• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic General Discussion/Social thread

Luk

Smash Journeyman
What are Sonic's "win conditions"?
Swag on 'em
Where are Sonic's different spacings at?
At Swag's length(his feet)
How would you describe Sonic's ground movement?
Swaggy
How would you describe Sonic's aerial movement?
Press B to swag
Where do his ground and air game intercept?
Uthrow>Dair>L-Cancel>Utilt>Uair> A or B
A(mid percent)> single jump Uair > DJ Nair > Swag
B(High percent)> Uair> UPB Nair/Uair > Swag

If you think I'm joking watch any footage of me with someone commentating.
I do like the sound of all that swag. Any specific videos where the swag is particularly strong? (for those of us too lazy to search around).

Luk

Smash Journeyman
So does aerial down-b cancel have any use outside of looking pretty cool with Jet Set costume? I've used it to grab ledge from decently far away, but that's about it.
I like to use it to gain some extra horizontal ground while recovering. Also because you drop pretty quickly while using it, it can be a good option to get closer to the stage while avoiding an opponent that's chasing you off stage (Imagine down-b -> DJ -> bair as a pretty sweet reversal)
Edit: Just to expand on this a bit more, I've seen some really great Sonics use down-b -> DJ -> side-b to get not quite 3.1 levels of horizontal recovery, but pretty dang nice horizontal distance, so don't discount it's usefulness as a recovery option if you've still got that second jump.

On-stage, maybe a bit more situational. Though one of my favorites is, while on a platform and face to face with the opponent, a fun surprise/mix up is to drop through -> down-b -> DJ -> bair. If done quickly, it can be a fairly quick cross-up that can catch people off guard if not used too often.

Last edited:

DrugsM2

Smash Apprentice
I like to use it to gain some extra horizontal ground while recovering. Also because you drop pretty quickly while using it, it can be a good option to get closer to the stage while avoiding an opponent that's chasing you off stage (Imagine down-b -> DJ -> bair as a pretty sweet reversal)
Edit: Just to expand on this a bit more, I've seen some really great Sonics use down-b -> DJ -> side-b to get not quite 3.1 levels of horizontal recovery, but pretty dang nice horizontal distance, so don't discount it's usefulness as a recovery option if you've still got that second jump.

On-stage, maybe a bit more situational. Though one of my favorites is, while on a platform and face to face with the opponent, a fun surprise/mix up is to drop through -> down-b -> DJ -> bair. If done quickly, it can be a fairly quick cross-up that can catch people off guard if not used too often.
I do that with uairs literally all the time lol

http://www.gfycat.com/ContentClutteredAfricangoldencat

Incenetum

Smash Cadet
Oh, sorry for not being more clear. I didn't mean any kind of a jump cancel. It's like the grounded one where you hit L/R/whatever you have for shield while charging it and you just stop. I have a video of it if that doesn't make sense how I described it.

Luk

Smash Journeyman
Oh, sorry for not being more clear. I didn't mean any kind of a jump cancel. It's like the grounded one where you hit L/R/whatever you have for shield while charging it and you just stop. I have a video of it if that doesn't make sense how I described it.
Oh, in that case... other than mild mind-games, not much use. Though I have seen some very good players use it to drag an opponent down off stage, cancel with the shield as you describe, then DJ up-b to safety.

I've never been very good at the technique and I think there are probably other options that are as good or better, but a pretty stylish/cool tech none-the-less. Someone posted some video or a gif of this somewhere but I can't find it at the moment.

Luk

Smash Journeyman
Oh, maybe as an example of how to incorporate this. I have a habit (a good one I hope) with certain characters when they're recovering low. I'll drop down after them, aiming to come down right on top of them. If their DI/my lack of meeting them has them out in front of me, I fair, if DI/I screw up has them behind me, bair, if I come down right over them, you could then do the charging down-b to drag them down down down, cancel, DJ, up-b.

Just a thought. I'd probably F it up and be safer just nairing.

Luk

Smash Journeyman
So these late Nair gimps are a real threat now, gotta love how deep Sonic can go!
Were they not a threat before? Does something in 3.6 make his late nair gimps more deadly? Or do you just mean you've started seeing it a lot more recently?

Vultron

Smash Apprentice
Were they not a threat before? Does something in 3.6 make his late nair gimps more deadly? Or do you just mean you've started seeing it a lot more recently?
With the hitbox being homogenized we are now able to do the latest hitbox Nair has to offer, and it covers most of Sonic's body. In 3.5, the only hitbox that was the size of Sonic's body was the sweetspot, then the hitboxes got smaller and moved in a spiral motion inwards, making you very vulnerable.

Last edited:

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Gonna make a note that while sparring with Dirtboy, my Homing Attack locked on to him while he was doing his usual off-stage shenanigans(I lot of side-B to recover, some walljumps, and superannoying sweetspot), Sonic jerked right a moment before going down(a standard lock on), but instead of a recoverable state, he went into special fall.

Now I know the PMDT seems to love giving Sonic more and more odd barriers to his moves, but this one probably is a bug. No attempts to replicate were made, we were at a tournament and just keeping fresh. Just thought I'd mention it.

JFyst

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1822-1491-9293
Sonics homing attack locks on to pk Fire on ness, is this a bug ? or ment to be this way?

Last edited:

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Yea that's the only way.

Just gonna mention an animation bug with Sonic's ftilt. Was looking into some of my taunt cancel shenanigans when I noticed it, but it happens anywhere at any time - he sinks slightly when using ftilt for two or so frames as he extends his legs, then his hands shoot back up to where they're supposed to be.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Nobody replied to me in the MU thread due to it being about Wario but I'd still like to know how Sonic fares against Falcon...my least favorite MU.

Incenetum

Smash Cadet
I ****ing love Sonic vs Falcon. He's so ez to beat up because you can effectively out lame him via your DD and his small grab range makes it hard to grab out of charged/fast downb. If he hits you, you should die, but that's the nature of Falcon anyway so I can't whine about that.

Vultron

Smash Apprentice
Have you guys noticed/felt that Homing Attack is missing more than it should? Like gimping Fox's recovery sometimes Sonic would just miss, albeit Fox barely moving.

NyTR0

Smash Apprentice
Have you guys noticed/felt that Homing Attack is missing more than it should? Like gimping Fox's recovery sometimes Sonic would just miss, albeit Fox barely moving.
Hmm... So I'm not the only one with questions on HA it seems... There are times where I am rediculously far and HA targets and hits an enemy and there are times where an enemy would be RIGHT BELOW me (fox for example when I'm trying to HA gimp early) and it doesn't even detect anything.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Following enemy and they're starting tech Chase start aerial down B. If you time it right you can follow up super easy with every option covered.

Also not sure if Sonic Fair SHFFL hits people on platforms but might be good to test.

Vultron

Smash Apprentice
Following enemy and they're starting tech Chase start aerial down B. If you time it right you can follow up super easy with every option covered.

Also not sure if Sonic Fair SHFFL hits people on platforms but might be good to test.
It does if you hold of on your Fair until the apex of your short hop, just tested it myself.

Getsafe

Smash Apprentice
A few questions,

For side B JCgrab, I'm having trouble getting the grab if the actual hitbox connects. It works every once in a while though.
Is this an opponent DI thing or a timing thing on my part?

For Down B stuff
Sonic computers pretty consistently down B me to the edge and then jump Dair to bring me up and spike. Again, I can do this occasionally but usually I'll end up flubbing the spike window or (very rarely) missing altogether.
Is this a DI thing or an error on my part?

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
A few questions,

For side B JCgrab, I'm having trouble getting the grab if the actual hitbox connects. It works every once in a while though.
Is this an opponent DI thing or a timing thing on my part?
If the grab never comes out, you're missing the timing. I don't know if it's possible to DI Side-B out of grab range. You can certainly mess up Sonic's Side-B with crouch canceling, but that isn't going to avoid the grab.

For Down B stuff
Sonic computers pretty consistently down B me to the edge and then jump Dair to bring me up and spike. Again, I can do this occasionally but usually I'll end up flubbing the spike window or (very rarely) missing altogether.
Is this a DI thing or an error on my part?
I don't know the percents for comboing Down B into dair, but I do know the hit box that spikes begins right at the start of the move. Also, since that hitbox is at the very beginning of the move, it's located very close to Sonic's body. When you cancel The Down-B jump with dair, if you are too far above your opponent, you won't get the spike.

Last edited:

Getsafe

Smash Apprentice
No I know how to JCgrab lol,
But they get sent out of grab range most of the time resulting in a whiff and I'm not sure why. (I'm doing the input while they're being hit).

If they CC or shield I get the grab every time but if the hitbox(es) connect I grab air 90% of the time

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
Have you noticed the percents you usually miss at? I think it misses at higher percents. Honestly, it's been so long since I've been in the lab with Sonic, I can't remember this stuff anymore. I just remember that at some point I decided short hop aerial or wavedash were safer choices out of Side-B.

Off-topic but, are you a part of the Wisconsin Smash facebook group?

Getsafe

Smash Apprentice
Have you noticed the percents you usually miss at? I think it misses at higher percents. Honestly, it's been so long since I've been in the lab with Sonic, I can't remember this stuff anymore. I just remember that at some point I decided short hop aerial or wavedash were safer choices out of Side-B.

Off-topic but, are you a part of the Wisconsin Smash facebook group?
Yeah I thought it was just high % at first too but it's seemingly random

I am! Are you a WI sonic?

Player -0

Smash Hero
Pretty sure Side B and Down B can be DI'ed out of. I haven't gone through and tested it a lot but for side B if the opponent is in the air I'm pretty sure they can DI down and tech (you can tech chase if you didn't input the JC grab).

I actually tested this (was prompted by this guy on tier list speculation, name eludes me). Sonic's Side-B is actually amazing vs. CC'ing. If we (me and friend) did it right then only a couple of either invincible or really fast moves can get out of the JC grab (you can buffer spotdodge/roll iirc). For example, Peach is CC'ing Sonic's Side B she can't get out a D-Smash in time (I don't remember what frame it comes out). If Fox or Falco is CC'ing Sonic's Side B they can get shine out.

Hope that made sense.

Top Bottom