• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

DMoogle

A$
haha i love the ol' "i didn't create the rules i just enforce them" shtick
if i was a mod and i had to enforce rules that aren't justified (and believe me, there's tons here in swf), i would step down from the position

FIGHT THE POWER!
That's fine and dandy, it's a personal thing.

I like power though, and I like contributing to the community (even though you may disagree with some of the rules, some of them are pretty essential IMO), so that's why I'm a mod. I don't mind having to take some crap here and there. :)

Life: Easy game.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
That's fine and dandy, it's a personal thing.

I like power though, and I like contributing to the community (even though you may disagree with some of the rules, some of them are pretty essential IMO), so that's why I'm a mod. I don't mind having to take some crap here and there. :)

Life: Easy game.
i'm not saying all the rules here are wrong but there are some really dumb ones and in order for somebody to feel comfortable enough to "enforce" said dumb rules, they have to believe in them or maybe just power hungry like you said.

i really hope you don't mean "contributing" by making a few posts with some infractions a month on threads that aren't even important.

same deal with blue yoshi; he was on top of things trying to help out the community before he was a mod and last i heard he's going to some brawl tournament and goes under aliases on kaillera. i've never seen him on kaillera and i haven't seen you as of late either DMOOGLE.

there's nothing that irritates me more than some inactive player stating he/she contributes to the community

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
i'm not saying all the rules here are wrong but there are some really dumb ones and in order for somebody to feel comfortable enough to "enforce" said dumb rules, they have to believe in them or maybe just power hungry like you said.

i really hope you don't mean "contributing" by making a few posts with some infractions a month on threads that aren't even important.

same deal with blue yoshi; he was on top of things trying to help out the community before he was a mod and last i heard he's going to some brawl tournament and goes under aliases on kaillera. i've never seen him on kaillera and i haven't seen you as of late either DMOOGLE.

there's nothing that irritates me more than some inactive player stating he/she contributes to the community
yeah I was at a brawl tournament with blue yoshi recently lol

ballin4life

Smash Hero
IIRC A$ isn't on kailera because his internet sucks at school.

I definitely agree that there are some dumb rules, like the "no double posting" rule and the 10 character message rule (seriously, it isn't that hard to tell what is truly spam and what isn't).

Also I don't like the word censor because it's hard to tell what people are saying. There should be an option to turn it off, or at least have it display as f*** so I know it's that as opposed to s*** and d***.

Lastly I dislike how sometimes the mods come in and try to direct a thread, saying "stop talking about this and talk about this instead". It's unnecessary because if someone comes in and makes a good post about the original subject then discussion will naturally shift back.

Overall I don't think it's that big of a deal though.

Skrlx

Smash Champion

I definitely agree that there are some dumb rules, like the "no double posting" rule and the 10 character message rule (seriously, it isn't that hard to tell what is truly spam and what isn't).

Also I don't like the word censor because it's hard to tell what people are saying. There should be an option to turn it off, or at least have it display as f*** so I know it's that as opposed to s*** and d***.

Lastly I dislike how sometimes the mods come in and try to direct a thread, saying "stop talking about this and talk about this instead". It's unnecessary because if someone comes in and makes a good post about the original subject then discussion will naturally shift back.

I was aware that dmoogle isn't on kaillera because of bad school internet but no johns if you're gonna say "i contribute to the community". What I think he meant was that he enjoys contributing to smashboards (as in enforcing their rules) and is somehow making himself believe that giving infractions for avoiding the censor filter or something like that is "contributing to the community".

antiestablishmentarianism

EDIT: I just remembered something funny. Blue Yoshi banned my alt accounts as soon as he saw them and yet (like I mentioned on my other post) I distinctly remember him telling me on a IM conversation that he goes under aliases on Kaillera ALL THE TIME. So he thinks it's fine to go under aliases and not your real user name on kaillera but then gets tough on a alt account on smashboards (which is one of the dumbest rules i've seen on a forum). I can already see a somewhat similar post to Dmoogle's which is basically "i'm a mod so i just enforce the rules :p so if you have a problem with my hypocrisy then please report it to forum support :p :p ".

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Kaillera doesn't have a "no alt. accounts" rule though right?

I understand why most of the rules are in place even the dumb ones because of all the younger kids in other boards of the forum. With that said like I said ages a ago this 64 section is mainly comprised of people who are all somewhat mature and as such it'd be good to be given a little leniency on posts.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Hey, been a while.

I need to play this game online again. It's been too long. Did anyone do/discover anything new or cool recently that I might have missed?
I really suck now compared to before so if anyone wants to help me regain some lost skill I'd be game.

@Superboom: this guy from BC, Marshal Mackoff / "Supertramp" just came to my university in Ontario and is joining my smash bros. club for weekly smash, he dropped your name, among others (mostly well-known Melee players) he's played in the scene.

....perhaps to try and look cool...

You know him? Going to have him over to the smashfest this coming Sunday along with the rest of our gang

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
Hey, been a while.

I need to play this game online again. It's been too long. Did anyone do/discover anything new or cool recently that I might have missed?
I really suck now compared to before so if anyone wants to help me regain some lost skill I'd be game.

@Superboom: this guy from BC, Marshal Mackoff / "Supertramp" just came to my university in Ontario and is joining my smash bros. club for weekly smash, he dropped your name, among others (mostly well-known Melee players) he's played in the scene.

You know him? Going to have him over to the smashfest this coming Sunday along with the rest of our gang
I played him in a set of melee about a year or so ago. I honestly forget who he played lol.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord

No double posting can easily be fixed... All an admin has to do is check the "combine posts" option. So if you double post, it just throws the second post into the first.

And the mods here (admins, rather) don't have enough fun. At another forum I mod at, we try to have fun with word filters, and make them actual words, rather than asterisks. My favorite was when "lol" was filtered to "I cried aloud with mirth and merriment". People were so confused!

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Sometimes I want to double post either to bump a thread, or because I'm responding to two different people on two entirely different conversation threads and it gets confusing for them to quote/respond if what I said is all in one post.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
if you quote and space properly that shouldn't really be an issue.

bumping threads becomes problematic when a lot of people get into the fashion and it's like having extra stickies :S

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Hey, been a while.

Cool.
Now we have :

PSA on Smash 64

Online Textures

a incoming Backroom

Playable Final Destination

Playable Break the Targets Stages

And some others minors things

Battlecow

Play to Win
Oh, hey Daed! I came into smashboards right at the tail end of the Daedatheus era. Nice to see you again. You should play online a bunch.

And y'all need to be nicer to A$. He's a good person, and it's really not his job/duty/prerogative/the nicest thing to do to selectively enforce rules. Bashing the mods is uncool*. Hear that, near? BE NICE.
*Yeah, I know. I'm ironic like that.

P D

Smash Ace
Oh, hey Daed! I came into smashboards right at the tail end of the Daedatheus era. Nice to see you again. You should play online a bunch.

And y'all need to be nicer to A$. He's a good person, and it's really not his job/duty/prerogative/the nicest thing to do to selectively enforce rules. Bashing the mods is uncool*. Hear that, near? BE NICE.
*Yeah, I know. I'm ironic like that.
mod are souposed to be bashed,

so they dont get cocky :p

malva00

Smash Master
Alancitu told me on MSN today that

his friend Fredmash who is in Tacna told him that

Fredsmash and the best Tacna players are coming to Lima next week to play

but Alancitu might not play cuz he's busy <__<

so it might just be the 4 FANTASTICS vs Tacna

TIME WILL TELL

Battlecow

Play to Win
The Theory of Nintendo Console Evolution

Greetings, fellow denizens of the 64 boards! What I have to say may seem too radical - too outlandish - to be believed, but if you'll bear with me, I believe it could have as great of an effect on our small band of brothers as my legendary Modest Proposal thread. If the forthcoming revelations have been voiced by some prior oracle, my apologies. If Surri closes this thread, he's a poophead.

Take a look, mes amies, at what may or may not be your favorite video game company- Nintendo. Recall the halcyon days of your childhood, foetushood, glint-in-mother's-eye-hood, or pre-glint-in-mother's-eye-hood, and the celebrated Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). Fast forward six years to the SNES (we won't be considering handheld consoles here). From there, another five years- BAM! The console of our happiest hours, the Nintendo 64. Then the Gamecube, then the Wii- right?

I think that the consensus on these boards (we're way smarter than the other people on these forums, so we're the only ones who count) is that the N64 was the best. If you don't believe that, at least acknowledge that Super Smash Bros. is the best of the three Smashes. If you don't believe that, go back to the Mêlée boards. What made the console/game so good, so superior to both its forebearers and descendants? Certainly not the graphics. The same people designed the games. Could it simply be nostalgia? Surely not!

I propose- now bear with me here- that we look at the controllers. "But, battlecow!" you say. "The N64 controller is garbage! The stick wears out faster than a condom utilizing oil-based lubricants!"

Well, that's what you thought. Until now.

What differentiates the N64 controller from other Nintendo controllers? The answer is staggeringly obvious. It has three grips. The import of this might not strike you immediately. Then think about this- the NES- an OK console, in my humble opinion- had a controller with one single grip. The SNES- a Superior NES- had two. It peaked at three with the N64. Things went downhill with Mêlée and its console; only two grips were utilized. Then that odious Barwl came about. How many grips does a Wiimote have, children? HOW MANY?

I think I've made my point. What's the significance, though? What relevance does this earth-shattering revelation have to today's world?

Imagine this- a controller with four grips. Could such a thing be manufactured? If it was, how great would the resultant smash game be?

Just a little something to think about.

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
by logical extension, the indisputable best game ever has 9001 grips on controller

asianaussie

Smash Hero
That's hardly logical, what battlecow described was, from given data, a tentative parabolic relationship, peaking at 3. There is no indication as to whether it is a linear or otherwise relationship.

Sorry, been messing around in the debate hall >_>

DMoogle

A$
Despite the awesomeness of your explanation, the content of people's responses are simply going to be more well-suited for the Social Thread.

So away we go...

I'll leave a re-direct though. :)

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master

I had my reasons, including being too busy to do anything for like the entire Summer. I'm not busy now, so it's all good. As far as aliases on kaillera... I usually log in as <(^o^)> (sometimes Blue Yoshi, but usually the Kirby face... which ends up getting confused with the other guy who uses a different Kirby face). But when my internet is just god awful to the point where I ds from time to time, I'll go with some random name (so that people don't think that kirby face always ds's, thus making me play with no one when I have a good connection). Lots of people knew that I was the Kirby face. (ok, a really long explanation for nothing lol).

yeah I was at a brawl tournament with blue yoshi recently lol
Lol yeah. It was too good. (I actually beat Clouderz lol :p)

Hey, been a while.

Welcome back. It's been too long :)

I don't think I ever met Supertramp, but he was a competitive melee player who attended the tournaments in Vancouver. I don't know who he mains either, nor do I remember how good he was.

mod are souposed to be bashed,

so they dont get cocky :p
Of course. I encourage people to bash me. I even ban bash myself :p

Why can't I ban myself? :cry:

The Star King

Smash Hero
@Battlecow Funny, I always hated the 64 controlle especially for its three grips. Perhaps it's the number of ways to jump in each smash game?

64-Tap jump, four c buttons - 5 methods
Melee-Tap jump, X, Y, Shield + Up on C-stick- 4 methods
Brawl-Tap jump, X, Y - 3 methods

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
@battlecow: I wish that there were left and right handed n64 controllers. The pistol grip on the z-button is the point where the n64 controller separates itself from the pack. Because its a strait ahead pistol grip, the trigger becomes easier to press, and the main functions of movement (z-canceling, rolling, jumping, and basic movement) can be done all in one hand. Simplistic and beautiful. I find my right hand not as tense, and most of the pressure comes from my left hand, yet the thumb and the trigger finger are still free. Thats why n64 is the best.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Yeah man, the trigger button is what really makes the N64 controller stand out from the rest. It's so instinctive and intuitive.

Also, I get weird hand cramps when playing with a GC controller sometimes because of needing to use my fingers on the shoulder buttons.

Huh, now that I think about it, that only really happens in Timesplitters. DON'T STOP SHOOTING

NixxxoN

Smash Master
You guys press the Z button with your left hand? lololol

hurray for my messed up method of holding the control stick, with the Z button being pressed with my right hand.
Your the 2nd I know that does it this way, besides alancitu.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Doing it with the right hand gives me more control on the stick

if you know what I mean... ;)

But in seriousness, since I use the Z button with my right hand (3rd and 4th fingers, whichever I feel like using), I use the control stick with the thumb and index of my left hand. I find it much better that way in every sense (I have perfect control of how far I tilt the control stick, the exact angle, etc. It's also 100 times easier to DI like this... to the point where I think my controller DI is much better than my keyboard DI).

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Your way actually makes tons more sense in terms of control, but it just feel so weird... I guess I like the feel of gripping the grips solidly better. Feels more natural, although I can see that with a little practice and time taken to get used to it, your method would definitely prove to be superior.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Doing it with the right hand gives me more control on the stick

if you know what I mean... ;)

But in seriousness, since I use the Z button with my right hand (3rd and 4th fingers, whichever I feel like using), I use the control stick with the thumb and index of my left hand. I find it much better that way in every sense (I have perfect control of how far I tilt the control stick, the exact angle, etc. It's also 100 times easier to DI like this... to the point where I think my controller DI is much better than my keyboard DI).
lol exactly as alancitu...... how the hell can you hold it this way? can you make some pic of you holding it or some drawing?

Top Bottom