• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So if I vote Obama, I'm going to be kicked out of my grandparents house...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
I'm just gonna say what others are saying, since that seems to be a simple solution and all. Just a) don't tell who you voted for or b) lie and say you voted for someone else. If you're grandparents are serious about kicking you out then by all means I would keep your vote to yourself.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
How'd he win the first time? I've never heard the details of it.
Governor Gray Davis was recalled by the California voters, so a special recall election was held to fill the empty governorship. Arnold won with a plurality of votes.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

A lot to respond here:

As for voting for what we think is the best, I'd say that the best thing we can do is vote for what we want to lead the nation. I understand that Romney and Obama are the only one with a shot at winning, but if I were to say, vote for Gary Johnson (I'm not completely sold on Obama yet mainly due to his mostly awful Obamacare, I just prefer him to Romney), I'm going to do it regardless of odds. At least I'm showing interest in who I want to be president and not just choosing the lesser of two evils.
Holopaw said:
Are you old enough to vote?
Yes, I am eighteen years old.
Holopaw said:
Granted, that wouldn't help the situation with your family considering you want to tell them how you feel, but from what I'm reading they're beyond listening to others and changing their political stance(s).
Sadly, the only thing that wouldn't risk getting me kicked out of the house is lying for now, but even then, I don't want to keep this fact from them forever. While keeping this fact from them is good in the short run, if one of my grandparents were to die after, let's say, I'm completely financially independent, I would feel guilty that I wouldn't be able to tell them who I really am.

That said, no way would I even attempt to change their minds on who is better. My grandparents (and my dad) are the same people that watch Fox News, so any political debates with them that doesn't favor Republican is an automatic losing battle.
Werekill said:
Also, you could look into a 3rd party candidate like Gary Johnson or Jill Stein. You might end up agreeing more with one of them, eliminating the issue.
Don't think Jill Stein is a very good choice due to lack of political experience. I don't think she understands how difficult it is to be president. Gary Johnson I would prefer since I think he has a better understanding of reality of being a President since he was a governor. He's someone that I'll look into voting since the Libertarian Party is the only third-party I can take seriously and they do seem to have good intentions. Even if I still prefer Obama over Johnson after I look up him, I'll take him over Romney anyday.
Splet said:
it is sadly the best option we have been presented with. Unless we want an unpredictable ignorant man-child running the country.
"Man-child" makes me immediately think of this sorry sack of ****:

Chris Chan is a horror story on the Internet. Anyone who has read even a little of him will understand what I mean.
Crimson King said:
1. She said he's an antichrist Muslim. Romney is a Mormon who believes god lives on the star Kolob, and that if we attain a certain level of religious perfection, we will become gods of our own planets, making him a polytheist.

2. She was upset that he was born in Kenya. Well, his dad was. Romney's dad was born in Chihuahua, Mexico, so when he tried to run for president, in I think 1968, he couldn't pass the naturalization test.
I don't think she's a dumb person, but a lot of what she said in regards to politics/religion made me seriously question agreeing with my family Christian/Republican nature and is why I am breaking out of both molds.

1. Religion needs to stop being a factor in debates, period. It only cause unnecessary drama that gets in the way of important issues.

2. People keep assuming that Obama was born in Kenya, but is there any evidence to speak of whatsoever? Last time I checked, he released his long form birth certificate which clearly states he was born in Hawaii. If that isn't proof of Obama being an American citizen from birth, I don't know what is.

@Holder of the Heel: I'd prefer not to have to fight to stay at home. The thing about me is that in RL, I'm not the type of person that likes to argue very much. After seeing how my older brother is ruining his life, I'd much prefer to try to avoid unnecessary conflicts until I can become financially independent. The only thing I can do now is to keep it to myself, then reveal more or less who I am when I no longer have to worry about depending on them. And that's going to take until I can get a Bachelors of Microbiology.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I was actually poking fun at one section of what Ramen King said. I don't really think you should physically battle your gram gram.

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
Yes, I am eighteen years old.Sadly, the only thing that wouldn't risk getting me kicked out of the house is lying for now, but even then, I don't want to keep this fact from them forever. While keeping this fact from them is good in the short run, if one of my grandparents were to die after, let's say, I'm completely financially independent, I would feel guilty that I wouldn't be able to tell them who I really am.

The problem is, they don't want to listen to who you really are (for right now, at least).
Saying "If you vote for x person, then we'll kick you out," means they don't care who you really are or what you believe in.

:038:

D

Deleted member

The problem is, they don't want to listen to who you really are (for right now, at least).
Saying "If you vote for x person, then we'll kick you out," means they don't care who you really are or what you believe in.

:038:
I wouldn't say that they don't care about what I want to be, since they have been supportive of me going into microbiology (despite my weak math skills that I need to significantly improve) and my grandmother still keeps a relationship with her mother despite her being a democrat, but I think it's more of the matter of they wouldn't understand how different my ideology is from them.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Also, you live in Texas. Texas has voted republican since 1976, and since the US election process only works by giving electorates based on the winner, it's a safe assumption that they will vote Romney and negate any vote you make anyway.

Also, you cited Obamacare: that is literally keeping me and A LOT of Americans from bankruptcy. I'd research that more.

My parents live in Louisiana, and they asked who I was voting for. I said Obama despite a lot of things his done that I disagree with. After laughing, I broke down how Romney dominated the first debate, but he also lied every time he stated any sort of fact, including that his healthcare plan would still support pre-existing conditions. His adviser debunked that lie (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...-fields-questions-on-pre-existing-conditions/). Considering I have a few serious pre-existing conditions that are stable but could collapse, I really need insurance. Also, breaking down the fact he is part of a cult (and yes, no matter how secular we are, the religion of a candidate is important, especially one like Mormonism), and that really gave them pause. Being educated on a candidate is always a smart thing to do (hence why I really can't support Gary Johnson).

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I don't think your grandparents will really kick you out. They're probably just worried about what the country will become if Obama is elected again. Since he was elected, things have gone downhill. Also, he hasn't really done anything good for the country. I think it's time for a new President that will HOPEFULLY fix this mess we're in.

Just my opinion.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Just curious. What's the big deal with Gary Johnson? I've heard of him and watched a few of his videos, but I don't understand the underground hype with this guy.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Just curious. What's the big deal with Gary Johnson? I've heard of him and watched a few of his videos, but I don't understand the underground hype with this guy.
I haven't even heard about him that much, so I wasn't aware that there was a lot of "underground hype" with him. But the reason he appeals to me is...I agree with his positions on issues, and he's more appealing to me than either Obama or Romney seeing as I dislike the both of them for various reasons. It's as simple as that. I imagine it's a pretty similar thing with everybody else.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I don't think your grandparents will really kick you out. They're probably just worried about what the country will become if Obama is elected again. Since he was elected, things have gone downhill. Also, he hasn't really done anything good for the country. I think it's time for a new President that will HOPEFULLY fix this mess we're in.

Just my opinion.
Yes, a man whose platform is "Well, it's hard to explain that right now, but it'll work!" will definitely fix things. Also, Obama's claims of $5 trillion weren't far off; economists have stated that Romney's tax ideas are impossible without creating a huge deficit.

He's the third party guy this year. 2008 had Ron Paul, 2000 had Ralph Nader, and 1992 had Ross Perot. He's libertarian, and his platform is mostly hyped on his desire to legalize marijuana and end the war efforts, but he also wants to end the Department of Education among many other things that Libertarians believe.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Lie to them.

Also you live in TX and Obama won't get this state anyway.

@ Johnwalt I never really got the big hype about these debates. If Pizza lost a debate against Broccoli, would you suddenly agree with the policies and beliefs of Broccoli?

The majority of people (and this is what matters) have already decided and won't even remember key points from debates or ads when its time to actually vote.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Lie to them.

Also you live in TX and Obama won't get this state anyway.

@ Johnwalt I never really got the big hype about these debates. If Pizza lost a debate against Broccoli, would you suddenly agree with the policies and beliefs of Broccoli?

The majority of people (and this is what matters) have already decided and won't even remember key points from debates or ads when its time to actually vote.
The debates are for the 20 or 30 percent of people that haven't really paid attention and also serve as a place for the candidates to bring up their plans for how they would do things on a big stage once more.

Or you can just believe they mean nothing even though that's absolutely not true at all because hey it's "lolitics" because that's such a ****ing original thing, you know, just making fun of politics every chance you get.

I hate everything.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
"Who cares about politics? It's so dumb, **** politics!" - says 90% of people on the internet

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Well if a person doesn't care about politics then what the **** are they doing voting and/or bothering to post on these threads. Even I'm not that big of an *******.

I think.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
"Who cares about politics? It's so dumb, **** politics!" - says 90% of people on the internet
Politics aren't dumb... people just think they are because they don't get what they want out of any given leader and it's rare that they ever will.

Something that really interests me beyond the point where people say lots and do nothing but nothing i'd ever want to get in to myself. I'd try to please everyone and get sooo shot down for it.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Also, you live in Texas. Texas has voted republican since 1976, and since the US election process only works by giving electorates based on the winner, it's a safe assumption that they will vote Romney and negate any vote you make anyway.
On the other hand, voting for Obama would be negating a vote for Romney.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Exactly my point, people who say that don't understand politics affects them and is the cause of a lot of the good and bad things in their life. And hey, we have a democracy, you can even try to make a difference.

But nope, people run and shut their mind off then say, "lol dumb" or "**** politics" because its cool. It's as common on Facebook profiles under political views as is seeing "if you don't like me than idgaf so gtfo" or something to that effect in their profile. People trying to sound cool... on Facebook. .__.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
And the only way a decent portion of those people will become involved in politics (even if it's just for a short time) is when they feel their rights on the internet are being threatened, like with the SOPA/PIPA bill that was trying to be passed earlier. lol

kataklysm336

Smash Cadet
If you want to learn more use wiki and google. They are great resources, but you have to be careful to check the sources and be skeptical about anything you find until you can be sure it makes sense. I suggest doing research, using those resources, on the debt, deficits/surpluses, government spending, the healthcare system, the 2008 economic crisis, Bush's economic plan, Obama's economic plan, Romney's economic plan, compare those to former presidents like Reagan and Clinton, Trickle down economics vs. Keynesian economics, as well as reading a transcript of the debates (as they lay of both parties platforms fairly well) and thinking logically about whether they make sense or not, and see how their views line up with what you learned through research.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Exactly my point, people who say that don't understand politics affects them and is the cause of a lot of the good and bad things in their life. And hey, we have a democracy, you can even try to make a difference.

But nope, people run and shut their mind off then say, "lol dumb" or "**** politics" because its cool. It's as common on Facebook profiles under political views as is seeing "if you don't like me than idgaf so gtfo" or something to that effect in their profile. People trying to sound cool... on Facebook. .__.
It's just unfortunate that too many people these days think "Oh well i'm only one vote which won't matter and i'm glad there's a lot of people who don't think like this!"

Well it's getting more common. -_-

Night Shade

Smash Rookie
A rare occurrence where someone being an intolerant moron makes sense compared to other intolerant morons.

But if it's all the same to you, I think I'm gonna report this as

EXTORTION

And call it a day.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Just saying, being Canadian and all, that health care is pretty ****ing great.

On that note, it boggles my mind that there are people who legitimately oppose Obamacare.

Like, what?

Do you want to bleed dry if anyone in your family gets any sort of lasting disease? Like Diabetes, or god forbid cancer?

If it weren't for Canada's healthcare system, my family would be ****ED.

My Mother, Father and Sister all suffer from varying degrees of Chronic pain. My Dad has nerve damage in his back that is borderline paralysis, and my mother and sister both have Fibromyalgia.

My Dad's medications ALONE cost thousands of dollars a month. He'd be dead if we didn't have our health care plan.

I may hate my current Conservative Government, but how anyone can oppose universal health care is beyond me.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Just saying, being Canadian and all, that health care is pretty ****ing great.

On that note, it boggles my mind that there are people who legitimately oppose Obamacare.

Like, what?

Do you want to bleed dry if anyone in your family gets any sort of lasting disease? Like Diabetes, or god forbid cancer?

If it weren't for Canada's healthcare system, my family would be ****ED.

My Mother, Father and Sister all suffer from varying degrees of Chronic pain. My Dad has nerve damage in his back that is borderline paralysis, and my mother and sister both have Fibromyalgia.

My Dad's medications ALONE cost thousands of dollars a month. He'd be dead if we didn't have our health care plan.

I may hate my current Conservative Government, but how anyone can oppose universal health care is beyond me.
Aussie health care is great as well. What's this Obamacare, is it better than the old American healthcare system, cause I heard that one was pretty bad and from what you're saying this sounds rather good.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Anyone who doesn't have an opinion on Obamacare yet should do their own research, not take the word of people here.

Anyone here who already has an opinion on it and actually wants to bother to debate apparently loves arguments that go ****ing nowhere. If you can't figure out why people oppose/support it you have your head buried in the ****ing sand.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer

Just a few minutes ago, I asked my grandparents if I could vote who I wanted.
That is literally one of the most ****ed up things I have heard in quite a while.

Vote for whomever you want. That's the point of voting. If it would somehow impact your living decision in a way you can't deal with, just lie, I guess. But jesus ****ing christ, don't let people boss you around with your vote.

Especially people who obviously know less than a child about politics. Eesh.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Wasn't there a movie about Obama which revealed his intent on ruining our nation? Something about his father, and his father's dying wishes that he will fulfill?

In any case, I would think these last four years are a clear indication that Obama is not fit to lead this country. I feel the sole reason he was put into office was left on a racial issue; Something to prove with having the first black president. Well, with these last four years behind us, I would hope folks would choose Mitt just because of the results. But Mitt isn't helping himself very much with all the hypocrisy in his campaign.

Still, I am voting Romney. It's a case of choosing the lesser of the two evils, and I feel Romney is the lesser devil. I still believe, though, this will ultimately boil down to a race issue. Which is why I was hoping for Herman Kain to be in this, because then the racial issue would be non existent. Even playing field where prejudices aren't a deciding factor.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
ZIO said:
Wasn't there a movie about Obama which revealed his intent on ruining our nation? Something about his father, and his father's dying wishes that he will fulfill?
I thought you were kidding

Now I think you're just delusional, and it disappoints me, because I respected you.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Yeah that's an actual movie. I hope you aren't giving any weight to that though. It's the most ridiculously nonfactual mess of a smear campaign movie ever made. If you fall for that movie, I'm sorry but you're literally ********. but you are voting for Romney so I was kinda leaning that way anyways. Still though, I guess I'd like to hear your reasons for Obama being especially unfit to run the country.

for the record, I'm not crazy about Obama. I think he is a mediocre to okay president. The right wing rhetoric against him is completely ridiculous and offbase. He is a right centrist, but the republicans like to try and paint him as a hard left socialist. It's silly.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I don't go out and call people names, or even suggest mental illnesses. This is why I hate discussing politics. Same reason for religion. Because then folks will want to look down on the other for believing in something different.

Obama just never gave me a good reason to trust him. The work he's done in the last four years is indication enough for me he's not fit for the seat. I'd rather chance it on someone else than to give him another shot. He had his chance to prove himself to me.

I'd rather not get into it now because it would be too much a hassle and everyone has their opinions so it would lead nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom