• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I dunno about RC being so bad, technically you have to keep moving, which is bad for a campy char like T.Link. I can't be sure though, since I really hate the stage (because it gays me a lot...) and have no idea what could go on there with T.Link.

Final D is not a bad idea, but not your best bet Malcolm.

I also think Yoshi's Isle (Brawl) could be a good idea too, since the Shy Guys can get in the way of projectiles, not to mention they refresh your kill moves.

Seriously though, I want to know CP stages though.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
a fresh bair from TL kills u upwards @ 150. a nair from TL kills u @ 150 a upair from tlink can kill U at somewhere around the 100 mark. his uptilt will kill u @ around the same percent as upsmash...mayb 10% more...but its alot safer on block. his upsmash kills 120ish his Dsmash takes along time to kill his fsmash should never kill u.

I dont think he has killing problems @ all. he has alot of options in the 150 range which isnt an incredibly high % for brawl. i think sonic scoring a kill move in between all of the projectiles and retreating aerials is what makes the matchup so far in TLs favor.
once you hit 150% alot of moves are able to kill. bair and Nair are not killing moves. They rack up damage until they can kill but they aren't kill moves especially considering how often they are used. Its like sayign how at 200% you can kill with Link's bombs. They obviously don't kill until much higher percent an d are used too frequently to matter.

The issue s that TL lacks killing setups. I do not believe he ha any guaranteed killing setups. so when facing Sonic, it becomes a more annoying issue because of how Sonic camps just outside of TL's range in order to remain safe.

killing itself isn't the issue, landing the kill is.

RC is good for Tl the same reason it is good for Link.
They have the aility to control the stage better than most other characters because of the behavior of their moves. =p

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I'm not so sure about Bair not being a kill move though... you'll only land 3-4 at most in one session, and you can use a bunch of other things (pummels, jabs, and other aerials come to mind) to make Bair fresh again. Just FYI Bair is our 3rd best K.O. move if not the best one that can be used anywhere we want to.

Boxobairs make it 80:20 our favor though.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I'm not so sure about Bair not being a kill move though... you'll only land 3-4 at most in one session, and you can use a bunch of other things (pummels, jabs, and other aerials come to mind) to make Bair fresh again. Just FYI Bair is our 3rd best K.O. move if not the best one that can be used anywhere we want to.

Boxobairs make it 80:20 our favor though.
Yeah but at 150% alot of moves become kill moves.
hell eventually you could kill someoenw ith marth's Fair in melee.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I would say this match up is 6/4 toon link. Mainly because sonic has a hard time killing like toon link does. And he's going to have to approach to do anything. This is where we start setting up for kills. But if the sonic keeps the pressure on us with his speed, then it can cause some trouble.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
boss and i are doing team MMs with that name but im fairly sure i will b teaming with NL @ CoT4

jaybee imma b in MD TONIGHT so go to i think its actually Deez's tourney since the C3 thread was looking dead. ill c u there =D
darn you, just as i made plans to go to fredeicksburg... i can't go tonight BUT i am going to C3. you need to go. i command it.

edit: lets face it: nair and bair are for damage, and if it kills then thats icing. Fair, FSmash are the usual options imo. Im gonna look at some vids later to confirm this.

finally showed up on the sonic boards, Lobos? And maybe if I win a few matches at C3 you can call me a master, your expectations are unbearable (actually, that was Lukky's fault, wasn't it?)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I actually use fair to rack up damage... Nair is just my GTFO, because it sucks for damaging-racking AND killing... I can only think of nair as another offstage gimper or something of the sort.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Hello Sonic boards.

Toon Link can have trouble with Sonic.
He can use upb to aviod projectiles.
Our bair combo can be escaped with his upb.
Hes nearly ingimpable.
But hes a gimping master.
Our ground game is better than his but... it doesn't dominate his.
His air game looses to ours.
His spindash is intercepted by any projectiles.
Unless he is in the hop of the side b during the invincibilty frames.
He has less kill moves.
But again he'll mostly be gimping.
But its not that easy.

He will be approaching.
So this will help Toon Link get kills.
He is rather light.
He is acctually mid weight.
He has priority issues.
I believe Toon Link's priority is overall better.
His moves aren't really suited for short characters.

Even though he is the fastest character his moves have start up lagg and abit of ending lagg.

Did I hit some good points?
Got any questions?

Daisy-Fan

Smash Journeyman
Hello iRjOn!
In what I see you got problem agains sonic.

The only thing that will help you agains sonic is play more agains sonic, practices again cpu level 9 sonic
and you will see your problem.
goodnight. ^^

Daisy-Fan

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
Hello Sonic boards.

{good points}

Did I hit some good points?
Got any questions?
you pretty much hit it on the nail. That said if you play your bomb game and if you guys have mastered the bombslides for better spacing vs our pressure game then I could see it giving me trouble. IDK I'd have to play against more TLs, but from what I've played so far the SDCs [spin dash cancel] and ASC cancels I've been using have baited out a ton of arrows/boomerangs that I could pretty handily punish the lag for.

Maybe I've just been playing against scrubs though.

Tenki

Smash Hero
The only thing that will help you agains sonic is play more agains sonic, practices again cpu level 9 sonic
I forgot when, but there was this really really old quote I had said some time ago.

something along the lines of "a level 9 computer cannot compare to the confusing mess that is a Sonic main"

Daisy-Fan

Smash Journeyman
I forgot when, but there was this really really old quote I had said some time ago.

something along the lines of "a level 9 computer cannot compare to the confusing mess that is a Sonic main"
hehe ^^

Yeah, in will cant compare humain agains computer player, true. Sorry am really wrong now. xD

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

THE TRUTH SHALL HAUNT YOU AND YOU KNOW IT!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Werehog still sucks

but in anycase level 9 Sonic actually can learn a few things from humans apparently.

The computer actually uses a pseudo spincharge, you know, where he spins without the aura.

Oh and get this, the computer and spincharge off the edge and spinshotted.
It NEVER did that before.
I was so amazed that I edgehogged him.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
HOLY CRAP!
Greenstreet back from samoa?
:O Bout time.

:093:
Yeah, I'll write a blog about it maybe so I can let you all know about the crazy funny things that happened...

Looks like I have some 'in' jokes to catch up on, like having banned in our display pic....among other things... any new techs discovered in the last 6 weeks?

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Ehh I can handle Sonic.
But good Sonic main can cause a prob to any character.
When M2K said Sonic wasn't tournament viable what a lie that was.

Now Toon Link vs Sonic

its definately in Toon Links favor.
But not by too much probally 60:40 or so

But you all dont have any input on this?
o.o

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
really good sonic mains are so few and far between...

good tink mains are the same way,

so we dont really cross paths all that much.

none of us really want to comment on the match cause none of us really play it.

although i did play xiivis tink last night, i realised that i felt like I had to do a crapload of standing still and a ton of walking to get in between the projectile wall

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I can't stand either of the Links, they just run away to throw boomrangs and get bombs and arrows. N-air/F-air/B-air all end in Quickdraw when SH. If Toon Link throws up a bomb and doesn't pressure you, get the bomb and become top tier character,

iRjOn

Smash Lord
I believe it in Toon Links favor because Sonic has less kill power and fewer kill moves than Toon Link.
I still believe that Sonics kills probally will be gimps.
But it is still rather difficult to gimp Toon Link.
But its not that hard.
Do you understand that?
Sound alittle confusing to me idk.
But a Toon Link will not stop but really really nagg all of Sonics approach options.
Sonic has nothing really over Toon Link except his ability to gimp, being difficult to gimp, and his speed.

These are good factors but Toon Link has some answers for these problems.

Do you all feel me?
Or I need to explain more?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
well so far I understand what you are trying to say as to why the match will play out the way it does, but if you dont mind can you give us a little insight into your character, like common tactics, common traps you tend to use, specific techniques you employ, frequently used moves, things like that.

so far I do know that with the reduced hit stun, if you hit them with certain moves, they will z air out of hit stun early and if their positioning is right, they can tether the ledge right out of hit stun, and it allows them to quickly counter attack from the ledge.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
TL has the B-air string at low %, try to Spring out though. He also has projectiles. And yeah, the shield button works, but I can't follow when he uses that :[ And shield button on wifi sucks.

EDIT: another trick is SH N-air > quickdraw arrow. As I said, B-air/N-air/F-air can all be quickdrawed. Also TL can SH double arrow, one normal on the rise, one quickdraw.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Toon Links Bread and butter moves are
bair
it combos on all of the cast
Zair
uses somewhat like you said KID and it leads into so many moves.
I'mma talk zair talk for now.
zair can lead to RAR
zair>nair
zair>bomb throw>usmash(VG combo)
Things such as that
zair is our kill set up at times zair>upsmash.

But continuing
nair is another one of our bread and butters.
its a great OoS option for Toon Link.

Utilt not nessicarly a bread and butter move just it can be linked into alot or even kill.

Common tactics of Toon Link...
there really are none Toon Links only objective in this match is to keep Sonic outta his face.
So Camping, all Toon Links will camp here but almost every Toon Link camps different.

But Toons use AT's still
I'll explain them if you wish just ask I'll be glad to.

SHDA(short hop double arrow)
JCT(jump canceled throw)
Bow Cancel

Are the AT's you will almost always see.

Top Bottom