• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Battlecow

Play to Win
I don't really get being a fanboy. I can't get overly attached to somebody I don't know.

Speaking of things I don't get, I can't comprehend the feeling of patriotism/nationalism at all. I guess I'm inhuman or something.

Taste, yes. You're not putting any of your personal taste into your name, you're just taking the name of a character you like. And yeah, it kind of does stop the name from being awesome.
With regards to the first and third points- I agree. Fanboyism is very strange, and most copypaste names are dumb (unless a subtle reference is involved, and it's clever rather than just derivative). The second incomprehension of yours, however, makes you varelse to me; how can one not love the land of one's birth? It seems the very worst fate to have no link, no bond, to the culture which raised you and affected you in ways too intimate and various to possibly explain. Patriotism should be the first refuge of every American.

All the other countries suck, so unless you want to move here, you can either indulge in your phony "nationalism" or else just sort of sit around and envy Americans.

And as for jealousy, well, I echo Sempiternity's point. Even you will learn envy someday, whether you want to or not.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
To be fair, you were more creative than "Near".

I wonder how huge of a fanboy you have to be to name yourself after a character with no changes.

Man, I'm pretty picky about usernames.
Oh you were serious? lol at my name being one of the worst on this board.

Although considering your progression of names I'm not sure you have much room to talk :p

Nationalism is dumb because you didn't choose what country you were born in. It's dumb to be proud of things you didn't cause yourself. Like I'm not proud of being smart. I'm proud of what I've done with my smarts.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
Nationalism is dumb because you didn't choose what country you were born in. It's dumb to be proud of things you didn't cause yourself. Like I'm not proud of being smart. I'm proud of what I've done with my smarts.
perfectly worded.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Oh you were serious? lol at my name being one of the worst on this board.

Although considering your progression of names I'm not sure you have much room to talk :p

You assume (erroneously) that nationalism necessarily involves being proud of oneself because of the land of one's birth. Tsk Tsk. Classic mistake.

Also, we need more humility on these boards. A few of us- not gonna name names- seem to think that just because something is true, it should be articulated plainly and frankly, or else implied at every opportunity. This is not the case.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
You assume (erroneously) that nationalism necessarily involves being proud of oneself because of the land of one's birth. Tsk Tsk. Classic mistake.

Also, we need more humility on these boards. A few of us- not gonna name names- seem to think that just because something is true, it should be articulated plainly and frankly, or else implied at every opportunity. This is not the case.
What does nationalism mean besides being "proud" of your country?

And I have no idea what you are referring to with the second statement.

and posts just got weird. names are above posts instead of to the left. now it is fixed. WTF?

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
A nation is a group of people that are bound together because of common values.

IE
Language
Heritage
Ethnicity
Social Status

It has nothing to do with a specific country, or even a specific plot of land.

Nationalism is the feeling of growing connectivity/similarity between these people and the subsequent push for some sort of recognized territorial establishment

About the name, you must have changed something in your user CP bcause the names (for me) have always been on top.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
How is nationalism 'a group of people'? It's a belief, about how one particular identifiable trait or creed, usually visible, has a born right other traits and/or creeds should not, and is labelled nationalism because it has led to the forming of states, subsets of nations.

Battlecow

Play to Win
What does nationalism mean besides being "proud" of your country?

And I have no idea what you are referring to with the second statement.

and posts just got weird. names are above posts instead of to the left. now it is fixed. WTF?
Nationalism is a fervent (or not-so-fervent, I guess) love of and attachment to your country (Or culture or whateverthe****). It doesn't necessarily connotate pride. That's what it's always meant to me, at any rate.

The second statement was legitimately not in response to anything you said.

The Star King

Smash Hero
The second incomprehension of yours, however, makes you varelse to me; how can one not love the land of one's birth? It seems the very worst fate to have no link, no bond, to the culture which raised you and affected you in ways too intimate and various to possibly explain. Patriotism should be the first refuge of every American.
It doesn't surprise me that you responded this way, seeing as how you're constantly meatriding America on these forums. The thing is, I can never tell if you're being ironic or not.

What are you talking about my name is awesome :D

ballin4life

Smash Hero
A nation is a group of people that are bound together because of common values.

IE
Language
Heritage
Ethnicity
Social Status

It has nothing to do with a specific country, or even a specific plot of land.

Nationalism is the feeling of growing connectivity/similarity between these people and the subsequent push for some sort of recognized territorial establishment

About the name, you must have changed something in your user CP bcause the names (for me) have always been on top.
Yeah yeah you know what I mean. You can have pride in any of those, but it's still dumb to be proud of something you didn't choose.

Nationalism is a fervent (or not-so-fervent, I guess) love of and attachment to your country (Or culture or whateverthe****). It doesn't necessarily connotate pride. That's what it's always meant to me, at any rate.

The second statement was legitimately not in response to anything you said.
Whatever. Usually such an attachment goes along with pride. I am happy that I was born American (as opposed to some other place that's a lot poorer), but I don't think that you would characterize that as nationalism.

It doesn't surprise me that you responded this way, seeing as how you're constantly meatriding America on these forums. The thing is, I can never tell if you're being ironic or not.

What are you talking about my name is awesome :D
Sorry, it's not quite BALLIN enough.

Also LOL at Battlecow's America comment he edited out. Nice Speaker for the Dead reference though haha.

Serious response: I have bonds with actual people, not vague entities that I am associated with by chance. I mean, I like American culture in a lot of ways, but that doesn't mean that I always support the actions of the US or Americans in general.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I'm talking about feelings of attachment to your country. Some people think whatever their country does is right, no matter what it is, or they think their country is somehow special and superior to others. I like the United States and the principles it was founded upon, but I don't feel personal attachment to it, per se (or any other nation).

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Uh... Québec is a province in Canada. It's not a country...
A lot of people in Québec feel they are different from the rest of canada and they think they should be independent. They are based on the french language mainly.
Other big examples, the huge Soviet Union, was formed by a lot of nations (more than 10), until it collapsed and they all split. Same for Czechoslovakia (two nations united) or Yugoslavia (5 or 6 nations).

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I place $20 in a box.

So do you.

Now the box contains $40, and we both know it.

I sell the box to you for $30.

And we both walk away with a $10 profit.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
haha nope because I pay 50 I get 40. You get the $10 profit, i lose $10

I heard some thing like that here before but it was more complex, dont remember it well

Gammelnorsk

Smash Ace
The Square Root of Wonderful was the name of a play on Broadway. If each letter in WONDERFUL stands for a different digit (zero excluded) and if OODDF, using the same code, represents the square root, then what is the square root of wonderful?

i really enjoy this one

asianaussie

Smash Hero
it's a play on broadway

If a Californian airline full of Texans crashed on the border of North Dakota and South Dakota, which country and/or state would the survivors be buried in if the most convenient graveyard was owned by a Japanese embassy?

I'm assuming North and South Dakota share a border.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
A rooster lays an egg on the very apex of a roof. There is no wind and the roof slopes downward at a 30 degree angle toward both the north and south directions. Which direction would the egg fall?

TANK64

Smash Lord
The Square Root of Wonderful was the name of a play on Broadway. If each letter in WONDERFUL stands for a different digit (zero excluded) and if OODDF, using the same code, represents the square root, then what is the square root of wonderful?

i really enjoy this one

that was fun :awesome:

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
A rooster lays an egg on the very apex of a roof. There is no wind and the roof slopes downward at a 30 degree angle toward both the north and south directions. Which direction would the egg fall?
Roosters don't lay eggs, that's gotta be the oldest one in the book.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
We've got 12 coins and one of those is heavier than the other 11. We've got a scale, and we want to know what's the heaviest coin only with 3 measurements. How we can do it?

Top Bottom