• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic 4 Episode 1.

finalark

SNORLAX
So any Sonic the Hedgehog fan who can call him/herself one with a stright face is probablly pumped for Needlemouse. I know I fall into this catagory, and Sega's either teasing us fans with how we look at the ever expanding cast of Sonic the Hedgehog characters or I'm going to be disapointed in Needlemouse. On the official Sega Blog, they will be crossing characters that may or may not be playable in the game off of a picture, however, they'll only be giving these secrets away if Sonic fans can awnser oldschool Sonic trivia questions correctly. Here's the blog:

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/01/11/project-needlemouse-character-countdown-day-1/

And here's the picture:

And here's my two cents on all of the characters:

Chip: Okay, now you're just screwing with us.

Shadow: I know that the fanbase is split on this character, and I can smell a flamewar from a mile away.

Sonic: What do you think?

Charmy: OH GOD PLEASE NO

Vector: I like Vector, but...

Shade: Excuse me, who?

Froggy: HA!

Amy: See "Charmy"

Tikal: ... she hasn't even been in a Sonic game since Adventure 2.

Big the ca- BANG! BANG BANG BANG BANG! (click-click) BANG BANG BANG BANG!

Mr. Needlemouse: ... mind games son....

So what do you guys think? I personally think that Sonic is going to be the only playable character in the game.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Can't help but notice Tails isn't on that list...

Neither is Knuckles...

I'm going to go with... everyone on the list but Sonic getting crossed off, and the other playable characters are the ones that aren't on it.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
I'm going to assume that when they said that they're going back to the original Sonic, they ment that they are going back to the original Sonic.
True enough. When I think of extra playable character for this anyway I think of just extra characters for the same story mode... like how Sonic 3 & Knuckles allowed a choice between Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles - truly extra characters, not multiple characters in the same story.

finalark

SNORLAX
True enough. When I think of extra playable character for this anyway I think of just extra characters for the same story mode... like how Sonic 3 & Knuckles allowed a choice between Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles - truly extra characters, not multiple characters in the same story.
I wouldn't be supprised if this was the case. After all, if they're returning to classic Sonic (I actually think they got the idea after seeing Capcom's success with Mega Man 9) they're going to want to put in the best elements from the classic Sonic games. A lot of us really enjoyed playing as the extra characters, I expect to see Tails and Knuckles in Needlemouse.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
So any Sonic the Hedgehog fan who can call him/herself one with a stright face is probablly pumped for Needlemouse.
To be honest, I'm never pumped for Sonic games anymore, even though I'd consider myself a Sonic fan. >_>

After Unleashed, it's kind of hard to be. Even Sonic Shuffle is better than that. And Sonic Shuffle is pretty full of fail, not to mention palm trees with mittens, scarves, fishing rods, and pails.

Chip: Okay, now you're just screwing with us.
We can only hope.

Shadow: I know that the fanbase is split on this character, and I can smell a flamewar from a mile away.
Kind of hoping not.

Sonic: What do you think?
If not someone is going to get stabbed.

Charmy: OH GOD PLEASE NO

Vector: I like Vector, but...
I wouldn't have TOO much of a problem with these guys.

Shade: Excuse me, who?
Sonic Chronicles is responsible for this piece of fail, anything that comes from it is therefore an abomination.

Froggy: HA!

Amy: See "Charmy"
Agreed.

Tikal: ... she hasn't even been in a Sonic game since Adventure 2.
And she was only playable in multiplayer.

Big the ca- BANG! BANG BANG BANG BANG! (click-click) BANG BANG BANG BANG!
HAFTA SAVE FRAWGY

Mr. Needlemouse: ... mind games son....
Please not. No more new characters. Especially not after Chip and PROFESSOR PICKLE.

So what do you guys think? I personally think that Sonic is going to be the only playable character in the game.
I WANT this to be the case, but I can't say I actually think that it's true.

/has lost faith in Sega as far as Sonic is concerned.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer

Sega's tricking us, they got the rights for Pikachu from Nintendo. He's a mouse so it makes sense.

finalark

SNORLAX
After Unleashed, it's kind of hard to be. Even Sonic Shuffle is better than that. And Sonic Shuffle is pretty full of fail, not to mention palm trees with mittens, scarves, fishing rods, and pails.
Oh my god Shuffle. I remember back when my friend rented that, we played it for about half and hour before I said, "You wanna go play Mario Party?" Which was met with "Yeah."

You know the funny thing about Unleashed? After struggling through the failhog levels, the bad dialog, CHIP, and PROFESOR PICKLE I thought to myself "Wow, this seems really kiddy for a Sonic game, see how two games prior to this you had Shadow going around shooting **** while aliens brought about the end of the world and everyone is suddenly swearing like a teenager!"

As far as I'm concered, they probably got the idea for Needlemouse from Mega Man 9. This is a good thing, bringing Mega Man back to when he was most successful worked for Capcom so it could work for Sonic if they do it right. But if they screw up here, I'm going to say that Sonic ended after Heroes and call it a day.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

Sega's tricking us, they got the rights for Pikachu from Nintendo. He's a mouse so it makes sense.
FFFFF

You just blew my mind.

Oh my god Shuffle. I remember back when my friend rented that, we played it for about half and hour before I said, "You wanna go play Mario Party?" Which was met with "Yeah."
Bahaha, I own a copy of it, in like, brand-new condition. Of course, I was aware of it's lul before I got it, which was precisely why I got it, actually.

finalark

SNORLAX

My mind has been throughly blown.

Seriously, you made my day with this.

Bahaha, I own a copy of it, in like, brand-new condition. Of course, I was aware of it's lul before I got it, which was precisely why I got it, actually.
Wait, you got it just so you could see how fail it was?

Yeah, I've done that once or twice.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Well, I got it partially to see how fail it was, and partially to have it because it's just funny how fail it is. If that makes any sense at all.

Plus, I'm a video game collector, and epic flops are pretty worthy of collecting. (Ideally I would have every game as a collector, but there are certain games you're more likely to aim for.)

finalark

SNORLAX
Well, I got it partially to see how fail it was, and partially to have it because it's just funny how fail it is. If that makes any sense at all.

Plus, I'm a video game collector, and epic flops are pretty worthy of collecting. (Ideally I would have every game as a collector, but there are certain games you're more likely to aim for.)
I'm a bit of a collector myself. Not a "hardcore" collector (if I was, the copies of A Link to the Past, Super Mario World and Super Metroid would not be sitting in my local Play N Trade right now) I usually only collect rare games that I can actually play.

You know, I think if I can find a copy of Shuffle for dirt I might just pick that so that way the next time I hear somebody suggest a Mario-party style Sonic thing I can show it to them.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
GAH, I wish I lived near you! I need to get myself a copy of ALttP and SMW. Wouldn't hurt to get another copy of Super Metroid just because it's too good, too.

...But I'm getting sidetracked.

I'm interested to see how Needlemouse is going to turn out, even if I imagine it's going to suck. I want to be somewhat open-minded about it.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm interested to see how Needlemouse is going to turn out, even if I imagine it's going to suck. I want to be somewhat open-minded about it.
I'm glad that they decided to go through with it. In most cases, I don't like it when develpers go back and decide to screw innovation and originality and just rely off of nostalgia to carry their game, but here's I'm okay with it for the same reason I was okay with Mega Man 9. I only recently got into Mega Man, but some research revealed that the quality of his games went way down hill after Mega Man 64. So what do you do when you hit rock bottom in the gaming world? Just get back on your first by going back to where you first began.

I think that this is the best direction for Sonic to take at this point, it's generally agreed on by a majority of gamers and critics that most post-Heroes Sonic games are dirt. Not to mention that the story and mythology of the Sonic unververse can best be described as one big clustermuck now that we have games that somes time connect to the main story but sometimes they don't and sometimes they just seem to just make crap up. I think that if Needlemouse ends up being a complete reboot of the Sonic franchise, then that will be the best direction to take. Let's just hope that Sonic Team doesn't screw it up (note that they do make some good 2D Sonics, I point to the Sonic Advance trilogy as an example).

EDIT: Well, okay. Sonic 4 would be pretty cool too.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I'm confused about Vector and Charmy on that list, especially since Espio isn't on there (or Mighty :3). Surely SEGA won't cut down Team Chaotix to 1 or 2 members now, but if they do, I'd go for Vector, who has had the most playable appearances of the team, to be a playable character.

I could also see Chip replacing Charmy, as they both play the same, as in theey are small, hovering characters, but I'd much sooner see the whole gang.

Ideally, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, and possibly some members if not all of Team Chaotic should be playable. But that leaves one question.....

Where is Cream and Cheese?!

Spire

III
BRoomer
This is an absolutely awful list of characters. Whatever happened to Jet and Espio? Those two are easily my favorite characters outside of Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails. I'd love a game that's based only around Sonic, Jet, and Espio. Vector and Charmy are alright. Chip is the worst thing to happen to the franchise.

But hint: the game is called Project Needlemouse, meaning hedgehog. That may mean that only hedgehogs are playable. From that list: Sonic, Shadow, Amy. If they make a game based around those three... ugh, Sega will have failed again.

UberMario

Smash Master
But hint: the game is called Project Needlemouse, meaning hedgehog.
A few months ago I thought that name was just a placeholder like Project Dolphin and Revolution were, but I'm suprised they haven't changed it.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I can't believe people are complaining about the list of characters as if it's LEGIT!

Here's two explanations:
1) Tails and Knuckles are playable. And why would Sega show them? It's just obvious.
2) Sonic's truly the only playable character and Sega is just trolling to get the fans riled up... and it's working.

Gawd, no wonder I stopped assoiciating myself with Sonic fans. Espiecally the fairweather ones.

Spire

III
BRoomer
A few months ago I thought that name was just a placeholder like Project Dolphin and Revolution were, but I'm suprised they haven't changed it.
No, it's definitely a placeholder name. Sorry to confuse.
I can't believe people are complaining about the list of characters as if it's LEGIT!

Here's two explanations:
1) Tails and Knuckles are playable. And why would Sega show them? It's just obvious.
2) Sonic's truly the only playable character and Sega is just trolling to get the fans riled up... and it's working.

Gawd, no wonder I stopped assoiciating myself with Sonic fans. Espiecally the fairweather ones.
Time will tell. It'll also prove your level of *******ness.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Its obvious what they're doing. They are going to knock off every single character until only Sonic is left. Its clear this game is big time fan service (not that that will be a bad thing, look at SF4, fan service but still a great game.) The countdown is a spoof off of the overcrowded universe that is the sonic games. One of the biggest complaint is the mass amount of charecters in recent sonic games, and this is them showing that they are answering the fan calls for a sonic only game.

I'll laugh when this ends up being like Mega Man 9 and 10 (also not a bad thing, just what I'm expecting).

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'll laugh when this ends up being like Mega Man 9 and 10 (also not a bad thing, just what I'm expecting).
Well the teaser trailer says it's being built from the ground up, so there's a chance it'll step up both in graphics and mechanics.

I still stand by the need to flesh out some of the more interesting characters that have had only a couple appearances in the spin-off games, just as Waluigi needs some spotlight time.

Perhaps a Sonic Adventure 3 (a true one, not one that goes into development, but ends up as Sonic Unleashed) could flesh out a larger cast of characters so we can take them a bit more seriously by experiencing them for what they are. Jet's a hawk, Espio's a chameleon -- those elements could be used to play out original styles of gameplay for the franchise, but again, would only work in SA3. I know not why I keep returning to them; I simply love their designs as opposed to characters like Tikal and Cream.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Takin' all bets, folks!

My money's on everyone but Sonic being crossed, as one giant gag on the players by Sega.

My longshot money's on a new trailer coming out once all the characters have been crossed out

finalark

SNORLAX
My money's on everyone but Sonic being crossed, as one giant gag on the players by Sega.

My longshot money's on a new trailer coming out once all the characters have been crossed out
I agree with all of this. Sega's just trolling the fanbase, and they're making fun of themselves in the process.

I hope they try something new instead of falling into trying to renact the older sonics
Why? Each time they've tried something new it failed and became little more than a joke in the eyes of the gaming comunity. Now they need to go back to his roots more than anything! Now that I think about, Needlemouse is probably going to become one big appology cake to the Sonic fanbase.

Its obvious what they're doing. They are going to knock off every single character until only Sonic is left. Its clear this game is big time fan service (not that that will be a bad thing, look at SF4, fan service but still a great game.) The countdown is a spoof off of the overcrowded universe that is the sonic games. One of the biggest complaint is the mass amount of charecters in recent sonic games, and this is them showing that they are answering the fan calls for a sonic only game.

Agreed

Two of my liest favorite characters in the Sonic franchise got a big "rejected" stamp on their names.

That made my day.

Where is Cream and Cheese?!
Gone. Forever, hopefully.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Takin' all bets, folks!

I hope you're right. Just give me Sonic and Tails and I'm good.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I don't understand why people consider Sonic Unleashed to be a bad game. I think it is better than Heroes, although not quite as good as the Adventure games, but still very enjoyable. =/

I'm talking about the 360/PS3 version, by the way. The Wii/PS2 version really does suck.

:069:

finalark

SNORLAX
I don't understand why people consider Sonic Unleashed to be a bad game. I think it is better than Heroes, although not quite as good as the Adventure games, but still very enjoyable. =/

I'm talking about the 360/PS3 version, by the way. The Wii/PS2 version really does suck.

:069:
I only played the Wii version but...

did you seriously like the night segments?

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
It was better than I expected, really. But I kept my expectations low for those sections. It was more enjoyable than anything in Sonic '06, though (wasted like 15 hours of my life playing through that game... =_=).

By the way, the Wii/PS2 version has like 3x more night segments than the 360/PS3 version, and also doesn't include Empire City and most of Mazuri. >_>

EDIT: Also, I liked the mini-games in Sonic Shuffle. The whole card-based gameplay and battles were really terrible, though.

finalark

SNORLAX
It was better than I expected, really. But I kept my expectations low for those sections. It was more enjoyable than anything in Sonic '06, though (wasted like 15 hours of my life playing through that game... =_=).
Yeah. I didn't have a 360 or PS3 back in '06. But from what I heard Sonic '06 is so bad that it makes children cry. Now, I personally could not stand the night levels in Unleashed (remember, I onlyed played on the Wii). Okay, I'm not a big fan of Spectile Fighters in the first place (games like God of War, Devil May Cry, ect.), so there's no way I'll like some dumbed-down bad verion of God of War.

And Chip.... oh my god Chip. I think that Sega realized that a more "mature" Sonic (Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic '06) wasn't working, so they tried really make it into something for kids. But Chip... okay, my seven-year-old cusin couldn't even stand Chip.

By the way, the Wii/PS2 version has like 3x more night segments than the 360/PS3 version, and also doesn't include Empire City and most of Mazuri. >_>

Hmm. The night time levels still sucked.

EDIT: Also, I liked the mini-games in Sonic Shuffle. The whole card-based gameplay and battles were really terrible, though.[/color]
I really don't remember much about Sonic Shuffle. All I remember from it was that my friend and I didn't like it when he rented it (and we were about seven at the time, the age where you'll like something just because your favorite character is in it). About a half-hour after playing it we just poped in Mario Party.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah. I didn't have a 360 or PS3 back in '06. But from what I heard Sonic '06 is so bad that it makes children cry.
The only huge complaint about the game that I agree with is that it can be pretty glitchy. Well, and the loading screens. But honestly, it's very underrated. It's not the best Sonic ever or anything, but people bash it much more than is necessary, at least from my experience.

Silver's lines made me want to stab him, though.

IT'S NO USE1!1!!!11!!!11!!!

Now, I personally could not stand the night levels in Unleashed (remember, I onlyed played on the Wii).
Now see, everyone claimed that the Wii version was the best when it came out, now people are saying the 360 version is better.

I'm seriously debating buying the game (first time I played it, I just borrowed my friend's copy [for Wii] in exchange for letting him borrow Sonic '06). Maybe for 360. It sucks, but I suppose I should try out the 360/PS3 version too, and I don't like renting games.

If I can find it cheap enough at some point, I probably will.

I can't imagine either version of the game is very good, though. Especially if they didn't change the soundtrack, specifically the battle music for night levels. That song ***** the jazz genre.

And Chip.... oh my god Chip. I think that Sega realized that a more "mature" Sonic (Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic '06) wasn't working, so they tried really make it into something for kids. But Chip... okay, my seven-year-old cusin couldn't even stand Chip.
I don't know what's worse; Chip or Chip's background story.
I really want that...thing...being in charge of holding back evil.

finalark

SNORLAX
Hmmm.... maybe I'll give Sonic '06 a chance in the future.

Also, I don't like renting games either. I'll either barrow them from my friends, or just flat out buy them. And while I'm on that topic, I also barrowed the Wii verson of Sonic Unleashed from a friend. And that plot twist about Chip... at that point I was almost ready to just throw my Wiimote through the screen and just be done with it. God that was just so stupid, it was like they said "okay, we need the make this character important somehow..." and the rest is history!

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Hmmm.... maybe I'll give Sonic '06 a chance in the future.

Also, I don't like renting games either. I'll either barrow them from my friends, or just flat out buy them. And while I'm on that topic, I also barrowed the Wii verson of Sonic Unleashed from a friend. And that plot twist about Chip... at that point I was almost ready to just throw my Wiimote through the screen and just be done with it. God that was just so stupid, it was like they said "okay, we need the make this character important somehow..." and the rest is history!
Yeah, my friend actually explained his rationale for not renting/borrowing games at one point and ever since then I've not wanted to borrow/rent games anymore. His rationale is that being a collector, he'll likely want to buy the game at some point anyways. Then if you rent/borrow it, it's less fun when you actually buy it, making it feel less worth buying.

I never really rented games very often, though. I think I did it once. And that was "Yu-gi-Oh! The Falsebound Kingdom", if I recall correctly. I think I really only did it because I had a Blockbuster gift card and I don't like movies much. Either way, it's a good thing I did rent it, because it was basically a standard RPG with Yu-gi-Oh plugged in. Which defeats the purpose, since you generally buy a video game based upon some other game in order to actually play something similar to that game.

I haven't borrowed too many games either, though I do remember borrowing Mario Kart: Super Circuit, SSB64, Unleashed, and Super Paper Mario (it was when I borrowed that from one of my friends that my other friend pointed out his reasoning for not borrowing games).

finalark

SNORLAX
His rationale is that being a collector, he'll likely want to buy the game at some point anyways. Then if you rent/borrow it, it's less fun when you actually buy it, making it feel less worth buying.
Eh, makes sense to me.

I never really rented games very often, though. I think I did it once. And that was "Yu-gi-Oh! The Falsebound Kingdom", if I recall correctly. I think I really only did it because I had a Blockbuster gift card and I don't like movies much. Either way, it's a good thing I did rent it, because it was basically a standard RPG with Yu-gi-Oh plugged in. Which defeats the purpose, since you generally buy a video game based upon some other game in order to actually play something similar to that game.
I used to rent games a lot, but then I realized that it's more efficent to just go out and buy them. Since then, well, I haven't even seen the inside of a Blockbuser since about fourth grade. Also, I remember Falsebound Kingdom. Don't remember much about it, though.

I haven't borrowed too many games either, though I do remember borrowing Mario Kart: Super Circuit, SSB64, Unleashed, and Super Paper Mario (it was when I borrowed that from one of my friends that my other friend pointed out his reasoning for not borrowing games).
I've borrowed a lot of games in my life. Actually, as of wrting, I'm currently borrowing Pokemon Colloseum from one friend and Devil May Cry 3 and 4 along with something called Gaurdian's Crusade. I haven't layed a finger on Colloseum ever since school started up again, I've only barely played DMC3, and I haven't even opened the cases for DMC4 and Gaurdan's Crusade yet.

Hmm. I should probably go return those.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Sonic unleash was a great game

And I thought the night Levels were ****ing great, it had nothing to do with speed but **** it was fun

And you Ps3 and 360 are better but Wii version was still good

_________

Hey did everyone now some time this year a Sonic game called Sonic the racers is coming out! Can't wait

Top Bottom