• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee PR 12/29/2013 Update

DJMirror

Smash Master
jason ur awesome, i wanna be like you lol.
Nah don't because...

-You'll play marth
-cant even drink to save your life
-you can't even drive as well
-have macd yell at you all the time
-have horrible grammars
-get ***** by life for no reason
-play/Lose to hyprid at every single tournament (not joking)
-Fall asleep while playing RPG games at a friend's house
-make horrible posts

and many other reasons

MacD

Banned via Administration
Nah don't because...

-You'll play marth
-cant even drink to save your life
-you can't even drive as well
-have macd yell at you all the time
-have horrible grammars
-get ***** by life for no reason
-play/Lose to hyprid at every single tournament (not joking)
-Fall asleep while playing RPG games at a friend's house
-make horrible posts

and many other reasons
hahahah such a funny list

Violence

Smash Lord
Hey guys, if you guys want to use ELO and want to make it more accurate, you should try Swiss format into top 8 bracket in your tournaments, you get more matches against diversely rated people and it more data makes ELO more accurate.

Atlus8

Smash Master
You know, I'll be updating those Elo ratings which means I'll be keeping track of SoCal tournies from now on! I was gonna dedicate a thread for it, but I think it might go against rules and stuff!

joeplicate

Smash Master
you should probably re-enter them in the right order (winners, then losers, then grand, or whatever) if you want them to be super legit!

Atlus8

Smash Master
I kinda do feel like giving it another crack at it to get it most accurate actually! Wish the 2GG tourny in March went up cause that was a good turnout! Also, festizzio is missing his March tourny too!

WHA?

Smash Ace
this thingy atlus is doin is interesting....... it seems like somethin that will eventually shape itself more accurately as time progresses (at least a good year)
and what Violence says is very true, idk if ppl would be willing to or how viable it would be in terms of time or whatever, but for this ELO thing it would deffinately produce more accurately results

D

Deleted member

Rank Trendings:

1. Mango
2. Zhu
3. Lovage
4. Fly
5. Me
6/7 Macd/Lucky (wait and see what happens)
8. Eddy
9. Wes
10. Hugs

Lucky can go up if he ***** again

baka4moé

Smash Champion
hey whens the next update? theres been a good # of tournaments now, and the list looks slightly outdated yeah?

i wanna see kevin and sung on here :)

D

Deleted member

since theres no crazy upsets, crazy dudes bursting onto the scene/ old pros coming back theres no reason to update it

baka4moé

Smash Champion
whats considered a crazy upset? like what about hyprid and sung kicking butt, larry/hugs coming back, lovage/s2j/eddys impressive recent performances, and connor/24/atlus leaving? i dont know it just seems like making an update would be pretty easy/not time-consuming looking at the past tournaments, and its been a while anyways...>_<

and, norcal just updated and i think we have more tournaments than them. dunno if that matters but just wanted to ask the panelists if they could spare the time? :) maybe others feel the same? idk

D

Deleted member

my opinions:

next PR top 15

probable rankings:

1. mango
2. zhu
3-5. whatever order of me oscar fly
6-9. i don't give a **** order of hugo eddy mccain lucky
10-13. wes connor DEHF alex19 w/e order
14. stab
15. baka (sigh)

these rankings are more like relative tiers of how good people are

but the number placements were supposed to make things interesting..

the power rankings were a motivation to get better hopefully for everyone but only like 4-5 of the original 20 actually seemed to have a goal to improve and work their way up the list.

for me it sorta lost its purpose, theres no old pros coming back and making some crazy upsets, and personally my last 'obstacle' who I could never beat is zhu but he doesn't even go to tournaments when hes in socal

so

list is ****ing stupid/********/pointless

zhu probably shouldn't even be on this list but its stupid if 3-5 move up to rank 2 simply because he doesn't play

and no one gives a **** if spot 19 goes to spot 18

====

back from drunken p00py, more thoughts:

hugo can easily make a comeback but he has a life now = probably no comeback

joey is different though, I truly believe he legitimately sucks

from getting ***** in crews and going 0-2 in bracket

and going ****ty secondaries in tourneys

I don't see him coming back to me and oscar's level

-eddy *****, love seeing him p00p on everyone

-wes is a straight wildcard

-alex19 is dangerous and can break into top 10 pretty easily but he's al bundy

==

i support top 15 and putting baka on rank 15 so people can **** his **** up. I really want to see the promising players of socal aka sung, hyprid, etc just **** his **** so hard he never gets on the list again

Jun.

Smash Lord
Even a 15 man PR is questionable. The bottom of the rankings can wave their **** around but it doesn't mean much when players like Maple, KFC, Kira, PNOY and even more highly skilled players are just running around laughing at it. Not to put Stab on blast at all but for example, Azn_Lep beat Stab in the last UCSD Triweekly. Why even have the bottom people there if you believe that the motivation approach isn't working and having them there makes the list more inaccurate?

IMO just make the PR top 10 again and just focus it on the top end players giving themselves motivation through the list. You can't forget also that the list also serves as a base ground at which out of region players view the players of our region. Newer players will get on it through determination in a cyclic process.

ps. if its still 15, I heard Hyprid made it pretty far in Genesis pools.

D

Deleted member

it would work if top 10 have motivation

but i think stab is one of the motivated ones.. might not be the truth though

@anto hyprid probably did do pretty well

if u guys are looking to move up you should post accomplishments good number of tourneys between now and april

MacD

how bout you people post your accomplishments and whatnot and we'll try updating after champs some time

sounds like a good plan we'll decide how many we want to do, at least 15, maybe 20

GMhyprid

Smash Apprentice
If it matters, I'm a supporter of a top 10 PR, but it would seem wrong if players like DEHF, alex19, and Connor weren't ranked. Based on my arbitrarily formed opinions, I think the three players mentioned above are the cutoff for what is good enough to be ranked. I might be okay with something weird like top 13, but I doubt everyone has the same view on makes a player "ranked." Having a PR with over 10 is really hard, and having just 10 strengthens the impact of being ranked. I don't know how much expanding the rankings helped the intrinsic value to improve.

I can't speak for others, but I don't see myself as a ranked player. All of the players I see as ranked are a level (or 50) ahead of me. And then there's the very likely possibility for "non-ranked players" to beat me.

If you want my accomplishments for this ranking period, I beat Sung, Sunny, Baka, Jesse, Stab, and Connor (twice). I made it into Round 3 of Pools at Genesis 2, but I don't really know how much that means.

MacD

it matters more so who/if you beat anyone on your way to round 3, not just getting there. though it's hard to base things off OoS peeps without knowing if anyone else from our region beat/lost to them

D

Deleted member

top 10 seems abysmal and terrible for the close players who are just outside of top 10 range / can hang with people rank 7-10~

i woulda been unranked for the longest time if it remained top 10 when i started tourneys

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
drunken p00py

hugo can easily make a comeback but he has a life now = probably no comeback

joey is different though, I truly believe he legitimately sucks

from getting ***** in crews and going 0-2 in bracket

and going ****ty secondaries in tourneys

I don't see him coming back to me and oscar's level

==

i support top 15 and putting baka on rank 15 so people can **** his **** up. I really want to see the promising players of socal aka sung, hyprid, etc just **** his **** so hard he never gets on the list again
looooooooooooooooooool joey on blast
and baka

i approve
how bout you people post your accomplishments and whatnot and we'll try updating after champs some time

sounds like a good plan we'll decide how many we want to do, at least 15, maybe 20
the pr should be exclusive
the best players in the region, the ones listed for oos to look at and be afraid of
not just a category of our region's players
you have to be good enough for people to care who you are
top 10 seems abysmal and terrible for the close players who are just outside of top 10 range / can hang with people rank 7-10~

i woulda been unranked for the longest time if it remained top 10 when i started tourneys
that mean you werent good enough looooool

top 10 if theres not too many more worth mentioning
top 15 if a lo of people are gonna get **** on

there arent 20 impressive (active) players in socal (are you counting sd?)

_
also just do an honorable mention for inactive players that deserve their spot

baka4moé

Smash Champion
top 15 makes sense given the number of players recently, but 20 also seems like a good idea if it will actually motivate players to get better imo (like we have decent players like sung, hugq, azn_lep, etc. that could potentially place in the extra 5 spots). 10 does seem a bit too small b/c impressive players like alex19/dehf/etc. wont get the recognition i (and hopefully most of the community) think they deserve.

idk, for me at least, the pr is a great constructive source of motivation, and hopefully it serves the same purpose for other players as well. i wanted to get better so i could get on the bottom of the pr, as dumb as that sounds, and I've been wanting to improve even more since being on it. even if its not too motivating for the top 10 atm, pushing other, lower-level, players into being as good as them seems like a really good thing to have.

if it matters ill post my wins/losses of note after champs tomorrow..

Top Bottom