• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ShadowPhoenix951

Smash Ace
Well now I finally have something to argue.

CGs aren't so reliable on Sonic (at least not the "switchbacks"), if they leave even a little bit of room for time, Sonic can just Spring out of them. Not only that, but the D-Throw to spike doesn't work on Sonic because of his Spring again (he can just use the instant-jump and if the ICs edgehog, he can footstool/attack them out of their invincibility frames).

Blizzard only stops Sonic's DIRECT approaches, what's stopping him from just taking it to the skies and attacking from above? (sorry Infzy, until I either see a desynced Blizzard/USmash/UTilt/Uair thingy in a video or done to me in person, I will think that all ICs are either using both to frontal blizzard, or whatever)
Problem with this. You say CGs aren't reliable on Sonic if they mess up. Here's the thing with IC. Good ones won't mess up the CG. If you get grabbed, and the IC is good, and both Nana and Popo are there, you will die.

Also, if you attack from above, prepare to take massive damage. Sonic moves like a dead fish in the air, and the IC have an amazing Uair. Even if one of them is doing Blizzard, the other is free to do whatever he wants. Easily 60:40 IC favor, if not better.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
im going to start using matchup ratios the right way, as a method to determine what ones chances of winning a match are.

and as such.:
sonic v ice climbers

30:70 ICs favor

Browny

Smash Hater
Correction; the best way to use matchup numbers is to not ever think about, post, or discuss them

for example,
Sonic vs Ice climbers is very difficult, dont ever expect to win a set against a competent IC main.

:)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Sonic beats ICs 100:0. Skydragon combo ***** them.

Skydragon is amazing. It eats steak for breakfest
BROILED steak.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
What's a Skydragon combo? lol
A SkyDragon combo is when you discover the Steaktastic-Anthinus Combo one year after the game's been released.

We can see it here, a wee bit too slow to prey on the angel steak...
...angel steak?

.....**** you Tenki. <3

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
ICs boards are discussing Sonic in our matchup thread. Help please.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
lol at the ICs needing our help in their matchup discussion.

heres the ICs matchup against sonic

when he spins at you(it doesnt even matter which spin), run away and pivot grab him.

GG

also, what DJB said

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
lol at the ICs needing our help in their matchup discussion.

heres the ICs matchup against sonic

when he spins at you(it doesnt even matter which spin), run away and pivot grab him.

GG

also, what DJB said
Use MEEP LOGIC!!!

Pivot grab > everything.
100:0 ICs.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
lul. well don't complain later when sonic has a half ***** summary and a really bad ratio.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
lul. well don't complain later when sonic has a half ***** summary and a really bad ratio.
Those days are over.
Now the complaining is trolling. Not that we've ever done that. Honestly, the Pika boards seem to troll the most.

That, and I'm horrible at write ups. I only play the game.

PS: What Umby said. You NEVER have an excuse to lose to Sonic. <333

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
There would be so much arguing and conflicted opinions, I question whether it's worth the effort for two characters who rely on so much theorycrafting.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208

A SkyDragon combo is when you discover the Steaktastic-Anthinus Combo one year after the game's been released.

We can see it here, a wee bit too slow to prey on the angel steak...
...angel steak?

.....**** you Tenki. <3
looooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

that is fantastic.

This pretty much somes up the IC vs Sonic MU pretty accurately.

:093:

fraudster111

Smash Apprentice
Is that skydragon combo a name now? I wanna know. My gnw pwns sonic now. Muhahahaha. It feels good it eat up spin dash with out bair. No offence to sonics XD

Umby

Smash Master
A few things:
1) There are two matchup legends on the first page. Do we need the on post #3?
2) The list of which guides are done should probably be worked into post #1, which gives the links to the character guides.
3) I personally believe MU guides (however organized through links) should be located on the first post (as well as any consecutive posts needed due to character limits). That's just me, though.
4) Post #2 is not ordered in compliance to the current tier list.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
A few things:
1) There are two matchup legends on the first page. Do we need the on post #3?
2) The list of which guides are done should probably be worked into post #1, which gives the links to the character guides.
3) I personally believe MU guides (however organized through links) should be located on the first post (as well as any consecutive posts needed due to character limits). That's just me, though.
4) Post #2 is not ordered in compliance to the current tier list.
1) Nope, I'll sort that out.
2) True, will do.
3) :/
4) Yep, will do.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
im going to start using matchup ratios the right way, as a method to determine what ones chances of winning a match are.

and as such.:
sonic v ice climbers

30:70 ICs favor
This is why no one considers you credible.

80-20 in Sonic's favor.

Now all I have to do is wait for people to agree with me without any logical discussion or debate.

Seriously, stop being stupid and spindashing at the IC's while they are ina neutral position where they can pivot grab you.

Thats not character attributes thats player failure.

If anything we SHOULD complain when the matchup ratios are inaccurate, because the matchup ratios are what help to define the characters ability overall.
What is the point of arguing for sonic to be lower mid tier if right now, the best you can offer is spitting out ratios without any reasonable argument?

Ah wait, you have me on ignore since you cant handle getting torn up in an argument.

Anyways, I would actually say the matchup isnt bad for Sonic. Primarily because as much as it may seem overrated, Sonic's movement and agility really is among the best. Of course, blizzard walls is something hard for any character to get through unless they have a projectile, but Sonic doesnt have to exactly try and push through, simply because we out manuever the IC's in every way.

The grabs arent really the issue, its everything else that the ice climbers possess. Desynched blizzards, blocks, the sheer strength and damage output of their attacks.
Their ability to wall and remain safe.

Of course this doesnt mean SOnic cannot deal with it, once he does make use of the small openings, he can separate the ice climbers and very easily keep them that way due to his superior speed.

Its no hard counter but the IC's do have an advantage.
do agree 60:40 to around 65:35.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
This is why no one considers you credible.

80-20 in Sonic's favor.

Now all I have to do is wait for people to agree with me without any logical discussion or debate.

Seriously, stop being stupid and spindashing at the IC's while they are ina neutral position where they can pivot grab you.

Thats not character attributes thats player failure.

If anything we SHOULD complain when the matchup ratios are inaccurate, because the matchup ratios are what help to define the characters ability overall.
What is the point of arguing for sonic to be lower mid tier if right now, the best you can offer is spitting out ratios without any reasonable argument?

Ah wait, you have me on ignore since you cant handle getting torn up in an argument.

Anyways, I would actually say the matchup isnt bad for Sonic. Primarily because as much as it may seem overrated, Sonic's movement and agility really is among the best. Of course, blizzard walls is something hard for any character to get through unless they have a projectile, but Sonic doesnt have to exactly try and push through, simply because we out manuever the IC's in every way.

The grabs arent really the issue, its everything else that the ice climbers possess. Desynched blizzards, blocks, the sheer strength and damage output of their attacks.
Their ability to wall and remain safe.

Of course this doesnt mean SOnic cannot deal with it, once he does make use of the small openings, he can separate the ice climbers and very easily keep them that way due to his superior speed.

Its no hard counter but the IC's do have an advantage.
do agree 60:40 to around 65:35.
We're still discussing this at the ICs boards. It's looks like it's gonna end around 50-50-55:45 as far as match-ups is concerned. We'll see though, but where the hell are all the Sonic's. I'm the only Sonic at the IC boards.

EDIT: Say, did I fight you with ICs offline at that poly training session SL84?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Nobody wants to talk about characters that require a whole buncha theorycrafting, and are hardly ever seen in the competitive scene, let alone pitting these two exact characters in an environment where it counts.

It also doesn't help that hardly anybody is playing Sonic anymore...

Trent

Smash Champion
I've never fought a good ICs, like, ever. So I wouldn't be able to contribute jack to their boards. "OMG DERS 2 O'DEM?!"

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
lol at shadowlink getting upset because he agrees that sonic gets ***** by ICs but for completely different reasons.

if we already have an understanding that their character ***** ours, than what point does it serve to argue about numbers that people dont even understand the meaning of if we are both coming to the same conclusion?

sonic loses to ICs really really hard. what more needs to be said?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Writing a matchup GUIDE going over every detail, and keeping it as accurate as can be, is the main purpose of this thread, not the stupid ratio that anybody can refute at the end.

Of course you don't care, and you don't know either, because you have me on ignore, but it's probably a lot better that way too, so I don't have to read whatever ******** counter-argument you may conjure next.

Top Bottom