• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
My Ultimate would be
Nintendo
1) Impa
2) Bandana Dee
3) Dark Samus
4) Decidueye
5) Isaac
6) Shy Guy (My little brother's most wanted)
7) some DK character,
8) Vaati
Third Party
1) Agumon
2) Frogger
3) Simon Belmont

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, I'd rather they release a remaster of Nocturne on the Switch first.

Although a P3 Golden would be even better.
Nocturne really starts to show its age when you go back to it nowadays. Still fun, but a Nocturne Redux for the Switch would be so good.
An easy P3: Azure for me would combine the additional content from FES, P3P style party control, and maybe a non-romance option for all the girls.
Also FeMC

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Educate anyone that dares try to say "that's not Ridley his character is ruined lululul"
1st/2nd Party:
1. Fawful
2. Jeanne
3. Twintelle
4. Miria (The Guardian Legend)
5. Starfy
6. K. Rool
7. Marx
8. Melia
9. Phosphora
10. Professor Layton

3rd Party:
1. Dust
2. An indie game character. Too many potential good ones to name though
3. Quote
4. Squall
5. Sans

I'll probably update this list later cuz damn, theres so many options to choose from

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Nocturne really starts to show its age when you go back to it nowadays. Still fun, but a Nocturne Redux for the Switch would be so good.
An easy P3: Azure for me would combine the additional content from FES, P3P style party control, and maybe a non-romance option for all the girls.
Also FeMC
Honestly some sort of Persona game on Nintendo Switch would be amazing. Given how much they love mobile consoles like the PSP and PS Vita, they should show some sort of support to the Switch.

Plus Persona MC in Smash Bros.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
uh, can someone tell me why dark samus is now considered a thing? because if its just because we haven't seen her assist trophy
In the same game where Sakurai appears to be embracing the idea of Echo Fighters, Dark Samus's Assist Trophy went missing, as well as Samus's Dark Samus costume. Individually, any of these three things would've been accepted as just happenstance. All three at the same time? People are very rightfully suspicious about the fate of Samus's dark doppleganger.

I mean, Sakurai wouldn't introduce a new category of characters just to only add one new character to it, would he? I think it's pretty safe to say we'll see a few more Echos, and fittingly, Dark Samus seems uniquely well-positioned to be one of them.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
my personal top 3 First Party characters for Smash:
1. L
2. Y
3. N
Ah yes, I too would love to see...
  1. Laurel
  2. Yanny
  3. Ningen
...In Smash Ultimate :^)

First Party:
1. King K. Rool

Come on, we finally got Ridley, one of the biggest struggles of Smash is over, the Kremling King is the last classic Nintendo icon left. And really... that's it, he's the only definitive Nintendo character I really need. There are a few more I want, and I don't truly think this can be the ultimate Smash with the likes of Takamaru and others down for the count, but on a completely personal level, K. Rool is my most wanted first party, Ridley was my second.
2. Lip
My most wanted character from a series unrepresented in Smash, Panel de Pon is the best puzzle game ever crafted and she deserves to be remembered.
3. Mike Jones
The best first party NES game, but even more obscure than Takamaru. I'd honestly be surprised if StarTropics got any sort of mention in Smash.
4. Dixie Kong
The best member of the DK crew, it definitely wouldn't be ultimate without her.

And that's really it out of the viable choices left that I have any sort of personal connection with. So here are some honorable mentions.
Ashley - Great character design, super popular, would like to see despite my lack of interest in WarioWare.
Isaac - Haven't played Golden Sun, but his fanbase has stuck by him through thick and thin, I want to see him purely for their sake.
Decidueye - Not terribly into Pokemon, didn't even play SuMo, but this is the most interesting one of the bunch.
Insert New Series Here - Really at this point, I just want to see completely fresh new faces join.
I'm out of characters, so extra honorable mentions to the fallen, Waluigi and Krystal.

Third Party:
I can't even give five third parties, anyone that knows me knows who I want.
Banjo-Kazooie
Even after nearly two decades, it still feels wrong to even list them as third parties. Still a pipe dream to end all pipe dreams, but Smash will never be complete in my heart without them, they should have been in since Melee or Brawl, but now they're so far away.
Rayman
The only third party (that wasn't formerly a Nintendo character) that I truly ever wanted after Snake. Sonic was cool, and I loved Pac-Man, but no one can ever take the limbless wonder's place. The only reason he isn't my absolute most wanted is the above mentioned tragedy of a bear and bird.
Mike Jones is one of the deepest pulls I've seen in a long while. Hopefully StarTropics gets some sort of representation in this game.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Honestly some sort of Persona game on Nintendo Switch would be amazing. Given how much they love mobile consoles like the PSP and PS Vita, they should show some sort of support to the Switch.

Plus Persona MC in Smash Bros.
Nintendo should just buy SEGA. Then they'd own ATLUS and their IP. And all of SEGA's IP.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Japan is hosting a Smash Bros. Ultimate stream right now if you're thirsty for more gameplay.

Steam Link

Nintendo should just buy SEGA. Then they'd own ATLUS and their IP. And all of SEGA's IP.
I still wonder why they don't just do this. Sega and Atlas as first party developers would be a huge boon for Nintendo as a whole. I wanted Nintendo to buy Atlas when they were on the market, but they didn't unfortunately. Persona 6 as a Switch exclusive would've been amazing. It also would've been an amazing s***storm.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Also FeMC
I see you vouching for SMT representation, and I want to know how you'd feel about the inclusion of Jack Frost instead? While SMT is the original, Persona as a franchise actually has more sales with 10 less years under its belt. I'm personally a supporter of Joker, but for the sake of meeting in the middle, I feel Jack Frost would be the optimal selection for a representative from Atlus. He's their mascot and he's been in a million different titles since the launch of the Megami Tensei franchise, including his own standalone platformer. I feel he'd please both sides of the franchise and not leave either side asking why the other got representation instead of theirs.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm more concerned about potential future reveals. More ATs or Pokemon, things like that. Probably won't find any, though.
I don't think it's anything like that. Just a gameplay showcase. It ties in with the demo they posted about today.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Guh... Top Ten Lists... I've made so many over the years. In no particular order:

1. Waluigi (RIP)
2. Takamaru (RIP)
3. Krystal (RIP)
4. Muddy Mole (Mole Mania)
5. Ashley (Wario Ware)
6. Isabelle (ironically at first but now I love the idea)
7. Dixie Kong
8. Captain Toad (if only to please 11 year old me)
9. An Arms fighter (Dr. Coyle if I could choose)
10. Medusa (Kid Icarus)

Third Party

1. Geno (pretty much my most wanted character since 2002)
2. Banjo Kazooie (Ridley and Daisy got in? **** it I'll push in my chips for them in the face of common sense.)
3. Jibanyan (Yo-kai Watch really should get some sort of recognition in Smash)
4. Simon Belmont (Castlevania's impact on gaming is undeniable)
5. Shantae (so much potential and really ought to be the stand out Indie rep in this game)

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
So, this game is called; "Super Smash Bros Ultimate"

Now, what would define Ultimate for you?
I'll give some rules for this game.

You are to add up to "10" Nintendo characters/first n' seond party characters.
And you can have up to "5" 3rd parties.

Now, it's to personalize what would for "you" make the Smash from where it currently is, to the "Ultimate".
Which characters are left, who are realizable still that is.

I'll write mine, but in the mean time, I'd love to hear from your perspectives.
Try to reason why they'd be a good fit to make it your ultimate.
Nintendo characters
1. K. Rool
2. Ashley
3. Mimikyu
4. Chibi-Robo
5. Waluigi
6. Celica or Lyn
7. Medusa
8. E. Gadd
9. Dixie
10. Elma

Third party characters
1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Rayman
3. Shantae
4. Shadow
5. Glover

An idea that I had was that since there always seems to be a "retro rep", they could throw a curveball and have Ultimate's be a third party and that would be Glover. He could be considered "forgotten" in the same way that Game & Watch kind of was.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I see you vouching for SMT representation, and I want to know how you'd feel about the inclusion of Jack Frost instead? While SMT is the original, Persona as a franchise actually has more sales with 10 less years under its belt. I'm personally a supporter of Joker, but for the sake of meeting in the middle, I feel Jack Frost would be the optimal selection for a representative from Atlus. He's their mascot and he's been in a million different titles since the launch of the Megami Tensei franchise, including his own standalone platformer. I feel he'd please both sides of the franchise and not leave either side asking why the other got representation instead of theirs.
Jack Frost would be an amazing Assist Trophy. Not sure if he should be playable.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
So, this game is called; "Super Smash Bros Ultimate"

Now, what would define Ultimate for you?
I'll give some rules for this game.

You are to add up to "10" Nintendo characters/first n' seond party characters.
And you can have up to "5" 3rd parties.

Now, it's to personalize what would for "you" make the Smash from where it currently is, to the "Ultimate".
Which characters are left, who are realizable still that is.

I'll write mine, but in the mean time, I'd love to hear from your perspectives.
Try to reason why they'd be a good fit to make it your ultimate.
First Party
1. Plasm Wraith
2. King K. Rool
3. Bandana Dee
4. Daruk
5. Petey Piranha
6. Buzzwole
7. ARMS character, preferably Min Min or Helix
8. Chibi-Robo
9. Dillon
10. Rex & Pyra/Mythra

Third Party
1. Slime
2. Simon Belmont

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Sega's too big to be bought. They've got the power of Hatsune Miku.
Counterpoint:

Hatsune Miku in Smash Bros.

Hatsune. Miku. IN SMASH BROS.

I agree with Skyblade12 Skyblade12 . Jack Frost would make an amazing assist trophy, but I feel like Sakurai would go for someone like Yu Narukami or the P3 Protagonist as those are better representatives of the SMT franchise as a whole.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Sega's too big to be bought. They've got the power of Hatsune Miku.
But imagine. We could have Camelot, ATLUS, and Intelligent Systems all working together on a new Shining Force game...

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Jack Frost would be an amazing Assist Trophy. Not sure if he should be playable.
Serious inquiry, why do you feel that way?

I feel he has plenty of potential to be playable, and would be the optimal blanket-representative for Megami Tensei games and Atlus as a company.

Polan

Smash Lord
In the same game where Sakurai appears to be embracing the idea of Echo Fighters, Dark Samus's Assist Trophy went missing, as well as Samus's Dark Samus costume. Individually, any of these three things would've been accepted as just happenstance. All three at the same time? People are very rightfully suspicious about the fate of Samus's dark doppleganger.

I mean, Sakurai wouldn't introduce a new category of characters just to only add one new character to it, would he? I think it's pretty safe to say we'll see a few more Echos, and fittingly, Dark Samus seems uniquely well-positioned to be one of them.
palettes get cut all the time, we still got plenty of assist trophies left to be revealed and echoes being a thing doesn't magically boost dark samus' chances. it just sounds like people riling themselves up for something that may not happen based on a couple of coincidences. which i guess isn't too surprising considering the pyrosphere mess and what's currently going on with waluigi...

osby

Smash Obsessed

I feel he has plenty of potential to be playable, and would be the optimal blanket-representative for Megami Tensei games and Atlus as a company.
This is turning into Black Mage/Cloud argument.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

A Chocobo or Black Mage could've been the playable representative for Square Enix, yet Sakurai chose Cloud instead as he is the poster boy of the Final Fantasy franchise.

Similarly, I could see Sakurai choosing someone like Yu Narukami or the P3 Protag as they're seemingly the poster boys of the SMT series (lets face it, Persona is more popular than SMT in general).

EDIT: osby osby beating me to the punch.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

Mostly because I don't think he's enough of a character compared to the actual characters of their games.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Found this "leak" tonight on discord. The website is from eventhubs and it looks like it is from the comment section of a smash article.

Tear it to shreds guys and gals.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
"For evidence"
Sorry, the evidence for leaks is sources. Fan theories use that sort of evidence.

Roberk

Smash Champion
If I wanted Chrom (and more Awakening pandering), I'd want him to be a Roy echo.
Remember his sword is supposed to be the same size and weight as Lucina's.
Lucina is the one out of character. The Exalted Falchion and the Parallel Falchion (Chrom and Lucina’s shared swords) are supposed to be two-handed, like Ike’s Ragnell.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Nintendo buying Sega would be bigger than everything:4mario:and:4sonic:have been through with and against each other (Console War, Olympics, Smash...bigger than all of that)

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
And those are pretty much some of the safest guesses possible

One of the problem with nintendo buying sega is that one of Sega's bigger series, Total War, is on PC.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Found this "leak" tonight on discord. The website is from eventhubs and it looks like it is from the comment section of a smash article.

It includes Ashley, so of course it's real. :p

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
A Chocobo or Black Mage could've been the playable representative for Square Enix, yet Sakurai chose Cloud instead as he is the poster boy of the Final Fantasy franchise.

Similarly, I could see Sakurai choosing someone like Yu Narukami or the P3 Protag as they're seemingly the poster boys of the SMT series (lets face it, Persona is more popular than SMT in general).
I pointed out that Persona is way more popular in a post just a little above that. More specifically, I pointed out that it has more total sales with 10 less years of existence. I also said that I'd prefer Joker, and Jack Frost was just supposed to be a meeting-in-the-middle sort of thing that made sense. I agree that it's very similar to the Black Mage/Chocobo argument, but truthfully speaking Final Fantasy 7 had a much larger impact on the gaming world than probably the Megami Tensei franchise as a whole. I think if we're going to get a Persona character specifically, it'd be Joker or Yu. Joker being new and Persona 5 being ridiculously more popular than any other game in the Megami Tensei franchise, or Yu for being the posterboy for forever.

I suppose my gripe with the whole thing is that, while Yu or Joker make sense for Persona, Jack Frost covers Persona and SMT, as well as other miscellaneous Atlus stuff.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Jack Frost would be alright as a playable character.
The only issue I have with the icey boy is that he has very few "real" animations that people can call out and be nostalgic about and the animations he does have are canned and used for spellcasting (namely just Bufu too).

The most interesting thing you could do outside of making him "Ice Mage" would probably to implement his other Jack incarnations somehow.
I think he works much more as an assist trophy who flies in, freezes some guys, and flies out.

If we really were gonna get any accurate SMT representation, it'd probably would be a "summoner" type character with a bunch of demons at their disposal, but still participates in combat. Jack Frost, Pyro Jack, and Pixie being the most obvious demons to pick. In that regard the most representative of SMT as a whole would be SMT1 Hero, but I don't exactly have much affection for him.

Last edited:

Stryks

Smash Hero

Absolutely no way they would be putting someone from Xeno X and not Xeno 2 when Xeno 2 did so much better and has more recognizable characters.

Also Wario doesn't need 2 reps, Wario Ware is not a big enough franchise, if anything it'd be Waluigi but he's been ATed

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Honestly that sounds nice. This is one of those leaks where I look at it and think, "man, that would be really nice if it was true."

Is it probably horribly fake? Yes. It seems more like a hat pick of popular picks that anything else. Still, I'd be okay if this were true. Disappointed by no Ray-man, but I'd be content.

Absolutely no way they would be putting someone from Xeno X and not Xeno 2 when Xeno 2 did so much better and has more recognizable characters.

Also Wario doesn't need 2 reps, Wario Ware is not a big enough franchise, if anything it'd be Waluigi but he's been ATed
The thing is that Xeno 2 came too late for representation. Xeno X was the most recent Xenoblade game when pre-development began and the roster was decided.

Also Waluigi isn't a Wario representative. He's from the Mario series.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I pointed out that Persona is way more popular in a post just a little above that. More specifically, I pointed out that it has more total sales with 10 less years of existence. I also said that I'd prefer Joker, and Jack Frost was just supposed to be a meeting-in-the-middle sort of thing that made sense. I agree that it's very similar to the Black Mage/Chocobo argument, but truthfully speaking Final Fantasy 7 had a much larger impact on the gaming world than probably the Megami Tensei franchise as a whole. I think if we're going to get a Persona character specifically, it'd be Joker or Yu. Joker being new and Persona 5 being ridiculously more popular than any other game in the Megami Tensei franchise, or Yu for being the posterboy for forever.

I suppose my gripe with the whole thing is that, while Yu or Joker make sense for Persona, Jack Frost covers Persona and SMT, as well as other miscellaneous Atlus stuff.
Wasn't Pokemon inspired by Shin Megami Tensei, though? ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom