• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic 4 Episode 1.

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
Getting pretty hyped for this. If they mess this up, ALL those fans are gonna be so pissed (they seriously went crazy for the blog post contest). I really hope this game ends up doing well.

Yoshara

Smash Lord
"Speed is something that is not given; but rather earned through dedication. Speed is not found by simply pushing a boost button, but by building momentum. It is the reward for skill in the face of difficult challenges this kind of speed is the most exhilarating, not only because it is fast, but because of the pure perfection such speed exemplifies. This is the truth of the original Sonic games and this is the truth of Project Needlemouse. "

Sega's statement on speed in PN.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
tbh, I was hoping for a purely 2D adventure, just with High Definition epicness. There was a charm that was used in Sprites. 3D models are by no means bad though.

They'd better be listening even more, and with future installments and as Downloadable Content, Tails & Knuckles are playable. That would just make my life right there. Here's to another great effort on SEGA's part.

Yoshara

Smash Lord
My favorite thing they announced was that they are putting in the Homing Attack, which from what I have played (in the Sonic 1 Megamix hack) works great in 2D.

Edit: It also looks like the stages are not 3D models, but instead are drawn.

Edit 2: The game site is up http://www.sega.com/sonic4/us/index.html

It looks like we are gonna get some more info tommorow judging by the countdown timers on the site.

Edit 3: It also looks like the game storywise takes place right after 3&K.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Ahh i'm so disappointed, look at that crappy walking animation.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I'm sure it's quite beta and it will look better later.

I just want Knuckles playabale (there seems to be one more character you can play as if u look at the games site) and super/hyper characters playable in every stage.

AzureWing

Smash Apprentice
Maybe Knuckles and Tails will be playable in episode 2. Just a thought.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Finally they're putting homing attack into a 2D Sonic game. That was like the best thing to come from Sonic since it went 3D, and hopefully they can bring it back to Adventure 2 standards (the Homing Attack was pretty much perfect there).

Anyways, I'm pretty excited for this. I won't like it as much as 2 and probably 1, but it can only be better than CD and 3 for me XD. I'm just hoping that I'll have to do something other than hold right like I did on Advance 2 and Rush.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I'm a huge Sonic fan, and I've been hyping Needlemouse for a while. But seeing a sprinting Sonic 1, 2 and 3 Sonic transition to whatever the **** that Sonic 4 Sonic was doing... didn't look good. At all. Was he running in tar? They should just use his Brawl running animation ffs.

They best be fixing that.

Also, homing attack? Really?

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm sure they'll fix the walking / running animation in time. This is just to show us the general idea, y'know?

Also, I really, really like the design of that first stage. I'm flashing back to Sonic 3 and Sonic 2 simultaneously.

AzureWing

Smash Apprentice
I doubt what we saw in the video is the final product. I really like the cell shading.

finalark

SNORLAX
All I can say:

I FREAKIN' CALLED IT! I WAS RIGHT! IT IS SONIC 4!

But I'm not sure how I feel about the episodes... I hope they don't make it so that it's one level per. episode. Because that would suck.

Denzi

Smash Master
I remember first hearing about this when no one new what it was. I honestly liked this guess better:

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
And? Sonic is definitely able to regain its status as a good series with this.

Besides, Unleashed wasn't THAT bad. Neither was Sonic Rush 2 or The Secret Rings (which is massively underrated, imo).
This.

CharacterFiller

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Really, adding the Homing Attack to a 2D game is probably one of their better ideas with Sonic 4, and the Sonic 1 Megamix ROM hack has proved that it can work perfectly in 2D.
Is there a video somewhere so I can see what this looks like? Interested how it could work.

Also, this game really came at a good time for Sonic,

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1928753&fullscreen=1" width="640" height="360" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="movie" quality="best" value="http://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1928753&fullscreen=1"/><embed src="http://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1928753&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="640" height="360" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><div style="padding:5px 0; text-align:center; width:640px;">See more <a href="http://www.collegehumor.com/videos">funny videos</a> and <a href="http://www.collegehumor.com/pictures">funny pictures</a> at <a href="http://www.collegehumor.com/">CollegeHumor</a>.</div>

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Here is a video of the first zone of Sonic 1 Megamix. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYucy_3a2I8
That's the homing attack with the Speed Thok thrown in there, I'm hoping that Sonic 4's Homing attack is more horizontally oriented to prevent it being used to pick up speed easily. Speed is a reward, as you know.

But yeah, I'm just gonna leave the 'Intro' page, which won't be unlocked for a couple of hours, here.

Story thus far:

It began as Sonic's animal friends begin disappearing from South Island. Soon Sonic discovers that evil scientist Dr. Eggman has been kidnapping them and turning them into robots to collect the legendary treasure - The Chaos Emeralds. Sonic decides it's up to him to save them and embarks on a quest to free his animal friends. Sonic battles Eggman through many different zones. Sonic eventually pursues Eggman to Final Zone where the first in many epic battles between them begins. In the end Sonic is victorious and Eggman's Mecha fly's away badly damaged. Sonic returns to Green Hill Zone and re-unites with his friends.

Their reunion is short lived however, as Eggman resurfaces and begins kidnapping Sonic friends again, in an effort to create more workers to finish his ultimate Weapon - The Death Egg! Teaming up with the newly met, Miles 'Tails' Prower, Sonic embarks on a new mission through West Side Island in an effort to free his friends and ensure Eggman does not obtain the 7 Chaos emeralds to fuel the Death Egg.

Once the West Side Island is freed, Sonic and Tails eventually board the Tornado and assault the Death Egg itself. After destroying Mecha Sonic, Eggman flees and enters his new Eggman Robot attacking Sonic! After a heated battle Sonic destroys the Eggman Robot and the Death Egg begins to explode.

Sonic and Tails fly down and come across mysterious island called Angel Island. This island is floating by the power of the precious stone called Master Emerald, but now this mysterious island are dropping down to the ocean surface because the Death Egg had been falling on this island. Sonic and Tails are attacked by a Red Echidna named Knuckles the guardian of the island.

Knuckles steals the Chaos emeralds from Sonic, being tricked by Eggman that he is an enemy come to take the Master Emerald.While Sonic and Tails are entangled by Knuckles, Eggman repairs the Death Egg and preps it for launch.

Sonic manages to jump on Death Egg just as it's flying off. After confronting Eggman on the Death Egg, Sonic defeats Eggman once more and the Death Egg plummets back to Angel Island.

Back on the ground Dr. Eggman begins the repairing Death Egg again. Feeling Knuckles has served his purpose, he sends EggRobo to eliminate this potential threat. EggRobo finds Knuckles relaxing in Mushroom Zone and drops a bomb on him but Knuckles manages to survive. Enraged, the Wild Echidna sets off to defeat EggRobo. Meanwhile Sonic and Tails explore the island to find traces of the Death Egg and find out Eggman's fate. After and Epic showdown between Sonic and Knuckles, Eggman uses the opportunity to finally steal the Master Emerald and re-launches the Death Egg. With the power of the emeralds, Sonic goes after Eggman, who has taken the Master Emerald into space.

Sonic and Tails secure the Master Emerald and return it to Knuckles on Angel Island. With it's power restored, the Angel Island lifts off into the sky as Sonic and Tails fly off into the sunset.

But this humiliating defeat only serves to further Eggman's rage, and he has determined once and for all to rid himself of Sonic. Eggman revisits - and improves - the very best of his creations to defeat our spiked hero.

And so a new Adventure begins...

It's uh... nothing really new.

Yoshara

Smash Lord
It may not be that much new but it proves that SEGA still is pretty dam leaky with the fact that the intro page is not unlocked yet, but we can still click right next to it to load it.
P.S. I hope that they change the pic for S&K to something actually from S&K before the intro page is officially unlocked.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
This isn't really spoilers or anything, but if you don't want to read the intro spoiler thing that SuperTH then don't read this XD.

Sonic 3 starts off with Super Sonic right? So why would Knuckles attack him to stop him from stealing the Master Emerald when he already had it?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The chaos emeralds are used to turn into Super sonic, not the master emerald. (which knuckles then steals)

also, afair, at the end of Sonic 3, Super wears off so he gets a ride down to the island on tails' plane.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
Give. Us. Mighty.
Give. Us. Mighty.
Give. Us. Mighty.
Give. Us. Mighty.
Give. Us. Mighty.
Give. Us. Mighty.
Give. Us. Mighty.
Give. Us. Mighty.
Give. Us. Mighty.
Give. Us. Mighty.
Give. Us. Mighty.
Give. Us. Mighty.
Give. Us. Mighty.
Give. Us. Mighty.

My personal roster:
1.)Sonic
2.)Mighty/Knuckles
3.)Shadow
4.)This needlemouse dude.
5.)Nack the Weasel/Fang the Sniper.

Tails can go die in a ditch for all I care.

Yoshara

Smash Lord
Not so much interweb hax as much as it was changing the name of the image location from "platform_locked" to "platform".

Top Bottom