• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
I'm hoping they don't continue to make big patches. I understand for now as the game is early and I think they used a lot of things as a way to test for bugs, glitches, and obvious fixes. Just want the game to have room to breathe before people ***** and moan for patches.

A lot of us are still around. We don't let jokes die.

There are a fair amount of newcomers though, but we sorta took command. Having prior knowledge of Brawl and being able to share what's the same and what has changed. It's easier for us to do the bulk of the research and testing as we already have a base and advanced understanding of the character.

Not to say there haven't been valid contributions from people new to the scene though, but Brawl Sonic boards definitely live on...

:093:

Oh excellent. I've been trying to find out what, specifically is different and what's the same with Sonic in this version. So far playing him has been one of the most natural transitions for me from Brawl but some things still feel really different and I'm not quite used to. Clearly I need to dig around this board some. Since I may end up maining Sonic again.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Oh excellent. I've been trying to find out what, specifically is different and what's the same with Sonic in this version. So far playing him has been one of the most natural transitions for me from Brawl but some things still feel really different and I'm not quite used to. Clearly I need to dig around this board some. Since I may end up maining Sonic again.
The transition is pretty painless, outside of a couple things. Biggest downsides imo are...

- Bair landing lag
- Spindash jump storing is ****ed
- ASCSC removed

But definitely refer to the guide and FAQ for more in-depth breakdowns and stuff.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Painless? I've been in nothing but agony since the change. My traditional setups and whatnot no longer work, or work at starkly different percents. :applejack:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'd say in comparison to some other character transitions and the ultimate rewards we get from the transition, it's overall pretty painless.

Like I said, a couple things piss me off (mostly the spindash and double jump BS) but for the most part, yeah. We got a pretty good deal.

Oh, and the Dair autocancel distance. It's like not that big of a deal but it still really gets to me.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
True and I were on Skype a few days ago messing with Sonic in training mode.
It's that stupid flipping animation he has on his dair now. If it weren't for that stupid flip... :applejack:

kataridragon

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if this was mentioned or noticed anywhere else on these boards but side b's invincibility frames are invincible to Charizard side b.

Kinda weird. Makes my curious how invincible side b is. It was just projectile invulnerable in brawl right?

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
No. It was invincible in Brawl. Only disjoints beat it, and that only applies to the iSDR. If you were just in the hop, nothing could hit you. :applejack:

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
Now, all of those changes as shown above(especially SD magically removing a jump) sucks. But there's one thing that gets to me:

SPRING+BAIRing ISN'T AS EASY TO DO ANYMORE

GO TO HELL VECTORING

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
So I made a quality test ( dont have a hd capture card and this is the best i can get)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU7gtNUu8-I
I feel like a lot of this was just tossing out moves at random.

Also, a lot of whiffed grabs. Should not be letting yourself miss that much with Sonic's grab, considering how amazing it is. Grab with intent and precision.

The final Usmash was nice, but felt unintentional as well.

GO TO HELL VECTORING
Vectoring was removed, wasn't it? From the matches I've been playing, regular DI feels to be back.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I thought that only vertical vectoring was gone?

hmm
Yeah, I dunno. The whole thing is stupid.

As far as I can tell, DI is back, and so is SDI (But just not nearly as strong as it was in Brawl).

But there's this stupid thing that they kept which is even included in the game as a "Tip". Holding down when getting hit by something with horizontal knockback (crouching before getting hit) actually helps you live LONGER. Which sounds STUPID.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Cammy, as far as i can tell. Down b hits shield a lot, and side b only hits shields once. I dont know any info about the the aerial variants, but thats what ive notices

Last edited:

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
It was just a random replay I had from like an hour of playtime with the wiiu version+gamepad due to having no other options for a controller, also that USmash was 100% totally intentional :p and most of the grabs were meant to be shields since I wasnt quite used to the way the triggers are assigned in realtion to my finger placements

Last edited:
NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Should have videos of matches up soon. But yesterday i had a good day, taking 1st in both singles and doubles as well as 4v4 teams. Though i will say diddy is obnoxious. literally there were like 5-6 people just using diddy kong for the sake of having dthrow to uair KO's near guaranteed.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Cammy, as far as i can tell. Down b hits shield a lot, and down b only hits shields once. I dont know any info about the the aerial variants, but thats what ive notices
Word, I think it lies in the Down B. I got my buddy's recording equipment so if I have time I'll try to capture it. What interests me the most is that not only does the spin slow down when it hits the shield, but I could do a VSDJ-esque thing after.
It was just a random replay I had from like an hour of playtime with the wiiu version+gamepad due to having no other options for a controller, also that USmash was 100% totally intentional :p and most of the grabs were meant to be shields since I wasnt quite used to the way the triggers are assigned in realtion to my finger placements
It's all good. So far I've only played this game on the GC and I don't know if I want to try anything else.

Good Usmash, and my friend who is an amazing Brawl player just tried out Wii U version with me the other day and he was telling me how running shield feels really different. I must've started to get used to it already, but the timing on shielding and teching are different in this game. You can't just stop running on a dime with shield... Needs to be more preemptive.
Should have videos of matches up soon. But yesterday i had a good day, taking 1st in both singles and doubles as well as 4v4 teams. Though i will say diddy is obnoxious. literally there were like 5-6 people just using diddy kong for the sake of having dthrow to uair KO's near guaranteed.
Maybe I'll upload some random For Glory stuff just to get things out there too.

I have this hilarious kill on a Pac-Man that I'm dubbing The CaMELONge combo. Definitely expect to see that.

Last edited:
NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
once the matches fro doubles get posted i'l link them. I get some pretty crazy KO's i literally KO diddy kong in like 15 seconds and then the same happens to falco.

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
But there's this stupid thing that they kept which is even included in the game as a "Tip". Holding down when getting hit by something with horizontal knockback (crouching before getting hit) actually helps you live LONGER. Which sounds STUPID.

When you're on the ground, holding down prior to being hit appears to drastically reduce knockback, no matter what direction it sends you. Though, you can't completely negate hitstun, like crouch cancelling allowed.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
When you're on the ground, holding down prior to being hit appears to drastically reduce knockback, no matter what direction it sends you. Though, you can't completely negate hitstun, like crouch cancelling allowed.
I know that it's from the ground, that's why I clarified by saying crouching, but I'm completely aware it's not the same as crouch canceling. Trust me. I should've been more clear.

It infuriates me that people call it crouch canceling because it's obviously not.

Although I thought it was only for horizontal, so that's weird. Maybe that's why people thought that vertical vectoring was still in the game, but really they were just crouching before the hit.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Crossposting for posterity's sake.

Blue hedgehog can't catch a break.

-Alternate universe games bomb because more terrible than imagined
-Palutena outspeeds him with customs
-"FIGHTING HIM IS CANSUUUUURRRRR!" cries everywhere because spin dash doesn't suck anymore
-Can't even taunt mofos with "You're too slow"

Being a Sonic fan is suffering.

(Now if only someone would remake this gif with Palutena laughing at him instead)

Last edited:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I feel like a lot of this was just tossing out moves at random.

Also, a lot of whiffed grabs. Should not be letting yourself miss that much with Sonic's grab, considering how amazing it is. Grab with intent and precision.

The final Usmash was nice, but felt unintentional as well.

Vectoring was removed, wasn't it? From the matches I've been playing, regular DI feels to be back.

Give the guy a break, yo. The way it seems played it, it must've been a laggy-ass For-Glory match with cookie-cutter Greninja #489723472389.

*Shiver.* Online, man...

Anyway, I still hold the opposite direction because I'm bad this game and I don't feel like making the effort to find out the optimal way to survive ATM other than "don't get hit."

It's... honestly not that hard. In fact, I'll be willing to admit most of my Spring > Bair inputs were unintentional. For some reason, I don't know which way I'm facing more than not, and apparently I don't slide my thumb all the way up on the D-Pad and it just comes out as a boot... to the head... which kills... Yeah~...

Blue hedgehog can't catch a steak.
FTFY.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
AOSTH is still awesome, got the whole boxset.

Wifi warrior mode as we're talking about FG. Just lost my first match game 28. Infact lost 3 in a row out of 30. Two bottles of wine. AlcoLOL

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I got the first season box and regretted every penny.
But it was okay because I bought the SatAM full show that same day. :applejack:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Just finished a huge online tourney out of 219 entrants. I think I got 11th. I'll find out when the results are posted.

Jtails, Jerm, Mew2King, Zero, Nairo, so many good people are in this tourney.

I'm happy with how I did.

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
Although I thought it was only for horizontal, so that's weird. Maybe that's why people thought that vertical vectoring was still in the game, but really they were just crouching before the hit.

Yea, I imagine this is where the confusion came from as well, especially seeing as the amount of knockback reduced is very noticeable. It's quite shocking honestly.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Give the guy a break, yo. The way it seems played it, it must've been a laggy-*** For-Glory match with cookie-cutter Greninja #489723472389.

*Shiver.* Online, man...
Honestly I've had some flawless connections on For Glory. I have some terribad ones now and then, but it's not nearly as much of an excuse as it was in Brawl.

Plus I was just being honest. I don't think I was being too much of an ass? I don't get to watch a lot of people's videos so when I do, I will critique.
Anyway, I still hold the opposite direction because I'm bad this game and I don't feel like making the effort to find out the optimal way to survive ATM other than "don't get hit."
You're gonna call me out when you're goin' around sayin' stuff like this???
AOSTH is still awesome, got the whole boxset.

I got the first season box and regretted every penny.
But it was okay because I bought the SatAM full show that same day. :applejack:
SatAM is amazing, but I like AoSTH for what it is too. Grew up with both. Two totally different shows with very different appeal, but still great in their own respective ways.
Just finished a huge online tourney out of 219 entrants. I think I got 11th. I'll find out when the results are posted.

Jtails, Jerm, Mew2King, Zero, Nairo, so many good people are in this tourney.

I'm happy with how I did.
Congrats! Who did you lose to?
Yea, I imagine this is where the confusion came from as well, especially seeing as the amount of knockback reduced is very noticeable. It's quite shocking honestly.
It somewhat encourages what used to be a terrible mindset. Crouch canceling was really only utilized at low percents, and otherwise you would never DI down into the abyss.

Granted, this isn't DI'ing down or even crouch canceling as much as it is preemptively holding down to reduce knockback, but still. I'd rather encourage the mindset of proper DI instead of encouraging people to crouch before a big hit... Or rewarding people who got lucky from accidentally holding down.

Last edited:

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
There was nothing wrong with camalanges criticisim on my Slnic as far as I remember there was np real lag, as i stated earlier it was mainly due to lol gamepad and me not having adjusted yet

(i apologise for any spelling errors im on my phone)

Last edited:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Got WiiU smash this weekend.
Entered a tournament too.
Holy **** I love sonic in this game so damn much.

Anyway, I didn't lose a single game, but sadly I had to leave early because dumb work related bull****, So no 1st place for me.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You're gonna call me out when you're goin' around sayin' stuff like this???

I was waiting for something like this to come out

Ninjalink is a pretty cool dude, figures out **** and doesn't afraid of anything.

So, instinctively speaking, I wasn't wrong. :p

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
Dthrow tech chasing is too good. Best part is, people think i'm simply messing with them by doing it all the time, when in reality, they just keep falling for it.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
I hit a new low point yesterday and lost two times to a dodge roll spamming Samus. First round was me playing as Cap as I was hoping to contribute to the Conquest, while I switched to Sonic the second round in order to utilize his long dash attack to punish the rolls. I still got totally lamed out, even when playing as the king of laming out.

I'm a fraud of the highest order.

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
I hit a new low point yesterday and lost two times to a dodge roll spamming Samus. First round was me playing as Cap as I was hoping to contribute to the Conquest, while I switched to Sonic the second round in order to utilize his long dash attack to punish the rolls. I still got totally lamed out, even when playing as the king of laming out.

I'm a fraud of the highest order.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
I have been off my game lately as well. I think after my tournament Ive been working on improving but thinking about tech, yomi, and using sonics moves to full potential is messing up my game a bit. Its like it puts me on auto pilot for everything else but what Im thinking about. My head isn't in the match but more in theory fighting while in the match.

I hope that made sense.

Top Bottom