• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic 4 Episode 1.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Ironically, this is the only boss in a Sonic game I've never liked.

What about the digger thing from Sonic 2. It's ridiculously easy AND hilarious.

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
You've gotta be kidding. Haha, the wrecking ball's back for another go and I don't seem to mind it too much. Makes me wonder if the boss music will be as kick *** as Sonic 3 & Knuckles' was. Then again this is Sega so I'll likely get the soundtrack first chance I get :chuckle:

finalark

SNORLAX
Carbon copying the first boss from the first game is not setting anything right.

and it's bizarre that someone's excited about it
I agree, although I'm not sure if the screen shot is even real or not. Sure, it will be nostalgic but trying to earn pointed based on nostalgia rather than quaility and originality is... pretty lame.

This is the wrong way to go about it though...
Well, how do you think they should go about it then?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Personally, I would have loved a Megaman 9 styled game. Sega-era sprites, music, etc. but interesting level design (something that hasn't happened in a Sonic game since.......err..........Sonic 3 and Knuckles), new gimmicks, etc.

Basically, something that is nostalgic, but also feels like a SEQUEL rather than a rehash.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
You mean like... what they're doing now? Honestly, we know next to nothing about this game. But from what little we've seen the level design looks pretty interesting, and we don't know if Sonic's going to have new abilities or not (but we do know there's going to be homing attacks).

Even though I hate that boss, it's existence in the game doesn't suddenly prove that it's a rehash.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
I agree, although I'm not sure if the screen shot is even real or not. Sure, it will be nostalgic but trying to earn pointed based on nostalgia rather than quaility and originality is... pretty lame.

Well, how do you think they should go about it then?
continue whagt they have been doing. trying new stuff and making a full fledged game instead of a pitiful 5$ downloaded game that comes in installments. this whole game is based off nostalgia cause people have small expectations.

LLDL

Smash Hero
This game is going to be a piece of crap... Normal people are like ooh look they're returning to their roots! But a person who can recognize and analyze the engine and recognize signs of bad physics no better than that. This is all a charade to them. Why the hell did they name it Sonic 4? They've ruined the continuity of the original genesis games! **** THEM!

finalark

SNORLAX
This game is going to be a piece of crap... Normal people are like ooh look they're returning to their roots! But a person who can recognize and analyze the engine and recognize signs of bad physics no better than that. This is all a charade to them. Why the hell did they name it Sonic 4? They've ruined the continuity of the original genesis games! **** THEM!
We've only seen three seconds of beta gameplay and some leeked beta fotage. We don't know anything about it yet, so stop drawing conclusion based off of less than a min. of gameplay. God, we haven't even seen any parts of the final product and people are already looking for things to ***** about.

continue whagt they have been doing. trying new stuff and making a full fledged game instead of a pitiful 5$ downloaded game that comes in installments. this whole game is based off nostalgia cause people have small expectations.
Even though each time they've tried something new it's failed? Full games are expensive to make, I'm all up for trying something new, but at this point.... I'd rather have a nostalgia-infused download over another Sonic Unleashed anyday.

LLDL

Smash Hero
The game is already finished. ESRB has already fully rated the game, which means that there isn't anything left of it that sega can change except to polish. **** sega. This was their LAST chance and they blew it.

finalark

SNORLAX
The game is already finished. ESRB has already fully rated the game, which means that there isn't anything left of it that sega can change except to polish. **** sega. This was their LAST chance and they blew it.
And? There's no reason why the version that we saw leeked fotage of couldn't have been a beta. Plus I'm pretty sure that they can make some corrections to the physics, seeing how that would be "polishing" if it really bugs you that much.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
We've only seen three seconds of beta gameplay and some leeked beta fotage. We don't know anything about it yet, so stop drawing conclusion based off of less than a min. of gameplay. God, we haven't even seen any parts of the final product and people are already looking for things to ***** about.

Even though each time they've tried something new it's failed? Full games are expensive to make, I'm all up for trying something new, but at this point.... I'd rather have a nostalgia-infused download over another Sonic Unleashed anyday.
So every game past sonic 3 sucked?
i just dont see it. going back to their roots is dumb. i thought unleashed was good... but that another story. it least if your gonna make this light *** download make a full fleged sonic game for the fans that actually appreciate originality

finalark

SNORLAX
So every game past sonic 3 sucked?
I never said that. As a matter of fact, numerous times throughout this thread I have stated that there are several 3D Sonic games that I enjoyed. Don't put words in my mouth, it won't get you anywhere.

i just dont see it. going back to their roots is dumb. i thought unleashed was good... but that another story. it least if your gonna make this light *** download make a full fleged sonic game for the fans that actually appreciate originality
Why is going back to Sonic's roots dumb? It's generally agreed on that the overall quaility of the Sonic franchise has been slipping since Heroes (which I liked, by the way). So what to do when sales and quality is sinking? Go back to when Sonic was most successful, it works.

LLDL

Smash Hero
I agree finalark, I will wait for this game to come out and see. And nobody wanted them to return to their roots more than me. Thought sega giving the game to DIMPS, the same people for sonic Rush has already set the mind state. These guys don't know what makes the classic games classic. It's not about how it looks, its about the engine, physics and level design.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
I never said that. As a matter of fact, numerous times throughout this thread I have stated that there are several 3D Sonic games that I enjoyed. Don't put words in my mouth, it won't get you anywhere.

Why is going back to Sonic's roots dumb? It's generally agreed on that the overall quaility of the Sonic franchise has been slipping since Heroes (which I liked, by the way). So what to do when sales and quality is sinking? Go back to when Sonic was most successful, it works.
how is it generally agreed. I thought heroes sucked to be honest . different strokes for different folks . if you noticed i offered a alternative.
Its bs that sonic has been reduced to this while others appreciated originality. i think he should have another 3d full game. as for putting words in your mouth it was a simple question.
There are others that want something new. instead they have to sit through this weak crap sega is pulling.
Sonic should have a actual full 3d adventure.

finalark

SNORLAX
how is it generally agreed. I thought heroes sucked to be honest . different strokes for different folks .
Yeah, that's generally how the world works.

if you noticed i offered a alternative.
What was the alternitive, another 3D Sonic?

Its bs that sonic has been reduced to this while others appreciated originality.
Hold on there bucko, nobody, and I mean nobody, enjoys originality more than I do. As a matter of fact, I'm boycottng Mario Galaxy 2 because of it's lack of originality (it's a $50 expantion pack, people). However, Sonic has gone so far downhill to the point where another "original" gimick is the last thing that the franchise needs. At this point, going back to where it was most successful is a good way to get the Hegehog back on his feet. As I said ealier, after this I'd be nice if Sega made a game that fixed 3D Sonic after getting the blue blur some of his resepct back.

i think he should have another 3d full game.
Elaborate.

as for putting words in your mouth it was a simple question.
The way you phrased it made it sound like you're saying that I said that I think that post Sonic 3 games suck.

There are others that want something new.
I'm all up for new things, but.... Sonic seriously needs to just go back to his roots at this point.

instead they have to sit through this weak crap sega is pulling.
How is going from "crappy, glitchy, joke" to "potentally good downloadable game" a bad thing?

Sonic should have a actual full 3d adventure.
It should be a Sonic adventure! HA! Get it? It's a pun!

But seriously, I'd be all up for a good 3D Sonic game just so long as Sonic got some respect back and fixed the 3D gameplay (which should have happened years ago).

D

Deleted member

I am really looking forward to Sonic the Hedgehog 4. I predict this game will be Sega's first brillant installment of it's mascot since 1994.

Where are you going to get Sonic The Hedgehog 4? I'm getting it on WiiWare.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Hahahahahaha!

I always feel bad, being that I'm a hardcore Sonic fan, and having said that, having to deal with fans that do something as stupid as that...

I'm ashamed.

finalark

SNORLAX
... it's because of my PSN/Wiiware version beeing better thing, right?

Need to remember that sarcasim does not translate well into text....

D

Deleted member

Either off of Wiiware or PlayStation Network, I personally think that both of those versions will be a hundred times better than the XBLA version because the Genesis didn't have a control stick!
Wait, doesn't the Playstation 3 Dualshock comes with two controller sticks? Then again, they'll probably let you use the d-pad like the Wii Remote with it sideways.

Yeah, can you believe it? So far, they are the only fanbase I can recall successfully taking over the Nintendo fanbase as being worse then them (Aside from Insane Clown Posse).

finalark

SNORLAX
Wait, doesn't the Playstation 3 Dualshock comes with two controller sticks? Then again, they'll probably let you use the d-pad like the Wii Remote with it sideways.
Yeah, but...

With this one you'll be using the rather large D-Pad, which is right across from the buttons.

Here you'll use the control stick, which is right across from the buttons. Sure, you could use the d-pad which is located south-west of the buttons, but that wouldn't be very comfortable.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
And plus the X-Box D-Pad is bad for most things except FPS' or 3rdPS', or something similar where it's not given a major movement function.

Yeah, can you believe it? So far, they are the only fanbase I can recall successfully taking over the Nintendo fanbase as being worse then them (Aside from Insane Clown Posse).
What about the Harry Potter fanbase? Shippers sent the actress who played Cho Chang death threats.

Yoshara

Smash Lord
@Finalark: Yeah it may have a better d-pad, but after playing on the PS1 and PS2 for so long and then switching to the 360 controller, I can definitely say that the 360's controller is way more comfortable.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'll be picking this one up for the 360 this time. I have a Street Fighter IV pad which is pretty much like a Genesis/Sega Saturn pad, so I want to use that. Plus I already have Unleashed and '06 for my 360. I won't be getting the Wii one since the PS3/360 one can output in HD.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
I have a Street Fighter IV pad which is pretty much like a Genesis/Sega Saturn pad, so I want to use that./color]

Do they still sell those?

Honestly, if it's both good and relatively cheap, I see myself getting it on both XBox and Wii.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter

Sega's tricking us, they got the rights for Pikachu from Nintendo. He's a mouse so it makes sense.

This should definetly happen, I saw the word "crossed" in the OP so yea....

if anyone should be playable it better be Vector, he by far my favorite Sonic character.

finalark

SNORLAX
@Finalark: Yeah it may have a better d-pad, but after playing on the PS1 and PS2 for so long and then switching to the 360 controller, I can definitely say that the 360's controller is way more comfortable.
Yeah, I perfer the 360's controller over the PS3's but other than that... nothing else.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The achievement list for the first episode was revealed today:

The Story Begins
Clear SPLASH HILL ZONE, ACT 1. (5)

Crush Dr. Eggman
Defeat a boss for the first time. (5)

The First Chaos Emerald
Acquire a Chaos Emerald. (5)

Enemy Hunter
Defeat 1,000 enemies. (10)

Golden Flash
Clear all Acts as Super Sonic. (10)

All Stages Cleared!
Defeat the final boss and view the ending. (10)

Contender
Upload your recorded scores and clear times for all stages. (10)

Ring Collector
Collect all the Rings in ‘Special Stage 1′ and Clear the stage. (15)

Immortal
Build up 99 or more extra lives. (25)

Super Sonic Genesis
Acquire all seven Chaos Emeralds. (30)

Speed’s My Game
Clear SPLASH HILL ZONE ACT 1 in less than a minute. (35)

Untouchable
Clear the E.G.G. STATION ZONE without taking any damage. (40)
As I don't have a PS3/XBOX 360, I don't really care much for the Achievement list. But this caught my eye:

Golden Flash
Clear all Acts as Super Sonic. (10)
Super Sonic.
Instant-buy for me now.

Top Bottom