• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake vs. Metaknight

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
ive had an mk survive an utilt on fd @ 115% fresh. di is a *******. and its really not like that utilt is easy to hit with...

if you C4 yourself you can be footstooled to death, or MK can hit you again on your way back anyway. even if you typically do make it back ok, you still did a ton of damage to yourself in the process, just because you don't die doesn't mean MK didn't gain something on you
reverse shuttle loop is a beast punisher for c4 recoveries. seriously.

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
ive had an mk survive an utilt on fd @ 155% fresh. di is a *******. and its really not like that utilt is easy to hit with...

reverse shuttle loop is a beast punisher for c4 recoveries. seriously.
It must have been the second hitbox, and even then I find this hard to believe. I can't picture MK living any utilt hit at 155% fresh.

Always cross up on MK's shield. If you're hitting his shield, think twice before doing it, and if you're going to, try and hit the back of it because then you won't get dash grabbed unless it was really bad spacing. You will probably get ftilted, but learn to SDI it.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Maybe sourspotted. Fresh sweetspot Utilt KO at only 102% in FD no matter how good the MK's DI is. MK is so light and has a slow fast fall.

$....$

Smash Rookie
should i just wait until mk jumps then toss a nade at him. cause sometimes when i toss a nade the mk would dash over the stage and grab me right away and send me off the stage...

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
Don't try to toss nades if MK is fairly close to you, especially if you're right near the edge.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
Depends on the stage really. At high %'s, it's smart to camp the middle of the stage because then Snake is pretty unkillable. On a stage like FD, you have plenty of room to be in between the middle and edge of the stage to camp MK. If you drop a nade in front of you and let it stand there, the MK can't really do much without risking getting blow up by the nade, which means you can last second toss it at him if he doesn't approach.

etecoon

Smash Hero
afro if you really disapprove of half of what is being said in this topic you could actually take some initiative to clean it up yourself by making COHERENT criticisms of what is being said instead of vague one liners, coming in every few days and going "lolno" isn't really helping anyone

AfroQT

Smash Master
afro if you really disapprove of half of what is being said in this topic you could actually take some initiative to clean it up yourself by making COHERENT criticisms of what is being said instead of vague one liners, coming in every few days and going "lolno" isn't really helping anyone
Nah no one will listen to me anyway.

AfroQT

Smash Master
if you C4 yourself you can be footstooled to death, or MK can hit you again on your way back anyway. even if you typically do make it back ok, you still did a ton of damage to yourself in the process, just because you don't die doesn't mean MK didn't gain something on you
The footstool can be avoided if you choose to c4 yourself early enough, if the c4 explosion kills you then your pretty ****ed, but if your back far enough and can live through the c4, you can easily survive through most potential gimps even at 100+%. Dont be confused, i definitely get foot stooled, it happens, but i've avoided many by c4ing much eariler then i would of normally, or pulling back much further then normal -> into c4.

And y our final line makes no sense at all, im telling you a way to avoid being gimped, the other option, which is get gimped, is definitely bad. It doesnt matter if MK gained something on you, what matters is what he didnt gain on you (pretty much, you got hurt but didnt die, which is important since 1 dthrow on mk could easily mean 60% or a kill)

I dont think MK has any advantage on most neutrals. I guess people have problems with dair camping but i have no idea how. If anything, as long as im not like..a stock and 100% behind, im perfectly fine with MK dair camping. If MK is dair camping a whole stage away, you cant possibly be hit, while you can throw grenades at him from a decent range (that you pretty much get to choose if hes truly "camping") while mixing up with other random options like Bair/Nair/Uair w/e. Pretty much if you can make MK air dodge you have the potential to hit him. If hes "Dair camping" close to you (????) uhhh hes in range for multiple...everything haha hes obviously not camping if hes on top of you dairing.

Haha i just completely disregarded my last post.

etecoon

Smash Hero
And y our final line makes no sense at all, im telling you a way to avoid being gimped, the other option, which is get gimped, is definitely bad. It doesnt matter if MK gained something on you, what matters is what he didnt gain on you (pretty much, you got hurt but didnt die, which is important since 1 dthrow on mk could easily mean 60% or a kill)
I think it does matter if you want to claim that it's an even matchup. as I said, YES it is definitely preferable to avoid the kill, but MK is still piling on a lot of damage. and I also don't see how you get 60% off of a dthrow unless it's on a platform or the MK is way too predictable

I dont think MK has any advantage on most neutrals. I guess people have problems with dair camping but i have no idea how. If anything, as long as im not like..a stock and 100% behind, im perfectly fine with MK dair camping. If MK is dair camping a whole stage away, you cant possibly be hit, while you can throw grenades at him. If hes "Dair camping" close to you (????) uhhh hes in range for multiple...everything haha hes obviously not camping if hes on top of you dairing.
Haha i just completely disregarded my last post.
I've always used my ground game against snake as MK personally and I've always felt it was an advantageous matchup(at least I don't dair camp much), I think if MK is patient it's just really hard for snake to do anything because MK can stay outside of snake's range and anything snake does lags and is punishable. although I've also never felt like it was a large disadvantage as snake vs MK so I've just thought it was close but MK's favor

AfroQT

Smash Master
I think it does matter if you want to claim that it's an even matchup. as I said, YES it is definitely preferable to avoid the kill, but MK is still piling on a lot of damage. and I also don't see how you get 60% off of a dthrow unless it's on a platform or the MK is way too predictable
SEE this is the **** im talking about. This is why i dont even bother on matchup threads. Essentially i just gave you another option, instead of saying "oh yeah man, i'll try that next time" you just say "no no no man this is how it is". ????? WTF??? And im confused, what MKs do you play, why cant you land a dthrow on a platform. I've landed grabs on seibrik on platforms, often enough to the point where i consider it a huge part of the matchup if landed. No idea why it would be this IMPOSSIBLE thing. MK's can be pressured as well rofl.

I've always used my ground game against snake as MK personally and I've always felt it was an advantageous matchup(at least I don't dair camp much), I think if MK is patient it's just really hard for snake to do anything because MK can stay outside of snake's range and anything snake does lags and is punishable. although I've also never felt like it was a large disadvantage as snake vs MK so I've just thought it was close but MK's favor
Snake can bait MK just as much as MK can bait snake on the ground. Infact Snake can take it a step further. Cooked grenades force MK to play defensive on the ground MK should never be able to just walk up to you. If MK is playing the spacing game (which seibrik does ooo soo well) you have quite a few options. If you ever feel unsure about anything grenade can solve the problem. You also have to have the mindset that mk isnt this unstoppable juggernaut that people think he is. MK's get scared, and play defensive, and make mistakes just like everyone else. No one is immune to this. You can condition MK to think one thing, and then land other attacks just like anyone else.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Afro, you say snake has all the options and tools to beat mk, but do you think he doesn't have even more for every solution you have to 1 problem? The theory crafting through text is sort of dumb most of the time, but what do you think of things like mk being able to juggle snake so well and give him so much damage after a single mistake. An mk sitting just outside tilt range with a shield is hard to deal with for example, you cant try to get in and grab because he'll hit you or run away, and if you tilt you'll get shielded.....do you just get away in a situation like this? It might just be me, but situations like this just really **** snake over, as well as when you're in the air. I know snake has like alot of options when falling, but its not too hard to avoid them and chase him still.....if anything you can just wait on the ground for him to fall if you follow his movements and toss him back up and away if anything....not saying its gonna happen everytime but its prone to keep giving you lots of damage and let mk stay in the lead.

I know snake can live long vs. mk, but its also hard at the same time to be able to hit an mk at the right percentage with utilt, they get too defensive and leave themselves open to moves that can only give more damage for awhile, playing it safe and trying to wait for you to make a mistake seeing how punishable snake can be compared to mk.

If you see anything you find wrong in here instead of "not bothering" just point out what you think of it.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Afro, you say snake has all the options and tools to beat mk, but do you think he doesn't have even more for every solution you have to 1 problem? The theory crafting through text is sort of dumb most of the time, but what do you think of things like mk being able to juggle snake so well and give him so much damage after a single mistake.
Then just for you...

An mk sitting just outside tilt range with a shield is hard to deal with for example, you cant try to get in and grab because he'll hit you or run away, and if you tilt you'll get shielded.....do you just get away in a situation like this? It might just be me, but situations like this just really **** snake over, as well as when you're in the air.
Not trying to be a **** at all but the situation you describe makes no sense, MK must pick an option, he cant POSSIBLY hit you if you try to grab WHILE shielding an ftilt. Its a simple option, a mixup, while not a traditional mixup (for the SF players out there), its still a mixup. Should he be standing out of your ftilt range, waiting for you to make a move, why is slowly walking forward an ftilting him not an option? By slowing walking into ftilt range, you force MK to make a decision, all of which you have answers to. No not just answers, COUNTERS to. Should he choose the option of attacking you, you have the option to shield, should he choose to shield, you have the option to run up and grab. Should the MK start attacking when he sees you running you, you have the option to shield. So on and so forth. If you look at the other option, which is he hits you (or run away? which means nothing was lost or gained, which isnt bad) then YOU have the option of guessing this and shielding and counterattacking. Im pretty sure there isnt a move MK can do right in front of me that i cant punish if i shield..that isnt grab (while Up B is invincible, after shield if you walk forward abit and shield again you can grab the glide attack, if he goes over you, its a free bair/uair). But if you play scared of MK, you are almost GUARENTEED to not only choose the same option over and over (which if the MK is smart..or even just NOT stupid, they'll choose their option that beats it). Alot of times you can even pick the wrong option once, and STILL either back out without being counterattacked OR still manage to land a hit. Perfect example is first hit of ftilt, its completely reasonable to pmuch always expect the second hit of tilt. Its common to, on HIT of ftilt, to run up and grab as a "mixup" to more damage. Its just as viable on shield. And if they get conditioned to that and try to counter that (with ...lets say dsmash), that can be predicted and they can be punished. This is why i said the game goes alot smarter then people think, even if people dont realize they are doing it (but they definitely are). The options are there but people either choose to ignore them....well yeah people just choose to ignore them pmuch. It begins with you thinking MK vs Snake is AH THERE IS NO WAY I CAN WIN IF HE PLAYS 100% PERFECT AHHH.

I know snake has like alot of options when falling, but its not too hard to avoid them and chase him still.....if anything you can just wait on the ground for him to fall if you follow his movements and toss him back up and away if anything....not saying its gonna happen everytime but its prone to keep giving you lots of damage and let mk stay in the lead.
Im not gonna sit here and act like the matchup isnt hard. Because it is. MK has alot of advantages, but snake has quite a few himself. Dthrow is absolutely terrible for MK, not only is it probably our BEST kill setup, but you can easily wrack up 30% or more. Almost all of mks roll options can be reacted to. His best one is get up attack because it starts behind him. All other options can be punished on reaction with HARDLY ANY practice at all. If there is a edge in front of metaknight, another dthrow is very probable. When you think about it, you may think you need 4 or 5 dthrows to do decent damage but in reality you only need to do 2 or 3 and END the chain with an ftilt. This is a hefty 50% with 2 dthrows and a ftilt (okay man it might be like 40% w/e) If you take it any further then 2, it gets ********, but its important to end with a powerful hit like ftilt. AND if mk is at kill percent, you have the possibility to land a kill. That means you could potentially START the first dthrow at 80%, land 2 more dthrows, then kill MK with a uptilt. Obviously this isnt easy, its directly mind vs mind, and im not saying that you are GUARENTEED damage in anyway shape or form. But its a huge advantage for snake. Oh and if you land a dthrow on a platform (like bfield or smashville), its ******** how much damage mk should take.

I know snake can live long vs. mk, but its also hard at the same time to be able to hit an mk at the right percentage with utilt, they get too defensive and leave themselves open to moves that can only give more damage for awhile, playing it safe and trying to wait for you to make a mistake seeing how punishable snake can be compared to mk.

If you see anything you find wrong in here instead of "not bothering" just point out what you think of it.
Honestly when i play snake, i feel like its about taking opportunity, maybe thats every char (i only play Snake), but it feels that with Snake, its worth living to 170%, through all the MK bull****, then killing the MK in a chain of quick/powerful attacks, whether it be through dthrow or good predictations. In my mind, the fact that MK can gimp/juggle me in the air is what even gives MK a chance. Its also possible im being overly optimistic about the matchup.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I guess its hard to think farther then the situation in front of you, and to go in depth into how to solve it. I guess I've been looking at it like its a math problem that I dont bother solving after sight of it. But as to how you said you weren't gonna contribute, its something like this that can help put fire into a dim and unintelligent convo that get people moving forward and talking about the RIGHT things so that it all works out well. Dont hesitate to throw things out to get things moving instead of throwing out that elitist and laughing at those who are wrong ;)

AfroQT

Smash Master
I guess its hard to think farther then the situation in front of you, and to go in depth into how to solve it. I guess I've been looking at it like its a math problem that I dont bother solving after sight of it. But as to how you said you weren't gonna contribute, its something like this that can help put fire into a dim and unintelligent convo that get people moving forward and talking about the RIGHT things so that it all works out well. Dont hesitate to throw things out to get things moving instead of throwing out that elitist and laughing at those who are wrong ;)
The problem is, im 100% sure someone will post with the general summary of their post being "no no no that doesnt work". At that point im like okay man you win, im wrong.

That bolded part is probably the absolute best way to describe how alot of people see MK. Im not saying MK isnt the best, but so many people just give up and go on about how its impossible, how can they even expect to win versus that point even if the matchup is even. The matchup might be 60/40 (in some peoples eyes), buts its 100/0 if you go into the match thinking you have no chance if they just "do this into this into this and do this when i do this".

Honestly if you ever want to discuss a matchup with me just AIM me. Im not on AIM much, but when i am i'll talk to whoever. Or PM me or something.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
That assumes you have enough time to pull out two nades. I was more or so saying it's a bad situation if the MK is semi close and goes for a dash grab after you pull out one nade.

etecoon

Smash Hero
SEE this is the **** im talking about. This is why i dont even bother on matchup threads. Essentially i just gave you another option, instead of saying "oh yeah man, i'll try that next time" you just say "no no no man this is how it is". ????? WTF???
it's hard for me to say "I'll try that next time" because I don't main snake? my perspective on this matchup is primarily as META KNIGHT, I don't see taking 60% from a grab or getting grabbed on a platform because unless my memory is completely ****ed it pretty much never happens to me. perhaps I just haven't played snake's that try that enough and it's an experience thing but that's just what I have observed and in my head it doesn't make much sense for MK to be parallel to snake in front of him on a platform

No idea why it would be this IMPOSSIBLE thing. MK's can be pressured as well rofl.
obviously, I said I think it's a close matchup and I lose to snake's all the time(like 0-4 vs fatal in the past month lol). I'm not one of the ******* that thinks that MK is always invincible in all situations I only think that he has a SLIGHT advantage

I also agree with almost everything you said about mixups and I do think that it is PRETTY MUCH even on neutrals for the most part, I think that MK's counterpicks are a lot stronger is the main thing that changes it. games 1 and 2 can be dead even but if you lost game 1 there's a very good chance you lose game 3, much more so than the other way around IMO

AfroQT

Smash Master
That assumes you have enough time to pull out two nades. I was more or so saying it's a bad situation if the MK is semi close and goes for a dash grab after you pull out one nade.
This makes no sense, if you pulled a grenade and think mk is gonna dash ANYTHING you. You can grenade grab. If you've dropped the grenade, you can pivot grab, or ftilt. If you have the grenade down and he isnt going for a grab, you are free to lob your next one. If hes standing close enough to react to a grenade throw, hes in range for a grenade grab or ftilt. And pulling a grenade and dropping it is what you do to make yourself safe incase he does go for a grab in the first place, making the 2nd grenade you lob a much safer option because your first grenade is protecting you.

AfroQT

Smash Master
it's hard for me to say "I'll try that next time" because I don't main snake? my perspective on this matchup is primarily as META KNIGHT, I don't see taking 60% from a grab or getting grabbed on a platform because unless my memory is completely ****ed it pretty much never happens to me. perhaps I just haven't played snake's that try that enough and it's an experience thing but that's just what I have observed and in my head it doesn't make much sense for MK to be parallel to snake in front of him on a platform.
I dont understand why you are here saying NO NO NO that doesnt work if your not looking at it through snakes perspective. If you've never takin 60% from a grab, you've either never fought good snakes, OR they arent good at the dthrow mixup, because its ********. Anyone whos ever fought a snake from FL will tell you, thats how we roll niiiiiggggaaaaa. As for the platform thing, you can scare MK into airdodging just like anyone else, and in some cases they'll airdodge onto a platform right into a grab. Or if im on a platform and they go for a Up B, i can grab that as well. If they go for a tornado while im recovering, and I airdodge through it, i can land on a platform (battlefield is a great example cuz there isnt anywhere you can land where you cant be grabbed from a platform at some point) and grab them on the way down. Its unlikely, but extremely rewarding if it is landed, game changing i'd say if the snake is good at dthrow mixup.

obviously, I said I think it's a close matchup and I lose to snake's all the time(like 0-4 vs fatal in the past month lol). I'm not one of the ******* that thinks that MK is always invincible in all situations I only think that he has a SLIGHT advantage

I also agree with almost everything you said about mixups and I do think that it is PRETTY MUCH even on neutrals for the most part, I think that MK's counterpicks are a lot stronger is the main thing that changes it. games 1 and 2 can be dead even but if you lost game 1 there's a very good chance you lose game 3, much more so than the other way around IMO
I think Snake does pretty good on alot of CPs, people just think that he doesnt. Or Snakes dont know how to play on them and havent bothered to.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I love snake on delfino and brinstar. Even though people tell me he's trash on those stages. :| I even cp delfino sometimes....=/. Some people just seem a bit narrow minded when it comes to snakes stages..

AfroQT

Smash Master
Honestly, this is coming from someone who only plays Snake so if im wrong tell me, but being good on a stage requires you to practice on it so you know what setups you can do, as well as what you can do with grenades, wheres good places for mines c4s, upsmashes, completely random things that snake can make alot happen with. If you dont practice on Cps (i definitely dont...and i should), you'll definitely play bad on them. I dont think that alot of the CPs are as bad as people think. Dont confuse that with "SNAKE OWNS ON ALL CPS"

etecoon

Smash Hero
I don't think snake is bad on delfino at all, I actually like that stage vs MK as snake myself... but brinstar? LOL

AfroQT

Smash Master
I don't think snake is bad on delfino at all, I actually like that stage vs MK as snake myself... but brinstar? LOL
I dont think brinstar is that bad for Snake. I think its about stage control, oh and if snake lands a grab roflllllll gl hf mk

Attila_

BRoomer
agreed. delphino isnt half bad at all... brinstar is ok too i think. i mean, not good, but not as bad as FRIGATE!

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
This makes no sense, if you pulled a grenade and think mk is gonna dash ANYTHING you. You can grenade grab. If you've dropped the grenade, you can pivot grab, or ftilt. If you have the grenade down and he isnt going for a grab, you are free to lob your next one. If hes standing close enough to react to a grenade throw, hes in range for a grenade grab or ftilt. And pulling a grenade and dropping it is what you do to make yourself safe incase he does go for a grab in the first place, making the 2nd grenade you lob a much safer option because your first grenade is protecting you.
It still doesn't cover all options. An MK can dash at you then jump a Fair/Dair during your grenade grab attempt if you go for that, which if you're near the edge at low %, can put you in semi-bad situation. In general, I just don't think it's a smart idea to hang near the edge at low %'s against MK, because even if you have options to deal with the majority of MK's options, it's still easy to mess up one read, or get read, then punished.

Oh, and about the stages, I agree that Snake really has no "bad' stages. He has the tools to win on all of them if you learn them. Brinstar is great for hiding C4 and Mines, nades even, and Dthrow on platform setups, even though it can be a bad stage due to being a little small for Snake to comfortably move around on. It also depends on what matchups you're playing on stages like Brinstar, RC, and Delfino. It just comes down to how well the player learns it. I always ban RC, because it's my weakest CP right now, even though I believe Snake can do fine there, but also because I'm better on all the other CPs.

Small question, but is it preferable to FF DAir OOS or not?
Fast Fall Dair out of shield? For what reason and why? I can't figure out why you would Dair, of all moves. If you just short hop it OOS, it can punish, but it's risky against people who know how to DI out of it or that can shield it, etc. Just ftilt instead IMO, or grab. I usually use Dair on sidestep spammers or predicting rolls.

AfroQT

Smash Master
It still doesn't cover all options. An MK can dash at you then jump a Fair/Dair during your grenade grab attempt if you go for that, which if you're near the edge at low %, can put you in semi-bad situation. In general, I just don't think it's a smart idea to hang near the edge at low %'s against MK, because even if you have options to deal with the majority of MK's options, it's still easy to mess up one read, or get read, then punished.
Nothing covers all options, absolutely nothing you can do in that situation covers all options, might as well give up, how will you win if you cant pick the "cover all options" option. Obviously being near the edge at low percent is bad, but the grenade option isnt bad, its just an option like many of the other options you have. If any of your options get read, the punishment is the same. Essentially what im saying is, you make absolutely no sense, and everyone should do nothing because you wont cover all options, which is stupid.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
I never said not to do anything, I was just saying so much can go wrong in that situation that it's better not to put yourself in it than to play a guessing game.

AfroQT

Smash Master
I never said not to do anything, I was just saying so much can go wrong in that situation that it's better not to put yourself in it than to play a guessing game.
Better not to put yourself in the edge situation? Because realisticly, that is impossible, because im willing to bet that anywhere between 50 - 100% of the bad situations you get put in happen because the opponent got you there, not because you felt it was time for a bad situation.

RATED

Smash Lord
agreed. delphino isnt half bad at all... brinstar is ok too i think. i mean, not good, but not as bad as FRIGATE!
wrong. that's ur opinion and ur personal experience.

is just that u don't know Frigate that much or that the MK user is better than u in that stage.

bcuz IMO I consider Frigate is a good stage for Snake against MK compared to Brinstar. I had beat MKs there but is hard as hell.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
afro i friggen love how u come back for like two weeks and ur already schooling EVERYONE on the snake boards about everything they've been talkin about since the game came out..

loveee <33333

-unsubscribe-

AfroQT

Smash Master
afro i friggen love how u come back for like two weeks and ur already schooling EVERYONE on the snake boards about everything they've been talkin about since the game came out..

loveee <33333

-unsubscribe-
Ah fellow apprentice of chops
Me and you both know why we see the game alot differently then others.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I think this matchup is even. Ive never seen anything that would suggest otherwise. Snake has options to deal with absolutely everything that MK can throw at him. Even gimps can be avoided mid gimp if you are simply willing to c4 yourself early. The only thing that i think tilts it in MKs favor is gimp potential, but even then dthrow on a platform is essentially the same thing, just alot harder to land.
Gonna have to disagree on you with some things my brother. I say its 55-45. FD I find a little more easier. True you can avoid some early gimps with an early c4, but it can go either way. You may put yourself in a worse position if the metaknight (dasbess) is ready. Snake does NOT have options for everything. MK has some safe set ups. MK can poke us and just run along with nado. The ones that camp and potentially try to time you out are the worst ones. Once they get the lead, it is just a game of catch. I've gotten better at the match up and feel comfortable with most metaknights but there are some that just know the safer set ups and that can run from snake which is dangerous. The moment you jump up and try to catch them, you're in danger. Just some random thoughts I'm posting atm. May post more later.

Edit: Oh, just thought of this. Even if snake does have an option for everything metaknight does, metaknight still has more than one option for everything snake does. Yall agree or no?

AfroQT

Smash Master
***** all i need are options waz goooood snake fo lyfe.

Iunno i just think its 50/50, w/e it really is, it cant be much worse.

Attila_

BRoomer
wrong. that's ur opinion and ur personal experience.

is just that u don't know Frigate that much or that the MK user is better than u in that stage.

bcuz IMO I consider Frigate is a good stage for Snake against MK compared to Brinstar. I had beat MKs there but is hard as hell.
and that's ur opinion.

it goes both ways, i'm afraid.

Top Bottom