• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
honestly we dont know, cus for every character in the game theres somebody here that thinks sonic goes 50-50 with them.

except MK

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
A campy ROB to me is the most boring thing in the world. And its not even tricky. its routine is so basic and "robotic" to me. but its still so gay that it doesn't even matter. I dont even care about the projectiles. who cares. if sonic wanted to, he could just run away and dodge, dodge dodge, but he cant seem to do anything midrange against ROB at at all. I was playing a campy ROB today, and although i didn't have my controller (john 1) and I wasn't my usually Kojin mobiliy, it just seems like all ground based tricks are useless. IF you can get a ROB to stop camping and move from one spot you are a ****ing genius. Now, if by some miracle you get close and he doesn't spam DSmash, you can do damgae and get him above you, but IDK. this is why in need a legit secondary: to beat gayness with gayness, and enjoy the non thinking process that they do.

as you can see, im a bit upset tonight.

questions:
1: what's the best stages to take ROB?
2: is dodging lasers and gyros from a distance until ROB moves to you a legit tactic?

how people can enjoy playing this character, I'll never understand...

Tenki

Smash Hero
something like that.

just chuck in ROB/Marth/Snake/Falco/Pikachu/Yoshi/Olimar and some other characters in the 'Sonic's tougher matchups' category.

But since alot of us just try to mindgame and prey on player habits, we tended to feel some matchups to be more even than others lol.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
HEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLL NAW!

But, you will find out that most of sonic's matchups are never really breach 40:60. This means that many of his bad matchups can be debated as workable with the right mindset...
He really is, IMO the definition of a mid level character in tournies: He doesn't have a strong advantage over anyone really, but in the same sence Not many characters have a severe advantage over him.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
but he cant seem to do anything midrange against ROB at at all
Well, it seems like you don't have a problem with getting past projectiles, so that's good.

Now, the thing about ROB is that you should never try to beat out his ground game. I personally use a lot of Foxtrot SideB cancels to kinda get my spacing around him, but still fake him out. Then I spam ASC...seriously. It's really what you have to do. Spam ASC and Uair. Fair is also a very good move, heck, spaced Bairs kick *** too. You have to fight ROB in the air. Don't try and beat him on the ground, because you won't.

When KID mentioned "the dead zone" there really is a dead zone. Once you're in the range outside of his tilts, and not far enough to be camped, you can target his head. It can only be protected with Fsmash or Laser, but from midrange, ASC is fast enough. This matchup requires ASC and Uair spam.

If you haven't already, please check out my write up for more information.

questions:
1: what's the best stages to take ROB?
2: is dodging lasers and gyros from a distance until ROB moves to you a legit tactic?
1: Battlefield - Rainbow Cruise - Brinstar?
2: No. ROB will forever camp you until YOU approach.

how people can enjoy playing this character, I'll never understand...
Me neither...me neither...

:093:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I still don't understand how Sonic at a disadvantage to Yoshi.

And Pikachu is suppose to be 45:55, which is still pretty even.

It's just personal preference, but I really have little trouble with the rat.

And then you have people who could even argue that MK is one of Sonic's 45:55-4:6 matchups.

Anyway it would seem like you would want to take R.O.B. to RC. He'll have to be constantly moving around, which means no ground game for him, and charging a Gyro is about as useful as Mario's DTilt.

Except Mario's DTilt > Sonic.

ViCTORiOUSViC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
vmp5511
HEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLL NAW!

But, you will find out that most of sonic's matchups are never really breach 40:60. This means that many of his bad matchups can be debated as workable with the right mindset...
He really is, IMO the definition of a mid level character in tournies: He doesn't have a strong advantage over anyone really, but in the same sence Not many characters have a severe advantage over him.
so itz pretty much all even after all..wut abt aganist a Ganondorf or Captain Falcon? i kno Sonic has 2 have an advantage over them

Tenki

Smash Hero
neutral, if they're any good.

But good Ganondorf and Falcon players are almost as rare as good Sonic players lol.

imo.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
disadvantage in Fox? LOL
They're pretty much both punishment based characters, but Fox punishes harder. You could argue they're even because Fox kills more easily on the ground, but Sonic can gimp Fox a lot more easily...but I have a feeling Fox will be Usmashing you more than he gets spring gimped.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Yeah i have to agreed with cam on this one seeing foxes love to spam upsmash and dair sonic has a hard time trying to find an opening during those points. But I also think that sonic best fox when i comes to recovery due to all the possible punishing that could be dealt to him like his fox flash can be canceled if you upsmash it and while he is using his up-b you can bair him and then bair again to force him under the stage. But thats only if such an opportunity comes up during a match.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I say we move on to Lolimar or G&W or Marth or Wolf...

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I vote 60:40 ROB.

If someone says otherwise...ignore them.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Cam, the dead zone for sonic is between the range of RObs d tilt and his f tilt in front of him, and realise that part of the reason ROB has a good matchup on snake is because robs f tilt easily out ranges snakes first f tilt. and in that range, all of sonics moves are out ranged and outprioritised by ROBs dtilt, jab and ftilt in this range, and so sonic has to not get caught in ther at all. and its hard when its so easy to get put there

Tenki, stop filliing these kids heads with lies, sonic beats Cf and ganon.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
i want to disagree a bit on fox. the upsmash is good, but once you are in killing percents, you should be able to bait and punish those easily as sonic. they are going to go for them. this is fact. all of fox's ground kill moves are easy to bait and punsih actually. with sonic. and we don't have to leave ourselves open with laggy moves like Fsmash beacuse we have the option of gimping them. the only real advantage i see fox having on sonic is that his target combo is easier to do and land.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
people need to learn a few key points

1. dont roll around marth, that is dancing blade bait.

2. dont try to space marth, that only makes you eat tippers.

3. if he fairs your shield you can fair him oos before the second fair comes out

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
dancing blade is the key here for marths against sonic. spamming that, sonic can do nothing but hope he blocks it all. then the really good ones mindgame grabs from it, and bait defensive measures that marths can capitolize on. A sonic will eventually get to a marth if they simply spam aerials, and from what I've seen and from personal experience, he can get a lot of damage on him if he gets a throw/ launching move in, because under marth is probably the best spot to attack him/ bait airdodges. I don't know where to place this matchup, for some reason. I feel as though I can get in if im patient. Edgegaurding wise, though sonic has a better recovery, he can't do anything consistant to marth outside of popping springs on him, but marth has an answer to sonics recovery options, though this is balanced somewhat by sonics wide number of options.

Patience makes or breaks sonic against the high tiers, and unfortunately, only a handful of sonics truly possess it.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
This trick as Marth just randomly came up on me, cause I never could finish Dancing Blade. I would do the first 2 hits, then charge a neutral B and break shield and go LOL. Some catch on to it and i sometimes do 1/3 strikes.

Tenki

Smash Hero
you can SDI through Marth's multi poke dancing blade and get at least a U-air 1 off of it.

And apparently you can also run through or grab Marth during some of the transition intervals.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I know you guys originally received our input when listing Wario as 60:40, but I honestly think that matchup is way too lenient for Sonic. After playing with Espy/Puffball some more it should be at least 65:35. It's kind of crazy b/c he can go head to head with some of our best MKs and Marths and GWs but he ALWAYS has trouble with my Wario...

Though I guess I'll try to see if I can get him to post here about it.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Well, it could be person specific, that Espy just has a lot of trouble with it which can't be helped with all matchup exp, like me with TL :(
We're still gonna look into Wario though.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Yeah i have to agreed with cam on this one seeing foxes love to spam upsmash and dair sonic has a hard time trying to find an opening during those points. But I also think that sonic best fox when i comes to recovery due to all the possible punishing that could be dealt to him like his fox flash can be canceled if you upsmash it and while he is using his up-b you can bair him and then bair again to force him under the stage. But thats only if such an opportunity comes up during a match.
KC, both are easy to biat and punish. Everything you said is baw.

The only reason the stupid matchup is in Fox's favor is because we were pushovers back then.... wait a minute NO! I was the one back then who said it was suppose to be even FFS!

Where you guys at?!

I say we move on to Lolimar or G&W or Marth or Wolf...

No LOLimar unless we only discuss it amoungst ourselves, and no G&W unless we discuss it without A2 again or because we already went over it sometime ago.

Gaymenwatch please.

I hate that little ******* ;>_>
Read: Above.

Oh, are we done already?

Edit: So is it 60:40 or still 55:45 R.O.B?
4:6 R.O.B.'s favor, anything else is being too optimistic.

Marth has a piss big sword :(
Defensive Marth gives more trouble than aggresive Marth. But this is Brawl.
And yet it got nerfed from May-Lay.

This trick as Marth just randomly came up on me, cause I never could finish Dancing Blade. I would do the first 2 hits, then charge a neutral B and break shield and go LOL. Some catch on to it and i sometimes do 1/3 strikes.
Do that, and I punish you with a jab/tilt/grab.

Don't give me any BS either if anybody is thinking that, I fight Marth's... good ones BTW, offline.

Isn't that the point of spacing? Lol. If you space well enough you'll be right out of tipper range :p
No.

You don't want to have to worry about spacing in this matchup because you don't want to get tippers, and Marth already beats you out on anything you have.

I know you guys originally received our input when listing Wario as 60:40, but I honestly think that matchup is way too lenient for Sonic. After playing with Espy/Puffball some more it should be at least 65:35. It's kind of crazy b/c he can go head to head with some of our best MKs and Marths and GWs but he ALWAYS has trouble with my Wario...

Though I guess I'll try to see if I can get him to post here about it.
No, that's cool, some of us even admit Wario is one of Sonic's hardest matchup.

But the trouble is a lot of us like to fall right into Bites and of course we have to be picky about our actions or we get **** on/other crap.

Maybe we can go over Wario sometime soon, and we can talk specifics, although I really could not care wather there was a 5 point difference, I just feel it could be 4:6 Wario's favor.

Really? Lol, WELL THAT HAS TO CHANGE.
This.

Also I need help with Lucario. Somebody tell me what I can do that won't get me grabbed or Daired plz kthxbai.

I'm being serious here, nobody has ever given me this much trouble with just a few basic stuff, I feel way too helpless and I almost want to quit playing Sonic and pick up Marth because of him.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
It's not even bite that's the issue, really. Espy has gotten to the point where I will get him with 2 or 3 of those at best per round, it's just the rest of his pressure game and priority vs Sonic in general.

But yes, hit us up on the boards, preferably soon while I have our recent games fresh in my mind, haha, I'll try to pester him to start giving input :p

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Well certainly it would be a bit better if we didn't have to worry about whiffing attacks and getting chewed on, right?

It probably also doesn't help that even with Wario's low priority, he is still much better off than Sonic.

And again, as for pressure, there is a very high risk of Sonic has to approach, even moreso with Wario, but yet we can't do anything about it because we have no way to force an approach, and so long as Wario has a butt he can fart with, the pressure just keeps building up to press the attack even more.

*Sigh* How terrible, just thoughts like this keep me asking why do I still play Sonic when I could be like everybody else and take the easy way out...?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i figured that out long ago,

because youre an idiot.

if you wise up and realise that playing sonic makes you a stupid person, things with be better off for you

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I say Wario after Marth then, but first discuss Marth more :O
Kinzer you're bashing everyone lulz.
But yas, what I said was more of a trick to take advantage of an opponent thinking I finish the Dancing Blade.
Oh, Dancing Blade is a *****. I DI+SDI up all the hits of DB and spam Spring like crazy.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
It's not even bite that's the issue, really. Espy has gotten to the point where I will get him with 2 or 3 of those at best per round, it's just the rest of his pressure game and priority vs Sonic in general.

But yes, hit us up on the boards, preferably soon while I have our recent games fresh in my mind, haha, I'll try to pester him to start giving input :p
Um you don't out prioritize Sonic. Its actually the other way around.
Move for move Sonic actually outprioritizes Wario.
Its just the pressure game, your mobility, ability to take a **** every minute for a kill etc etc.

Top Bottom