• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Power Rankings (October 28, 2007)- Will the update ever happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
There's plenty of strategy in pong. Ever see the That 70s Show episode where Kelso beats everyone at pong? Exactly.
There isn't very much strategy in Pong. There's a good deal of precise positioning and one should know the different ways in which s/he can influence the ball's trajectory, but there's almost no interesting decision-making.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Someone show me US videos of US Melee one week after it came out and show me some combos that you can't DI out of, , show me tech skill above the tech skill in what Brawl has now, , and I'll give you a case. You're comparing a game one week after release to the meta game after 6 years. gg.

Brawl makes things that take a lot of skill in Melee easier, but that doesn't mean its noob friendly. Everyone who is good now can easily 3/4 stock any noobs already. It's not noob friendly in the sense that good people can ruin people who are new.

I had the same concerns about Brawl, but after playing it a bunch, I feel like it's going to take time before I can really judge it versus Melee. Til then I play and have fun!

extragrandeben

Smash Journeyman
Someone show me US videos of US Melee one week after it came out and show me some combos that you can't DI out of, , show me tech skill above the tech skill in what Brawl has now, , and I'll give you a case. You're comparing a game one week after release to the meta game after 6 years. gg.

Brawl makes things that take a lot of skill in Melee easier, but that doesn't mean its noob friendly. Everyone who is good now can easily 3/4 stock any noobs already. It's not noob friendly in the sense that good people can ruin people who are new.

I had the same concerns about Brawl, but after playing it a bunch, I feel like it's going to take time before I can really judge it versus Melee. Til then I play and have fun!
Edreese is awesome.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
This is a horrible argument to make...

What in the world makes you think it's going to take years and years for Brawl to be figured out? Even if they had the exact same number of random **** to figure out, there's one big difference: WE KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR NOW. We know the type of things to try, **** to play around with, etc. etc. You don't think the next Mew2King and Phanna haven't already been playing with Brawl for hours and hours trying to find random things? And when you consider how incredibly dumbed down Brawl is -- inarguably so -- there's simply a lot less to find.

What solution is there for the ridiculous floatiness of every character? Of the decreased hit stun that leads to less combos? Of the slowed down gameplay because the mechanics that made Melee fast have INTENTIONALLY been discarded? You think we'll magically get lucky again?

No edge guarding. No combos. Slower mechanics.

Sounds pretty noob friendly.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
What in the world makes you think it's going to take years and years for Brawl to be figured out? Even if they had the exact same number of random **** to figure out, there's one big difference: WE KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR NOW. We know the type of things to try, **** to play around with, etc. etc. You don't think the next Mew2King and Phanna haven't already been playing with Brawl for hours and hours trying to find random things? And when you consider how incredibly dumbed down Brawl is -- inarguably so -- there's simply a lot less to find.

What solution is there for the ridiculous floatiness of every character? Of the decreased hit stun that leads to less combos? Of the slowed down gameplay because the mechanics that made Melee fast have INTENTIONALLY been discarded? You think we'll magically get lucky again?

No edge guarding. No combos. Slower mechanics.

Sounds pretty noob friendly.
And despite " no edgeeguarding" (which I do) no combos (which I do) and slower mechanics, I'm still beating newer people despite myself having played for only one week, with relative ease and swiftness. One combo , for example, is a great combo by Peach. She has the ability to throw a turnip, do an aerial, catch the turnip, follow up with another aerial, catch the turnip, throw it again. I'm not sure how many times this can be repeated since I don't have the tech skill yet, but it's a 4-5 hit combo. More than Peach could ever combo in Melee, which is quite funny.

And I'm not bragging here, I'm not special - people other players who have been playing a lot can do these things, too. Are you trying to claim that new people who pick up the game can beat seasoned players? Because that's not really the case of whats happening out there.

I really DONT think that we do know what to look for. It's thinking outside the box. Here was my mindset when I picked up the game with Peach. "Okay, lets figure out a way how to float cancel" Float canceling is gone. Does it mean Peach doesn't have advanced techs? Nope, it doesn't. There are new things that are not visible on the surface. She has down tilt momentum, she has turnip catching combos, she can roll cancel (she can cancel her roll anytime she wants by throwing a turnip out of the rolling animation). Sorry that all my examples are Peach but that's the character I'm studying right now. I'm just giving examples of how new techniques are coming about and just because they aren't wavedashing, dash dancing and L canceling doesn't mean it won't take skill to master the game.

Today I found out you can attack pits arrows to cancel them, ftw!

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Because the basic things that make you good at Melee are going to transfer over. Over, really, to everything; competitive activities have much of the same things that make you great, so once you figure it out for one, you can apply it to a lot and achieve success.

Some of the things you said seem decent, but you're operating almost entirely on hope and faith. -shrugs- I don't see a reason to try so hard when Melee already has everything. For all the people bored of it and not coming back anyway, I dunno why they still even visit this site -- isn't that what All is Brawl is for?

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
Is there any strategy in Pong? Yes, but...

How big/small is the apparent skill gap between someone who is mediocre at pong, and someone who is ridiculously good? That's the point that people are trying to make >_>
Nice analogy.

Also, Edrees what you've found out so far is really good, if things like that keep showing up then I'll be convinced that Brawl has new mechanics to offer. Roll cancelling wtf?

Although I'm not a big fan of it now, I still play it all day. Go figure.

JTB get better. Your immune system is like Bowser tier.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
when/if i ever play brawl, i'm only ever going to use marth. marth is symbolic for my honor, and indeed, my homosexual tendencies.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Danny just sucks on Jungle Japes. Remember when I JTB 3 stocked him there?

EzynJAY

Smash Lord
well while i do agree with p..edreese is right there is a skill gap in the game..things will probly surface although itll never be as deep as melee..i mean u can probly argue melee is one of if not the best fighting game of all time..there is skill in brawl..after all its still smash

but brawl is sucha campy game =( its so hit and run its lame at times...(pit)...but yah...lol brawl is cool =) no other game to play lol

Nezumi

Smash Journeyman
Because the basic things that make you good at Melee are going to transfer over. Over, really, to everything; competitive activities have much of the same things that make you great, so once you figure it out for one, you can apply it to a lot and achieve success.

Some of the things you said seem decent, but you're operating almost entirely on hope and faith. -shrugs- I don't see a reason to try so hard when Melee already has everything. For all the people bored of it and not coming back anyway, I dunno why they still even visit this site -- isn't that what All is Brawl is for?

I thought this was SMASH boards...not MELEE boards.. so why does having a positive opinion about the newest edition to the trilogy mean not being allowed to post here anymore?

And since Edrees started this thread (which I think people forgot is the power rankings thread) he can say whatever he wants. I happen to like the fact that he has positive comments to contribute in this negative environment.

Also, you say he's "operating almost entirely on hope and faith".... you haven't even played the game yet so what could you even possibly be operating on with all your negative comments about brawl?

On a side note, Hugo mentioned in the 1up.com video about how close the smash community is and how everyone gets along and how it's better than other competitive gaming communities....I used to go to tournaments just for the people. I think some people have forgotten how close knit this community used to be. Just a thought.

Miharu

Smash Hero
I thought this was SMASH boards...not MELEE boards.. so why does having a positive opinion about the newest edition to the trilogy mean not being allowed to post here anymore?

And since Edrees started this thread (which I think people forgot is the power rankings thread) he can say whatever he wants. I happen to like the fact that he has positive comments to contribute in this negative environment.

Also, you say he's "operating almost entirely on hope and faith".... you haven't even played the game yet so what could you even possibly be operating on with all your negative comments about brawl?

On a side note, Hugo mentioned in the 1up.com video about how close the smash community is and how everyone gets along and how it's better than other competitive gaming communities....I used to go to tournaments just for the people. I think some people have forgotten how close knit this community used to be. Just a thought.
because P is an *******

????????????????????

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Good job twisting my words.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Naw, no one did.

EzynJAY

Smash Lord
rank fabian and mike haze they were the only ppl to go there whole melee career without being ranked =) LOL j/p

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
I trained Haze a bit... and beat his Jiggs in a Jiggs ditto
I almost 4-stocked Mango one tourney (and then he rested me 3 times in a row and beat me in the set later)
McRusty and I used to counter Lucky (but don't ask what happens now)
Ooh and I think I've beaten DSF in teams more than he's beaten me
And Fabian and I have gotten top 3 in teams every tournament we teamed at
And Boss made me bored of grab > rest now because we do it so much
I think I just beat a lot of people because Sheik counters them
And I lose to a lot of people because they counter Sheik.. or at least they do better against her than the rest of the cast
And I've never lost to P in tourney
I just realized I've never beaten Blitz in tourney. And we've MM like 20 times.

But honestly I think I stopped getting better for awhile. I improved after OC3 and SCC, but in between I stayed the same and at UCLA V I played terrible all day. That's not meant to be a john or to make anyone feel bad, I really just thought I was playing poorly the whole day. I mean, that's what I get for worrying about other **** and not getting any sleep and stuff.

But clearly, for the above mentioned reasons, I should be ranked.

****in bored... no finals 'till Friday and they're easy

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure Tofu is at least. There's not a lot of room though, not gonna lie, but we can fit like 4 people probably.

Well I don't mind at all if it's crowded, but if other people do then yeah about 4 people can fit.

Also that lucas got owned

killer tofu

Smash Lord
I can't do anything smashwise today. But tomorrow afternoon saturday and sunday i'm free like all day. Anybody up for sometihng then?

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
I'm down to hold a smash fest at my house... Which is like 5 min from Cal Poly.

It'll be kinda ghetto but it can be done. I have no cubes though =/

JugaBro

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone, I'm just some new newbie Luigi player...

I had never realized so many pros (OMG Ken and Gimpy) live in SoCal. I should have payed attention better in the past. Well, I was wondering if any good players, or realy just anyone, lives in Simi Valley?

The only reason I wish to know this is to wifi them, or possibly meet up and Brawl somewhere. Fighting good players to learn to be better is very fun. ^^

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
Hey everyone, I'm just some new newbie Luigi player...

I had never realized so many pros (OMG Ken and Gimpy) live in SoCal. I should have payed attention better in the past. Well, I was wondering if any good players, or realy just anyone, lives in Simi Valley?

The only reason I wish to know this is to wifi them, or possibly meet up and Brawl somewhere. Fighting good players to learn to be better is very fun. ^^
Festizzio lives in Simi Valley LOL

Mango go get more youtube fanboys. You're obviously not a pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom