• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snapshot Hacking, the easy way! Maestro's guide to breaking GeckoOS's 256-line limit

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
Ah well, it seems this code-loading method has become obsolete

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=226447&page=14

Check out the second post on this page

If any mods read this, I dont want this thread locked just yet.
I use 40 post display in topics, can you link the specific post?
I know you can do that somehow, don't ask me... :psycho:

EDIT: You can link a post by clicking on the number at the top right corner of the post, just found out.

Mama

Smash Ace
Lol, I myself still don't get what we need the keys for, is encrypting the .bin required for the snapshot hack to work or is it just an extra not so necessary step?

Also when you say go to my album to activate the code is there some album in Gecko I don't know about (lol) or is it the album in Brawl itself I can't test right now because my friends are playing the game right now and I'm not sure if taking the SD card while its running is a good idea. I've only been working with code for a day and a half now so I'm about as experienced as a soccer mom with all this stuff. I'm trying to get Brawl+ going + the texture code going and thats it no tweaks other than turning off the buffer code to prevent my Wii freezing. Also does anyone know of any pre-made texture packs out there? I have the CSP's working but no actual textures yet, the ones I downloaded off of a youtube video aren't working for me lol

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Lol, I myself still don't get what we need the keys for, is encrypting the .bin required for the snapshot hack to work or is it just an extra not so necessary step?

Also when you say go to my album to activate the code is there some album in Gecko I don't know about (lol) or is it the album in Brawl itself I can't test right now because my friends are playing the game right now and I'm not sure if taking the SD card while its running is a good idea. I've only been working with code for a day and a half now so I'm about as experienced as a soccer mom with all this stuff. I'm trying to get Brawl+ going + the texture code going and thats it no tweaks other than turning off the buffer code to prevent my Wii freezing. Also does anyone know of any pre-made texture packs out there? I have the CSP's working but no actual textures yet, the ones I downloaded off of a youtube video aren't working for me lol
It needs to be encrypted.
It's a two step process.
First you prepare the bin file with a special header and CRC32 checksums. BrawlPlusTweaker does this "out of the box"
Then after that, you encrypt it. BrawlPlusTweaker encrypts if you have the sdkey and sdiv

It won't work until you encrypt it.

Almas

Smash Lord
You should all be able to use PW's SD loader method now anyways, which doesn't involve any form of snapshot encryption or funny programs. You just put a second GCT into a new location.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
You should all be able to use PW's SD loader method now anyways, which doesn't involve any form of snapshot encryption or funny programs. You just put a second GCT into a new location.
When he says "funny programs" he's talking about BrawlPlusTweaker: Lulz Edition

Yeah, the only real issue with the doubleGCT method was the Level Freezer which has been fixed

But you still need to use BrawlPlusTweaker since Ocarina Code Manager doesn't let you go past 256 lines

spunit262

Smash Journeyman
When he says "funny programs" he's talking about BrawlPlusTweaker: Lulz Edition

Yeah, the only real issue with the doubleGCT method was the Level Freezer which has been fixed

But you still need to use BrawlPlusTweaker since Ocarina Code Manager doesn't let you go past 256 lines
The old one does, but it's hard to find.

Mama

Smash Ace
Ok so do I use the code/codes in this post : http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7025153&postcount=197
And put that in a gct file under codes, and then put the gct I want running in that directory private\wii\RSBE\pf? Like, put the Brawl+ codeset and the texture swap codeset in one gct in that location. Or do I put that gct in the pf folder and keep the Brawl+ codeset where it is in the codes folder?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I like the old version of BrawlTweaker that still did the .bins automatically. :p

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
I haven't checked on this thread in a while, is using button music hacks work for the Snapshot hack?

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
I like the old version of BrawlTweaker that still did the .bins automatically. :p
It still does it automatically as long as you have the sdkey and sdiv files in the same folder.

Also, the old version only works in Windows, not Mac or Linux

wiiztec

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wiiztec
Snapshot method is better becuase you can choose when to activate the second codeset

btw wtf is this "needs to be encoded" bull**** I never needed any SD Keys

Haunted

Smash Cadet
I seem to be having trouble getting the codes to actually work. I am able to load the .bin file from the snapshots, but I cannot get the loaded codes to actually work.

For my .gct in SD/Codes, I have: File Replacement, Disable Custom Stages, Dynamic SD Loader, SD Files, GCT Loader, and Execute GCT, in that order. The textures work properly, and I am able to view the .bin file, so I think I have done this correctly.

Next, I make another .gct and put No Replay Time Limit, and My Music codes, then convert it into a .bin file via Brawl Plus Tweaker. The .bin file doesn't get corrupted because I have both of the necessary files in the folder.

When I put my SD card into the Nintendo Wii, I am able to open the snapshot, but no music codes, or Infinite Replay will work. Maybe I have the incorrect codes in the Code folder?

HntrDrizzt

Smash Rookie
So i have a question regarding playing brawl+ with the texture hacks. I have my files set up like so:

In the codes folder I have my gct file with SD files, Dynamic SD loader, File replacement, and disable custom stages and the last line is the load and execute codes from snapshot. That is all of the gct file i have in the codes folder.

Then for my bin file i did the following. I took the brawl+ v4.0 beta codeset and formatted it in notepad in order to save it as a b+ file. In BrawlPlus Tweaker I took the b+ file i created and added the unrestricted pause and replay camera to it. From here i saved it as a gct file and then converted it to a bin file (never asked anything about sdkeys). So i have this bin file in my private/wii/APP/RSBE/al folder.

Now I believe this is all correct but the problem comes when i try to load the game. I open geckoos and select load game. From here i dont see any place to select the proper snapshot file or anything but instead just loads the game as normal with the texture hacks. So i need to know how to load the texture hacks with brawl+ and not vBrawl.

Thanks

D

Deleted member

so what's with this key stuff?
I can't get the double gct to work (no questions on this Please) so I'm gonna try this.

D

Deleted member

I found 2 bin files with those names and dumped them in the folder and it seems to work (to conversion)

new problem: the codes I found to load all this aren't working. freezes when I open my album, even with no pics on my sd card. does anyone know working PAL loader codes?

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
I found 2 bin files with those names and dumped them in the folder and it seems to work (to conversion)

new problem: the codes I found to load all this aren't working. freezes when I open my album, even with no pics on my sd card. does anyone know working PAL loader codes?
Which version are you using? I know for a fact v1.0 and v2.1 NTSC both work, but v2.0 doesnt

Hey wait...aren't you a code porter? If i gave you a working code for NTSC would you be able to just port it over to pal, seeing as how nobody seems to have any idea where the snapshots codes have disappeared to?

Alternatively, you could ask Y.S. - he ported the codes in the first place

D

Deleted member

I tried some stuff but it appears that the breakpoint is just wrong(don't ask), which means I have to spend another hour or so on this. the only reason I'm doing this is because double gct doesn't work here for some reason, and through USB gecko I'm also running out of options

EDIT: okay that hour turned out to be three minute seventeen. it works perfectly :D

MK26

Smash Master
I tried some stuff but it appears that the breakpoint is just wrong(don't ask), which means I have to spend another hour or so on this. the only reason I'm doing this is because double gct doesn't work here for some reason, and through USB gecko I'm also running out of options

EDIT: okay that hour turned out to be three minute seventeen. it works perfectly :D
great.

Hold on...would you mind telling me exactly what isnt working with the double gct?

D

Deleted member

I don't know what was wrong but it appeared that it was about only my system >____>

it either froze on black after "applying codes" or gave me vBrawl.

walter01

Smash Cadet
i downloaded the texture hacks and snapshot code that you provided, but my wii freezes when it says "Applying Codes" anyone know why this would happen?

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
really quick question.. its probably something I overlooked

Its saying "the file is corrupted. unable to load." on the snapshot. I'm pretty sure I did all the steps right (.gct > .bin b+tweaker, then encrypter program > copy what is in out folder and put that in my al folder on my sd card. Any idea why i'm getting this?

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
Sorry for double post + bump but I seriously can't get the snapshot to not be corrupted, and I dont understand why. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong or provide me with a 5/8/09 nightly build snapshot to see if I can get that to work? if this doesn't work I think I might quit b+ because there's no way im turning in my wii for repair and getting charged extra for system menu hacks :/ I've seen something like that reported.

MK26

Smash Master
really quick question.. its probably something I overlooked

Its saying "the file is corrupted. unable to load." on the snapshot. I'm pretty sure I did all the steps right (.gct > .bin b+tweaker, then encrypter program > copy what is in out folder and put that in my al folder on my sd card. Any idea why i'm getting this?
you dont need to use the encrypter program
as long as you have the sdkey and sdiv in the tweaker folder, you can create snapshots

Takoru

Smash Rookie
It's strange, really strange here...

I tried the double .gct method at first and it wasn't working.

So i thought, I'll try the snapshot method. I downloaded the al_RSBP.bin from here (klick me), but it's not working too, with the snapshot method.
I just don't know what I'm doing wrong!! - I tried it for hours, really!
It would be nice, very nice, if someone could explain me what I'm doing wrong...
It would be nice too, if someone could send me the files (if allowed)

PS: I'm using a PAL wii and in my album, I can just few the al_RSPB.bin like a normal image, it just won't load my codes!

Edit: Only the method with GeckoOS is working, but I'm using an USBloader, so I want to get it working with the snapshot method.

Tony_11

Smash Apprentice
I need help, so im using the usb loader cuz my drive is acting up.

OK, ocarina works, cheats load, i got to vault>album>sd>and see the messed up pic, and click it. i go back and nothing!

i have created the files with the .bins, and load&execue from snapshot, put it in my al folder and nothing?!

help ^^'

Top Bottom