• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fablemad

Smash Journeyman
This is not proof for a leak.

Leak is real: Alright guys hear me out. Someone posted a snapchat video under the name of a guy who worked/works for a company with light ties to Bandai Namco. There is no proof that this company (one of the two companies actually, one has already flat out denied involvement with Smash Bros) actually has anything to do with Smash Bros. This 50 year old guy has decided to risk his entire career by leaking information to one of his friends via snapchat. His friend just happens to be someone interested in Smash Bros too (probably someone close to his age) and decides to risk his friend's career by leaking his snapchat video.
After this gets leaked, Nintendo makes an unprecedented move and tells anyone associated with them that they must either ignore the leak, or make videos about it being fake. Even though these sources have previously talked about leaked characters (some whom they thought were real), for some reason Nintendo put its foot down and didn't allow any conversation about this leak (even though game explain actually made TWO videos about this, I keep seeing people lying saying they didn't make any videos about it). Companies like gamexplain know how much trouble with Nintendo they'll get if they step out of line, so they lie to all of their fans, even though this will all be revealed in less than 2 months. They've decided to jeopardize their relationship with their fans. "Insiders" who've been correctly and incorrectly predicting newcomers now all of a sudden aren't allowed to confirm these characters. The fact that they've "leaked" other characters in the game doesn't seem to matter, and now they've decided to become shills for Nintendo. They've all formed a team dedicated to lying and tricking the Smash fans into believing that this leak is fake.

So... none of my argument above actually prove anything.

I see where you're coming from, and I don't deny that there are a lot of coincidences, and that this is complicated (and some of these are reasons why I can't say with 100% certainty the leak is fake), but complication does not disprove something. I've seen very complicated situations for non Smash leaks in the past, and people used very similar arguments.
You're absolutely right my man. The point of my post was more to show that IMO there is still a small possibility that it is fake, but the steps taken to achieve this are absolutely overwhelming. The fact that I can write that text proves that it IS a possible thing to do, although I myself doubt it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Phil Spencer mentioned during an interview at E3 2018 that he "went to lunch with Nintendo", which some people believe is how Banjo got into the roster late.
https://twitter.com/KantoPancakes/status/1056724709549719552
JESUS HAM FLAPPIN' CHRIST PEOPLE... Developers can literally just go out to lunch with other developers... Plus, I'm pretty confident that this wasn't meant as a "wink wink nudge nudge" given I don't think a major developer would drop such a giant blatant hint. Guys... Come on... Like I said earlier, Sega, Capcom, and, now that I remember, Platinum too all repeatedly flat out lied or dodged the question about their characters in Smash up until their releases. This lunch was probably just a lunch and if plans were made for Banjo, they probably were made years ago and were kept under wraps.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Haven't been on since yesterday so I don't know if anyone has seen this, but.

A Nintendo emplyee was spotted at the London Comic-Con in the Nintendo booth to carry a Grinch poster. I don't think it's more evidence pointing to the leak being real, but just thought it was funny.
Presumably some fan that was aware of the leak left it there.

Lot of advertisement going on for the movie, to the point where even some of the passes had Grinch on them.

G Rank Zinogre

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sgt. ZinogreVolt
Incineroar's timing is one of the reasons I kinda have a hard time fathoming his addition. Lucario and Greninja were added when Gens 4 and 6 were in their prime, all of the Gen 1 Pokémon are some of the series' most iconic Pokémon, and Pichu was added likely because he was a lot easier to put in, and Gen 3 was still a ways off. Incineroar has starter status and it's a Pokémon that looks like it can fight. But Sun/Moon's time is just about up with LGPE around the corner, and Gen 8 being next year. All Incineroar really has right now is the anime.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Just woke up. What is going on?
A source is claiming that one of the characters in the grinch leak is actually an assist, but he's confident that Chorus Kids, Ken, and Isaac are playable

A Nintendo emplyee was spotted at the London Comic-Con in the Nintendo booth to carry a Grinch poster. I don't think it's more evidence pointing to the leak being real, but just thought it was funny.
I head that the movie sponsored the event or something...

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
It’s because it spreaded it like wildfire. But in hindsight the leak wasn’t that convincing at all lol. The fact that the Rayman had literally no announcer was the biggest red flag. It’s a fake leak that’s a product of its time, but it has aged very badly.

And I’m not even dismissing Omni, I’m just saying he can act pretentious as **** towards these things. I appreciate his input and all and his credentials are legit but acting like he can’t be an ******* is kind of dumb.
Everything's clearer in hindsight; what it did get was a lot of attention and it fooled many.

Seems like you're projecting here; having watched his breakdown and how he's laid out things on twitter, he's been pretty straightforward and to the point.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
This is not proof for a leak.

Leak is real: Alright guys hear me out. Someone posted a snapchat video under the name of a guy who worked/works for a company with light ties to Bandai Namco. There is no proof that this company (one of the two companies actually, one has already flat out denied involvement with Smash Bros) actually has anything to do with Smash Bros. This 50 year old guy has decided to risk his entire career by leaking information to one of his friends via snapchat. His friend just happens to be someone interested in Smash Bros too (probably someone close to his age) and decides to risk his friend's career by leaking his snapchat video.
After this gets leaked, Nintendo makes an unprecedented move and tells anyone associated with them that they must either ignore the leak, or make videos about it being fake. Even though these sources have previously talked about leaked characters (some whom they thought were real), for some reason Nintendo put its foot down and didn't allow any conversation about this leak (even though game explain actually made TWO videos about this, I keep seeing people lying saying they didn't make any videos about it). Companies like gamexplain know how much trouble with Nintendo they'll get if they step out of line, so they lie to all of their fans, even though this will all be revealed in less than 2 months. They've decided to jeopardize their relationship with their fans. "Insiders" who've been correctly and incorrectly predicting newcomers now all of a sudden aren't allowed to confirm these characters. The fact that they've "leaked" other characters in the game doesn't seem to matter, and now they've decided to become shills for Nintendo. They've all formed a team dedicated to lying and tricking the Smash fans into believing that this leak is fake.

So... none of my argument above actually prove anything.

I see where you're coming from, and I don't deny that there are a lot of coincidences, and that this is complicated (and some of these are reasons why I can't say with 100% certainty the leak is fake), but complication does not disprove something. I've seen very complicated situations for non Smash leaks in the past, and people used very similar arguments.
You're assuming that the 50-year-old guy would even be aware that leaking via Snapchat would be a huge deal.

Kagrenac

Smash Cadet
Person with a source gets one thing right but 2 other things wrong

WOAH HE'S CREDIBLE

Bamco literally states they give out false info to snuff out leakers meaning any character that does not have proof could be a red-herring

LET'S CONTINUE TO FEED THIS GUY

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Considering that seems to be what the situation may be leading to,
Ken, Shadow, Geno, and Isaac.
I could probably take this one step further and say what my guess for the Smash Direct is, in order:

START
[Isaac Trailer and Info]
[Ken]
[Shadow]
[Items]
[Stages]
[Single Player]
[Incineroar Trailer]
END

With a minor presentation later in that month for Geno. OR, this will be the first (and last) direct to reveal three uniques (and my preferred situation).

START
[Isaac Trailer and Info]
[Ken]
[Shadow]
[Items]
[Stages]
[Incineroar Trailer]
[Single Player]
[Geno Trailer]
END

Fortnite4Smash

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm really starting to dislike Vergeben, not because of the Grinch leak, but because of his language and how rude he can be in his posts. There's no need for him to act like that. And I have nothing against Omni, but he sounds like he's a bit smug and maybe a little cocky too (maybe). PapaGenos is still great though. He's one of the only people with "inside info" that has been level-headed this whole time and hasn't flipped.
It is kind of annoying how they behave including Gamexplain, but no one deserves that kinda toxicity.

Omni's replies were flooded with people being total assholes to him, when all he was doing is just providing evidence that it could be fake. He wasn't even sure himself if it was fake.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
We do have some specialized threads just gathering dust in the General Discussion forum. Perhaps moving some subjects to the appropriate threads would slow down the absurd pace of this one.

Devil's Advocate: wouldnt he be under some sort of NDA?
You assume that he would be aware of how serious an NDA is. He knows nothing about gaming culture, let alone Smash Bros. How is he going to know just how much a poster full of colorful cartoony guys is gonna blow up?!?

Last edited:

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
So let's assume the leak is real, regardless of where you stand on it. Which character you think gets revealed first and who is last?

I think Isaac is first up, a fan pleasing character but not too outrageous. Last one has to be Banjo. Big final third party reveal is easily the most hyped character of those in the leak.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'm all but certain that CHADondorf and the Grinch are unrelated, especially if the Grinch is real.

There were soooo many text based leaks. One of them was going to line up with the real one (or the super intricate fake one). A million monkeys with computers will eventually type the works of shakespear... And the complete smash ultimate roster. If some other text leak had written the same roster, with or without "cuts", we'd be having the same conversation about it anyway.
It's hilariously ironic that the guy claiming "all the other fake leaks are broken clocks" might have been a broken clock himself all along.

For those who aren't native English Speakers, it's a reference to the proverb "A broken clock is right twice a day" (or, "a stopped clock is right twice a day"), it means "A normally unreliable person or instrument can occasionally provide correct information, even if only by accident".

EDIT: Wiktionary, which I pulled that definition from, links to "even a blind pig can find an acorn once in a while" (meaning: Being right once doesn't prove anything), which I've never heard before but love. :laugh:

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A

I'm just going to go ahead and link you to the page this was first posted on last week just cause of the hilarious knee-jerk reactions.

https://smashboards.com/threads/sma...rs-leaks-ahead.434391/page-6284#post-22600697

It was a London Comic Con event sponsored by the Grinch movie btw.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
So, how about bosses for the Grinch Gang characters?

BK- Obviously Grunty, they could even do a phase fight using her skeleton form.

Ken- Id like to see an M Bison fight. Most bosses are huge, but, M Bisom is pretty tall, and they could beef him up a little bit more to balancr him, I guess.

Shadow- Eggman. Give him a wrecking ball, the Egg robot, anything.

Geno- Axem Rangers? Smithy is a good option too.

I havent played GS or RH, and I dont remember any bosses in Mach Rider, so id love to see some creative ideas here.

CaPtAiNInSaN0

Smash Rookie
I've been a guest watching this thread on and off for a few months now, but this leak has convinced me to actually post. So hi.

Leak aside though, since that's such a rabbit hole at this point, if the leak is fake, who do you guys think the retro rep would be?
On the topic of a retro rep other than Mach Rider, I really don't know who else they could use. I would say Takamaru, but he's an assist trophy. Unrelated entirely, that profile picture is top tier.

Potato_

Smash Lord
just to be sure there is this so call leak... but i say its a 99.98% fake View attachment 173256
View attachment 173257
View attachment 173258
only question is who is the purple character underneth kingKrool ?
https://twitter.com/bakufu1867/status/1056609533970276352?ref_src=twsrc^tfw and here is the link.
>Maxwell from Scribblenauts

100% fake due to how much they copied the Grinch leak (I'd go as far as to say that was the leaker's intention, to show how easy it is to make a similar leak) but goddamn it, Maxwell would be so cool.

TallT

Smash Apprentice
so when we buy the game we won't immediately have all characters unlocked. i'm curious to what ways do we unlock the charracters. and i hope it doesn't take time i want to play with the inklings ASAP
If you have the Inkling amiibo you can scan that and play as them right from the beginning. This works for all characters in the game.

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
So let's assume the leak is real, regardless of where you stand on it. Which character you think gets revealed first and who is last?

I think Isaac is first up, a fan pleasing character but not too outrageous. Last one has to be Banjo. Big final third party reveal is easily the most hyped character of those in the leak.
Geno and Banjo would be last. Isaac would probably be first.

The filler characters like Chorus Kids, Mach Rider, and the two echoes would go in the middle because they aren't as important

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Where's Waluigi?
The characters I see in there are:
-Maxwell (generic artwork) - far left, next to Dr. Mario
-Banjo-Kazooie (Smashified artwork) - between Sonic and Greninja
-Shantae (Smashified artwork) - to the left of Little Mac
-Chef Boyardee (though it could be Swedish Chef from the Muppets) - below Ganondorf
-Bandanna Dee - between Pokemon Trainer and Squirtle
-Waluigi - between Dedede and Robin

Obviously, it's a fake leak; I assume it was made to show that it's possible for someone to fake the Grinch leak,, though it kind of misses the point of why the Grinch leak caught on.

Last edited:

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Anyways side discussion time: what do you make of Sheik in Ultimate? From what I gathered from experiences of those who tried her:

-She lost invincibility on startup for Up B
-She lost her throw combos due to increased BKB
-Bouncing Fish is slower but slightly stronger
-Needles take longer to charge & you can't really take advantage of jumping needle charge anymore
-Her bair is back from previous iterations
-She can cross up with uair
-She is prone to getting outtraded by other chars' aerials

I'm optimistic that the increased KB for 1v1 is going to help her, and that she will be one of the better punishers of air dodges

Last edited:

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Hey, to anyone with good photoshop, can you make my PFP into Grinch or Geno? I have been seeing grinchized PFPs lately and I want to join grinch train. This is off topic by the way. Feel free to ignore this but I just want someone to do editing of my pfp.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
On the topic of a retro rep other than Mach Rider, I really don't know who else they could use. I would say Takamaru, but he's an assist trophy. Unrelated entirely, that profile picture is top tier.
Not really any First Party characters aside from Mach Rider who'd fill the obscure retro rep quota..

Potato_

Smash Lord
A new leak trying to ride the coattails of the Grinch one, but they goofed up by putting Chef Boyardee in it.
"Oh damn! I accidentaly put Chef Boyardee in my fake leak!"

Yeah, no. He did it on purpose, probably to show how with blurriness like that it's easy to just pass over certain details. I didn't even notice him at first glance.

This dude is trying to show how easy it'd be to make a Grinch type leak, I'd bet. We had people like Vaan and Omni saying it'd take them like a weekend to do, and this guy seems to have proved it really wouldn't take long.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
It is kind of annoying how they behave including Gamexplain, but no one deserves that kinda toxicity.

Omni's replies were flooded with people being total ******** to him, when all he was doing is just providing evidence that it could be fake. He wasn't even sure himself if it was fake.
Yeah, Andre could've worded his Grinch leak post better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom