• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic 4 Episode 1.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'm pretty sure they were praying mantises.

finalark

SNORLAX
To me this game seems to be Sonic Team trying to prove that they can still make the classic style of games.
*COUGHCOUGH*Sonicadvancetrillogy*COUGHCOUGH*

Also, something from Sega:

Sega said:
What you all have accomplished in these last five days is something you should be proud of. It speaks to the passion that drives many of us who still have so much hope for Sonic, and for the games he stars in.

Today, we are about to break the trend that has continued on for many years. To the thousands of you out there asking for a game where Sonic is the only playable character – rejoice. As of today, your wish has been granted.

In Project Needlemouse, there will be no new characters – playable or otherwise. The focus will remain solely on one blue hedgehog.

(. . .)

There’s much more in store for Project Needlemouse – including lots more info on the game that is soon to come!

And so, after five days of awesome interaction and thousands upon thousands of correct trivia responses, you all can now take a well deserved break – even if your anticipation levels for this game may have just increased tenfold! We hope you guys are as excited for this game as we are.

From all of us here at SEGA – well done!

BSP

Smash Legend
^^Kinda don't wanna get my hopes up, but lets hope they get it right.

BTW, does anyone know which consoles the game will be on, and if Wii version will be a knockoff?

finalark

SNORLAX
Well Advance 2 was rather meh, and the common response to that is that Dimps made those and not Sonic Team.
Only played Advance 1 and 3. Didn't know that ST didn't make 'em.

BTW, does anyone know which consoles the game will be on, and if Wii version will be a knockoff?
PS3 and 360, I think Wii but I'm not sure. Not many details have been released on Needlemouse, but I expect in the following weeks we'll get more than just concept art for our efforts (assuming that Sega continues this triva thing).

Yoshara

Smash Lord
It was developed by both ST and Dimps but it is hard to say who did what, and most people just say it was Dimps who did everything.

BSP

Smash Legend
heh, I should get a 360 anyway, since wii is kinda going in the general direction.

When I do get one, I was thinking of trying that version of Unleashed (late I know). Is it actually worth the money (should be 20$ now)? I can't trust any game site reviews that much.

finalark

SNORLAX
heh, I should get a PS3 anyway, since wii is kinda going in the general direction.

When I do get one, I was thinking of trying that version of Unleashed (late I know). Is it actually worth the money (should be 20$ now)? I can't trust any game site reviews that much.

Fix'd.

Anyway, in the future if I can find the game for dirt I might check out the PS360 version. Who knows? Might actually be one step above dirt (that would be a politican).

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
/sighs

The fandom is the ones that are ruining Sonic. Not SEGA. All the constant *****ing and moaning has lead them into trying to "get the feel" for the series back, and when we DO get semblances of it, like in Sonic Unleashed? It gets **** on again, when the game was actually well designed, both from the Werehog and Hedgehog perspective.

Sonic was not just about all speed and being simple and being alone. A game with just Sonic in it? BORING. That's what made Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles so great. That's what made the Sonic Adventure series so amazing. We got new characters. No one complained about the new characters we kept on getting. So...what the hell happened?

Shadow boasted a gun in gameplay that wasn't broken and we run for the ****ing hills? Gimme a break. Sonic 2006 was the one game that I didn't really approve of, primarily because it played so much like a Beta in so many ways and was infuriating.

If Sonic's the only playable character in this game and is stupidly simple in story, I'll be sorely disappointed. Tails, Knuckles, even Shadow would be great alternatives as playable characters in the 2D play, and increases replay value. And anyone who *****es is just amongst those that have been corroding the Sonic franchise further and further.

Sorry for the hostilities in this post, but there's a reason why I seperated myself from the fanbase to begin with. It gives me a headache. -_-

Gameplay for this should be fun, regardless though.

bobson

Smash Lord
This is the first time a Sonic game has interested me since the Genesis.

I am cautiously pessimistic.

finalark

SNORLAX
/sighs

The fandom is the ones that are ruining Sonic. Not SEGA. All the constant *****ing and moaning has lead them into trying to "get the feel" for the series back, and when we DO get semblances of it, like in Sonic Unleashed? It gets **** on again, when the game was actually well designed, both from the Werehog and Hedgehog perspective.
Sonic Unleash had pretty good design in the daytime levels, and the Warehog bits were ruined for me because of how terrible the controls were on the Wii version (only one I played).

]Sonic was not just about all speed and being simple and being alone. A game with just Sonic in it? BORING.
(Points to Sonic 1)

That's what made Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles so great. That's what made the Sonic Adventure series so amazing. We got new characters. No one complained about the new characters we kept on getting. So...what the hell happened?
I don't mind new characters, I just mind annoying ones.

Shadow boasted a gun in gameplay that wasn't broken and we run for the ****ing hills?
I actually think that StH is a very underrated game.

Gimme a break. Sonic 2006 was the one game that I didn't really approve of, primarily because it played so much like a Beta in so many ways and was infuriating.
Never played it, so I don't know Mr. Cloud's name written in katakana then writen in English (sorry, had to point that out).

If Sonic's the only playable character in this game and is stupidly simple in story, I'll be sorely disappointed.
I know! How dare a game that's trying to go back to Sonic's roots be about Sonic! How dare the story not be one big clusterfork! How dare they keep it simple and strightforward like back in the Genesis days!

Tails, Knuckles, even Shadow would be great alternatives as playable characters in the 2D play, and increases replay value. And anyone who *****es is just amongst those that have been corroding the Sonic franchise further and further.
I have to agree here.

Sorry for the hostilities in this post, but there's a reason why I seperated myself from the fanbase to begin with. It gives me a headache. -_-

Gameplay for this should be fun, regardless though.
So it's safe to assume your not a Heroes hater just because it's a 3D Sonic game that isn't in the Adventure series?

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
1) Werehog sucked.
2) S3&K was great not only because of the story and the new characters, but because it did not fix what wasn't broken. The gameplay was good and stayed true to its original nature.
3) Plenty of people complained about the new characters in SA1. Big the Cat? Amy Rose? Really, that was fun? GTFO. Even Knuckles's gameplay got hated on, and rightfully so. I can honestly say that I wasn't that big of a fan of the treasure hunting, but it made sense in my mind, since even in Knux's introduction, he was deemed a treasure hunter and guardian of the master emerald.
4) Shadow's game... some of the levels in that game were Awesome. But enough of them were made of fail, and that's why people ran for the hills. Central City? Those Internet Core levels? FailharderSega.
5) I do agree that Tails and Knuckles (... and maybe Shadow :evil:) should be playable in the new Sonic game, but if Sega wants to go in the direction of making a solid Sonic with just one character and a simple story, I'm all for it so long as it's a Solid Sonic game.

My only fear at this point is that it might have not much more than 7 levels.......

finalark

SNORLAX

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Sonic 1 was a good game, but something that was built on in a good way though. I don't think going back to just that when we had great things in Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles, is more appealing. Sorry, I didn't mean to write out the first game. XD;

Cloud can and always will be taken on all forums, btw. I had to find an alternative, that and it also roots into my fascination with the language and the culture. that, and being my favorite vg char and all, well. You see where I'm going with this. xD;

People just either call me by my name (Brandon), Cloud, or my username anyway. /shrug

Yoshara

Smash Lord
I know! How dare a game that's trying to go back to Sonic's roots be about Sonic! How dare the story not be one big clusterfork! How dare they keep it simple and strightforward like back in the Genesis days!
There is no problem with keeping it straight-forward and simple, and focusing on Sonic, the problem is if they make the story too simple and practicly non existant (alot of people say Sonic doesn't need a story... yeah).

P.S. I know where you are coming from with the Wii versions werehog, and trust me on this, the 360's version is alot better.

P.P.S. This is what I thought you were going to post http://f3ng.deviantart.com/art/Sonic-Snake-V2-3266402

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer

Yeah, it's just the Hedgehog himself, with no new characters being introduced at all.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VoymN5uzMX0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VoymN5uzMX0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

EDIT: Oh hey look, (giant?) enemy crabs!

finalark

SNORLAX
You'll probably beat it by attacking its weak point for massive damage.

I really hope that we'll be getting more and more information soon, now I'm excited for this game. Wary, but still excited none the less.

LLDL

Smash Hero
gotta love how we did all that work for a krab. If this game blows, im going to quit beig a sonic(game) fan, be cause this is the DEFINING one hope of their return to formal glory.

finalark

SNORLAX
gotta love how we did all that work for a krab. If this game blows, im going to quit beig a sonic(game) fan, be cause this is the DEFINING one hope of their return to formal glory.
I grew up with Sonic, I played the games, read the comics, watched a little bit of the cartoons. But if they screw this one up... well, then Sonic will offically be gone in my eyes.

From our crab and the fact that the game is about Sonic, I can say that they are obviously going back to the Genesis days in terms of tone and style. Sonic 4, anyone?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Yeah, cause putting all of your faith into ONE game is totally not gonna bite you back in the ***.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
I am kinda dissapointed that they did not try to bring back the feeling of Sonic 3 & Knuckles and have Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles all playable, but hey, as long as they are making a good game I will be happy.

P.S. If the game is only gonna have Sonic, then who will be the villan?
Well, Tails and Knuckles weren't even on the list, so technically they weren't rejected. I think that might've been intentional. If they're Sonic 3 & Knuckles style bonus characters, I'll be happy.

Villain? Why, Ganon of course!

1) Werehog sucked.
2) S3&K was great not only because of the story and the new characters, but because it did not fix what wasn't broken. The gameplay was good and stayed true to its original nature.
3) Plenty of people complained about the new characters in SA1. Big the Cat? Amy Rose? Really, that was fun? GTFO. Even Knuckles's gameplay got hated on, and rightfully so. I can honestly say that I wasn't that big of a fan of the treasure hunting, but it made sense in my mind, since even in Knux's introduction, he was deemed a treasure hunter and guardian of the master emerald.
4) Shadow's game... some of the levels in that game were Awesome. But enough of them were made of fail, and that's why people ran for the hills. Central City? Those Internet Core levels? FailharderSega.
5) I do agree that Tails and Knuckles (... and maybe Shadow :evil:) should be playable in the new Sonic game, but if Sega wants to go in the direction of making a solid Sonic with just one character and a simple story, I'm all for it so long as it's a Solid Sonic game.

My only fear at this point is that it might have not much more than 7 levels.......
1) That's really just an opinion. I haven't played it yet, but a lot of people I've talked to admitted that the night stages weren't that bad, just that people hate them on principle of not being speed stages.

2) Can't disagree with that. I personally think that the main problem with the most recent Sonic games is that Sega seems to be afraid to go back to what has worked for them in the past without adding some gimmick they think will make the game more interesting or draw in fans, like they're afraid the tried and true isn't interesting anymore, though, again, I hear at least that the Werehog wasn't that bad.

3) People didn't like Amy's stages? Really? Why? They really weren't that much different than the other characters' stages. Also, I personally liked the fishing stages, though making them necessary for proceeding rather than just being a minigame extra was probably a bad idea.

4) Never played it, so I wouldn't know. It's pretty much the only Sonic game I've never been interested in.

5) Also, I agree. And, they seem to be going that route, if the Sonic 2 -esque Robo-Crab is any indication. However, a good story wouldn't be a bad idea, that is, one that doesn't try too hard and destroy it's own interesting points. One of the great things about the newer Mario games is that they go with the "basic premise plus some extra story," and they never try to force things into the story that wouldn't fit, or, if they do, they spin it in such a way that it still made light of.

6) Yeah. I really hope this game isn't too short as well. I wonder if they could add level packs as DLC?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Download Only? Sonic 4? Zone Names? All Inside
Let’s get right to it: The Dutch website SegaOnline is citing an anonymous source that is claiming to know a lot more about Project Needlemouse than anyone right now. We’d like to share that information with you.

Their report states that Needlemouse will be called Sonic 4. That had been referred to as an internal name by 1UP.com yesterday.

SegaOnline’s source claims that the game will only be for XBOX Live and the Playstation Network. That is something that has been hinted at previously by Sega employees. It looks increasingly likely that Wii users will be shutout of the next proper Sonic.
But here’s something no one saw coming–the game will be the first in a series.

Their source claims a name of Sonic 4: Episode 1. While that indicates piecemeal content, the downloads will be a full game, according to the information SegaOnline sent into us via News Tips:

Sonic 4 Episode 1, is going to be a full game. So that means 7 chaos emeralds and of course the purpose of defeating Dr. Eggman. You start in the Splash Hill Zone and finish in the E.G.G. Station zone.

Yes, those are zone names. Splash Hill Zone and E.G.G. Station Zone appear to be in, according to the source. We don’t know how many other zones are to be expected, but 7 with some special stages in the mix may be a good bet right now.
Their information claims the classic structure of acts and zones will be returning, but it’s not clear whether that means a 3 act or 2 act structure.

They, like us, are treating the information as rumor because of the nature of the source, and Sega has yet to comment on the report. However, in recent days, SegaOnline has been a very reliable source on Sonic information; they were first in the world to reveal Sonic Adventure’s re-release to XBOX Live. That’s why we’re taking the information seriously, and that’s why you should too.

We will wait for word from Sega on this story, a developing story. TSSZ News will follow up with anything more that we hear. We give great thanks to SegaOnline for tipping us off via our News Tips system.
http://www.tssznews.com/2010/01/22/eu-report-dishes-on-project-needlemouse/

Assuming all of this is true, I guess I have a reason to mess with my brother's PS3 now. That, or I can save up and get an XBox 360.

Still sucks for Wii users though, maybe.

finalark

SNORLAX
^Unless it comes from an offical source (or a very reliable unoffical one), I don't buy it.

Also, get a PS3. Won't break when you look at it crosseyed.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Would them saying that they are a reliable source count as them being a reliable source? It makes them seem more unreliable to me. :dizzy:

:069:

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
This game is being made by Sonic Team, right?

If it is, they can put all the spin in the world on to their game, but it's still going to suck. That dev team has been terrible for so many years that it's not even funny anymore.

What's their excuse going to be? That they forgot to treat all the past sonic sequels they've made like a ''true'' sequel? That this will magically make the game better, unlike all their past efforts?

(I'm just bitter because I bought sonic heroes. The only game purchase I've ever regretted.)

finalark

SNORLAX
Heroes was actually pretty good. But only on the Gamecube, everywhere else it was a joke.

Sonic Advance trilogy, go play those before you say that Sonic Team can't make games anymore.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Heroes was actually pretty good. But only on the Gamecube, everywhere else it was a joke.
I owned it on the gamecube.

I'm a patient gamer, but I honestly found that game unplayable. The homing attack fails (seriously, how lazy do you have to be to make the only attack for sonic broken?), the level design is terrible, the camera kills you, there are invisibile holes in several levels and in several places in some levels, the enemies suck, you can't open boxes without risking falling off the edge, thus making a simple box more dangerous than any enemy you will ever encounter in the whole game.

I remember buying it because most reviews gave it around 70% Personally, I'd have given it 3/10. Finished the game with the sonic trio and couldn't bring myself to play anymore. It was the last time I ever trusted reviews :laugh:

(I guess their handheld games have been decent so I stand corrected. But ''Sonic Team'' is actually quite a large set of employees who work on separate projects under the same name, so I'm not sure those people ever worked on the 3d ones.)

finalark

SNORLAX
I might be speaking through nostalgia, I think I was about nine or ten the last time I played the game. Eh, I remember it being pretty good, then again, I also thought that the Bionicle game was cool when I was around that age. :ohwell:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
People said that about Unleashed, too. It didn't happen.

It's also a little stupid to say that. If you say that, you'll either quit after it if it fails and ignore every Sonic game henceforth, potentially missing some good titles, or you'll not actually quit and therefore the statement will have been meaningless.

I think I said the same thing at some point and I never quit.

1) That's really just an opinion. I haven't played it yet, but a lot of people I've talked to admitted that the night stages weren't that bad, just that people hate them on principle of not being speed stages.
No, they sucked. By the end of the game I liked them more, but only because I realized that the daytime levels weren't really that good. Bad battle music, sloppy movement, lousy controls, tedious battles, too easy to accidentally fall into a pit and lose a life because something screws up.

I tried to like them, but they are lousy in design, and they're excruciatingly long.

If you want to hear a full analysis of them, refer to the Unleashed review I wrote that I linked to earlier in the thread. Perhaps they're better in the 360/PS3 version, but they certainly aren't "not that bad" in the Wii version.

3) People didn't like Amy's stages? Really? Why? They really weren't that much different than the other characters' stages. Also, I personally liked the fishing stages, though making them necessary for proceeding rather than just being a minigame extra was probably a bad idea.
Yeah, I agree. Some people over-criticize things, I think.

5) Also, I agree. And, they seem to be going that route, if the Sonic 2 -esque Robo-Crab is any indication. However, a good story wouldn't be a bad idea, that is, one that doesn't try too hard and destroy it's own interesting points. One of the great things about the newer Mario games is that they go with the "basic premise plus some extra story," and they never try to force things into the story that wouldn't fit, or, if they do, they spin it in such a way that it still made light of.
THAT'S EXACTLY IT, the new Mario games. I've always been a Sonic guy over Mario (even nowadays, I really am not a big fan of Mario as a character), but I realized while playing co-op NSMBWii and my friend was jokingly summing up the plot with "A) The cake is a lie, and B) Bowser is fat". That's what I like so much about the original Sonic games, the plot is "Robotnik has the Chaos Emeralds! Get him!" with a little bit of "Knuckles got tricked!" If they could just pull that kind of thing off, it would be great.

Also Rush on the DS is awesome (Rush Adventure is also pretty good too).
Rush is fun, but I eventually realized that, like the Unleashed daytime levels, its just "BOOST BOOST BOOST JUMP BOOST BOOST BOOST JUMP". Of course, it doesn't quite have the flaws Unleashed did (because walls don't have the same effect), but it's still very...focused on speed and not much else.

I owned it on the gamecube.

I'm a patient gamer, but I honestly found that game unplayable. The homing attack fails (seriously, how lazy do you have to be to make the only attack for sonic broken?), the level design is terrible, the camera kills you, there are invisibile holes in several levels and in several places in some levels, the enemies suck, you can't open boxes without risking falling off the edge, thus making a simple box more dangerous than any enemy you will ever encounter in the whole game.

I remember buying it because most reviews gave it around 70% Personally, I'd have given it 3/10. Finished the game with the sonic trio and couldn't bring myself to play anymore. It was the last time I ever trusted reviews :laugh:

(I guess their handheld games have been decent so I stand corrected. But ''Sonic Team'' is actually quite a large set of employees who work on separate projects under the same name, so I'm not sure those people ever worked on the 3d ones.)
I must say the game was glitchier than I remembered it being when I played it recently, but I always liked Heroes quite a bit, and still do now.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
The thing about Heroes is... it would be considered a great game if it wasn't for the controls, camera, and glitches (I can't count the number of times my characters fell off the stage due to missed homing attacks and punches). As it is, it's only a decent game with a lot of bugs plaguing it. :(

:069:

BSP

Smash Legend
I didn't like the fact that knuckles would slide 5 miles every time I punched :/ Missed HA's sucked too, and restarting at a checkpoint pretty much kills any chance of B rank or higher.

I still liked heroes though.

And I seriously need to get an Xbox/PS3.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
Man i really disliked Sonic Unleashed, thought it was horrible, the sonic nighttime stuff just felt like another of sega's trademark Gimmicks and butchering of the sonic series. . Im really hoping This project needlemouse is a new era in sonic games, and we can put all the other games behind us and get back to likes of sonic 1, 2 & 3

wowoduend

Smash Journeyman
Man i really disliked Sonic Unleashed, thought it was horrible, the sonic nighttime stuff just felt like another of sega's trademark Gimmicks and butchering of the sonic series. . Im really hoping This project needlemouse is a new era in sonic games, and we can put all the other games behind us and get back to likes of sonic 1, 2 & 3
Sonic levels **** you :<

Edit: What version did you play? Wii/PS2 version or the 360/PS3 version?

BSP

Smash Legend
Which one did you play?

Top Bottom