes on the lower half so that people would believe he really tried to cross out the name but not quite enough. Then, this absolute madman took a picture and showed it to his friend again. His friend said: ''Nah man, it looks fake, you can't just post that on 4chan''. Destroyed once again by his keen-eyed friend, he got another idea: What if I created another Snapchat and then send it to myself as a video and then take a screenshot. So he did, and then he went on 4chan and posted the picture there, praying, PRAYING that they would bite and that he would get at least 25 (You)'s. Disregard the fact that people with ties to Nintendo are acting extremely weird, please, that's totally irrelevant.
I wish this was stickied somewhere haha this is so perfect

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Yeah, I don't really believe the theory either.

It's more likely that the meet-up with Phil Spencer at E3 was to show progress of Banjo than to get permission.

Regarding Incineroar, my theory is that they're holding him off until Ash's Torracat evolves into Incineroar (presumably, in Spring 2019), when Incineroar will be 100% relevant, that's the only way holding off Incineroar for DLC makes sense to me.
Gotta admit, I don't understand The Pokemon Company's timeline right now.

Like gen 8 is coming out next year, and so that means usually that around Feb-March we will start to see trailers, specifically the first starters. Does the anime normally go up into the next gen release? Because I feel like things like that, as well as Incineroar would be lost in excitement for the new gen.

I mean after all, the goal of marketing one of their characters would be to sell the game it's from and that's a hard sell when they are also advertising their next upcoming game. It's totally possible, but i think it would be silly of The Pokemon Company. Incineroar definitly feels like a base or bust kind of character *shrug*

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
So here's a question. Let's say Incineroar gets revealed next and the banner is confirmed fake when the person who made it steps forward. Not everyone, but a few insiders think there could be a few characters on the banner who are actually in Smash.

Who would these characters be and why?
even if this was proven fake beyond a shadow of doubt we'd probably never find out who the actual leaker is because they'd probably get sued to hell by Marina if they came forward, and probably Eric himself assuming someone was using his identity as a scapegoat.

Fortnite4Smash

Smash Apprentice
Everyone here is saying that all we can do now is wait for a Direct as proof... but no one thought of this. What if the Direct is blurry?

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Aside of Shadow and Geno, I don't see any character fitting as assist trophy, and making Geno an assist trophy would be an horrible slap in the face of his fans after all these years
Let me start off first by saying, I'd never wish for anyone's character to be AT'd over being playable even if disliked the person. That being said you should be careful with that line of thinking. Most thought Takamaru or Ashley shouldn't be an assist trophy, including me, especially with how popular Ashley is. But In the end it was all in vain, and our favorite characters didn't make it in. The disappointment hit me hardest with Lyn and Krystal. I'm not saying don't root for them being playable but keep in mind that anything can happen, even a wanted character being AT'ed
Oh boy, look at the time. Yep, it's that time again; time to talk about the potential inclusion of non-videogame characters. Are we really talking about the possibility of non-videogame characters again? Haven't we beaten this dead horse enough? It's not happening.
At this point the horses' skeleton have turned to dust and is scattered to the Four Corners of the world. We are merely chasing after the remnants.

Last edited:

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Question, but why are all the "insiders" being so mean-spirited and spiteful toward anyone who disagrees with them?

Can someone verify? But I believe this is Vergeben taking potshots at Papagenos for his video.

I also saw a Twitter thread where Andre from GameExplain took potshots at Grinch***s, comparing them to a Trump rally (and ofc used this opportunity to dump on the president as well).

And then some leaker from ResetERA named Steve taking a dump on PapaGenos for no reason.

And then you have Omni's mental breakdown on Twitter.

I'm sorry, but this makes me lose any and all respect for these people. How can you demand respect, when you're behaving in such a way, plus, such smug and spiteful attitude is totally unwarranted. Especially since PapaGenos has done nothing to deserve such treatment from these people. People are discussing leaks, yet the people labeling everyone they don't agree with as "toxic" are the very ones getting overly worked up about this, and propagating actual toxic behaviour.
I wouldn’t call Omni an insider. He’s just some random dude that got clout off of one half convincing fake leak and now thinks he’s the be all end all of all fake leaks. He has no inside information whatsoever he just hates the possibility of being wrong.

As for anybody attacking Papagenos that’s just ridiculous. If you feel that he’s wrong then contact him yourself and share info. He doesn’t need to be harassed.

And I’m surprised it took Verge this long to completely flip ****

beans

Smash Lord
IMO I think background changes are subjective evidence, only working if you believe they wouldnt change the background.
In before, "Why would they change the background?", why couldnt they?
Not meaning to use this as an argument, just throwing this out

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Could someone posted a rundown of what's happened with the leak and what Mystic has said since last night?
Mystic is claiming that Isaac, Ken, and Chorus Kids are likely playable, but one of the other banner characters is actually an assist trophy...
Also, he privated his Twitter

Last edited:

Kawaki&Boruto98

Smash Apprentice
so when we buy the game we won't immediately have all characters unlocked. i'm curious to what ways do we unlock the charracters. and i hope it doesn't take time i want to play with the inklings ASAP

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
MY GOD the stress from not knowing if this leak is real has actually given me zits.
Also. Is anyone else actually surprised that Sakurai hasn't even considered Transformers and/or ponies for Smash yet, given the amazing relationship between Hasbro and Nintendo? I mean, look at Monopoly Gamer, that's a thing now and so far it's only Nintendo-based.
The banner/Grinch leak is real, bro. All of the industry insiders are resorting to damage control because they have outdated info and/or are trying to downplay the leak to keep hype up for Nintendo.

D

Deleted member

Considering that seems to be what the situation may be leading to,
Ken, Shadow, Geno, and Isaac.
This post may age poorly

:4pacman:

Nah you're fine. This is a perfectly reasonable assumption based on what we know. I'm not convinced of anything yet myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'm willing to put actual money down on Incineroar not being in the game at all. Tbh. He'll get a trophy at best. I believe.
TO be fair if thats the case, support inflation for the character caused by the speculation would make DLC VERY possible. Being a trophy didn't stop Mewtwo.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
This post may age poorly

:4pacman:

Nah you're fine. This is a perfectly reasonable assumption based on what we know.
I'm not immune from things aging poorly, Tougon!
I know this as well as anyone else

Especially when Weird Al gets announced, my post will certainly be a little awkward

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
so when we buy the game we won't immediately have all characters unlocked. i'm curious to what ways do we unlock the charracters. and i hope it doesn't take time i want to play with the inklings ASAP
I would imagine it's maybe like previous games. Clearing classic, clearing classic as/with certain people, clearing classic on a certain difficulty, 100 man melee if that's the case, certain events maybe. The possibilities are endless.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
LEAK IS REAL: Somebody took a picture of Eric's workplace lmao

LEAK IS FAKE: Alright guys hear me out hear me out. Somebody posted on 4chan in September and he thought his roster was perfect so he started his masterplan. He first started working on a banner by cutting out every character with precision and keeping the assets. He drew the empty spots in the mural. A month before, he had noticed the exact places where the banner cut so that he could place the characters in these cuts. His work done, he proceeded to look at videos on the internet about marketing and how cardboard cutting companies worked. He landed on a french company and called there to speak to one of the lead designers. He then checked his LinkedIn to make sure that guy had also worked at companies that have dealt with Bandai Namco before. He simulated a workplace along with the tools, printed on receipt papers Autocad commands, photoshopped the marketing blueprints and stamped his mural on there. He then bought plastic paper to make bracelets and designed bracelets with his mural on it. He put industrial adhesive plastic on both sides to make it look more believable. He made more than one bracelet and hid two of them next to the central one under paper on the off-chance that we would look there to find it. When that was done, he looked at the project and asked some friends. They said it wasn't believable enough. In shambles, he got an idea. Of course! The Grinch movie! He started designing renders and keychain-like things with the Grinch in a giftbox on it and put them next to the whole project. He then wrote the name of the employee, making sure that he put enough pressure to make an indentation on the paper so that 4chan could find it. He did one sharpie strike on the upper half and then two sharpie strikes on the lower half so that people would believe he really tried to cross out the name but not quite enough. Then, this absolute madman took a picture and showed it to his friend again. His friend said: ''Nah man, it looks fake, you can't just post that on 4chan''. Destroyed once again by his keen-eyed friend, he got another idea: What if I created another Snapchat and then send it to myself as a video and then take a screenshot. So he did, and then he went on 4chan and posted the picture there, praying, PRAYING that they would bite and that he would get at least 25 (You)'s. Disregard the fact that people with ties to Nintendo are acting extremely weird, please, that's totally irrelevant.
This is not proof for a leak.

Leak is real: Alright guys hear me out. Someone posted a snapchat video under the name of a guy who worked/works for a company with light ties to Bandai Namco. There is no proof that this company (one of the two companies actually, one has already flat out denied involvement with Smash Bros) actually has anything to do with Smash Bros. This 50 year old guy has decided to risk his entire career by leaking information to one of his friends via snapchat. His friend just happens to be someone interested in Smash Bros too (probably someone close to his age) and decides to risk his friend's career by leaking his snapchat video.
After this gets leaked, Nintendo makes an unprecedented move and tells anyone associated with them that they must either ignore the leak, or make videos about it being fake. Even though these sources have previously talked about leaked characters (some whom they thought were real), for some reason Nintendo put its foot down and didn't allow any conversation about this leak (even though game explain actually made TWO videos about this, I keep seeing people lying saying they didn't make any videos about it). Companies like gamexplain know how much trouble with Nintendo they'll get if they step out of line, so they lie to all of their fans, even though this will all be revealed in less than 2 months. They've decided to jeopardize their relationship with their fans. "Insiders" who've been correctly and incorrectly predicting newcomers now all of a sudden aren't allowed to confirm these characters. The fact that they've "leaked" other characters in the game doesn't seem to matter, and now they've decided to become shills for Nintendo. They've all formed a team dedicated to lying and tricking the Smash fans into believing that this leak is fake.

So... none of my argument above actually prove anything.

I see where you're coming from, and I don't deny that there are a lot of coincidences, and that this is complicated (and some of these are reasons why I can't say with 100% certainty the leak is fake), but complication does not disprove something. I've seen very complicated situations for non Smash leaks in the past, and people used very similar arguments.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Everyone here is saying that all we can do now is wait for a Direct as proof... but no one thought of this. What if the Direct is blurry?
Nah, as hilarious as that would be, not even Nintendo is that terrible at broadcasting streams. You'd need an outdated computer from the 90s for that to happen.

If any Sony characters get into smash its because they gone and Sega'd themselves... Which actually is a possibility now..
Mainly Crash and Spyro, natch. Those are the big two contenders.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Also, while the changed background argument is legitimate, a lot of the "changes" have been proven to be the result of the blurry image.
Also, it's possible that blank background was made in-house by the publishing company (using content aware filters) for the purposes of the set-up instructions because they didn't have one, which explains the inconsistencies that can't be explained away (see Skyblade12 Skyblade12 's post on the Isaac thread).
Gotta admit, I don't understand The Pokemon Company's timeline right now.

Like gen 8 is coming out next year, and so that means usually that around Feb-March we will start to see trailers, specifically the first starters. Does the anime normally go up into the next gen release? Because I feel like things like that, as well as Incineroar would be lost in excitement for the new gen.
Yes, the anime usually goes all the way up to the next gen.
I mean after all, the goal of marketing one of their characters would be to sell the game it's from and that's a hard sell when they are also advertising their next upcoming game. It's totally possible, but i think it would be silly of The Pokemon Company. Incineroar definitly feels like a base or bust kind of character *shrug*
I think that ship has already sailed for putting a character in to promote the game they're from (it'd have to be a Gen VIII Pokémon, but it's too early for that).

Putting in a character as DLC to promote their grand entrance in the anime as the main character's ringer, though, that makes sense. (This is actually somewhat similar to the inclusion of Greninja in Smash 4, and the choice to have Charizard on his own, though those two things probably happened because of Sakurai, not the other way around.)

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I think we need to take a step back from the banner and ask ourselves something:

How the **** would CHADondorf know what characters were cut? Why would a random Japanese dev be ****posting on 4chan.
Yeah I've been suspicious of that myself, while I understand each of those characters being cut I don't know how the heck they'd have that knowledge in the first place.
Also regardless of what insiders say, I don't think anyone knows the final roster, not even the banner leak.
Nintendo's pulled out as many stops as they could to halt leaks.
Which makes this speculation period all the more confusing when they've essentially turned it into a giant game of internet happy slaps.
This is like yelling at a movie for not making sense before it's over.
Sounds like every Transformers movie produced by Michael Bay. Get him the rights to a Smash one don't actually that man has tarnished my childhood five times over
Work going up in smoke is nothing new. Brawl had a whopping 7 cut characters with Mewtwo and Roy having decent evidence that they were cut later on. There's the chance that Rare lied about the timing of a meeting too considering that Sega and Capcom basically did the same thing about Sonic and Megaman before their respective debuts. Where's this meeting with Microsoft talk coming from anyways because I've just been seeing it in the last hour or so?
Phil Spencer mentioned during an interview at E3 2018 that he "went to lunch with Nintendo", which some people believe is how Banjo got into the roster late.
https://twitter.com/KantoPancakes/status/1056724709549719552

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So here's a question. Let's say Incineroar gets revealed next and the banner is confirmed fake when the person who made it steps forward. Not everyone, but a few insiders think there could be a few characters on the banner who are actually in Smash.

Ken is guaranteed regardless, and Shadow is also extremely likely.

Isaac would definitely be one of them if the new item from that Wendy's clip really is Growth Psynergy, although we can't say for certain if it is.

Geno could be another one as a Square rep remains ever likely, and he's the prime candidate for that role, although I'm sure the different insiders have received different names due to how Square is trying to protect the character, so not all of them would say he's the one. It could be the case that he'd be early DLC though as we're talking about quite a few newcomers at this point.

Mach Rider would pretty much be dead in the water, and while Chorus Kids wouldn't be impossible I'd find their chances far slimmer. Banjo I don't think would be on the base roster, but I do feel like he'd almost be an inevitability as DLC.

Last edited:

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman

Fortnite4Smash

Smash Apprentice
IMO I think background changes are subjective evidence, only working if you believe they wouldnt change the background.
In before, "Why would they change the background?", why couldnt they?
Not meaning to use this as an argument, just throwing this out
Some guy on here made a huge post and basically debunked that argument.

EDIT: The argument that the leaker faked the background cause some details are different

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
just to be sure there is this so call leak... but i say its a 99.98% fake View attachment 173256
View attachment 173257
View attachment 173258
only question is who is the purple character underneth kingKrool ?
It looks like Coldsteel the Hedgehog... lol

Ken - Already been possibly leaked, Being the og echo
Shadow - His assist trophy being nowhere to be seen
Isaac - the sprout item, being highly requested
Chorus Kids - Planned for Smash 4, Ditto and Sukapon prove that Sakurai is revisiting cut contenet

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
just to be sure there is this so call leak... but i say its a 99.98% fake View attachment 173256
View attachment 173257
View attachment 173258
only question is who is the purple character underneth kingKrool ?
https://twitter.com/bakufu1867/status/1056609533970276352?ref_src=twsrc^tfw and here is the link.
Aside from the fact that Waluigi's in there, I believe that most, if not all, of the new characters in that banner are the Smashified renders or generic artwork (like Maxwell from Scribblenauts, who's on the far left and next to Dr. Mario). The purple character is Shantae's Smashified render.

What makes the Grinch leak so controversial is that these character images haven't been seen before.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Nah, as hilarious as that would be, not even Nintendo is that terrible at broadcasting streams. You'd need an outdated computer from the 90s for that to happen.

Mainly Crash and Spyro, natch. Those are the big two contenders.
Watch smash add them Sora Dante Lara and be the better version of PS All Stars.

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
It looks like Coldsteel the Hedgehog... lol

Ken - Already been possibly leaked
Shadow - His assist trophy being nowhere to be seen
Isaac - the sprout item, being highly requested
Chorus Kids - Planned for Smash 4, Ditto and Sukapon prove that Sakurai is revisiting cut contenet
HEH,this is nothing quite personal.......kid

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I wouldn’t call Omni an insider. He’s just some random dude that got clout off of one half convincing fake leak and now thinks he’s the be all end all of all fake leaks. He has no inside information whatsoever he just hates the possibility of being wrong.
A "half convincing leak" that was going to get addressed by Ubisoft themselves.

He's also a professional graphics designer, which makes him a perfect fit for analyzing visual leaks; and with how many people come to him asking for his take on every single one, it makes sense that he'd address ones that are catching on. Hence the Grinch leak, where he's been giving his own analysis and thoughts (though lessened a lot the past couple days due to people like you attacking/dismissing him as some nobody with an ego).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom