• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashGT 5 May 7th 2011 London MELEE! CONFIRMED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA

Smash Hero
Without wishing to start a full on political debate, may I ask why? lol. I'm voting no btw, but I wouldn't ask other people to do the same without at least giving some reasons.
cos you is at cambridge and are quite clearly a tory :p

L-J

Smash Ace
'Majority support' is a slippery term imo, but I understand your reasoning. It'll be interesting to see whether the motion goes through or not.

cos you is at cambridge and are quite clearly a tory :p
Lol, true dat. In all seriousness though the Cambridge student populous is massively Lib Dem and the Cambridgeshire seat is currently with them as a result. Personally I dislike the Tories but hate Labour and the Lib Dems much more - negative voting ftw.

VA

Smash Hero
'Majority support' is a slippery term imo, but I understand your reasoning. It'll be interesting to see whether the motion goes through or not.
it won't, which is shame. anything to invoke any kind of political will in the people of a depoliticised and withering electorate is a good thing.

Dimitris

Smash Ace
Don't forget to put to sound on this time. :grin:

And thanks SmashUK youtube for the recomendation on the down syndrome cartoon.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Wow, we just got pwnt. Good games though. I never really knew people played smash in London/UK at all.

-Roymaster

We've got an NTSC disc of smash, and a Wii from America, and a TV from the UK (although there is another from the US, both are flatscreen). So is it just it being flat screen that prevents it from playing at 60 Hz?

rustediron

Smash Lord
1st Prof
2nd Fuzz
3rd Jolteon
4th L-J
5th frugs
5th PMS
7th Tamao
7th Unreal

Drowned, in no particular order:
Alpha Dash
Guin
Zunari
Roy MASTER
Ryan
GM Jack

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
1st prof
2nd charles
3rd me
4th l-j
5th pms and tamoo i think
7th hugo?

that's all I remember, prof didn't drop a single set either

anyway I liked this event, felt like I learnt a lot and had loads of good sets. :) Don't have time for shout-outs atm, will do them tomorrow. however the attendance was really small, charles lost a lot of money, you guys need to man up and start revision early so you can give up one day for a national.

@roy master+the other guy who came: I heard from unreal that you guys were really demotivated afterwards and didn't feel like coming to another event, I know how you guys feel personally so my advice is that if you enjoy the game, you should stick to it even though it is hard. Tournament experience is the best way to learn, so don't feel bad about losing.

also about the tvs, hd tvs lag with melee, I think plasma tvs work just fine though.

rustediron

Smash Lord
Lol I bet mine is more accurate and I just guessed (I didn't stay till end)

EDIT - addendum to Jolteon's post: If you guys like the game then don't be afraid to try and play lots of people and ask for advice on how to improve; as I recally you guys just sat there playing eachother for about 5 hours :S

L-J

Smash Ace
1st prof
2nd charles
3rd me
4th l-j
5th pms and tamoo
7th hugo and unreal

that's all I remember, prof didn't drop a single set either

anyway I liked this event, felt like I learnt a lot and had loads of good sets. :) Don't have time for shout-outs atm, will do them tomorrow. however the attendance was really small, charles lost a lot of money, you guys need to man up and start revision early so you can give up one day for a national.

@roy master+the other guy who came: I heard from unreal that you guys were really demotivated afterwards and didn't feel like coming to another event, I know how you guys feel personally so my advice is that if you enjoy the game, you should stick to it even though it is hard. Tournament experience is the best way to learn, so don't feel bad about losing.

also about the tvs, hd tvs lag with melee, I think plasma tvs work just fine though.
I agree with all of this. For a small tournament (effectively a fest) I had a lot of fun. Roy Master and Ryan really what happened to you happens to everyone at their first tourney! The only failsafe way to get better in tournaments is tournament experience, so if you like the game don't be demotivated. Come back try again and play as many people as you can! Shoutouts later.

IMPORTANT - The Cambridge crew NRS have a bombshell of an announcement to make in the near future. Be prepared for your life never to be the same again. Watch this space.

gm jack

Smash Lord
God damn Tamoo loosing to PMS **** blocking me from bracket again...

But I really enjoyed this got to play a load of people I haven't played a lot/ever.

Zunari - singles was good fun, and you've improved loads. Talking the the cambridge guys on the way back said we looked pretty good as a team. Shame the only competition was some of the best in the country.
AD - really enjoyed playing you. You're falco seems to be getting on really well. Getting up to the standard of your ICs seems to be a matter of putting in the hours of practice to make the movement really smooth.
Jolteon - well done on the placing, and got some good advice in the friendlies. Just stop throwing out gay stuff hoping they will run into it and you could get really good. If you want some more advice on the Falco match up, just say because a few little things really help level it out.
Tamoo - aside from the previous comment, I enjoyed our game. It's a shame you aren't finding jiggs fun, because it look really awesome when you get on a roll.
PMS - your samus is stupid good. 'Nuff said.
Unreal - nothing I can say but you've got really good. Your fox embodied everything I hate about the character.
Guin - not bad at all. Just try not to fsmash and play a bit more and you could be pretty good. The fundamentals were all good. Just a matter of learning the tricks which can swing things in your favour.
New people I didn't know the names of - both of you had really quite good tech skill, and you were only let down by a lack of experience. If you got a bit more involved and came along to some more you could both get pretty good.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Yeah I wasn't really surprised actually. I did get the feeling it was silly to go with Roy- but I guess it doesn't really make a difference because I'm nooby anyways. But yeah, I hope to find another time to come (don't know about how exams will go with it). I have been (subconsciously) looking for tournaments for a while, so I don't think I will stop just because I lost all the time... it would have been really annoying if I just beat everybody.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Yeah I actually ***** this tournament and im glad everything got recorded with GOOD working commentary throughout the entire tournament, there was actually a really good range of sets so I can't wait to watch...

I'M OFFICIALLY THE BEST PLAYER IN THE UK

I've beat Charles 3 tournaments in a row now, and reasonably one sidedly as I beat him 3-1, and then 3-1 again today.

People def need to man up and come to the London Monthly in June, and also Charles you have to host brawl at the next monthly because I know a good amount of people in Croydon interested in attending from some brawl event Alpha Dash dragged me to and it's gonna get you back money and also we can convert them to melee.
AND i'll make a personal effort to get people hyped to go to it....meaning the melee community.

WHEN WILL THE VIDEOS BE UPLAODED???
I'm going to be pissed off if the commentary is corrupted and I will def do shoutouts later.

TLMARTH - Where about are you from anyway because little smashfests here and there happen and those would def help you improve

Tamoo

Smash Master
Lol sorry Jack but I just couldn't put myself to using Jiggs all tournament, and the set against PMS was one of those sets where I just couldn't be bothered lol.

Yeah, I'm not as dissapointed as I thought I would be actually, I may keep up playing random chars a bit more now. I think Peach and Falcon next tournament ;)

Also Unreal our set was sick, you've improved quite a bit I must say :)

j3ly

Smash Champion
i would have slapped this tournament, how much for 3rd in singles nd 2nd in dubs?

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Yeah I actually ***** this tournament and im glad everything got recorded with GOOD working commentary throughout the entire tournament, there was actually a really good range of sets so I can't wait to watch...

I'M OFFICIALLY THE BEST PLAYER IN THE UK

I've beat Charles 3 tournaments in a row now, and reasonably one sidedly as I beat him 3-1, and then 3-1 again today.

People def need to man up and come to the London Monthly in June, and also Charles you have to host brawl at the next monthly because I know a good amount of people in Croydon interested in attending from some brawl event Alpha Dash dragged me to and it's gonna get you back money and also we can convert them to melee.
AND i'll make a personal effort to get people hyped to go to it....meaning the melee community.

WHEN WILL THE VIDEOS BE UPLAODED???
I'm going to be pissed off if the commentary is corrupted and I will def do shoutouts later.

TLMARTH - Where about are you from anyway because little smashfests here and there happen and those would def help you improve
Around Hyde Park, took 1 1/2 hours to get there by car.

Maybe we took a bad route.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
1st Prof
2nd Fuzz
3rd Jolteon
4th L-J
5th frugs
5th PMS
7th Tamao
7th Unreal

Drowned, in no particular order:
Alpha Dash
Guin
Zunari
Roy MASTER
Ryan
GM Jack
Congrats on 3rd Alex :).

Also, nice to see some people being very welcoming to some new players we have. Welcome to the community TLmarth :)

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Around Hyde Park, took 1 1/2 hours to get there by car.

Maybe we took a bad route.
Yeah I think you did take a bad route...I live in South London and it takes me about 90 mins to get there and it's in East London...and you already live in Central London lol.

If you have the money since im pretty sure you didn't have to pay anything for car you should take train OR if you're dad is willing to just find a faster route.

But Unreal, one of the fox players you played against lives extremely close to Victoria station so that's probably a good bet for you.
I would highly advise meeting up with him and maybe attending other fests so just watch out for them :D

ALSO I will be prob making a thread for the tournament just so other people can watch our matches

Tamoo

Smash Master
Charles is uploading rofl, but yeah thanks again Charles for taking the vids from me, saves me a ton, my upload speed is horrible.

But yeah, upload our set, was awesome lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom