• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee PR 12/29/2013 Update

Jem.

Smash Master
Rosedemon you need any Peanut Butter to go with that Jelly?! How dare you say a Will Smith quote isn't good!!

I think "not practicing" is an acceptable john for yourself, but not something you say to your opponent. Never discredit whoever just beat you. They outplayed you, maybe you could have had a better chance, but that is just tough cookies

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
Rosedemon you need any Peanut Butter to go with that Jelly?! How dare you say a Will Smith quote isn't good!!

I think "not practicing" is an acceptable john for yourself, but not something you say to your opponent. Never discredit whoever just beat you. They outplayed you, maybe you could have had a better chance, but that is just tough cookies
You think im jelly?

Lanstar

Smash Journeyman
Objection!

LOL Lanstar definitely has an ego as much as he wants to pretend that his post was just him trying to troll.

He played me in tournament where all he did was try to prove that he can powershield my missiles, I mean, he really didn't try to approach, and his body language was that of a guy with an ego. It was pretty cocky IMO, and since I have a big ego too, I started casually trying to prove that the powershielding didn't phase me and I was still going to shoot missiles.

He seemed to try much harder when he realized we were pretty close during the 2nd match.

The most egotistical part was that after beating him 2-0, where the 2nd game was kinda close, he seemed pretty upset, as if he was robbed, and asked me for what seemed like a post-set rage friendly. He can act like it wasn't, but I know a raging friendly request when I hear one.
That post was definitely, in-part, trolling. The trolling was me saying I don't try and that I basically hide my secretly amazing skill from everyone. It's not like that at all, and even if I could call upon amazing skills I believe sandbagging people in tournament is a messed up thing to do. I guess, if for some reason they asked you too, it could be acceptable under the correct circumstances. Otherwise, you're not only insulting the person, but you're also taking away a chance for them to learn and grow as a player. When I play in tournament, I give it my all, unless I give up hope completely.

I've spent hundreds of hours(maybe even 1000+ now) going over frame data, percents, match-ups, possibilities, and much more. Sometimes even in my sleep. I understand smash theory very well, but unfortunately I can't usually put most of that knowledge into play. Although, there have been a few times when I've played smash and stopped consciously thinking. Certainly not in a negative way though, it's as if suddenly I can apply everything I know to a degree of near perfection. I guess it's like a semi-hypnotic state, or maybe it's what people are talking about with the phrase "in the zone". Anyway, I've definitely reached that state a few times in smash, and every time I did, I was unstoppable. So I suppose therein lies my ego, I feel that at my absolute best I'm a well skilled player capable of at least competing with almost anyone.

You caught me though, I definitely have an ego. Honestly though, I think it can be a very useful thing. To tell you the truth, I wish I had near absolute faith in myself, because when I play someone and I truly conclude that victory an unreachable object, it feels like my chances drop from slim, to hopeless(that's when I stop trying). So believing that digging deep enough will yield me with the skill to win could really make all the difference for me. That's just me though.

I did powershield almost every single missile you shot at me, game 2 you eventually stopped almost all together, all you did was dash dance and wait for me to do stupid ****(which I did haha). However, the reason I was talking about my ability to powershield was due to excitement, and not ego. I was just happy because that was the first tournament it really clicked with me(I had been working on it for over a month).

I didn't feel robbed, quite the contrary actually. I felt really good about that set as a whole. I even thought you might have been impressed with me(that's majorly why I wanted to play more, besides the fact I ask almost everyone to play after a tournament set win or lose), but I suppose I was wrong. Back then I was looking/hoping for that pat on the shoulder feeling more than usual(another reason why I was so loudmouthed about my powershielding to everyone). I needed some reassurance that playing smash(something I've spent countless hours on) was worth it, I needed to believe it wasn't all a pointless waste of time(sorry for sounding so emo haha). This was mostly because of my girlfriend taking her own life two months prior to that tournament, it caused me to look for reaffirmation in many aspects of my life.

I'm not sure how my desire to play you again after our tournament set drew you to the conclusion that it was out of rage. I ask almost everyone I play in tournament to do some more games with me after out set whether I win or lose =D(Unless it's someone I play on a semi-regular basis). If I looked upset or "robbed" it was probably because I was worried about not making it out of pools. I had to play with two more people, one of which I had experienced some trouble with in friendlies, and ironically enough I think the other person was Baka4moe. I did manage to make it out of pools though.

Even though all of this is true, there is a another important private and personal reason for the way I was acting at that tournament(it also applies for many other tournaments). If you're feeling nonjudgmental and even give a damn, message me privately.

TL;DR

So yeah... I pretty much dumped everything haha... I don't really expect anyone to read it all, but there it is. I guess you can enjoy judging me as a person if you decide to read it :3

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Josh if you're looking for reassurance, you're going to need to try making friends. Going around loudmouthing your achievements really isn't the best way to garner the support of your peers. How often do you see respected players brag about "beating so-and-so", or even sillier "not beating so-and-so but doing this in a match and then proceeding to tell everybody about it."

Need some support? You're not bad at this game, you're actually one of the better players. However, you're really bad at gaining the respect of other players because of your attitude. Now this isn't because you're cocky. A lot of respected players are cocky. It's mostly due to the fact that you've talked yourself up to this pedestal without any merit. You can't go around and say you can hypothetically do this and that and expect people to take you seriously. At least pretend to be humble until you've proven that you can be cocky without being seen as a joke.

Here's some advice. Go out and do something badass by yourself. Climb a mountain, bow hunt a deer, swim across a bay, have a ****ing adventure. Tell no one.

Jun.

Smash Lord
Here's some advice. Go out and do something badass by yourself. Climb a mountain, bow hunt a deer, swim across a bay, have a ****ing adventure. Tell no one.
Pat has done all these things.

Twice.

Funny thing is he probably actually has knowing Pat.

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
skimmed lanstars post

kind of epitomizing the convo me and joe had the other week
where the noob mentality towards getting good is
which tricks and techniques can i learn and then implement and be good (powershielding all but 2 missiles)
but once you get good its more like, theres just lots of different ways to **** someone

so idk
just figure out how to ****, cuz thats the first step

Metameme

Smash Apprentice
That post was definitely, in-part, trolling. The trolling was me saying I don't try and that I basically hide my secretly amazing skill from everyone. It's not like that at all, and even if I could call upon amazing skills I believe sandbagging people in tournament is a messed up thing to do. I guess, if for some reason they asked you too, it could be acceptable under the correct circumstances. Otherwise, you're not only insulting the person, but you're also taking away a chance for them to learn and grow as a player. When I play in tournament, I give it my all, unless I give up hope completely.

I've spent hundreds of hours(maybe even 1000+ now) going over frame data, percents, match-ups, possibilities, and much more. Sometimes even in my sleep. I understand smash theory very well, but unfortunately I can't usually put most of that knowledge into play. Although, there have been a few times when I've played smash and stopped consciously thinking. Certainly not in a negative way though, it's as if suddenly I can apply everything I know to a degree of near perfection. I guess it's like a semi-hypnotic state, or maybe it's what people are talking about with the phrase "in the zone". Anyway, I've definitely reached that state a few times in smash, and every time I did, I was unstoppable. So I suppose therein lies my ego, I feel that at my absolute best I'm a well skilled player capable of at least competing with almost anyone.

You caught me though, I definitely have an ego. Honestly though, I think it can be a very useful thing. To tell you the truth, I wish I had near absolute faith in myself, because when I play someone and I truly conclude that victory an unreachable object, it feels like my chances drop from slim, to hopeless(that's when I stop trying). So believing that digging deep enough will yield me with the skill to win could really make all the difference for me. That's just me though.

I did powershield almost every single missile you shot at me, game 2 you eventually stopped almost all together, all you did was dash dance and wait for me to do stupid ****(which I did haha). However, the reason I was talking about my ability to powershield was due to excitement, and not ego. I was just happy because that was the first tournament it really clicked with me(I had been working on it for over a month).

I didn't feel robbed, quite the contrary actually. I felt really good about that set as a whole. I even thought you might have been impressed with me(that's majorly why I wanted to play more, besides the fact I ask almost everyone to play after a tournament set win or lose), but I suppose I was wrong. Back then I was looking/hoping for that pat on the shoulder feeling more than usual(another reason why I was so loudmouthed about my powershielding to everyone). I needed some reassurance that playing smash(something I've spent countless hours on) was worth it, I needed to believe it wasn't all a pointless waste of time(sorry for sounding so emo haha). This was mostly because of my girlfriend taking her own life two months prior to that tournament, it caused me to look for reaffirmation in many aspects of my life.

I'm not sure how my desire to play you again after our tournament set drew you to the conclusion that it was out of rage. I ask almost everyone I play in tournament to do some more games with me after out set whether I win or lose =D(Unless it's someone I play on a semi-regular basis). If I looked upset or "robbed" it was probably because I was worried about not making it out of pools. I had to play with two more people, one of which I had experienced some trouble with in friendlies, and ironically enough I think the other person was Baka4moe. I did manage to make it out of pools though.

Even though all of this is true, there is a another important private and personal reason for the way I was acting at that tournament(it also applies for many other tournaments). If you're feeling nonjudgmental and even give a damn, message me privately.

TL;DR

So yeah... I pretty much dumped everything haha... I don't really expect anyone to read it all, but there it is. I guess you can enjoy judging me as a person if you decide to read it :3
TL;DL:
you bad and you think your good
you sound like a ***** stop being so emo

Lanstar

Smash Journeyman
Josh if you're looking for reassurance, you're going to need to try making friends. Going around loudmouthing your achievements really isn't the best way to garner the support of your peers. How often do you see respected players brag about "beating so-and-so", or even sillier "not beating so-and-so but doing this in a match and then proceeding to tell everybody about it."

Need some support? You're not bad at this game, you're actually one of the better players. However, you're really bad at gaining the respect of other players because of your attitude. Now this isn't because you're cocky. A lot of respected players are cocky. It's mostly due to the fact that you've talked yourself up to this pedestal without any merit. You can't go around and say you can hypothetically do this and that and expect people to take you seriously. At least pretend to be humble until you've proven that you can be cocky without being seen as a joke.

Lol that was something I needed way back then, like when her death was still somewhat recent. I've worked though it now, I have done some cool and worthwhile things as well. My current state of mind is not the same. I know I'm not bad at this game. I know I'm definitely one of the better unranked players. If I'm boasting at tournaments or smashfests nowadays about random ****, it's because of a private and personal reason that I'd be happy to share with anyone willing to be nonjudgmental and keep it to themselves,

I have 6 very close friends(two of which I met through smash) and I'm perfectly alright with that.

That bit about me sometimes being amazing. I wasn't saying that to brag. I was just saying it to explain and admit to my "ego". I don't expect people to think I'm amazing. Hopefully someday I can prove it.

I don't know how so many people managed to take that post the wrong way, maybe because of the effect of my first ******** post? lol

@TGL: I learned powershielding mostly for fun, and partly for falco. I didn't even know I knew the timing to reflect samus's super missiles, I definitely didn't practice it. Oh, and when I watch a match of myself, I know when I make mistake and see many possibilities for what I could have or should have done. The major issue stopping me from getting better is it's hard to get into a game you've been playing regularly for over 3 years(at least for me). It's also hard when there aren't any players far above your skill level within reasonable driving distance.(Pat's really good and so are a few other SD players, they are just either inactive or just don't come to the smashfest often, or for very long)

But please people, try not to turn this into something it isn't. I'm not trying to be a **** or brag. I probably could have done this particular post better, but I have a concert in a half an hour.

Edit: @metameme: I'm not "bad" but then again that a perspective thing, and I don't think I'm good. I think that at certain rare times I play very far above my normal level(during those periods I'm "good"(though this can be said for many people, being "in the zone"). About the emo thing... I dress like it, so I might as well act it at least some of the time. I really have to go though <.< call time was 6:00

baka4moé

Smash Champion
LMAO good **** lanstar

this may be just me, but i think your long posts are trying too hard. we all know you're not bad, so just prove it in tournaments, and don't be a little ***** about it along the way :)

Lanstar

Smash Journeyman
LMAO good **** lanstar

this may be just me, but i think your long posts are trying too hard. we all know you're not bad, so just prove it in tournaments, and don't be a little ***** about it along the way :)
If you think I'm still trying to say I'm good that is not what I'm going for at all LOL I was trying to explain my seemingly egotistical actions, and correct the nature of my original ******** post.

Edit: I don't understand how people keep taking these posts negatively, maybe if you could hear the vocal tone/inflection that I'm thinking of as I type it out people would receive it differently

MacD

Banned via Administration
welcome to a combination of smashboards and people already having you pegged as a certain type of person

on the boards it's a good idea to just shut up because the more serious your post explaining something like that, the worse people are going to bag on you. people are complete jerks online, sad but true

ergo why most people (at least in pac west) avoid posting things like that, the "hard ***es" are gonna come by and tear you apart

gotta love this region

baka4moé

Smash Champion
mr. lanstar. my LMAO was that i agreed with embrace that you should change your sig, and i really like your new one.

that's it.

i still do mean what i said after that though.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
kira, you're right. this isn't to say that i don't sincerely mean what i say online though, which i do try to maintain. what i said before the last post i really believe, but yeah, i probably won't say those exact words in real life.

i think lanstar's good, but i feel that he tries too hard to justify his actions with stuff that others, at least those that aren't very close to him, just really won't care about. so, what he says could be dismissed out of disinterest or a lack of understanding of him as a person, or maybe just because he hasn't proven much (yet) in the tournament scene. that's just what i think, i could be wrong.

where are you transferring to? closer to pasadena i hope :awesome:

Lanstar

Smash Journeyman
I'm only trying to make up for the stupidity that I spewed earlier lol

I say tons of **** online that I wouldn't say in real life, but everything I've posted in this topic after my ******** post is all stuff I would have said in real life haha.

It doesn't really matter to me whether my posts redeem myself in the eyes of you all. It's just important to me that I gave it a shot, and I can't really do any more than that.

Metameme

Smash Apprentice
stop posting! And not suck at the next tournament then people might think better of you. Also no one wants to hear your life story of depressing stuff.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Alright Josh let's just put an end to all of this.

Take a step back and relax buddy, you're trying too hard. It's coming off kind of... for lack of a better word, kind of pathetic. It's obviously important to you that you receive some sort of "redemption", elsewise you wouldn't have gone and made that post. The problem is you're still approaching it the wrong way. You've tried the "I'm amazing, haha jk" approach, and now you're going for the "please feel bad for me" route, and they both just seem like such desperate, sad cries for attention.

In response to my last post, you tried justifying or defending against every piece of criticism/advice. And yeah I get it: you've got your stance on the situation, you've changed since then, I don't know you that well, etc. The problem is, you've completely missed the point of the post. Keep in mind, I'm not just trying to be a dlck or see if you can put up your guard, and no one is trying to "turn this into something it's not." (k, maybe some people are but most aren't). Truth is though, a lot of the time you can just straight up annoy people. Man up and take some responsibility. Yes, you have gotten way better about this since the days of smashmaster, and you do a pretty good job of accepting your flaws when you come to realization of them yourself, but you seem to really struggle when other people point out them out for you.

So just take it easy. Most of that annoyance that people have with you is because you're simply trying too hard. Just relax, don't lash out or feel threatened every time someone makes a post about. You'll be happier and the haters won't hate... well not as vehemently anyways. Maybe in time people will change their perspective of who you are. Give it a try.

Top Bottom