• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Solo DThrow Chaingrab -- I really need to massively revise this

theunabletable

Smash Lord
The data is completely legit. Yeah there aren't any stages long enough to do this, but if there WERE you'd be able to do this. It just gives you an idea of how much damage you can do with just D-throw as SoPo.

I assume he just did it all the way accross FD, stopped (but kept the char at the same % and staleness) and let the other character get back up, then do it again, etc.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Wow, people posting. :/

Firstly, sorry for taking so long/being so lax about this. I don't really know what to say, I don't really have an excuse, but if anything, I suppose "life happened". Of course, that isn't an excuse, there was definitely time for me to do this, I was just lazy and am completely at fault. My apologies. ;_;

Onto business, a few points of clarification/answers/comments:

- No, these don't show the maximum on any stage, even Eldin is too short most of the time. These are the absolute theoretic maximums that could be possible if given the space/circumstances. I said it earlier in the thread, but the list is based on theory, not practicality, as I don't want to decide for others what is practical.

- I tested on Final Destination, using the method SoM suggested: CGed from one side to the other > confirmed the regrab > released without doing anything (which retains the stale queue) > went to the other side and regrabbed > repeat from step 1.

- DThrow has a base of 6% damage. Completely fresh it does 6.3% damage, completely stale it does 2.76% damage.

- I definitely plan on posting frame data in future (this is PART of what I had in mind for the expansion project, actually), but it won't make complete sense unless you can see all of it. When I finish the Walking CGs I'll post up some basic "complete" data which should give you an idea of what's going on.

- I don't really get why impracticality makes these figures "illegit," whether it's practical or not does not change the accuracy of the data.

- Staling DThrow is a good thing, not a bad thing, it's what makes these lengthy chains possible.

- IMO Solo Climber is roughly equal to Ganon, tierwise, or perhaps slightly below. The more I play Ice Climbers, the less I feel SoPo is "LOL Tier" like I originally thought.

And what else?

I guess I'll get to work on those Walking CGs. I know "that's what I said last time," but after reading swordgard's analysis on Nana's AI, I feel invigorated to do research on this character again. :3 I guess I'm just the kind of guy who needs motivators like that, haha. Well, I say that, but I'm really tired right now, so I'll start on it when I wake up. xD

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
...Wow. Is that picture legit? o_o

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
"Be good at timing."

I haven't tested D3 specifically yet so I couldn't give you his specific data even if I was willing to before finishing it all. But yes, it's all timing. There's no trick to it.

Also, this is on hold for a short while. My Wii is having disk read issues, so until I can get a chance to use a lens cleaning kit (probably tomorrow, but next Sunday at latest), I can't do any testing. Don't worry, this is a normal occurrence, I just can't find my cleaning kit so I have to wait till I see a particular person to use his. :/

Prawn

Smash Master
walking SoPo CG on MK is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo useful when you lose Nana, even if you don't and they're at low percents.

It's like a guaranteed 40-50 percent depending on the space to do it(which isn't that much space for this much damage, like a quarter/half of fd maybe?) and if you have even more space the dthrow stales and you can do running CGs till the edge and probably hit the 60 percentish range. Broken. lulz

so yeah if anyone here doesn't use the Sopo walking CG(which i assume most good players do) then you should learn it and use it its super easy to learn probably about the same ease as learning to CG snake with d3.

Masterchef1123

Smash Apprentice
You can kill almost any one at like 60% when you use down throw then grab with nana hold down A or personally changed in my opinion L and hit the c- stick upward what will have happened is Popo will begin charging his hammer and nana will have hit the opponent move the analog stick backwards release L button
Perfect Combination takes some while to get it down though

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
In case it wasn't obvious, I haven't really been doing much of this. Sorry.

Been busy with like weekly tourneys, christmas craziness, and tbh more interesting and important ICs stuff I've been meaning to look into. Including something pretty amazing, imo (more later if it ever lifts off). This'll get done when it gets done. I'll try to do some every now and then so hopefully it'll be finished before the next Smash comes out (slight exaggeration).

But yeah, I figured I owed it to y'all to say something.

That said, with a tourney next weekend and nothing to do I plan on testing stuff like crazy, so maybe I'll get a chunk of this done with it. No promises. >.>

Also lol this got stickied again, I wish I knew why.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I was with Lain on saturday at a tourney and i saw him doing this stuff during tourney/friendlies
then he gave me a short run down of it all, then i used it during friendlies and it is amazing but i really need to practice it

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
As I said before, I'll eventually get around to this after other things, unless someone wants to do it in the meantime.

I've explained how to do this several times earlier in the thread. If you still don't get it then jump on MSN and I'll run you through it. :3

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
ME said:
The idea is that I throw [character], have [character] DI/escape properly and whatnot, and initiate a dashgrab on the frames Ice Climbers are active (counting grab animation frame 1 as the first frame, not the 1 frame of dash before it; buffered dashgrabs don't have the 1 frame of dash), starting from the first frame they're active, until they miss. For the record, I tested every throw for every character this way.
Jeez l2read noobs. :(

Refer to the frame data thread for the active frames off a dthrow on different character.
Refer to the first post of this thread for correct DI/actions for each character.
Obviously you do everything the same as in the quote but with a walking grab instead of dashgrab.

Format - startframe [connect y/n] (connectframe)
eg. - 50 Y (56)

SS3 Chaos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Presid3nt_Khaos
I honestly think that chain grabbing is cheap if abused. I wouldnt recommend using ALL OF THE TIME like many people do.

SS3 Chaos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Presid3nt_Khaos
I understand that and at no means am I suggesting people stop doing the chain grab, I just think that when people ABUSE IT meaning using it like a hundred times doesnt show skill. If you're playing for money thats a completely different story lol.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Personally, cging DOES show skill. First of all, your opponent is playing the whole match so they won't get grabbed. Getting that grab is great. And those hours of practicing the cgs is DEFINITELY some skill. I am still a very good with ICs without CGs. It's not like we only win because of CG. It helps a LOT though.

swordgard

Smash Hero
I understand that and at no means am I suggesting people stop doing the chain grab, I just think that when people ABUSE IT meaning using it like a hundred times doesnt show skill. If you're playing for money thats a completely different story lol.
I don't care, I still win with it. Now I don't think using F-Tilt with snake takes skill, does that make my opinion true? Nope. Whoever wins is better at this game, whether by better character choice or by actual in game technical or yomi skill.

Top Bottom