• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I disagree, they just need to adapt. Their consoles are very innovative.
Eh, I guess. The Switch and Wii are cool, but I wouldn't call the Gamecube innovative as much as I like it Nintendo has just become very hit and miss with buisness. I like Nintendo only for their games, and that's it.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Imagine being the one who posted the pic of the box on that godforsaken day and said

"y'all notice that pattern"

Not knowing what your actions will cause
I forget who first posted it, but I remember how it started.

There's a blank spot here and a blank spot there, what if there's only one fighter and one echo left lol

Yeah...
WHAT IF???...

Polan

Smash Lord
You guys gotta understand Nintendo is only good at one thing: making games. That is it. They can't supply or properly stock products, they can't make a decent online, they think friend codes are cool, and they couldn't care less about trends in the gaming industry.
i'm so mad that nintendo isn't following great industry trends like checks notes glorified gambling, microtransactions and predatory games-as-a-service models.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
i'm so mad that nintendo isn't following great industry trends like checks notes glorified gambling and predatory games-as-a-service models.
You're equating Nintendo not being as ****tily out of date with some features as following cancerous trends of today.

****, I'm tired of this logic.
These two are NOT THE SAME.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
i'm so mad that nintendo isn't following great industry trends like checks notes glorified gambling and predatory games-as-a-service models.
Honestly that's something I like about them, but I only outlined it because it goes to show how disconnected they are with the industry or anything outside game design

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
You guys gotta understand Nintendo is only good at one thing: making games. That is it. They can't supply or properly stock products, they can't make a decent online, they think friend codes are cool, and they couldn't care less about trends in the gaming industry. Not a knock on them but the fact is the only thing this company can do is make good games. They suck at everything else. Including marketing.
The problem is that Nintendo is able to get away with things like the poor online because they have many hardcore fanboys who are willing to defend all of their decisions and attack anyone who dares criticize them. I like Nintendo, but I can admit when they screw up.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
The user was warned for off-topic spamming.
I was just looking around MSN with no reason, and I just can't take this face seriously for one bit XD:

This guys face.....jpg

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Bethesda actually does seem likely the more I think about it. They've supported the Switch in a huge way, Skyrim was featured in the very first Switch reveal trailer, and "portable Skyrim" was actually a pretty big selling point for some people. And then they just kept coming with the ports, Doom, Wolfenstein.

And I mean, Pete Hines literally did just come out and say it.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
You're refusing to get a game just because one tiny detail was removed? If anything, you're the baby that's crying. Nintendo was simply trying to protect its family-friendly image.
Holy ****, if you actually read a few messages later you’d see I was just messing. For Christ sakes.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, I feel like this cycle 'COULD' have gone better if people had just 'accepted' that 'yeah, box theory is probably right'.

But despite being told THREE times that "Not that many newcomers!", it felt like people always defaulted to:

"Sakurai's trolling us! He showed us FIVE characters last time, he's just messing with us!~"

And then Grinch leak happened and.....yeah.

I think this cycle will hopefully teach people to keep their expectations in check.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Its a small thing for a character I'm rarely going to even use, so I couldn't care less about it being changed..its not something even important to the character itself..
It was a joke, I literally said it later. How many pages was this back?

D

Deleted member

You're refusing to get a game just because one tiny detail was removed? If anything, you're the baby that's crying. Nintendo was simply trying to protect its family-friendly image.
Uh, didn't that person in question say he was joking?
EDIT: Ah, :ultgreninja:'d. First time that's happened to me too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calane

Smash Ace
Its a small thing for a character I'm rarely going to even use, so I couldn't care less about it being changed..its not something even important to the character itself..

I guess? But when it comes to Dragon Quest, I just can't feel that the main player characters are the most popular characters, most people will choose the secondary characters as their favorites, which may be part of why the Player Characters are never used in Crossover titles like the three Fortune Street games featuring Dragon Quest (2 with Final Fantasy, 1 with Mario) and the 2 Dragon Quest Heroes games.

I'd also rather have a secondary character because they'd offer something more unique then another sword wielder. Now I don't mind sword wielders, but its hard to argue against a more unique weapon type over yet another sword.

That said, I'd be fine with Dragon Quest III or IV's protagonist if only because both have female player options that could be used akin to Robin and Corrin.
1: The DQ Heroes are indeed popular. To prove it, a couple heroes popped up in a "favorite DQ character" poll sometime in 2010. Erdrick, the hero of DQ3, even won the entire thing. Check it out: https://nintendoeverything.com/japa...choose-their-favorite-game-monster-character/

2: The heroes have appeared in a crossover before. You claim that they've never appeared in the Fortune Street (or Itadaki Street) series, but what if I told you they have? Look up "Itadaki Street Special". Some of the heroes are in there. Here's Abel (DQ5 Hero) standing next to Cloud:
itadakistpsx_032.jpg
Oh, and the Dragon Quest Heroes games had their own "hero" characters, so they probably didn't add any of the main series heroes for that reason. I do believe some of them were referenced a couple times by some of the characters, though.

3: I see your point about sword wielders, but I don't think that'd be too much of a problem. They have plenty of spells and skills to pull from that'd make them unique. If I can come up with a unique moveset for most of them without even thinking about it too hard, I'm sure Sakurai could as well.

4: Not sure how having female options make them more acceptable when you seem to be pretty against them otherwise, but okay.

...And I guess that's about all I have to say. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, so I hope I didn't come off as such.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Uh, didn't that person in question say he was joking?
EDIT: Ah, :ultgreninja:'d. First time that's happened to me too.
It makes me mad because, that was from page 7586 or something and we are at 7721. Like if your reading wayyyyyy back there then please keep reading LOL

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Congrats to them on making the only theory this cycle that wasn't utter bull**** in the end, lol
b-b-bu-but Blog Theory is based on math! Just look at the spreadsheet! We're going to get 5 more newcomers MINIMUM!

Last edited:

Polan

Smash Lord
Honestly that's something I like about them, but I only outlined it because it goes to show how disconnected they are with the industry or anything outside game design
yeah, i'm glad that they aren't fully kowtowing the industry line. any industry where exemplary companies like EA and Activision are considered leaders can **** off. unfortunately, they are still following the industry in other regards, (paid online, dlc). can't win them all unfortunately.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Also, just a reminder.
Don't do this:

Leakers, real or fake, are still people. Let's not be jerks to them or try to witch hunt them off the internet.
Some of them, outside of leaks, are just as big of fans of smash as we are.
others, like hitagi, don't really care too much for smash and are just sharing info because they have some and people are asking.
supposedly, anyway.
Jesus H. Christ... Don't these morons have anything better to do? It's always "Vergeben this", "Hitagi that", and a bunch of unnecessary name-calling here and there for leakers who aren't out to hurt anyone. Even if some of them are attention-seekers, verbally lynching them is childish and stupid. They should grow the **** up and move on. Buncha immature a-holes thinking there are sides to pick...

Honestly, I feel sorry for Vergeben. Sure, their track record for leaking multiple games isn't perfect, but all the gossip pertaining him is so overblown. If he was such a prick, he'd act like it, but he doesn't display the attitude his detractors try to paint him in. W/e, maybe the haters will undergo toxic shock from the salt in their blood. Good riddance.

Shroob

Sup?
b-b-bu-but Blog Theory is based on math! Just look at the spreadsheet! We're going to get 5 more newcomers MINIMUM!

Remember when one of the creators of blog theory came into the leak thread and was a huge prick to anyone who DARED not believe their theory because "The math says"?

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Jesus H. Christ... Don't these morons have anything better to do? It's always "Vergeben this", "Hitagi that", and a bunch of unnecessary name-calling here and there for leakers who aren't out to hurt anyone. Even if some of them are attention-seekers, verbally lynching them is childish and stupid. They should grow the **** up and move on. Buncha immature a-holes thinking there are sides to pick...

Honestly, I feel sorry for Vergeben. Sure, their track record for leaking multiple games isn't perfect, but all the gossip pertaining him is so overblown. If he was such a prick, he'd act like it, but he doesn't display the attitude his detractors try to paint him in. W/e, maybe the haters will undergo toxic shock from the salt in their blood. Good riddance.
That many TV Tropes links...

You want me to lose an entire day of my life just browsing different tropes, don't you?!

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
1: The DQ Heroes are indeed popular. To prove it, a couple heroes popped up in a "favorite DQ character" poll sometime in 2010. Erdrick, the hero of DQ3, even won the entire thing. Check it out: https://nintendoeverything.com/japa...choose-their-favorite-game-monster-character/

2: The heroes have appeared in a crossover before. You claim that they've never appeared in the Fortune Street (or Itadaki Street) series, but what if I told you they have? Look up "Itadaki Street Special". Some of the heroes are in there. Here's Abel (DQ5 Hero) standing next to Cloud:
View attachment 177204
Oh, and the Dragon Quest Heroes games had their own "hero" characters, so they probably didn't add any of the main series heroes for that reason. I do believe some of them were referenced a couple times by some of the characters, though.

3: I see your point about sword wielders, but I don't think that'd be too much of a problem. They have plenty of spells and skills to pull from that'd make them unique. If I can come up with a unique moveset for most of them without even thinking about it too hard, I'm sure Sakurai could as well.

4: Not sure how having female options make them more acceptable when you seem to be pretty against them otherwise, but okay.

...And I guess that's about all I have to say. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, so I hope I didn't come off as such.
Thing is that's Squenix crossing over WITH ITSELF.

WAY different then DQ crossing over with another company.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Remember when one of the creators of blog theory came into the leak thread and was a huge prick to anyone who DARED not believe their theory because "The math says"?
That only makes it funnier when he was proven wrong. At the very least I'm sure he's full from all that crow he ate.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
People celebrating that the remaining roster was small, and that Nintendo screwed up so bad that they released a render from which you could deduce the entire rest of the roster, seems a little distasteful.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Honestly, I feel like this cycle 'COULD' have gone better if people had just 'accepted' that 'yeah, box theory is probably right'.

But despite being told THREE times that "Not that many newcomers!", it felt like people always defaulted to:

"Sakurai's trolling us! He showed us FIVE characters last time, he's just messing with us!~"

I think this cycle will hopefully teach people to keep their expectations in check.
We've been through this song and dance three times already (four if you've been through this since Melee).
We'll probably be back at square one again come next Smash...

Polan

Smash Lord

the only reason why i was anti-box was because of vergeben's fabled SE newcomer. i really felt that all the characters that he mentioned were all going to be on the base roster. and then sakurai came out and piledrived my expectations with that direct. i'm still curious about him knowing about a supposed dlc character that early on though. was sakurai fibbing when he said that the dlc characters were barely being started on? and is the SE rep far enough in development that word got out?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

I'd like to note Verg has said some nasty things on his own before.

That said, I agree with your point. It solves nothing and just makes matters worse to be an ass to leakers. It's fine that you don't want to hear about them, or be leaked, as you like to find out things the regular way and all. That's fair. It doesn't excuse the attitude displayed towards them. You can have an opinion without the vitriol.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
People celebrating that the remaining roster was small, and that Nintendo screwed up so bad that they released a render from which you could deduce the entire rest of the roster, seems a little distasteful.
I don't think anyone unironically wants less content. They were just happy that the people who attacked them and Incineroar fans for not believing in the Grinch leak were put in their place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom