• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
So, hypothetical scenario for you guys. Take your 2 most desired characters. One you can get in Smash forever while the other is banned from Smash forever. Would you take that offer? My 2 would be Ridley and Banjo-Kazooie. I fear neither have good odds so....I might ban Banjo-Kazooie to get my space dragon. It hurts. :crying:
K. Rool's my dream Nintendo pick......but Sora got be to buy a PS2 and I have other DK characters that I like. Sora is probably the last BIG 3rd Party I absolutely want in Smash.

I'm probs gonna get attacked for this, but eh

Clones really don't take up space. Yeah yeah, they're lazy, I understand. But that's a reason why they aren't taking up roster space, because they're so easy to make. All of the characters with original movesets are all of the characters they have made in the game. Clones are just there to make the roster look bigger than it actually is, or to bring another type of playstyle to a character without having to put that much effort into it.
I hate this attitude that clones are low effort so Sakurai shouldn't get so much criticism for putting them in but are these huge losses if they're taken out in the following game. Why exactly do Dark Pit or Lucina deserve to have time invested in decloning them, time that that could be invested towards other things, just because they had the luck to make it on the roster last second?

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Clones really don't take up space. Yeah yeah, they're lazy, I understand. But that's a reason why they aren't taking up roster space, because they're so easy to make. All of the characters with original movesets are all of the characters they have made in the game. Clones are just there to make the roster look bigger than it actually is, or to bring another type of playstyle to a character without having to put that much effort into it.
Why would you get attacked for stating facts? lol

Originality

Smash Journeyman
So, hypothetical scenario for you guys. Take your 2 most desired characters. One you can get in Smash forever while the other is banned from Smash forever. Would you take that offer? My 2 would be Ridley and Banjo-Kazooie. I fear neither have good odds so....I might ban Banjo-Kazooie to get my space dragon. It hurts. :crying:
I'd definitely ban Isabelle if Chibi Robo could get in. Hell I'd have banned Inklings if Chibi Robo could've gotten in

TheMagic1

Smash Cadet
NNID
SwagAlt
Why would you get attacked for stating facts? lol
Because the smash fanbase complains about pointless stuff all the time and attacks you when you say anything reasonable

Anyway, I knew about this place way before I joined but I haven't had to urge to make an account. Hopefully this place is welcoming. So um, sup.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
Ridley might as well be banned at this point. Come on down, K. Rool.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
My most wanted characters are Dark Matter and Jirachi, Jirachi's chance to get in has definitely passed and gone away, so I think I'll take Dark Matter because that'll guarantee I get something at least.

I agree that they don't really take up space and I understand why they're there, but I'm never going to not be peeved that it just had to be Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem who got them. I would have preferred if the clones went to franchises that didn't get an insane amount of characters compared to it's size and/or one that didn't get like half the smash run enemies lol.

Last edited:

TheMagic1

Smash Cadet
NNID
SwagAlt
Welp, I guess I'll just start a discussion here.

What controllers do you guys think are going to be usable in Smash 5?

The obvious would be pro controller and joy-cons but how about some controllers to bring back? I think they will have to make a Switch GC adapter, because IK there is a trick to get your GC controller to work on the Switch, but it recognizes it as a Pro controller which could cause some problems. Unpopular opinion, I love the Nunchuck and that's the main controller I use for Smash and seeing it return would be cool, but it's fine if it doesn't. I mean, no one even cared about it anyway. I'll miss using the D-Pad for aerials tho.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
K. Rool hasn't been explicitly shot down by Sakurai twice.
While that is true, Ridley is in the game as a boss because Sakurai feels like that's the best way to represent the character within the game. K. Rool is just a stationary trophy who hasn't warranted any comment from Sakurai til they finally gave him the Mii costume :p
I grew up on all three original DKC games and love K. Rool. I personally would have appreciated some comment on him rather than just see that trophy game after game. Ridley is at least an actual functional thing in Smash, even if he's not what people want.

TheMagic1

Smash Cadet
NNID
SwagAlt
My most wanted characters are Dark Matter and Jirachi, Jirachi's chance to get in has definitely passed and gone away, so I think I'll take Dark Matter because that'll guarantee I get something at least.
I agree that they don't really take up space and I understand why they're there, but I'm never going to not be peeved that it just had to be Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem who got them. I would have preferred if the clones went to franchises that didn't get an insane amount of characters compared to it's size and/or one that didn't get like half the smash run enemies lol.
Good point. I feel like they should've had Lucina and Dark Pit as completely original characters and they would've gave other franchises clones. Question is, what characters are good ideas for being clones?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
What primarily attracts me to a Smash character is who they are. I only abandon them if they're just all around something I can't enjoy to play.

To this day they only characters that remain completely boring and untouchable to me are Pichu, Palutena, and Jigglypuff.

And I really really really wanted to like Palutena because I was primarily drawn to her the most of those three, but even with custom moves she still just leaves a lot to be desired.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
There's a ton of characters that I would be absolutely estatic for. Spring Man, K. Rool, Ridley, Isaac, Banjo-Kazooie, Rayman, Simon, Bomberman, Takamaru, The Doom Slayer, the list goes on, but the only character I would most likely cry over would be if Snake came back. Hell, I feel like if he would've been in the last one that roster would've been perfect, even without all those others I mentioned.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
I think people just dislike the clones because they "fill space" in the roster instead of appearing elsewhere.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I only moderately enjoy MGS as a series and Snake as a character but even I might cry if there's a trailer for this one that starts with..

''Kept you waiting, huh?"

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I only moderately enjoy MGS as a series and Snake as a character but even I might cry if there's a trailer for this one that starts with..

There's gonna be tears coming out of me either way with Snake. The only thing that will change is whether they're of joy when he gets confirmed or sadness when I don't see him on my switch screen.

ErenJager

Smash Champion

A Snake reveal would be huge, beyond it just being the return of Snake.
It would also mean Sakurai is once again working with Konami after they were absent from Smash Wii U.
The chances of Konami inspired mii costumes, assist trophies, etc all of a sudden becomes a real possibility as well.
Oh and Bomberman becoming playable would be more possible.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Unpopular opinion- snake never fit in, and legit only gets the attention he gets because he was playable at one point. Bomberman is the much more logical decision, but his creator wasn't close friends with sakurai, and didnt beg for snake to get into smash. I will be a little upset if we get stuck with snake again just because "he's a veteran".

I would much prefer we get a new character that takes the fun aspects from snake's moveset like the stage traps and missles, and leave snake in the past.

How many of you can really say you'd be giving snake the same attention if he wasn't in brawl?

StormC

Smash Hero
Unpopular opinion- snake never fit in, and legit only gets the attention he gets because he was playable at one point. Bomberman is the much more logical decision, but his creator wasn't close friends with sakurai, and didnt beg for snake to get into smash. I will be a little upset if we get stuck with snake again just because "he's a veteran".

I would much prefer we get a new character that takes the fun aspects from snake's moveset like the stage traps and missles, and leave snake in the past.

How many of you can really say you'd be giving snake the same attention if he wasn't in brawl?
Snake being in Brawl is the reason I got into MGS, and the original MGS is now my all time favorite game.

I'm not sure what you mean by not "fitting in." Snake is in crazy crossovers all the time, including the likes of Ape Escape. The series is inherently silly and Smash capitalized on that with things like the codecs.

In the end, does it really matter?

People were shown a new possibility that they had a closed mind too. Does it matter what caused the change people's minds? Or are we going to have to say that characters like Duck Hunt, Cloud, Bayonetta, Robin, Wii Fit Trainer, and a metric ****ton of other characters matter because other characters were more focused on?
:061:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I think the hate for clones is overblown
It doesn’t take away anything from the roster
Like Sakurai said it’s just dessert
And it leaves the possibility for them to be tweaked in future installments ala Falco/Luigi.
I hope they do that for dark pit and Lucina

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Snake never fit in?

Yet he literally is just like Ryu, Cloud, and Pac Man at least.

Is legit the face of a type of gaming genre. He's the poster boy for the stealth genre.

Just like Ryu is poster boy for fighting games, Cloud is poster boy for JRPGs, and Pac Man for arcade games.

So uh exactly did he not fit in?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

If Snake wasn't in Smash I'd give him the same amount of Smash related-attention as if
:4falcon::4charizard::4cloud::4corrinf::4darkpit::4drmario::4duckhunt::4greninja::4jigglypuff::4gaw::4rob::4feroy::4ryu::4sheik::4wiifit::4zss:
had never been in Smash, so I guess he's in good company?

Snake being in Brawl is the reason I got into MGS, and the original MGS is now my all time favorite game.

I'm not sure what you mean by not "fitting in." Snake is in crazy crossovers all the time, including the likes of Ape Escape. The series is inherently silly and Smash capitalized on that with things like the codecs.
Snake never fit in?

Is legit the face of a type of gaming genre. He's the poster boy for the stealth genre.

Just like Ryu is poster boy for fighting games, Cloud is poster boy for JRPGs, and Pac Man for arcade games.

No real point in arguing how well someone fits in, that's super subjective.

ErenJager

Smash Champion

I may have agreed with you on the idea of Snake not fitting in pre Wii U...
But we now have Bayo, Cloud, and Ryu... so I think Snake wouldn't be that much of an odd ball any more at all.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Welp, I guess I'll just start a discussion here.

What controllers do you guys think are going to be usable in Smash 5?

The obvious would be pro controller and joy-cons but how about some controllers to bring back? I think they will have to make a Switch GC adapter, because IK there is a trick to get your GC controller to work on the Switch, but it recognizes it as a Pro controller which could cause some problems. Unpopular opinion, I love the Nunchuck and that's the main controller I use for Smash and seeing it return would be cool, but it's fine if it doesn't. I mean, no one even cared about it anyway. I'll miss using the D-Pad for aerials tho.
Singular Joycons are probably gonna be an option...yikes...

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Just a question, would Snake re-inclusion hurt Kojima? He left Konami behind on very harsh terms, would he care that his character that was lost to the company that fired him be included? I remember something about Sakurai being friendly with Kojima and I think he'd want to respect him. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't really know the whole Snake story.

StormC

Smash Hero
Just a question, would Snake re-inclusion hurt Kojima? He left Konami behind on very harsh terms, would he care that his character that was lost to the company that fired him be included? I remember something about Sakurai being friendly with Kojima and I think he'd want to respect him. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't really know the whole Snake story.
It's a valid question. If they're friends I would think Sakurai would ask Kojima first before anyone at Konami out of respect.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Call me crazy, but Snake not fitting in is one of the reasons I enjoyed him. He was just out of left field, choking people out and looking super serious next to guys like Pikachu. This realistic-looking mercenary showing up in the SSE and hanging out with Lucario is a delightfully oddball moment. I even like that he was added as a favor to a friend, not out of some obligation or measure of worthy-ness that Third Party characters seem to get lobbied for now.

Granted, there's a total double standard there for me. I enjoyed Snake, but think Bayonetta doesn't fit at all, so I think things like nostalgia and bias play more of a factor than any actual objective reasons.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace

Which breath of the wild outfit do you guys think Zelda should have?
I like her adventuring outfit a lot, but maybe her royal dress would work better as it would fit some of her current moves better?
Ideally we get at least two as alts

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So here's a kinda fun hypothetical.

You get to pick five newcomers for the new Smash...but with one condition: the characters need to have preexisting amiibo.
What five characters do you pick?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Call me crazy, but Snake not fitting in is one of the reasons I enjoyed him. He was just out of left field, choking people out and looking super serious next to guys like Pikachu. This realistic-looking mercenary showing up in the SSE and hanging out with Lucario is a delightfully oddball moment. I even like that he was added as a favor to a friend, not out of some obligation or measure of worthy-ness that Third Party characters seem to get lobbied for now.

Granted, there's a total double standard there for me. I enjoyed Snake, but think Bayonetta doesn't fit at all, so I think things like nostalgia and bias play more of a factor than any actual objective reasons.
Personally I really liked Snake because they played on how he didn't fit in with his codexes and in SSE, it was part of the appeal, with Bayonetta they just kind of expect us to accept her despite how glaringly out of place she can look in certain matchups.

I really think it's a huge shame that Snake was cut, no matter what he will always be the most surprising character ever introduced to Smash. Like, a 3rd party character was surprising enough as is, but that it was Snake of all characters too was such a shock, with how much new ground that has been broken since it's hard to see anyone being a bigger surprise in the future.

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Snake never fit in?

I'd argue that the only third parties that "fit in" are Mega Man, Bayo (after her "revival") and Travis. The rest are more general gaming than Nintendo.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

I like her adventuring outfit a lot, but maybe her royal dress would work better as it would fit some of her current moves better?
Default outfit with the blue top and pants, white dress as an alt

You get to pick five newcomers for the new Smash...but with one condition: the characters need to have preexisting amiibo.
Bandana Dee, Mipha, Daruk, Isabelle, Midna (Yes 3 are Zelda characters but idc)

Sidenote, WHY ARE THERE NO DK SERIES AMIIBO TF

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

I was playing this the other day! Waluigi and the Champions are what I basically decided on XD.
You could substitute Daruk for Chibi-Robo, but it would feel weird to have 3 of 4 of the Champions.
None of my other top 10 have amiibo (why no Arms amiibo?!)

Defintely her adventure outfit, it's the signature outfit of her character that's used in most promotion and amiibo, even matches Link's Champion outfit. Also my favorite part of this Zelda was her nerdy scholar style over her goddess style she's been presenting for a while.
I would love if the others were alts, especially her snow outfit, but I feel that's asking a lot.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
If Snake hadn't been in Brawl, I wouldn't even be into MGS as much as I am.

If Shulk hadn't been in For, I wouldn't have even played Xenoblade Chronicles.

If Olimar hadn't been in Brawl, I probably wouldn't have played Pikmin.

If Ness hadn't been in 64, I wouldn't have even heard of EarthBound.

If G&W hadn't been in Melee... I'd have never dreamed of him being in Smash.

If Snake hadn't been in Brawl, no one would have dreamed of him being in Smash. We'd not have gotten the likes of Ryu or especially Cloud in Smash For. Hell, we might not have gotten any third parties period.

I want Snake back because he was with us once, I need my main back.
:4ness::4gaw::4olimar::4shulk:

While Konami was in the process of... doing what they were doing to Kojima, he responded to a question about Snake in Smash For during an interview. "I'm not working on that game so I don't know, but I don't think that's likely. Well if Mr. Sakurai is watching this, please use Snake." This was near the end of Smash For's development and we know Snake obviously didn't get in. Even now, Kojima still tweets about Metal Gear, retweeting fan stuff, and he's apparently working with the guy making the MGS movie, he still obviously cares about his lost franchise. Should Sakurai be on board with bringing Snake back (I would hope so, with the fan outcry for his return), Kojima would definitely be on board, and Konami would have no reason at present to refuse.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

Isabelle, Shovel Knight, Waluigi, Chibi Robo, and Urbosa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom