• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
I cannot wait to have more information on AT and other similar stuff so we can reopen the graveyard thread from the Sm4sh speculation . :troll: That field of gravestones really was a sight to behold.

I hope Chandeelure Chandeelure will still provide us the picture.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
I believe we will get 2 of the following 4 things before E3:

Fire Emblem Direct
Pokemon Direct
Smash Direct
General Direct

Reasoning: I can't see Nintendo cramming an E3 full of Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Yoshi, Retros new DKC and MP4 all into a single 30 minute direct.

FE, Pokemon and Smash have all been announced but we've yet to see any gameplay so I bet we will see something beforehand so E3 can focus on unannounced titles coming like DKC and Animal Crossing (Strong hints and teases they will be at E3 this year!)
FE has an anniversary today (Awakening), multiple anniversaries tomorrow on the 20th (FE1, SOV), and FE7's 15th anniversary on the 25th.

If we are predicting announcements based upon important dates for a franchise, I could definitely see an FE Direct soon. Probably next week since the Directs this year have been announced on Wednesdays and played on Thursdays. It would fill the gap between March's Direct and June's E3, and Nintendo has had big stuff on April Directs (Smash 4, MK8, Splatoon 2, Arms).

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I don't want to sound biased, but I think a Kirby character is pretty likely.
It doesn't really have to be Bandana Dee, because Sakurai can decide for another character that he likes more or something.

But the Kirby franchise has been huge for the last years, with all the 25th Anniversary stuff.
Kirby Cafe, Kirby Train, A LOT of merchandise, Kirby's Blowout Blast, Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, Kirby Battle Royale and obviously, Kirby Star Allies.

I don't know, Sakurai must be crazy to ignore all that lol.
(I'm ready for moar Super Star content)

I cannot wait to have more information on AT and other similar stuff so we can reopen the graveyard thread from the Sm4sh speculation . :troll: That field of gravestones really was a sight to behold.

I hope Chandeelure Chandeelure will still provide us the picture.
Sure, it was fun haha.
I've already been asked to do it again, but we still don't see disconfirmations, so the thread is not necessary for now.

Last edited:

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
It doesn't really have to be Bandana Dee, because Sakurai can decide for another character that he likes more or something.

But the Kirby franchise has been huge for the last years, with all the 25th Anniversary stuff.
Kirby Cafe, Kirby Train, A LOT of merchandise, Kirby's Blowout Blast, Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, Kirby Battle Royale and obviously, Kirby Star Allies.

I don't know, Sakurai must be crazy to ignore all that lol.
(I'm ready for moar Super Star content)
Kirby is much too huge to ignore, really. After all it is one of the biggest series out there with as few as 3 reps. I mean, if Fire Emblem can have 6 reps Kirby sure can have 4 or 5.

Sure, it was fun haha.
I've already been asked to do it again, but we still don't see disconfirmations, so the thread is not necessary for now.
Hopefully it will be soon :p

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
FE has an anniversary today (Awakening), multiple anniversaries tomorrow on the 20th (FE1, SOV), and FE7's 15th anniversary on the 25th.

If we are predicting announcements based upon important dates for a franchise, I could definitely see an FE Direct soon. Probably next week since the Directs this year have been announced on Wednesdays and played on Thursdays. It would fill the gap between March's Direct and June's E3, and Nintendo has had big stuff on April Directs (Smash 4, MK8, Splatoon 2, Arms).
Arms was actually in May. I only make that distinction to say that I think a May direct is just as likely (if not more at this point at the end of April).
(Edit: double checked and apparently there was Arms info in April as well. I thought you were referring to the Arms specific direct in May. My bad!)

While I still don't think we will get Smash news before E3, historically we have had directs in April-May before E3 (last year I think there were 2 actually) so it is absolutely possible, crossing fingers for some news.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

Unpopular opinion - every character from the Kirby series that's important enough to deserve a role in smash is already in there, and Kirby will get no new reps.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Literally talking **** about my two most wanted unprovoked.
Come at me,bro.
At least I talk ***** about characters, while you do about people.
There's probably some character we both want,but I can't ignore the fact that WAAAAA and fire tiger are zzzzz.

Unpopular opinion - every character from the Kirby series that's important enough to deserve a role in smash is already in there, and Kirby will get no new reps.
We came to a point where the "deserving game" is no longer usable. I see a lot of people talk this same thing about Dk and it hurts. So I won't be sad with Kirby. I want Bandana Dee more than any Zelda newcomer... that's a series I think is good as it is now.

Last edited:

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
If Bandana Dee doesn't deserves to be in Smash not many people do. Looking back at the last Kirby games, he had appeared en every game in some way or another, more often than not in a prominent role. I'd say he is right on par with Dedede and Meta Knight.

In fact looking back at the three last big games bar Star Allies each of the three had a very prominent role while the other two weren't as prominent (if not absent) in one of them: Dedede in Triple Deluxe, Meta Knight in Planet Robobot and Bandana Dee in Rainbow Curse. Culminating with Star Allies where the Dee is the first Dream Friend one can get and one of the only three that are not DLC with, you guessed it, Dedede and Meta Knight.

And he IS very popular amongst the fans.

Biased? Maybe a bit but one cannot deny that HAL has been heavily pushing him as THE fourth Kirby character.

Last edited:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Personally if Waluigi gets in his moveset should reflect his personality much like Wario's moveset.

His personality in question? Cheating to win.

Imagine if he pulled out-of-the-box tactics in his gameplay (Air swimming instead of an airdodge, a down throw that buries the opponent [essentially, his Assist Trophy attack], a rather high double jump complemented with a vertically-weak [read: less height than Little Mac] but multiple-use up special, a parodic take on a down special Counter attack)

D

Deleted member

Come at me,bro.
At least I talk ***** about characters, while you do about people.
There's probably some character we both want,but I can't ignore the fact that WAAAAA and fire tiger are zzzzz.
GR8 B8 M8

I would hope there isn't a single character we both desire. Not with that sort of taste.

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If Bandana Dee doesn't deserves to be in Smash not many people do. Looking back at the last Kirby games, he had appeared en every game in some way or another, more often than not in a prominent role. I'd say he is right on par with Dedede and Meta Knight.

In fact looking back at the three last big games bar Star Allies each of the three had a very prominent role while the other two weren't as prominent (if not absent) in one of them: Dedede in Triple Deluxe, Meta Knight in Planet Robobot and Bandana Dee in Rainbow Curse. Culminating with Star Allies where the Dee is the first Dream Friend one can get and one of the only three that are not DLC with, you guessed it, Dedede and Meta Knight.

Biased? Maybe a bit but one cannot deny that HAL has been heavily pushing him as THE fourth Kirby character.
I still wouldn't say he's on par with Dedede and Meta Knight, they have an incredibly rich history with the series and have brought it to where it is now, and they're also still bosses in the games even if they're playable, and as such play a more prominent part than Bandana Dee does.

The rest I do agree with, Bandana Dee has still been a very successful introduction to the series and has cemented himself as part of the main cast, I haven't encountered one person who hasn't been happy with his inclusion, he just slotted in so naturally. It's definitely gotten to the point where Kirby's representation in Smash doesn't feel quite complete without him, put him in and I think Kirby will be set for the next many installments.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Arms was actually in May. I only make that distinction to say that I think a May direct is just as likely (if not more at this point at the end of April).
(Edit: double checked and apparently there was Arms info in April as well. I thought you were referring to the Arms specific direct in May. My bad!)

While I still don't think we will get Smash news before E3, historically we have had directs in April-May before E3 (last year I think there were 2 actually) so it is absolutely possible, crossing fingers for some news.
Yeah Smash is pretty unlikely, I’m just hoping for some news on anything at this point. 3 months with nothing is just cruel.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Personally if Waluigi gets in his moveset should reflect his personality much like Wario's moveset.

His personality in question? Cheating to win.

Imagine if he pulled out-of-the-box tactics in his gameplay (Air swimming instead of an airdodge, a down throw that buries the opponent [essentially, his Assist Trophy attack], a rather high double jump complemented with a vertically-weak [read: less height than Little Mac] but multiple-use up special, a parodic take on a down special Counter attack)
Wow, that actually sounds really cool.

Like, Waluigi can use moves or tactics that would normally only be possible by cheating, but he's still just as good as anyone else.

That sounds pretty hilarious honestly. Like, Waluigi goes into a freefall-like animation every time he uses his up-special, but he can keep using it five times before he actually goes into freefall, or something. That'd be pretty cool.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord

Ya I expect an FE direct very soon. E3 is only 7 weeks away so they need to announce something soon.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Yeah Smash is pretty unlikely, I’m just hoping for some news on anything at this point. 3 months with nothing is just cruel.
Reminds me of that one year we went like...what 4 months? Without news after E3. God that was terrible.

(Edit: Found it! June 16 2015 to November 12 2015.....wow.)

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

Honestly, I think I'm at the point where I agree that not that many people do deserve to be in smash. As much as we want a giant roster, it can't extend indefinitely. Both of our opinions are definitely biased, as is everyone's opinion ever, because we are humans and inherently have bias. My bias comes from liking older kirby games a lot more than newer ones, where bandanna dee wasn't even a thing. One thing I like about the character is the fact that he fights with a spear. I love the aesthetic of foot soldiers with spears (mainly because of fire emblem). I see where you're coming from and don't think any of your arguments are wrong but I personally don't really want another Kirby character. :shrug:

We came to a point where the "deserving game" is no longer usable. I see a lot of people talk this same thing about Dk and it hurts. So I won't be sad with Kirby. I want Bandana Dee more than any Zelda newcomer... that's a series I think is good as it is now.
Well it's less the game to me, and more importance to the series. But it's just my opinion. I know know there are a lot of people who want to see more characters from the series.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Deserving is subjective and I honestly think we're not ones to talk about who is or isn't deserving of being in the series.

Especially on a forum where a lot of us talked mad **** about Pac Man of all people getting in last game.

There were also people who talked mad **** about Ryu, Mr. Fighting Game getting in.

As if neither deserved it. One is the whole reason video games became a thing and the other sparked and ignited the genre Smash is.

And there were people here who thought they had no right to be in Smash.

So I think what some of this community has to say about ''deserving" kinda needs to be thrown out the window.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Wow, that actually sounds really cool.

Like, Waluigi can use moves or tactics that would normally only be possible by cheating, but he's still just as good as anyone else.
Bayonetta already does that.

Has a Triple Jump, Double Up Special, can counter a Jab and kill you, frame 1 Air Dodge, has combos in Smash 4 that aren't Down Throw + Aerial...

Bayonetta is a better cheater than Waluigi.

:troll:

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
With absolutely no news, I'm leaning more towards a completely new game than a Smash Bros For. +, this is thrilling!
I want a trailer like we had for Brawl at this point, like six newcomers at once.
But I also want to keep the surprise until the very end. This is a strange feeling.

Deserving is subjective and I honestly think we're not ones to talk about who is or isn't deserving of being in the series.

Especially on a forum where a lot of us talked mad **** about Pac Man of all people getting in last game.

There were also people who talked mad **** about Ryu, Mr. Fighting Game getting in.

As if neither deserved it. One is the whole reason video games became a thing and the other sparked and ignited the genre Smash is.

So I think what some of this community has to say about ''deserving" kinda needs to be thrown out the window.
The problem is not deserving being in Smash or not, since many characters (one-shot, reoccuring, retro, 3rd party...) could get this reward, after all, being Waluigi, the Dee, Ridley, Dixie, K. Rool, Impa, Excitebiker, Donkey Kong Jr. (isn't it Donkey Kong?), and hundreds of others.
It's that for people, it'll always look like the said character stole the spot of another one.
When Pac-Man was confirmed, the arguments probably were something like "A Nintendo character couldn't get in because of Pac-Man" or for Ryu "Ryu, a third-party, is a DLC newcomer when many other Nintendo franchises didn't get another representant in this game".

I don't know the criterias Sakurai uses to make his roster, but one of them is certainly not that "If X is in, then Y shouldn't".
He doesn't have hatred towards characters, but he certainly won't waste time finding ideas to make characters work if he doesn't find them in time, nor completely delay the game to add a character not working (Ice Climbers).

Think about the poor man. He will never please anyone because whatever he adds/removes, he'll receive praises and insults.

"Too many third-parties!"
"Too many clones!"
"Too many Mario dudes!"

We don't have the final word in any case (well except maybe this time with the Smash Ballot!), so why would we be mad when we get a character? We don't know if the character we wanted could have been added anyway.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

People talked **** about pac-man? I truly have no recollection of that what is wrong with them lmao

D

Deleted member

Oh, I remember those times.

I mean, it was one thing to see Pac-Man as possibly boring of a character since none of us had any idea he'd be like the way he is in Smash, but to say he didn't deserve it when he's goddamn PAC-MAN and Namco was involved with development was rather silly.

Though I think most people's fears in regards to the Pac was that he'd be like his Ghostly Adventures counterpart and thus, people didn't really want him.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
People talked **** about pac-man? I truly have no recollection of that what is wrong with them lmao
A lot of people for some reason thought he was a waste of spot and not relevant.

Let me put it this way. They said he wasn't relevant because his modern games weren't huge hits.

These were the same people who praised Mega Man. Mega Man's franchise was truly dead at the time.

None of them seemed to understand Pac Man would be getting in on the merit that he's the god-father of all video games and didn't get why that was such a big deal when you know Mario was already in the game.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
A lot of people for some reason thought he was a waste of spot and not relevant.

Let me put it this way. They said he wasn't relevant because his modern games weren't huge hits.

These were the same people who praised Mega Man. Mega Man's franchise was truly dead at the time.

None of them seemed to understand Pac Man would be getting in on the merit that he's the god-father of all video games and didn't get why that was such a big deal when you know Mario was already in the game.
Yikes, I knew some people on here had to be dumb as hell but that's just...wow...lmao

Pakky

Smash Hero

I remember a lot of people saying that dude from Tales was bigger than Pac-man.

These people aren't dumb just uncultured. (The man's art is on the side of the cabinet, of course he would have hands and feet...)

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Who is deserving is just really all opinion based.

Like we might not even have Wario if it weren't for WarioWare.

And I think most of us are of the opinion that's just hecka wrong considering how much of a popular Nintendo character he was even before that.

However Sakurai's opinion was that Wario was boring before WarioWare. So you know...

Again subjective opinions really influence who is or isn't deserving even in Sakurai's eyes.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

If I had a quarter for each time I saw people say "Pac-Man is only known for one arcade game and a ton of shovelware" as if he was some D-list character, I'd be able to straight up buy the arcade machine.

Dark times, man. I was wary over potentially getting Ghostly Adventure Pac-Man, too, but those people acted like he had ONLY the original arcade game and GA under his belt. People were so ignorant to his actual historical significance.

Honestly I'm just proud I correctly guessed he'd have one of his specials be Pac-Dot Chain. Yeah, I thought it'd be mapped to Up Special, but still. That made me happy.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Who is deserving is just really all opinion based.

Like we might not even have Wario if it weren't for WarioWare.

And I think most of us are of the opinion that's just hecka wrong considering how much of a popular Nintendo character he was even before that.

However Sakurai's opinion was that Wario was boring before WarioWare. So you know...

Again subjective opinions really influence who is or isn't deserving even in Sakurai's eyes.
Wasn't wario considered for melee tho? Or am I misremembering something?

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'm starting to think if a 7th gen guy does get in Incenaroar might make more sense.

There are no wrestlers in Smash.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I'm starting to think if a 7th gen guy does get in Incenaroar might make more sense.

There are no wrestlers in Smash.
There aren't any archers either...I mean Link and Pit have bows but they have one move with them lol. There aren't any mermaids either

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I was thinking of Impa in smash, they could explain in a canonical way she could appear as a younger version of her breath of the wild appearence.
Remember Purah’s aging reversing rune? :smirk:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
A lot of the argument used against Pac-Man showcases just how misused the term "relevancy" is as it has everything to do with importance, not recency. Historical relevancy is a thing that exist.

There’s countless examples of characters, stories, games, etc. that have not received an update in decades, centuries, or millennia yet are still relevant because they continue to have an impact on the people who know them, possibly even cultural impact. But based off how misued the word is, you'd think relevancy=being flavour of the month.

D

Deleted member

Believe it or not, Waluigi is the one charcter I’ve wanted longer than anyone else.

I was only 7 when Brawl released, so of course I wasn’t heavy on speculation back then. My older brother followed the Dojo every day for updates, and I clearly remember him showing me that Wario was in the game, and me wondering why they hadn’t shown Waluigi with him yet. It was pretty disappointing when he showed up, but he wasn’t playable. I’ve been requesting him ever since.

I’m really hoping 7-year-old me finally gets vindication this time around :dkmelee:
I wanted Waluigi ever since I got into Smash Bros.
So I wanted Waluigi for like... six to seven years.
I'm not a Waluigi hater but I'd rather see Toad and Paper Mario playable first.
I disagree with this. Waluigi would be a lot more hype than those two combined to be honest.
Waluigi.gif

D

Deleted member

There aren't any archers either...I mean Link and Pit have bows but they have one move with them lol.
Here's the thing that I have with the logic of "no archers".
Pit for all intents and purposes in the original Kid Icarus was an archer. Bow and arrow was his primary method of attack if not his only means of attack.
Then it was mapped to only one move in Smash and more focus was put on having a brand new double-bladed weapon that could be used as one large weapon or two smaller ones in his Smash debut.

What is really stopping Sakurai from giving Decidueye just one arrow based attack for a Special and just focusing more on wings, talons, beak, wind, etc. instead?

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
I was thinking of Impa in smash, they could explain in a canonical way she could appear as a younger version of her breath of the wild appearence.
Remember Purah’s aging reversing rune? :smirk:

One problem with your examples. They're literally Paya with a different name. Maybe Impa did resemble Paya in her youth, but a young Impa never appeared in the memory cutscenes.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Sure, it was fun haha.
We've had a couple of minor disconfirmations but thanks to the tricksy nature of NDAs we can't trust them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom