• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Why are people so against a Dragon Quest hero being playable. Doesn't make sense lol.
Cause they dont want a character from a games series they never played take over the chances of their fav character from being playable lol
Pretty much.

At this point, I wouldn't mind any rep from any series. Mostly because I got all my major favourites that had a reasonable chance, especially Simon/Richter. Although I would love Monster Hunter in as a playable character. But I'm fine if it doesn't.

Shroob

Sup?
Alright, since this speculation cycle is over, I guess it's time to come clean.

I'm papagenos papagenos original source. I am NOT his Microsoft source, I'm the one who told him about Spirits and how they function.

Much like him, I was approached by someone, though for me it was via Discord, who was VERY forceful on pawning this info off on me. I don't know 'who' this person is nor would I remember them since it was from, back in September? August?, but I told him what I had been told by them, which was "Spirits are like Stickers, also Kencineroar is truth."

I didn't necessarily 'believe' it, but at the same time, in the end, it ended up being true so, eh? I have really no idea why that Discord fella spilled their guts to me but..... okay I guess.

So yeah, I'm his OG source, and he can back up what I have to say. I didn't know anything else besides the Spirit thing and Kencineroar, which seemed to be more or less gospel by that point.

D

Deleted member

I'm papagenos papagenos original source. I am NOT his Microsoft source, I'm the one who told him about Spirits and how they function.

Much like him, I was approached by someone, though for me it was via Discord, who was VERY forceful on pawning this info off on me. I don't know 'who' this person is nor would I remember them since it was from, back in September? August?, but I told him what I had been told by them, which was "Spirits are like Stickers, also Kencineroar is truth."

I didn't necessarily 'believe' it, but at the same time, in the end, it ended up being true so, eh? I have really no idea why that Discord fella spilled their guts to me but..... okay I guess.

So yeah, I'm his OG source, and he can back up what I have to say. I didn't know anything else besides the Spirit thing and Kencineroar, which seemed to be more or less gospel by that point.
Is this legit or an elabrotate joke?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Bring the Discord dude back ask him about Dragonborn LOLZERS

Well played Shroob

NineS

Smash Lord

I never would've guessed it was someone right under our noses.
That's actually kind of interesting to hear.

So, what was it like being a second-hand/third-hand leaker?
And what made you tell papa?

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

This is true.

Shroob

Sup?
I never would've guessed it was someone right under our noses.
That's actually kind of interesting to hear.

So, what was it like being a second-hand/third-hand leaker?
And what made you tell papa?
I like Papa, think he's a swell guy, and since I knew he had a wide audience, I thought he'd be a good way to get this info 'out there'.

Shroob

Sup?
I was referring more to what made you tell him despite not entirely believing the leak at the time.
Still, this is all kind of interesting to hear.
Pizzaman had a very similar video, though it didn't get anywhere near the amount of views.

I figured "Hey, not a lot of people are covering this, despite what seems like something that's floating around via people in 'the know', so why not get the biggest Smash-leak tuber to cover it?

I've had my 'disagreements' with him in the past over say, the Gothitelle leak, but I like Papa, and knew he'd be able to get it to a large audience.

Noipoi

Howdy!
This whole time Shroob was a leaker?

Man, what a twist! This season barely started and we've already got crazy plot developments!

Pakky

Smash Hero
I like Papa, think he's a swell guy, and since I knew he had a wide audience, I thought he'd be a good way to get this info 'out there'.
Okay well, now I've got to ask, (opportunities like these are rare this is my first) were any of my ramblings about anyone close to anything you've heard?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Okay well, now I've got to ask, were any of my ramblings about anyone close to anything you've heard?
Like I said, literally one day some weirdo hit me up on Discord and told me "Spirits are like stickers. Also Vergeben is right" and that was it, they vanished after that.

Considering there was ALREADY a video of Spirits=Stickers via Pizzaman out there, I assumed that this was something going around, but it didn't have a lot of exposure.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Pfft...

There's like a PM of 15 frequent users of this thread who know about secret stuff.

They knew the final roster in August.

Real info is all over the place. Most people just don't make it public because they don't want to become hated by assholes or they don't think it's worth the potential danger.

That said... Shroob should probably not give any details beyond that. Just a hint.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Pfft...

There's like a PM of 15 frequent users of this thread who know about secret stuff.

Real info is all over the place. Most people just don't make it public because they don't want to become hated by ******** or they don't think it's worth the potential danger.
Which is why we didn't buy the Grinch leak for a moment, eh Swamp?

NineS

Smash Lord
Pfft...

Real info is all over the place. Most people just don't make it public because they don't want to become hated by ******** or they don't think it's worth the potential danger.

That said... Shroob should probably not give any details beyond that. Just a hint.
Now that I know there's a chance that that many frequenters of this thread have secret info
I cannot unlearn this and my curiosity grows, and as does my desire to have my ignorant bliss torn away from me in an instant.

They say ignorance is bliss, but it is only so as long as you lack curiosity. Now that I have found my curiosity, ignorance has become more torturous than it has ever been before.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
But really, I legit don't know anything else.

Weirdo contacted me, I contacted Papa.

That's about the end of the story.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Of course, now that this is public I will use this info to screw with you all.

Because learning info at all is a fluke and we will know nothing about DLC.

So please don't even try.

Pakky

Smash Hero
So if I told you I work at Mircosoft as a vfx artist how many of you would you believe me?

Just curious.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Alright Shroob Shroob ! I know you've got more info, you can't hide it from me!
If you kindly give me the names of every dlc character i'll bake you three and a half cookies!

Shroob

Sup?
I still question why that dude spilled his guts to me, or how he'd even know in the first place.

Then I remembered that Piranha Plant leaked in September according to 4chan and realize that the 'behind the scenes' scene this time must have been a **** show of leaks.

Though I will admit, even though I outright called myself #TeamHmmmm, I really did think the Grinch Leak was fake and Verg was right due to this. It's not every day you get an experience like this.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
For me, I have more experience with Slime and its vast moveset potential. I only was able to really play DQ 1, 2, and two of DQ Monster games. None of the Heroes stand out to me as much as Slime does to me. I never had an issue with the whole "bleh, generic character" when it came to Slime. At one point, I had that mindset, but then I realized that I can't really say that and be fine with any Pokemon(who are all generic monsters in the exact same way). Never mind that Slime is equivalent to Pikachu when it comes to being a mascot and a full character depending the game. Literally the same role as Pikachu in the anime at times too(being a major character, partner of the more generic playable hero).

Besides that, they aren't as well known as the general Pokemon Trainer class, which is what was chosen for Brawl, but even he(and now she if you choose) isn't directly playable. The Pokemon are. Dragon Quest has always had a serious focus on how important the Monsters are to the series. The Heroes/Classes still play their respective role, of course, but people know Dragon Quest because of more than who you play as(and in many cases, not many remember who they are. Some barely know who Erdrick is since he wasn't even playable in the first game alone, just mentioned. He's not that easy to remember compared to the mascot of the series).
I respect your opinion, but I have to disagree with it. Heavily.

The monsters are a part of the series' charm, but they're not as important as the characters, worlds, and stories. That's what makes DQ games memorable, not necessarily the monsters you face along the way. I can understand none of the heroes standing out to you if you've never played any of the main series games past 1 and 2, but I can assure you that they're far more important, and representative of the series as a whole than the random Slimes you defeat on your way through each game.

I've never played any of the DQ Monsters games, nor Rocket Slime, or anything like that, but I have played quite a few of the main series games and hold them as some of my favorite JRPGs ever. I don't want to sound rude, but in the main series, Slime isn't really anything other than an enemy encounter. They, along with the rest of the monsters, are just enemies you defeat on your grand adventures. Representing all of the main DQ games with Slime would be a huge misrepresentation of the series, in my opinion. The heroes might not be as recognizable as Slime to those who don't really know or care that much about the main series games, but the heroes represent their series as a whole far better than a Slime ever could. Mascot or not.

Basically, Dragon Quest isn't about Slime. It isn't just about monsters either. Dragon Quest is about the stories and adventures, and it'd be a shame to represent the entire franchise with just Slime who, in the main series of games, usually amounts to nothing more than just an easy obstacle to overcome. You can recruit it to your side in Dragon Quest 5, but I wouldn't say that's enough to represent the entire main series of games in a way that feels true to the heart of the series.

This is just my opinion, and I don't expect you or anyone else to agree with it. Sorry if this came off a bit rude, I didn't mean it that way. I just get a little sick of everyone thinking Slime is all DQ has to offer most of the time.

Dragon Quest didn't become iconic because of Slime. Slime became iconic because of Dragon Quest. It shouldn't be used to represent the entire main series as if it's the most important thing to come out of it.

Don't take this the wrong way, I don't hate Slime, and I get that it's the only thing those unfamiliar with the series recognize. That said, I feel like Slime would do that job just as well, if not better, being in the background of a DQ stage or even serving as the series' symbol.

That's honestly how I feel, and I'd be very disappointed if Sakurai chose to rep the series with Slime because of it. It's not a popular opinion, but I just needed to vent.

NineS

Smash Lord
What do you think is more likely - Slime or a DQ Hero?
Slime. Due to the fact that he is in the same vein of Cloud; The poster-boy for the franchise.
And like Pikachu, it has a simple, lovable design that is easy on the eyes, and is extremely recognizable

Now if you were to ask me about who'd the poster-girl would be... Not sure. All I know is that Lightning would be it for FF, at least in Japan.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
1) Agree thats why were betting, well se whose loses or if we both lose lol. If we both lose do we have to put some sort of wacky Geno pic or imagine its Lara, what kind of pic would we have to put ha.

2) I can see why you think that in a game that makes non fighters, fighters. It makes it exciting to see characters who are not normally in fighting games. Im slightly bias here as you can see Im a Street Fighter and Tekken fan. Iv asked around if people think it would be Yuri as he is the most popular in Japan. Most people seem to think it would be Lloyd though. Those would be good and Klonoa, unfortunately those characters are more niche so they probably wont be picked.

3) I mean I would be happy if it does not happen, but I really think it will happen O_o. I think thats why im warming up to Edelgard so it won't be as much as a surprise. Iv kind of skipped the denial stage of grief and went straight to acceptance. Plus if they make her move set right she could potentially be interesting as a fighter. She could be like Ullr in Smite who when he changes his stance, his weapons change, this would be pretty cool.

4) I have no idea, but I think it could happen. This is one Im admittedly not to sure on, so I am just assuming they'll put a character to cross promote. It could also be Rex and Pyra though.

5) Im with you all aboard the Rayman train chooo chooo. I will be extremely happy if Rayman gets in and Steve is just some sort of Spirit or Assist. Also I wouldn't put too much stock in Hitagi. He kind of backpedals on a lot of his leaks. He says Katalina and Steve are going to be characters, then backs out and says no. I dont know it seems very suspicious to me I personally trust Vergeben, but not Hitagi.

Side note I know you're not into KH3, but a new trailer dropped today for the game and got me even more excited for the game ha.

Also if Rayman and Lloyd make into the game I hope these songs come with them.

Also I hope this song is in Ultimate, its kind of catchy don't you think?
First I have to ask, are the images I'm linking shows? they're appearing like small rectangles with red Xs on top :/

2. Unfortunately that's what Sakurai said in the past and did say it again for this Smash. But as usual, keeps contradicting himself.
I am a fan of many fighting games including SF, not just that but Ken is one of my favorites yet I wasn't excited the least when he joined. Fighters in Smash frankly add, present and prove nothing. As you said, the exciting part is witnessing characters who never been in this situation. I can kid myself enjoying my fighter addition, but it's really not that exciting or offer does offer something new. For example, one of the exciting aspects of getting a new fighter is guessing or witnessing his/her final smash. Did Ryu or Ken get anything new here? no. It's the "been there done that" feeling all over.
I just thought, you know who'd I love to join Smash from Bandai Namco (don't worry I know it's a waaaay far fetched idea, for countless reasons). Oliver or Evan from Ni no Kuni.

3. Nintendo don't hang on similar ideas so often, we'll see. But boy you sure love your Edelgard XD

4. Rex is not going to happen. Sakurai clearly stated that, plus he's a Mii costume. That goes for all Xeno chars too.

5. I like Rayman, I like his games but I'm not sure why I'm never excited when his inclusion's brought up. Maybe it's that fake Rayman leak, I really don't know why. I think we can trust both, the difference between the two is that Vergeben double and triple checks and never states before being 100% sure. Hitagi does double check but I'm guessing he lacks the patience to be 100% sure, backpedaling is fine.

Side note: I am into KH, I think it's a great game series, one of the greatest to be frank. I never had the time to go through any or catch up though. It's just that I think it's not Sora's time yet and what's going for him don't help his chances, that's all.

Rayman has plenty of great songs and music. I want to link one but currently I can't.
The others didn't fly with me. If I don't forget I'll link you some choices of mine :)

LetterO

Smash Lord
All 5 DLC characters have probably already leaked on 4chan and we've all looked over it.

This happens everytime. I love the idea that all 5 DLC characters have already been leaked and we don't know it.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Definitely Slime. He is essentially the face of DQ. Moreso than any single DQ Hero, since they change with each installment.
And since we got Piranha Plant, we know Sakurai can take a generic enemy and create an interesting moveset.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Slime. Even as I've never played a DQ game, I recognize Slime. Everyone recognizes Slime. If Nintendo wants worldwide marketability with their picks, I'd wager it's a lot more well-known.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom