• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashing Grounds V: The Final Frontier 5 ** Bi-Weeklies

What side event would you like to see?

• Standard Doubles

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Random Partner Doubles

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Low-Tier Singles

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Fixed-Secondary Singles

• Rat's Amazing FFA Extravaganza

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • No Johns Singles (ft. Corneria, Green Greens, MK2 and Pokefloats)

• Cactus Tournament

• Other (post in thread)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
We had ~45 (44 i think?) last summer the first time MI came. Honestly, the venue can't hold much more than that.

Oh yeah, from what i've noticed the last few times i've been to the SttF's, the college apparently removed all the chairs... There are benches and stuff we usually push around, but bringing chairs might be a good idea.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
I'd like to change my vote from "random partner doubles" to "ditto-only singles"
either random ditto every game, or random ditto just for for game 1, but you ban and counterpick characters instead of stages. random stages the whole time.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Mods can do it.

Most that venue ever held was a Don't Blink where I had 78 individual entrants. Some entered multiple things, but there was 45~ for Brawl and 40~ for Melee, as well as various other fighters.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Too bad there's no chairs anymore.

Bad news, my boss gave me an ultimatum, get this day off, or get the other day I requested off, the week before this off. The week before this is a family get together at my house for like 10 people's birthdays and I already told my mom months ago I would be there, so I can't make this now. :(

I'll definitely try to make it during the summer though.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
If my other manager was the one making the schedule, I would definitely do that... but the one who actually does it would fire me on the spot, lol.

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
Here's a proposal for a side tournament.

Auction Tournament:

Using the official tier list (starting from Fox going down to Pichu) the TO will auction off characters. Players will be locked into the character they buy for the whole tournament. The limit is one character to player (that's how an auction works of course lol).

Bids start at the following values (values change due to the nature of the tournament):

1. Fox-$15
2. Falco-$15
3. Jigglypuff-$10
4. Sheik-$13
5. Marth-$10
6. Peach-$9
7. Falcon-$8
8. ICs-$6
9. Doc-$5
10. Ganon-$4
11. Samus-$4
12. Pikachu-$3
13. Mario-$2
14. Luigi-$1
15. DK-$1
16. Link-$1
17. YL-$1
18. Zelda-$1
19. Roy-$1
20. Mewtwo-$1
21. Yoshi-$0.75
22. G&W-$0.50
23. Ness-$0.50
24. Bowser-$0.25
25. Kirby- $0.25
26. Pichu-$0.25

john!

Smash Hero
^ wouldn't people just buy their mains? that seems like a "top tier tax" more than anything, lol

ideally the payouts would go pretty low in the placings, so people could weigh the cost/benefit of using a cheap low tier character instead of an expensive high tier.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Its too late in the voting for it this time, but I plan to remove the winning side tournament. I will definitely add that in for the voting for the 2nd summer tournament

Jason are you going to be around this summer at all?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Well the 2nd tourney is tentatively scheduled for 6/9. If theres a better date (other than 6/2, i dont want back to back weekends) for you/purdue to make it here, let me know.

Scythe

Smash Master
Interesting idea, but totally meaningless to the top players who would win money and a total slap in the face to anyone who is learning the game and happens to main fox lol

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Well since it is bidding i think the numbers should be normalized a bit more. High tiers would get more bids because of their tier ranking anyways, making their cost go up. At the same time, niche low tiers would go for ultra cheap. Also, I don't feel like breaking dollars so I think it should be at least $1 per with at $1 increments on bids

Meneks

Smash Lord
Eh, 2 singles tournies?

It would be cool to have some type of doubles, or just stick to the voting system since that is what you were originally going to do

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
ummm this bidding side tournament isn't even viable for this upcoming tournament... From what it looks like, it is going to be random partners >_>

viperboy_74

Smash Master
I sort of vote on doing traditional singles and traditional doubles, and do a third fun tourney afterwords.

Something outside the traditional may steer some people away or everyone may not enter random partner doubles, however most people would do both (I'd love 3 tourneys at a tourney)

:phone:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Well I'm not sure if we would have time for 3 events. The venue doesn't really "close" so we can theoretically stay until were done. I usually only hear from Tink though, saying that he wants to get shiz done early so he can leave. This could just be the case of a vocal minority; would people stay for a 3rd event (after singles)? I could manage the tournaments tightly so that all 3 could be done by midnight or 1.

As for why traditional doubles is being replaced: the relative turnout for doubles has been low and generally uncompetitive. Kels/Tink team and the R bros team but beyond that everyone else just picks random partners and does whatever. I put it up to vote whether normal teams should happen or one of the side tournaments; the majority seem to want random partner doubles (which I suppose reflects the majority's normal choice anyways).

ORLY

Smash Master
i would, but typically everyone's outta there ASAP

what's your idea, sveet? reg doubles, reg singles, side event X?

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
I like the idea of the auction tournament idea. Still not sure if I'll be in MW for this summer, but if so, I'll be at a few of these.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Well for the record I think Jason was just putting example numbers in there. I would make them more fair if it actually happened.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
I'll be at this thing. I'm tired of all you noobs inflating your SSBPD rating by playing in these scrub tournies every week. Time to get in on that action. Ill bring a TV since ORLY is a bad host and brings nothing but his johnz to the table.

Top Bottom