• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMASHTALITY III Results

thatsmybutta

Smash Journeyman
Butta... Why does it matter? Even if they rigged it that you fought babies til the quarter finals, you still would have lost to the top players without winning money...

Use this weekend as a learning experience. Think of the mistakes you made while playing, and try to improve on them. So your best in your matches, meet new people, and have fun!

As m2k says: It's never about the money.

TSA did a good job running a fair, exciting tourn, in a small venue! If they just did random seeding, then Chu vs m2k first round, and forward vs zang. Two people go to losers, and on drops early. It's seeding, man! The top players should fight the worst early on, so the top layers will fight at the finals, making it just that much more fun to watch!

btw, has anyone mentioned Reik being a freaking monster?

Edit: Use miltiquote. Triple posting is bad.
were you even there? and didnt i beat you? first of all, i dont really need to learn anything especially from you, and second of all thanks woz for being honest and admitting it. i dont really care if you think seeding is better, brackets should be random, thats all im gona say for now i dont really care what tsa has to say about this. props to copycat and do for being the only cool people left in that crew. peace

Reik

Smash Ace
Mow had random brackets at his tournament in PA a little while ago. He and I played first round because of it. (He eventually got 1st and I got 3rd.) As a result, Velocity had to play me first round in the losers bracket and got last place when he definitely didn't deserve it.

Random brackets have the potential to be far worse than seeded brackets. I would rather have poorly seeded brackets than completely random brackets.

EDIT: Yay I'm a Smash Apprentice.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
were you even there? and didnt i beat you?
Yes, and /laughs. I only lost to d1, and tetra in tourn. MMplz.

On a side note: Bailey, being the Inui of ny insists of bad things. Avoid flames, and change that! :D!!! (Note: jk!)

And Copy, that MM is coming... You might have to wait a month or so, though. I need some serious practice. Unless you wanna play some GGXX/ or Naruto4, in which I'll come to your house tomorrow! ^_^

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
were you even there? and didnt i beat you? first of all, i dont really need to learn anything especially from you, and second of all thanks woz for being honest and admitting it. i dont really care if you think seeding is better, brackets should be random, thats all im gona say for now i dont really care what tsa has to say about this. props to copycat and do for being the only cool people left in that crew. peace
You make it sound like I was trying to hide it. Seeding is perfectly common in high level tournaments.

Consider the situation where all the good players are on one side of the bracket and only decent players on the other. As mentioned, those good players will get knocked to losers earlier. Not only that, but the second bracket will get somebody who will make it far into the bracket without deserving it.

Since we're discussing it, I seem to recall Bailey rigging one of his tournaments by putting all the good players on one side and himself with the other players in the other. Bailey, of course, makes an easy 3rd place. Could you say he deserved it?

A random bracket can and often does make the above possible. Seeding prevents this from happening as much as it can. Which bracket do you think people will look at and respect more?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
WoZ don't explain yourself to some guy who can't grasp a simple concept.

Seeding is better then random brackets, because it makes the brackets more fair for everyone. Simple.

forward

Smash Champion
Thanks for throwing the tournament WoZ, I had lots of fun. Once again I have to say that the t.v.'s set up for friendles was a great idea.

*tear* my matches with m2k weren't recorded =(

Brookman

Smash Hero
doesn't seeding pit the better players against the lower level players? seeding isn't more fair it's just done to create (hopefully) the most accurate results.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
28 hours no sleep. That's all I have to say.....
Hey, I think this is the right person, we played a respectable Samus ditto in the back room after both of us got knocked out of the tournament. Good stuff.

No shoutouts for me? =(

w/e, amazing tourney ^_^

reik *****
Shout out! :laugh:

Why didn't you warn me that your name was spelt funky? Anyway, I'll let you know what tourny me and my crew are headed off to next, hopefully I can get those DVDs back from you, after some good matches are added to Youtube. Stichface twice consecutively FTW!:psycho:

Brookman

Smash Hero
I don't see what makes you ********, but I've not really been paying attention to what's going on in here. Anyway, when people complain about 'death brackets' and stuff, like people back at cata 3 it just makes me sick. Even if a bracket is random, unless you are up against m2k or pc or someone of that calibur then you just suck. Don't complain, just get better.

Upon scrolling up a bit I saw a post. Now I understand, but I still disagree. You are too hot and amazing to be ********.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
. Even if a bracket is random, unless you are up against m2k or pc or someone of that calibur then you just suck. Don't complain, just get better.
I wouldnt even complain if that were to happen. I just aim to NOT run into my crew members(the guys i always play) in the first round. Thats the only reason I would want seeding(regional that is)

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I see reasons to seed the bracket, and reasons not to. Most people that run big tournaments seed it, to avoid "death brackets" and also avoid seeing something like PC Chris vs. KoreanDJ first round. The worst tournament organization I've ever seen was for a different game, and they ran a single elimination unseeded bracket. The results were indicative of something being wrong with the bracket, because you'd have the equivalent of someone as good as KoreanDJ getting last place, and the equivalent of a noob that doesn't wavedash or lcancel getting as high as 4th. I'm glad that every reasonable tournament host at least makes the tournament double elimination and/or round robin.

Brookman

Smash Hero
That's reasonable, but sometimes it happens. Sometimes I stab my friends in gang fights.

edit: @ Mr. Swift, of course.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
At tournaments, you have the chance to play dozens of casual matches...

As much as it sucks to play your friends, it's really not that big a deal.

I mean, in a tournament match, you're going to strive to win, without thinking about how to improve, so either way playing your friends, or some other person won't have an effect soon after.

Maybe it my amp you into becoming a better player, but so can friendly matches.

Some people just need things to complain about to spice things up. Instead of whining about brackets, or how people are lame, why not say something positive and make a few friends? There are a ton of cool people in the smash community, and by being annoying you're setting yourself back.

Count your blessings kids, for they are many.

Also, try not to be intimidated by some of the high ranking smashers. About 75% of them are really cool, and if you ask them for a match, odds are they'll oblige. They will usually answer any questions you have as well.

There are just too many people vying for that lone wolf/James Dean role these days. Not enough people want to just be kind. I mean, I know nice guys finish last... But who would want to lose that, just to be in first?

But, yeah... Let's move on. Howabout we talk about that crazy delicious Strawberry Shake?

Brookman

Smash Hero
that was almost profound, then yous said something abount lone wolf/James Dean.

I've never met any uncool smashers. Unless you count me, I'm a ****.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
that was almost profound, then yous said something abount lone wolf/James Dean.

I've never met any uncool smashers. Unless you count me, I'm a ****.
Are you mad because I am the only one eating cake? (I'm praying you get this. No one ever does.)

pockyD

Smash Legend
At tournaments, you have the chance to play dozens of casual matches...

As much as it sucks to play your friends, it's really not that big a deal.

I mean, in a tournament match, you're going to strive to win, without thinking about how to improve, so either way playing your friends, or some other person won't have an effect soon after.
playing someone in friendlies is significantly different than playing them in a tournament setting. money matches are close, but it's still not quite the same thing (and gets expensive after a while if you want to play people better than you =\ )

there is no harm in regional seeding, especially for very small pockets of people (like 4-5 man crews out of a 64 man bracket isn't noticeable at all)

dmbrandon

Smash Master
I agree, pocky... But these things don't always work out perfectly. Working out a 64 man bracket in <20 minutes is no easy feat.

Not@pocky: Instead of everyone bashing it, maybe try lending a hand next time by not screaming while WoZ is trying to get the rules covered, and not take the TVs that are for tournaments.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. I believe this applies to all things.

Sometimes, it takes experience to understand. You should run a 50+ person tourn, it gets hard. Especially when 10 groups of peple come up and say 'HAY DONT MAKE ME FIGHT MY FRIENDS OR THAT EGGM GUY... CAN YOU PUT ME AGAINST LIKE SOMEONE BAD? OH SNAP IS THAT GIRL, CAN I FACE HER FIRST ROUND? LOLOLER."

However, pocky's argument has ground, considering he helped with recording, and other tourn biz. People who didn't help out should just be glad it went on. I'm sure another day on World of Warcraft would have been super exciting comparatively.

Offtopic: Next smash tourn, we should have a pie eating contest. Whoever wins should get a bye!

Edit: I'm taking jfox's place tonight as lead debate captain. He will resume normal duties tomorrow. XD

pockyD

Smash Legend
it shouldn't matter who helped or contributed to the tournament; no one should get special treatment based on anything other than an established track record when it comes to seeding

TIO has a built-in mechanism to separate players from the same region; while this doesn't ensure anything past the 1st round (copycat vs. sneak?), with the thing already set up, there's no reason not to use it. Manually altering matchups after that is something I would disagree with, however

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Never used TIO, but it sounds like a world of help.

And I didn't mention your helping being a variable in your seed rank, so much as your arguments weight.

As for the manual altering, I'm not sure if that happened, although sometimes a bit could help.

God- you have to use a light touch... Like a pickpocket, or a safe cracker.

D1

Banned via Administration
I apologize for not giving shoutouts but there were too many cool ppl under one roof.

So shoutout to everyone that went...especially my *** Flip!

I was impressed by his Link ^_^. Handicapped or not he still kicked@$$!!!

Now IMO thats somethin worth capturing on video.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Butta... Why does it matter? Even if they rigged it that you fought babies til the quarter finals, you still would have lost to the top players without winning money...
And? What kinda theory is that? Please enter singles next time :ohwell:

Top Bottom